Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue Trouble

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tongue Trouble

I have seen all the posts here and I have had the same issue for just about 2 years now. My issue started with burning tongue and lips that would just go away for a few weeks only to return for several months. I have red blister like bumps all over the sides and tip of my tongue. Two very red raw spots in the middle near the tip of my tongue. At night while sleeping my tongue gets so dry it wakes me up. In the morning the problem is not as bad and I think today is the day it will go away.....Nope, as the day goes on it gets worse. Thank god for sugarless gum, that seems to be the best at making it better. I have been taking B-12 and as of last week using biotien tooth past and mouth wash. Both my Dentest and Dr have looked at it and neither seem worried about it.. I just want it to go away....
Is the tongue consistently red or does it have white patches on it that move around?  Is the blisters and sores due to a dry mouth and the trauma that can occur from lacking the saliva as a lubricant?  

There's a condition called burning mouth syndrome or burning tongue syndrome.  Have they considered that?
Ty for the reply Sir, the whiteness is down the middle looks like hair doesn't go more than 1/2 up my tongue from the back The redness is on the tip and sides where it hurts. The small red bumps do not move they look like swollen taste buds. I am going to see a  Oral surgeon today. I have used tobacco products on and off during my life. This morning when I woke up my tongue was super dry like always and I pressed it up on the roof of my mouth and sucked it. It started bleeding from a spot near the front in the center.
I would guess that its oral thrush, a fungal infection but what did your oral surgeon tell you?
A related discussion, burning tongue syndrome was started.