Depression Community
Can anxiety and depression cause memory problems?!

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety and I've also had some depression especially after my Dad died and I was wondering if this could interfere with cognitive function?  I am starting to forget things more easily and I have trouble concentrating and multitasking, which I never had trouble with before.  I'm really freaking out thinking I have some kind of neuro disease like MS.
Yes, I believe it can effect your memory. I know it does mine sometimes when I'm really anxious. I just can not remember things or concentrate. Are you in counseling or taking any meds for the depression and anxiety?
I have a great deal of difficulty with memory and focus, as well as general cognition, both from depression and ADD. I take Lexapro and find it works for me after trying many other meds. Depression can cause a general brain fog that is frustrating to deal with. Many OTCs are great. I take the oils: E, Omega, CoQ10 and liquid Vit D now because my Rx ran out.

Check out this link:

http://www.medhelp.org/mental-health/slideshows/Warning-Signs-of-Depression/262

Hope for health and happiness...
I have major depression and have really bad memory problems like watching a movie last week and forgetting that I watched it and what it was all about. Forgetting what I have told people and looking like a fool and like a liar because I have no recollection of ever saying those things they said I had said
I asked my psychiatrist and he said it is a result of severe depression and nothing else.  My memory is starting to get better as my depression gets better. I used to love to read and could memorize all the important telephone numbers since childhood that is slowly coming back to me.
I am sorry for the passing of your father and once the depression lessens over time and there is no time schedule because everyone grieves at their own pace, you will start to return to normal memory wise, multitasking, etc. Give it time and grieve like you need to and when your depression lessens things like your memory will get better.  I promise you.
Good luck,
Angela
I was severely depressed once for 2 years and journaled frequently about what was going on in my life. I recently re-read it and remembered very little about the events. Yes, depression can cause cognitive/memory problems.
Jesus what have i done
7 hrs ago by dragrat
Moejordan commented on HIV Risk In Perspecti...
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time