Dental Health Expert Forum
painful hard bump on gum

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

painful hard bump on gum
I have porcelain crowns on all of my top teeth & have had trouble with my upper right canine tooth since they were first put on approx. 3 yrs ago.  It has loosened & needed to be glued many times.  There's a deep pocket between that tooth & the next one toward the back & I've had a hard, very painful bump above these teeth on the gum for almost 8 months.  The canine tooth is very sensitive to any pressure also.  My dentist cut open the gum & scraped it a few months ago & it was ok for a while but now it's worse than ever. She has taken x-rays & they show nothing. When I press on the bump it will bleed sometimes but never any pus.  Any ideas on what I should do?  I'm thinking I should see an oral surgeon?
I think you need to see a periodontist first.If there is a pocket then there should be something visible on the x-ray.
the bump may be bone and nothing to worry about
Please let me know if you find anything out at ***@****, Funny thing is I had the same work and the bump is in the same spot you described. I dont think its a bone, Mine is tender and sore but yet soft. Almost feels like the size of a marble stuck in there. I had my work done about 7 years ago and this just came about last week.
A related discussion, bump on top gum was started.
A related discussion, painful lump on gum was started.