Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling after wisdom tooth removal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swelling after wisdom tooth removal

I had my upper left wisdom tooth removed on Saturday morning. This tooth was kind of cracked in the side along the gum line, so the dentist suggested extracting it, as it would not be useful in chewing.

No X-Ray was taken prior to removing the tooth. The tooth was extracted with a some effort as it was attached tightly. After extraction stitches were put, which he said would be removed after a week. The swelling has not subsided even today i.e almost 4 days after extracting the tooth. There is a slight pain while opening my mouth. Is this normal or has something gone wrong ? How long does it take for the swelling to heal. I have not applied any ice or heat to the affected area. Also is it safe to brush the area where the tooth was extracted ? He says it is safe but from what I understand I should avoid brushing that area.

Thanks in advance,
James

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think the swelling should have subsidedsome by this point.If it has not then I think avisit to the dentist is called for with the possibility that antibiotics are necessary. At this point cold will be ineffective in reducing the swelling and heat is not the correct thing to do.
you may have an infection, although some swelling is expected in the days after an extraction. let your dentist know, and ask to be seen so it can be evaluated--