"Golfer's Vasculitis" is more than just annoying
I'd like to know anyone who's had this hideous and annoying condition anywhere on their bodies other than ankles and lower legs - have you had it start on your ankles and then over the years progress to other parts of your body? Any remedy to reduce redness besides not exercising or walking outside?

I moved from the dry climate of the Southwest and Southern Cal to hot and humid New England four years ago - nevr, ever had this until the first summer I arrived and then BAM! A weird, nasty rash that scares even me - I'm extremely active (walk every where and run 6+ daily) so suffice it to say being covered with this is not good for the image!

Seriously though I'd like to know if there's a way to treat and how to keep it from spreading.
I got GV a few months after I developed a minor case of lymphedema in my left leg.  I only get it on my left leg after too much activity.  I take Horse Chestnut Seed Extract twice a day and I'm able to handle a lot more activity without the rash appearing.  Now when I get a GV rash it's only a faint pink in a few spots and it goes away overnight.  No tingling, no pain unlike what's associated with a severe breakout.  I highly recommend Horse Chestnut Seed Extract.  I've tried a lot of other inflammatory herbal supplements but Horse Chestnut Seed works consistently well.
I've been walking in the UK, perhaps excessively, and have developed this again even though the temps have been under 70F.  It seems worse on one leg, and I wonder if it occurs more frequently after an initial outbreak.  I wish I could do something more to prevent it.  Ideas other than not walking so much?
I am a 50-year-old female with an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren's Syndrome.  I have had vasculitis on my (mostly lower, sometimes upper) legs for 30 years.  It started gradually, but when I was about 30 years old with two young boys, I couldn't make it through a single day without an outbreak.  I was put on Prednisone and that helped tremendously, but I didn't want to stay on it forever.  Instead, just by chance, I found that wearing compression stocking knee highs (20-30mm) works great.  I wear them every day, all day until I go to bed, and I rarely have an outbreak.  It has really been life changing for me.  By the way, I am not and never have been overweight.
I think some of the people writing in this forum have an allergy to the sun, which looks like sunburn but doesn't hurt (I have that too), whereas vasculitis causes some pain or tenderness.  I hope I can help some of you.  It's wonderful to have a solution that doesn't involve drugs.
SO CONFUSING! first got this rash in Long Beach California after walking in sandals on cement in summer temps.
I thought it had to be from either sun or sunscreen because it started directly above my ankle sock line. I was 48 years old (female), healthy weight, very thin calves, overall good health, not at all prone to any kind of rashes...EVER!

it progressed from non-raised little specs that were bright red at first, then turned brownish....(almost like little blood drops)....to a raised and itchy burn-looking rash....dropping down to the area around my side ankle bones all the way up to right below my knee caps....mostly on the front of my shins.  I have tried every lotion, ointment, advil, ace-bandages, oatmeal baths, etc.  it seemed to be gone over the winter.  

the first time I wore shorts last month I was sitting under an umbrella and the sun hit a certain spot on each shin....and that night I had a red burn-looking rash in only those exact spots.  so it seems like, no matter what caused the rash initially last year, the sun triggers a new rash.  I have been wearing sunscreen on my legs since then and the rash has been contained to those 2 areas....but they won't go away.  some days they barely show.  other days they look horrible.
I have same problem and I find that wearing flip flops works for me even in warm weather.  I find that any constriction of blood flow from the feet cause a rash even  in warm weather.  I walked around in 100 degree weather in flip flops and no rash !!!  Just give it a try.  For me keeping any kind of constriction off my feet works.  Good luck !!!
I'm so glad I found this community!  I am a 54 year old golfer in Georgia of English/Scottish descent and I have suffered from this horrible condition for the past 3 years. The weird thing is that I play golf all over the place with women of all ages and I seem to be the only one with this condition! My first episode looked like someone had spray painted the inside of both my ankles with bright red dots. As the years progress, each outbreak gets bigger & bigger, migrating upwards, and always worse on the left leg. I am on a daily diuretic for blood pressure control, I am trying to break an addiction to Diet Coke, and I am trying to make myself drink water (uphill battle that I'm losing!). After reading all the comments, I plan to buy Zyflamend, take Vitamin C, drink sports drinks throughout my round, and after I play golf, I will elevate my legs and apply ice.
I will report back after I've spent some time on this new regimen. Thanks to all for your helpful comments, I'm so glad that I'm not alone!
Hi Jamie!

