Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth extraction and pain in another tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Three days ago I had a lower molar extracted.  This molar had been root canaled and crowned just over 2 years ago.  I was having a constant dull ache with the tooth day and night for 3 1/2 weeks straight.  My dentist and endodontist could not find anything wrong with it however there was a possibility that there was a fracture in the root itself. I asked that it be removed.

Now I'm having pain in the molar next to the tooth that was extracted - a dull ache day and night which I'm on Vicodin for.  At times the pain shoots up into my left ear.  This particular molar is heavily filled.  I've had extractions before in the past including impacted wisdoms however the next day after having the extractions done I felt great.  There was no problems.

Any ideas on what is going on this time?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Two possibilities that I can gather from your symtoms (symptoms). Either you have a dry socket which would be acute pain all the time, or it is the other tooth in the same area. I would think that an x-ray of that tooth and a pulp test would be in order.
Thanks for the info.  The pain has subsided considerably although not completely gone.  An xray and tests had been done on that particular tooth in past but nothing could be found.  This tooth has been a mystery as has two other teeth that I ended up getting root canaled on.  A dull ache, no sensitivity.  I'll wait another week and if it hasn't settled down I will look at having it extracted too.
your pain, in addition to the forum's response, may also be from the dentist pushing and hence traumatizing this tooth in order to pry and elevate the other one out...... if this is the case, it should improve-- but i would ask your dentist.