Dental Health Expert Forum
molar extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

molar extraction
gml
I had a molar extracted over 2 weeks ago, stitches were placed. The stitches dissolved on day 5. I have a large hole where molar was and the side of my gum is open. Minimal healing has occurred. Using Chlorhexidine on Q tips directly to area. Area is painful to touch in some areas. Is this normal? How long does it take for soft tissue to fill in? When should I get concerned? What can be done if healing does not occur?
It doesn't sound like a dry socket because you would have much more discomfort. The socket will fill in and keep it as clean as possible and have your dentist look at it every so often.It is not unusual for the socket to be sore in certain areas.
it can take a while. it would be a good idead to see the dentist who did the extraction (or an indepepndant oral surgeon) and have the extraction site evaluated.
rmz
I had my r/upper wisdom tooth removed on 2/16. It was not impacted or below the gums. I to have a hole in the back, half of it is healed the other half is still "open" and red, somewhat sensitive. I keep rinsing it with warm water and salt. I had stiches, but cut them out myself, they were not dissolvable, but they irratated  the area so bad and I could not afford to go back to the dentist (i know...thats bad)! However, I think it's healing, just slowly. Good Luck