You might also try spritzing ice cold water on your legs every so often. This used to help when I was in the Arizona heat. Now that I'm in Georgia, I have not encountered the condition in years, but I haven't tried playing golf either!

However, I wonder whether the *DIURETIC* is the key. I used to be on a medication with that effect, but I switched off of it. I thought that moving to a cooler climate was the reason why I never get this condition anymore. I wonder if it is the lack of the diuretic???

Good luck!
Hi all.

I am a 61 yo female, from Israel but have been living in California for the past 30 years, therefore the climate I am in is very pleasant, not hot.

My symptoms are different than the rest of you: I don't have any red rash, but I feel  pins and needles all over my body, sometimes more in the face than elsewhere.

I started keeping a journal of what I eat and what meds and vitamins I take.

The common denominator is that I get these feelings after I walk and sweat profusely.

Two days ago I stopped taking my medications and vitamins, thinking maybe those have something to do with it. But the symptoms continue to appear, specially in the early evenings......after taking the dogs for a walk.

So again, I think that it has something to do with the "thermoregulation" of my body.

I will try to drink water more frequently and not eat salty stuff.

I was wondering if anyone here has similar symptom (feeling only the pins and needles without the rash).

It seems most of you never have any residual pigmentation.

I play alot of golf and I get this around my ankles and on my shins.
But i never get the angry red rash, I just get red/purple/brown spots and patches. These fade during winter but never goes away completely.

At first I just thought that my tan never went away.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else get this residual pigmentation
Hi peca11,

I thought I replied to this, but it seems to have disappeared into the either.

I do have some discolored areas on my lower legs, but if I look really closely, what I see are very small surface blood vessels.   They lighten during the winter, but never completely go away,  These areas are also the first ones to get red when GV sets in.  

I can also say that this condition is getting worse as I age.   I can't help but wonder if the repeated and near constant inflammation during the summer has actual damaged the blood vessels making them even more visible.  
Thanks for answering.
I can't really see tiny blood vessels in my discolored areas.
They look more consistent with red blood cells leaking into the skin. Brownred spots.
I have found that keeping pressure off the feet and letting blood flow freely works for me.  I wear flip flops as much as possible and I do not get a rash when I do.  Sandals that have any kind of restriction on the blood flow in the feet will still cause a rash.  The flips flops may work for you so please try it.
Thank goodness I found this site.  I have had the non-itchy, red broken capillaries problem for about 5 years on the inside of my calves and the occasions when it has developed are unbelievably similar to so many of your stories.  I am English, fair skinned, very slightly overweight, 59 years old, have a minor auto-immune condition and have had the problem on a Baltic cruise (unseasonably hot and humid), walking in Sri Lanka, Costa Rica, Thailand, Spain and Morocco and last weekend, a very long 'shop til you drop' day in a nearby city to where I live where it was very hot and thundery.

I have shown photos of the rash to my doctor, nurses at my surgery and even pharmacists telling them that I have never considered my rash to be an allergy but they have always drawn a blank, mainly because the rash it not itchy.  I have always known that long periods of walking have always been a contributing factor as I never get it in my normal life.  I have a fairly sedentary job and rarely do exercise and so I knew the appearance of the rash on my walking holidays in hot climates must be THE issue.  Now I know that the more recent shopping trip in England ( the first time I got it at home) was probably due to the length of time I was walking and the heat and more particularly the humidity which I had not linked before.  I also got very thirsty shopping and, although I bought water, for some reason I didn' t drink much of it.  

Therefore I will definitely try to drink more water whilst walking in heat and humidity in the future and hopefully reduce the likelihood of it developing at all.  I will reduce my salt levels too if the drinking-more-water solution (ha) doesn't work.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions -they have helped me a lot

Hi, I'm new, but my vasculitis is not.  Certainly heat, humiditiy and physical activity make it much, much worse, but I do have some small spots at any given time of the year.  ( I live in Michigan)

It seems like there are two camps, golfer's vasculitis who get it only above a sock line and those whose socks make it worse.  Having just returned from being outdoors at a drag race all weekend (80 degrees) and doing some walking, I had a bad breakout below the sock line.  I do get some above the sock line, but never have I had an instance where it totally stopped below the sock line like some others and pictures I have googled.   In fact, my one inch above the ankle bone socks make it worse and it is not so bad above the sock line.

