Bumps on/under lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bumps on/under lips

I have had a few small bumps for a long time now on my lips, that are whitish like very tiny pimples, that you could really only see if you stretched the skin.  About 5 days ago, I noticed a quite few more start coming in but they're under the skin and lip -skin colored, and appear to be a little more raised up than before but still under the skin.  They are hard to notice unless you're really looking for them in the mirror.  Immediately I feared the worst - like herpes.  I made an appointment for the next day to see my primary physician.  She looked at them and said they are nothing to worry about, most likely just a case of vitamin deficiency and to start taking a daily vitamin like centrum.  I did that for about 3 days or so, hoping they would go away, even got some Abreva to see if that would help just in case.  So after 3 days of that, I decided to go to the Urgent Care, just to get a second opinion.  The doctor there said she has been a doctor for 30 years, and that they resembled nothing like herpes, warts, etc.  She said they have no indication of being of infectious or malignant process.  She thinks im just being neurotic because they're so hard to see anyway.  She said there is no reason to be worried about anything and to sleep easy knowing its nothing at all.  She said to make an appointment with a dermatologist if it would make me feel better - which I'm going to do just in case.

Keep in mind that they don't appear to be getting any worse or better, they do not hurt at all, are difficult to see unless you're looking at them, and cant really feel them at all unless you start licking your lips to intentionally feel them.

Could these be fordyce or glands in my lips that are producing too much oil?  Is there anything to worry about?
The symptoms are suggestive of Fordyce spots and are not suggestive of cold sores or herpes. Fordyce spots are small yellowish-white granules on the inner surface and border of the lips. In cold sores, pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Dermatologist said it just appears to be a small case of cheilitis.  Gave me some corticosteroidal cream to apply, and after 1 day (2 applications), it appears to be getting better.  Lets hope this does the trick!

They definately weren't cold sores because there was no itching/tingling at all, and there was no eruption.