Depression Community
Taking Celexa and Smoking Marijuana

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Taking Celexa and Smoking Marijuana

Ok - so I know my bf smokes MJ because he can relax and also play his guitar creatively, or more creatively...but he is also on antidepressants (Celexa/citalopram). I've never tried any drug ever and I rarely drink. I've always had a closed mind in regards to the MJ and he says "don't knock it til you try it" which I don't intend on doing, "a lot of the songs that you LOVE were created by people who were smoking MJ." and that I need to have an open mind about it.

He and I live 5hrs apart and that is part of the reason why he says he needs the celexa, me not being there and of course - money, not having enough, living paycheck to paycheck.

I don't want him to use MJ his whole life. Do people grow out of it? I know he used to drink a lot and get drunk and now a 6pack lasts him forever. I don't want us to be married and have kids and for him to be smoking when we have children who need to be cared for. I do try to have an open mind about it all. I know he could be doing SO many worse things. I know he loves playing the guitar and wants to pursue that as much as he can and I love hearing him play. I just personally do not understand the need to relax in that way or to escape reality for a while.

I'm looking for opinions on the combo of antidepressants and MJ, and whether people grow out of smoking MJ, and general opinions I suppose of MJ. I'm worried he's gonna do this the rest of his life and is it something I can learn to deal with or is it going to tear us apart? I don't think it's worth breaking up over, though. HELP!!! :D Oh, and please don't be mean or rude to me for feeling the way I feel because I'm not dissing anyone for using it or anything like that...I'm letting u know my opinions and fears and am asking for others opinions about MJ not about me. Thanks :)

worriedgf
Dear worried,
I am a former musician and  marijuana user. I've also taken antidepressants most of my life. By virtue of my own experience and reading I have formed some opinions.

I believe a doctor would advise against combining antidepressants and marijuana. There is some evidence that marijuana may increase the incidence of depression or make it worse. It's pretty certain that anti-depressants are not purposely tested in people who are active marijuana smokers.

From my own observations, non-scientific in any way, most people eventually grow out of smoking marijuana as they acquire the responsibilities of adulthood - traditional careers and /or day jobs, mortgages, community ties, etc.  However, in my opinion the time at which one *must* give it up is at the moment one begins planning to have children, since there is medical evidence that marijuana smoking damages sperm, which might affect the health of a baby. Certainly, an adult impaired by marijuana should never be responsible for taking care of children, and being found guilty of such an act would be justification for intercession by state child protective services.

I would suggest you have a serious face-to-face conversation with your boyfriend to find out his true feelings on the subject.

Best of luck to you
Bob gives some very good advice but I just  have to comment on the statement"He and I live 5hrs apart and that is part of the reason why he says he needs the celexa, me not being there and of course - money, not having enough, living paycheck to paycheck".
I feel that he making excuses to try and turn  things around  on you and as for not enough money... tell him STOP buying the weed!!!
Dont settle for less than the best for yourself and  this MJ use obviously bothers you.
so even if you contiue to accept it sooner or late it will become a REALLY big iissue between  the two of you. Nip it in the bud if this relationship is one that you want to pursue.
I would jsut like to add that this is from personal experience.My first marriage and my son in law.
My soninlaw in particular is 30 years old ,no job spends my daughters hard earned moneyon weed and they have 4 children.And when she confronts him with this he blames it on her or anyone else. He doesnt take the responsibility for his action and my ussually ends up enabling him.
I would really hate to see you or anyone go through this painful expereince
you are in my prayers.
Love Venora
I'm 38 now and I used to toke a lot when I was in my late teens and early 20's.

I grew out of it at around 23 years of age.
As I got older, pot began to make me feel paranoid and was increasing my level of anxiety.

Not to mention that 95% of all employers now perform pre-employment drug screening.
Not only that, but even if he did get a job that doesn't screen, then if he was ever in a work related (even minor) accident then they will always perform a post accident drug screen immidiatly after the accident. In which case he would fail and be terminated for sure.

Trust me on that, I have friends that smoke weed and many of them have had their employment terminated as a result of smoking weed.

Not a risk I am willing to take with my job. I worked way too hard to get a middle class income to just throw it away.

If I were an independently wealthy guy, then I might still toke once in a while.
Unfortunatly I need to work to live and provide for my wife and child. That pretty much makes pot a no no for me.

Dalubaba commented on photo
14 mins ago
CRSeaside commented on photo
21 mins ago
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status