I am interested in hearing from those whose socks make it worse.  For me, sandals do help in releasing the heat and it would seem that compression socks that are helpful to some would be counterproductive to those whose socks assist in holding the heat in.  Agree?

I also will try to limit the salt along with keeping hydrated.  I did use Claritin, but will add Ibuprofen at my next outdoor event here in July which actually happens to be a golf outing.  I will let you know how it goes.  I do have golf sandals, but typically have to switch to shoes at some point during the round.

Full disclosure, I have been to Cleveland Clinic (wonderful) and have had two biopsies confirming hypersensitivity or leucocytoclasitc vasculitis.  I have stomach issues and have been on stomach meds for years (Aciphex is wonderful), however the last biopsy concluded that the vasculitis origin was from the gastro tract.  I also was vitamin D deficient at my last general physical.

I am male age 50 and was first diagnosed with vasculitis 5 years ago.
I too have a rash in the heat on my ankles and lower legs.  I find that wearing flip flops when even warm weather my legs will not break out.  It takes the pressure off your feet so blood can flow freely.  Try it as it may work for you also !!  Good Luck...
    COcoNut Oil
Just today I was diagnosed with golfers vaculitis  I am 57 and an avid walker.
During my 30's I had 3 children, each time I was told to wear support stockings to avoid  varicose veins. Sometimes when I didn't wear stockings I would get odd leg rashes. I attributed the rashes to pregnancy.
Over the years , I volunteer at a festival standing for long hours in the heat and I would get the rashes. Now at 57, I have the summer off from school &  I would with my girlfriends and see the sights of N.YC. We ve been having a ball, but each week, I would develope a rash. A  internist gave me a prescription of predizone creme to put on the rash and it disappeared.
A vascular doctor was a little baffled saying it was a skin condition and sent me back to my dermatologist. The one thing that is consistent, is if I stand or walk for 4 to 6 hours in warm weather the rash appears. An allergist finally diagnosed it. I am having a sonogram done Wednesday just to make sure, there are no clots or other problems. I feel this is definitely a vascular problem. Even though they claim there is no cure and there is no problem having this, I find it hard to believe. I ve been dealing with this since my 30's
And when I wear light support panty hose, like sheer energy by Hanes when I know it s gonna be a long day on my feet( as I did when I was pregnant) the rashes do not appear.
I have developed vasculitus a few years ago. I woke up with it one day all over my feet and legs. It began to c limb up my body and a few spots on my face. I went to several doctors before a biopsy was done. They said it was chemically induced. Turns out a blood pressure medicine caused it. Stopped the meds and the spots went away. We have since found that I have an allergy to blood thinners, water pills and certain antibiotics. I haven't had a flare u p in awhile. Also I found out that alcohol and sugar alcohols in d diet food also brings them on. So my limit is 2 drinks on the weekend. But no known cure. Check the side effects of any meds you take.
Early this summer I decided to get in better shape and start walking the golf course. I'm 57 and walked 18 holes on a hot day. The result was that red rash on my lower legs that took three or four days to go away. I got it again the following week after walking the golf course, which sent me running to the internet and this site. With no real cure for it, I decided to experiment. My next time out I got rid of the high socks that went above my ankle. I replaced them with short socks that barely come up out of my golf shoes. I have since walked the course at least a dozen times in high heat without any outbreak of golfer's vasculitis.

