Dental Health Expert Forum
spot on tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

spot on tongue

I have been stressing for two days over this little spot on my tongue which I bit about 4 years ago.  I have been terrified to go the dentist, but I do have an appointment tomorrow.  This spot has not changed or grown.  It just seems like it gets irritated when I'm stressed.  It's on the left side of my tongue, it's not on the side, it's on the top.  I can see my teeth marks.  This spot is perfectly round.  I remember cutting away that skin numerous times before.  I'm wondering if this is how it healed.  I'm terrifed it's cancer.  I can't stop obsessing that this is what it is.  The rest of my tongue is fine except for this spot.  I also have a problem with cheek biting and I have lines on both cheeks that meet exactly where my teeth come together.  I'm terrified this is cancer too.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!!
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The area where you are biting is more than likely not cancerous. You do not get cancer from biting your cheek. I can not diagnosis the spot on your tongue but I think you should consult an oral surgeon.
does not sound anyhting all like cancer. sounds like an irritation fibroma--- look it up on the internet and stop worrying. cancer lesions in the mouth tends to be faster growing (weeks or months) and are not predisposed to developing where there was trauma from things like cheek biting. go to the dentist and let him or her look at it.
Thanks for your reply.  I have been symptom searching for 2 days on this.  It has been in the same spot and been the same size for 4 years.  I feel really stupid!  My anxiety gets the best of me.  I think it's bad because I have my appointment tomorrow.
don't feel stupid. just stop worrying and go enjoy your day. i can say alot of philisophical things here but I'll only say one--- here it is, ready........."stop worrying and go enjoy your day".. you are not researching anything relevant most likely because you have no diagnosis. in all likelihood ( i want to say "definitely" but I can't since I have not seen you) you have wasted healthy hours, days, months, maybe even years "worrying"---- over what????  c'mon now. got kids?? go give em a hug and watch a funny movie with them.... i'm gonna go watch "spaceballs" with mine. besides, even if you have terminal cancer and are going to be dead in 6 months, you've still wasted ALOT of time. It is what it is, and that's all. maybe you need some therapy???
A related discussion, Fibroma on my Tongue was started.