Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue growth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tongue growth

I have a growth on my tongue that doesn't hurt.  It is located about 1 inch from the tip on the left side.  Looks kind of like a taste bud...is flat, same color as the tongue, and does not hurt.  Round, about 1/16" in diameter.  I also have another one further back that is smaller that is kind of like a flap that is not painless.   How do I know if these could be cancerous or not?  Should I have them looked at or are they normal.  The larger one has been on my tongue at least a month that I know about.  Never has bothered me.  I also have geometric tongue so I don't know if this plays into it or not.  
PS - there was no "topic" choice for tongue in my choices above so I chose Gum Disease as the closest possibility.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The geographic tongue could play a role, but to be sure you should have it looked at   by a dentist or an oral surgeon.
it does not sound like cancer but it is not possible to tell w/out seeing you. theefore, i'd have it evaluated by an oral surgeon.