Apparently the higher socks either hindered my circulation, increased the heat in my legs, or both. I don't expect this simple change to be a cure all, but it worked for me. Thought I would post it in the event it is helpful to anyone else… Perhaps I am just lucky, but give it a try.
update from ontheh2o - 9-1-14 - Went to another three day drag race.  Changed a few things this time.  No salty snacks, no socks, no shoes this time.  Added better hydration, claritin, ibuprofen, sandals and icing my ankles down immediately after walking for any duration.  Wow, did this improve things!  I made it through the whole weekend with just a few tolerable vasculitis spots on my feet, nothing on my ankles (where it gets painful) and just a few spots on my calves.
My first case of a rash around the sock line happened when I was around 52 years old.  It would come and go with most outbreaks in the warmer weather.  I initially would find some relief using sun screen lotions and wearing long pants.  I tried different types of socks and found no relief.  My Doctor had no effective treatment as well.  I had gone the last 3-4 years with no symptoms, but then it hit me while I was in Hawaii and 60 yrs. old.  Nothing I tried seemed to help.  After I returned home to Arizona I started searching the internet.  One comment said they tried an over the counter steroid cream and they had found some relief.  I tried Benadryl and it only gave me slight relief.  I decided to try and exercise my lower legs to increase circulation and I started to use an over the counter cortisone cream.  This has given me a dramatic improvement.  It worked for me, so I hope it works for you as I know how aggravating this condition can be for people.
I to suffer from golfer's vasculitis.  I am 58 and half Scottish/English.  I had my first outbreak on a Baltic Cruise about 10 years ago.  I took pictures in to my doctor after we returned home to Indiana.  He did not have a clue what it was.  Typically my outbreaks are after walking/standing for long periods and always in high heat/humidity (i.e cruises, vacations, amusement parks).  I have only had about 6-7 major outbreaks and the remaining outbreaks are minor and always between sock line and knees.  I am glad to found this forum.
Dear Austin7875978759

It has been 3 years and I would very much like to know if you are still taking the Zyflamend and whether the vasculitis returned at all despite taking the Zyflamend. I am also interested to know what dosage you take.

Mine started when I was around 48 years old and has gotten progressively worse in the last 11 years to the point that it is rare to not have a rash after golfing or hiking.

And for all of you hot climate people note this happens in cold weather too. The first time I noticed it was after snowshoeing an 11 km trail (7 miles?)  in deep snow. The temperature was around or below the freezing point for water (zero Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit). I was wearing heavy knee socks, vortex boots and gaiters to my knees so it is probable that my legs got too hot.

The next time it happened was while,golfing and I was golfing a lot so and only got it while golfing. So I thought, like some on this forum, that it was an allergic reaction to something they put on the grass.

The first time I left it but it did not go away and after a few days it started to itch and I had to apply Calamine lotion to get rid of it. Eventually I started applying Calamine lotion immediately after getting home. But it takes longer and longer to go away despite the calamine and often leaves dark stains that last for months or years.

I am an overweight white female with pale complexion and scots / Danish / german ancestry.

So glad to find this forum.  I've got my initial "cayenne pepper" rash at age 38 when I spent a day roaming Washington DC.  Back then it would take many miles before the rash occurred and it would disappear in a day or two once I got off my feet.  As I get older it takes fewer and fewer miles to instigate the rash and it takes longer to clear up.  My lower calfs are permanently discolored (but they are  muscular and shapely lol).  Maybe someday they'll be a laser treatment that'll remove the discoloration
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24196329

I'll look into the Zyflamend because bad breakouts get uncomfortable and hold me back. I don't play golf but I am something of a hiker.  Hiker's call it Hiker's rash.
I do not believe this is due to anything spread on the ground. I got it first time in Paris where I was walking solely on pavement. I got it on a grand tour of Italy. I got it on 2 tours of New Orleans. I got it on a tour in Key West. And I got it especially bad hiking at Yosemite.

I did NOT get it on our trip to Bar Harbor Maine, because the weather was cooler there.

