Dental Health Expert Forum
sensitive molars 4 weeks after wisdom teeth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I am 35, and had all four wisdom teeth taken out 4 weeks ago.  The bottom two were impacted and apparently pretty difficult to get out.  I don't necessarily have any pain anymore, but my molars and my gums on the bottom, on both sides are very sensitive beginning about a week ago.  It is very sensitive to eating and touching, but it doesn't really hurt.  I do think there was some nerve damage, because my chin is still pretty numb.  Is this sensitivity normal?  Should I go back to see the oral surgeon? Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think the sensitivity will last for awhile. More than likely the tissue on the back surface of the second molars shrinks and there is root surface exposure which can be very sensitive.The numbness can also last for some time but in all likelyhood the feeling will return.
i dont think you have injury to the nerve as the injury is most commonly to the lingual nerve which supplies the anterior part of the  tongue and floor of the mouth  and  u r complaining of numbness related to ur chin , the nerve supplying the cheek is far away the wisdom tooth area to be injured in the operaton
check ur oral surgeon to reassure you
in addition to the above.... the molars in front of the wisdom teeht are used as "fulcrums" by the surgeon in remvinf wisdom teeth, they are pushed on in order to elevates the wisdom teeth out of their sockets....this is very traumatic and can take a while to heal.