Dental Health Expert Forum
ear pressure tooth and sinus pain. Inner Infection? Wisdom teeth? Both...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

ear pressure tooth and sinus pain. Inner Infection? Wisdom teeth? Both?

Two weeks ago I felt a releltless pressure on my left ear for almost a week. Then I had severe pain on the two broken teeth I have on my left side but no ear pressure. Then the tooth pain eased  completely but now the ear pressure is back. This is sometimes precedeed by neck/throat pain.

Is this teeth problems or ear, eye nose and throat problem?

I have an appointment with a dental surgeon on tues but I don't even know if I that's the right kind of doctor. I made the appointment last week when I was experiencing severe tooth pain.

Now the tooth pain is gone but I feel this swelling in my left inner ear.

What should I do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Why don't you see a general dentist to find out if the teeth can be saved before you go to a surgeon and whether the ear ache is related to the broken down teeth.
despite the fact that you have no insurance, you should still see a good general dentist first for a complete set of films and an exam. Included in the fee is an explanation of what's going on in your mouth, and if you see an oral surgeon for extractions, he or she will need to see films anyway, and the general dentist can give you copies. in fact you may want to ask for duplicate films (double films) from the getgo, for which there should not be an extra chage. You may have other teeth that need attention that you are not awae of. at the very least, you'll know what's going on and what will needed in the future. films and an exam should be around $100, depending on where you live. decayed, infected teeth can indeed cause the problems you describe.
To follow up, this has now turned out rather badly.

I went and had the two teeth pulled (the pain had since subsided for about 3 or 4 days at this point). But I still had signifigant pressure on the left side of my inner ear. Following surgery the pressure subsided after about 24 hours with Ice on that side of my face. Then little more than 24 hours after that the pressure began again only this time in the RIGHT ear. Now I have varying degrees of pressure or an imbalance of air and fluid between my eutachian tubes/throat/sinus.

I cannot get the pressure/fluid balance right no matte what. If my ears pop (finally) then I get pressure in my throat. And I can feel  the fluid from my nose/throat circulating from one to the other, but never ever correcting. In effect I feel like I am constantly at 30,000 feet without ever getting relief.

Now it seems like I wasted my time having my teeth removed which at that point were not causing any pain.

Now I have to go to another doctor (well an E.N.T. P.A., who knows if that will even help but the doctor was booked until Sept) and now that I'm $400.00 in the hole and I have to spend my electric bill money on this next appt and there's no way of knowing if I will even get any relief.

Im also having a similar episode. I have a wisdom tooth coming in on the left side of my mouth on my lower jaw. When I eat if anything is chewed on the gum that the tooth is coming in on shortly after Im done eating my whole left side of my jaw starts to give off this pulsating feeling My ear feels like I have a minor ear infection and throbing pain goes from random spots on my head from the front forehead to the back down to the middle of my adams apple all on the left side systoms last depending on how long I chew food on the left side of my mouth over the incoming wisdom tooth. it been going on for the past week and a half
A related discussion, ears was started.
A related discussion, infection in sides of throat & head was started.
A related discussion, Ear ache was started.