I have an autoimmune disease known as limited systemic scleroderma. This condition is known to be able to obliterate the eccrine sweat glands, resulting in overheating with exercise.
My wife, Zenith, has endured so-called Golfers' Vasculitis for many years now. At first we assumed that the rash was caused by fertiliser on the golf course. Visits to numerous internet sites suggest that there is no permanent cure. Then we discovered the miracle properties of lowly domestic Bicarbonate of Soda! It is claimed that most of life's ailments stem from an imbalance of Acid and Alkaline levels in the body. Ordinary bicarb quickly restores any acid/alkaline imbalance by boosting the alkaline count. On a scale of 1-14, it seems the ideal count should be about 7,5. Anything below 7 indicates too much acidity. I started taking bicarb for the odd bout of indigestion ... with instant relief ... before I read about the general acid issue. Zenith started taking bicarb just one month ago (1/2 teaspoon in warm water twice per day) and was astonished to notice that the golfers' rash has all but disappeared! Her friend, Anne, has had a similar "cure" after only two weeks on bicarb. It is still early days and one hesitates to claim bicarbonate of soda as the miracle cure for this (and other?) rashes and ailments, but it would certainly seem to be heading in the right direction. From what I have read on the internet, bicarb is not harmful when used responsibly, so most sufferers of golfers' vasculitis should be quite safe to try it. By the way, we initially bought a pack of litmus strips from our pharmacy to test our acidity levels. Zenith's initial test indicated a very high level of acidity (red), while mine showed alkalinity (blue). I have never suffered from rash on the golf course or anywhere else. This suggests that there may well be a correlation between high acidic levels and golfers' vasculitis. If this is true, then a regular dose of bicarbonate of soda is precisely "what the Doctor ordered!" Good luck and greetings from South Africa.
I am 56 and got this rash for the first time last month after jumping on a mini trampoline for about 5 minutes. I am nearly always dehydrated. I sit a lot at my job and rarely exercise, so I suppose the sudden jumping was sort of a shock to my system. I am of Scottish descent and not overweight. My question is whether or not many of you suffer with leg cramps during the night. I'm wondering if this might be a related condition.
I am also thrilled to find this!! I first started getting this around 8 years ago. I thought it was related to an allergy since it seemed to occur when I was cutting grass. I usually wear shorts while mowing and live in New Orleans, which is extremely hot and humid. I switched to long pants and still got the "rash". Got a severe case after walking around Dollywood about 4 years ago. I was wearing no show socks or no socks for most of the occurrences. I've begun to get it even when the weather is cool. I just got it again Saturday after standing for a long period of time. Temperature was in the high 60's and I never got hot or sweaty. Perhaps it is related to heat at the onset but, once you get it, the temperature becomes less a factor? I'm glad to know it isn't dangerous. I've been nervous about it. Thanks for posting your stories, everyone.
I'm 33 and live in New England. I've experienced this rash twice in the last 6 months and both times I was walking around Disney World in Florida. I have walked around amusement parks in the heat at home and never encountered this. I too am of European decent (Swedish, French and German) and very fair skinned. I also am a life long allergy and asthma sufferer. I'm 5 feet, 115 pounds and have never had any circulation issues in the past. When I first encountered the rash I assumed it was a sun allergy (flip flops and shorts in Florida sun), but today was rainy in Orlanfo and low and behold the rash appeared again. The one I get isn't painful, but it is rather unsightly and covers the back of both of my calves. I'd love to find out what's causing it so I don't have to be embarrassed to show the backs of my legs.
I get this also.  I have found out that if I wear flip flops even in warm weather I do not break out.  I believe the cause is restricting the blood flow even in the warm weather. Even loose fitting socks can restrict blood flow.
This does not happen to me in the winter/cold weather.  Needless to say flip flops or looser fitting sandals work great for me so why not give it a try. Hope this works for you and lots of others that read this.  Good Luck to all....  
I have also suffered the same horribly ugly rash for probably 20 years. I don't get it too, too often but sometimes when I do, it can last for a very long time. I am responding to newcanuck as my rash does look exactly like the pics you posted.

Strangely enough, I am always on my feet for very long days (personal trainer). I am fit, exercise a lot, eat very well, and am naturally slender. It always seems to happen to me after long bouts of walking. I can work out hard on cardio equipment and really sweat and not ever get it - but then walk without exerting myself at all or sweating (even very cold weather) but for very long periods and I will get it. When it first started, it was always with warmer weather and at the time I also thought it had to do with sun exposure. Now I see that my legs can be completely covered and it still happens.

Just back from 8 hours of walking all over France. Was in warmer (sometimes hot) weather in southern France, walking many hours and had no problems. Then, once in Paris, still no problems until one day I knew I was overdoing it with not giving myself a break. I could feel my legs feeling very tired. When I got back to the apartment, my ankles were very swollen and backs of both calves were very red/purple/blotchy.

