Dental Health Expert Forum
TONGUE PROBLEMS

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

TONGUE PROBLEMS

I have a white coated tongue i have been to the doctor and dentist for a diagnosis but no one seems to have a good enough answer for me.The doc told me it was thrush and that i should get tested for hiv.doctor placed me on nystatin for three months didnt clear up so i went to dentist. Dentist said that it was not thrush i just need to brush my tongue more often.so my question is should i believe the doc or dentist? If i brush my tongue the coating leaves but always returns i do drinnk alcohol and i use to smoke but not since the problem with the tongue occured i have been suffering from anxiety and stress before all of this also could that be the cause? oh yeah dont have any white patches in mouth just coating on tongue so can you tell me what might be going on with my tongue?Do you think this is a sign of disease such as Hiv if not what are other possibilities.One more thing i have been guilty of overusing listerine mouthwash as a replacement for brushing teeth in the past.I was tesetd for diabetes but test came back negative.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If the over use of the listerine was the problem I don't think it would isolate itself in the tongue. I think the other soft tissue of the mouth would be affected. It is possible that you have an allergy to alcohol, have that checked out. The last piece of advice would be to seek out an oral pathologist. You can locate them in a dental school or a teaching hospital. Have you seen an oral surgeon?
No I haven't seen a oral surgeon.So you don't think it has anything to do with HIV? I didn't know you could have an allergy to alcohol. Thanks for your quick response.
I have almost the same situation as you and I have no idea whats wrong with me??? I had a HIV test about three years ago... before before a had really bad breath and i had one spot by a tooth that would bleed I had a hard time smoking cigarettes no though I have a thick coating on my tongue and red spots on the tip and white spots on my toncils
Landfarm, How long have you had the coating on your tongue?
A related discussion, Spotted white tongue was started.