Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen left side of hard palate - around the arch of mouth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Yesterday I noticed a swelling at the top left of my mouth. Upon inspection, it appeared like a burn but was tender and only hurt when pressed. The pain when pressure is applied is reminiscent to shifting tooth pain (from braces) that I experienced years ago. I also have minor tooth pain on all of my upper left teeth. Taking a Motrin relieved the pain last evening, but this morning, the swelling was slightly worse.

I've had a cold for a while, accompanied by a cough and sore throat. I thought that maybe this swelling was due to dehydration, as I read that some runners have tooth pain and palate swelling from not drinking frequently enough. I am not a runner, but I probably need to drink more water and I have been spending a good deal of time around smokers.

I am a 25 year old male non-smoker in generally good health. Because I recently graduated, I am not covered by anything... and therefore am fending for myself until I get a job. Please let me know if this is serious!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Any swelling that lasts a couple of days should be examined. A visit now to the dentist may prevent more serious problems with more extensive fees.
I just wanted to let you know that for the past two weeks I have had EXACTLY the same symptoms as you and have been to doctor who sent me to the dentist who sent me to the dental specialist who sent me to the oral surgeon.  I still have yet to see the neurologist in 2 weeks.  At one point the pain was so unbearable in the roof of my mouth going up through my gums through my cheekbone to my ear and up through my nose to my head, my doctor prescribed vicadin as nothing else was even touching the pain.  So, with no insurance, your bills would have been HIGH.  Nobody has a clue what it is as of yet.  It has been two weeks since the symptoms started and the pain is now gone but the swelling is still going on back there in the left of the roof of my mouth, still a little tender to touch and now my uvula is swollen and it feels like I have something constantly stuck in my throat.  I doubt we will work out what it is before it goes away but I just wanted to let you know that if I find out anything I will let you know, as it seems we are both suffering with the same thing.  If you find out anything I would appreciate any input as to what on earth has been wrong with me for the past two weeks too.
Ok, after seeing the oral specialist again today, he seems to think that the scar tissue from where I had my tonsils out when I was a kid, got slightly inflammed and maybe infected.  He said that there are lymph nodes up in there too and they could have got a little infected.  Since no one caught it in time and it is on lits way out he is going to do nothing further.
What both of you have posted is eerily coincidental.  Two days ago I also developed a small swelling on the left side of my hard palate, or roof of mouth.  Yesterday the swelling increased to incorporate the majority of the left side.  
I also have just gone through the same unique series of ailments which started with a flu roughly two weeks ago.  The flu i experienced had its typical symptoms and was minor (only lasting a day).  What was different was that is was followed by laryngitis, a first for me, which caused me to partially loose my voice for three days.  
Immediately after the laryngitis ceased a new ailment began; bronchial spasms, dry cough, accompanied with a nasal drip and congestion in the back of my throat.  This continued for about four days and would usually worsen at the end of the day, hitting hardest right when I laid down to sleep.  
On the fourth night, while lying in bed, I had the strongest attack yet; literally coughing my brains out uncontrollably like something was stuck in the back of my throat.  I coughed so hard i though i would break a rib.  
The next morning the cough was gone but then began the next symptom, a swollen throat and swollen lymphatic tissue in the back of my throat.  It was not sore but rather felt like I had someone squeezing my throat, effective decreasing its diameter.  I last Friday I finally went to a doctor and she said that it was a viral infection and on the way out the door (I had concerns it was mononucleosis).  Sure enough, by Sunday my throat was returning to normal and I was feeling glad to get my full health back.  But then came the swollen palate, which has just pushed me over the edge.  
I think it is so interesting that I have gone through such a similar series of ailments before arriving at the same destination as the previous posters.
Here's some more information but no answer!  I have pretty much the same set of problems.  I have a swelling on the left roof of my mouth, hurts like hell, feels a bit like a burn and spreads pain up through my jaw, nose and ears and ends up as a headache.  I also have a small lump (maybe 4mm across) at the back-left of my throat (almost out of sight).  My dentist calls this a polyp, my doctor ways "what's a polyp, other than tissue growth caused by an infection or inflammation?".

He links this with either a viral infection or with hayfever.  I wish it would all go away.
A related discussion, PAIN ON PALATE was started.
A related discussion, Earach, pain on the roof of the mouth was started.
A related discussion, Pain and Swelling in palate of mouth was started.
A related discussion, Swollen Palate was started.
A related discussion, swelling of palate was started.
A related discussion, darkened taste buds was started.
A related discussion, 2010 was started.
A related discussion, Left side of Palate painful and swollen was started.
A related discussion, Related Symptoms? was started.