I was probably not drinking as much fluid as I would ordinarily. It was a cool day and I had long jeans on - but thinking that I had slept with (very loose) sock on the night before because I was cold. I probably started the next morning overheated from eventually sweating in bed. Then the combo of nonstop walking and less fluid. Who knows. Will look into Zyflamend and try cool compresses. Doctors have always tried treating it as skin condition with no results. My mother would also get this. Thanks to all!
jbtc
That is what my legs look like but mine are worst.  I find wearing flip flops or sandals that are not constricting the blood in any way helps.  My legs are fine as long as the blood flow is not restricted in any way.  I live in flip flops even in the slightest warm weather.  Wearing any kind of sock will restrict the flow of blood.  Just try it !!!!  They have cute flip flops out for men and women.  Hope this helps.
I have this also.  This is what I have found works for me.  Even on just the slightest warm days {60} I wear flip flops and my legs do not get the rash.  I believe it is caused from the constriction of blood flow-even the slightest pressure around the ankle such as socks. Even if I wear jeans and flip flops I do not get the rash.  Sandals are ok as long as they do not restrict blood flow.  Try it, it may work for you.
You get leg cramps from dehydration !!!!  Try dill pickle juice for leg cramps.  I have the RASH but I have found that in warm weather I wear flip flops to take the pressure off blood flow.  I believe the rash is caused from a restriction of blood flow so try the flip flops or sandals that do not fit tight.
Here is what I do for my rash.  I wear flip flops when it gets to be about 60. No more rash.  I believe the rash has something to do with the restriction of blood flow.  With flip flops or sandals that do not restrict  blood flow I have no problem with the rash even in 100 degree weather !!! Hope this helps some of you with this problem.
Went for a walk yesterday for 8 miles in quite high temperatures and when I got home I noticed I have a red rash above sock line and under the knee. Quite unslightly and seems to be very hot but after reading the comments realise it is quite common.
As you (all) may realize, I've been posting/looking on here fore a few years now. I have tried a whole variety of things with no success.
Considering medical remedies, websites, my skin doctor... nothing worked.
I spent 6 months recording everything I ate, to see if some food was causing it.. Nope.
But over the past year I have been able to figure out what I can do to stave off this "affliction".
This seems to work for me.... you may not achieve my results.
HYDRATION !!!!!!
Stay hydrated... even OVER-hydration... so you have to urinate more frequently... so what... if it can cause this condition to NOT occur.... great !!!!!!
Especially during warm/hot weather... I am on my feet for long periods of time... maybe 4-7 hours... walking, standing, etc. So I ensure I drink a liter of water every hour or 2. Bingo..... in my case... solved. I have not had an occurrence for 8-10 months now.

Am I ever glad I finally figured this out (for me).

Good Luck.
I have had this on and off for several years now, worst case was last year after a long weekend in New York. So bad I had to be taken off the plane in a wheelchair! Have been walking in UK this week and its flared up again, has never made any difference whether I've worn flip flops or boots. Didn't get it in Peru ten years ago in heat and very long walks so think it's getting worse with age. Aloe vera gel has soothed it tremendously.
Hey all.
Just found this site and thought I would chime in.
The residual pigmentation that people are referring to is called Hemosiderin Staining.  This is basically a situation that results from red blood cells that have leaked out of inflamed capillaries into the spaces between skin cells.  The red blood cells get reabsorbed by the body but the iron molecule inside the RBC is left behind.  When this happens enough, the iron causes an increased pigmentation look, sometimes fading to a light brown but it will never completely clear.
More later.
I have this condition for many years. No doctor has ever told me what it was. It only occurs when it is very hot and I'm walking for a while, especially golfing. I live in central Florida and the Summer heat is a real problem for me. I have found a solution to the rash problem. My wife suggested buying a pair of soccer socks and pull them to the top of the knee just like a soccer player. She thought the extra compression on my legs would possibly work. It did, it was amazing. I just got home from playing 18 holes in 90 degree heat for over 4 hours and NO RASH. I wore long pants instead of shorts so I wouldn't embarrass myself. I can't believe this was so simple. Hope this will work for you. Pass it on. Mark in Ocala, Fl
In late August/early September in 2014, I had the scary red rash thing happen on both legs on my calves. That was my first occurrence. The weather was warm and humid. Doctor didn't know what it was: tested for thyroid condition, which was negative.

This year, planning to go to the same events where it happened, I decided to try wearing compression socks. The first event has happened - the huge Farm Progress Show in Decatur, IL. The temperature was a real feel of 105 - brutally hot and muggy. Of course, walking and standing all day was the norm. THERE WAS NO REDNESS!

