Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue Trouble
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tongue Trouble

I have seen all the posts here and I have had the same issue for just about 2 years now. My issue started with burning tongue and lips that would just go away for a few weeks only to return for several months. I have red blister like bumps all over the sides and tip of my tongue. Two very red raw spots in the middle near the tip of my tongue. At night while sleeping my tongue gets so dry it wakes me up. In the morning the problem is not as bad and I think today is the day it will go away.....Nope, as the day goes on it gets worse. Thank god for sugarless gum, that seems to be the best at making it better. I have been taking B-12 and as of last week using biotien tooth past and mouth wash. Both my Dentest and Dr have looked at it and neither seem worried about it.. I just want it to go away....
Related Discussions
540545_tn?1377626518
Is the tongue consistently red or does it have white patches on it that move around?  Is the blisters and sores due to a dry mouth and the trauma that can occur from lacking the saliva as a lubricant?  

There's a condition called burning mouth syndrome or burning tongue syndrome.  Have they considered that?
4 Comments
Blank
Ty for the reply Sir, the whiteness is down the middle looks like hair doesn't go more than 1/2 up my tongue from the back The redness is on the tip and sides where it hurts. The small red bumps do not move they look like swollen taste buds. I am going to see a  Oral surgeon today. I have used tobacco products on and off during my life. This morning when I woke up my tongue was super dry like always and I pressed it up on the roof of my mouth and sucked it. It started bleeding from a spot near the front in the center.
Blank
540545_tn?1377626518
I would guess that its oral thrush, a fungal infection but what did your oral surgeon tell you?
Blank
A related discussion, burning tongue syndrome was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now