This weekend I'll be going to the Notre Dame Football game, walking and standing for hours. It is not to be as warm as last year, but the compression socks are being worn. Go Irish!

Statistics: 55 year old female; healthy weight; physically fit; MS

I hope this helps.
I have had this problem for about 3 years. I'm an active 64 year old female. It mainly occurs during the summer months. I've found it necessary to avoid leg shaving and last summer managed to avoid the rash altogether by applying a fine spray of witch hazel onto my calves several times a day. I just poured witch hazel into one of those 'holiday' spray bottles. Found it much more effective than dabbing with cotton wool. It's November now and though no rash appears, my shins always feel tender and raw to touch. Loose trousers are a must. No skinny jeans for me!! Legs get too hot on a night out and it all flares up again.
This is my solution. I make long, strenuous  walks in the Alps all year long (I am a man of 63).  Since 3 years when in summer it is really hot I get Golfer Vasculitis after long walks (8 hrs+). After 2-3 days it is gone again, it was not really painful but a little annoying. Since last summer I have solved it nearly completely by putting on my legs on the right spots before walking some quality  nourishing hand crème. It really does the trick with only one or two little spots left which disappear in half a day. And my activities are a little more than 18 holes…
Hi and GV for a number of years, but in Australia  where is hot for about 5 to 6 months of the year. Like all Aussies we wear short or dresses on the course.
it's is very off putting when people look at your legs after playing Sat & Sun.

OK let's cut to the chase does anybody know if the Zyflamend or the bicarb works? Is there anything else that works, at the end of the day us GV suffers want to know
Hi,  My name is Idy, I am 54 and I have had this rash condition since my early 30s...I thought I was doing something unusual, now I am happy to know I am not alone. I will try Zyflamend ASAP.  I will also try Aspercreme as a topical on the next occurance.  Thanks for all the info.  No one else cares or they have no idea what it is,  esp. Drs.
Mine seems to be getting worse.  I am 52 and mine started in my 30's too.  I seem to have uncontrolled shivering past two times.  I have to wear capris or oh my goodness.
What kind of hand creme do you use??  Thanks
Wondering if anyone else in my age range has had this happen and experienced such pain. I am 26 yrs old. It has now occurred 3 times going to Disneyland. I have health issues such as fibromyalgia. Does anyone know if this has a worse affect on people who suffer with chronic pain/inflammation? My legs and feet are so sore. The rash is hot and throbbing. Any info would be great, thanks.
I'm always the cold one also.  I started  getting this approximately 6 or 7 years ago after walking or standing for long periods in hot weather but for the past two years even get it when horseback riding.  It seems to get worse each year.  I am now getting areas above the knee on the front and back of my thighs.  It is very hot and becoming more painful.  The bout I had yesterday was from just riding my horse for 2-1/2 hours.  I still even have a prickly pain when walking today and it is still hot.  I had it from riding four days previously also and am wondering if it is worse because the other bout had not completely cleared up yet.  Very frustrating.  Anyone else out there who gets this from riding also?  I'm going to break down and go see a rheumatologist.  
I first developed this 'rash' on holiday in Florida in 1989 and seem to get it now every time I fly anywhere at all or spend a day out walking for long periods after traveling any way.  It seems to be triggered by walking a lot on ankles that have been swollen from traveling especially flying.  My doctors were mystified and I was sent to a hospital to see a consultant who couldn't offer much help but to tell me it wasn't harmful as when pressed on the colour left the area and you could see the finger prints for a short time.  Subsequently one time it was very bad and a doctor thought it was cellulitis and I was given antibiotics but on research cellulitis doesn't fade when pressed.  I have had the rash in the USA, Dubai, Spain, Italy and France.  I tested out a theory two years ago traveling to Spain and again about a month ago traveling to Italy that I had  and it does seem to work if a little uncomfortable for the first day of the trip.  I wear compression socks from the minute I leave home and leave them on for the journey and then until the  next morning.  Any swelling of the ankles has then subsided which I think is the main cause of this. I do bathe my lower legs in water as cold as I can stand every evening too whilst away.  On both these trips although I sometimes felt the rash was coming on it never actually did - so after 27 years I think I maybe have the answer!!  
A rash on legs from ankle up mostly on back of legs looks like broken blood vessel. Walk a lot in Europe very hot