Dermatology Expert Forum
How safe are cortisone shots?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

How safe are cortisone shots?
I went to see a dermatologist over 4 months ago due to an excessive breakout.  He gave me cortisone shots in 3 places (face and jawline).  Now I have 3 clear and present scars on my face in the exact same places the shots were given.  (These scars are like divits, the size of an eraser head.)  Considering the fact that I did not have a single acne, or other, scar on me previous to my visit, I am extremely upset.  Should I have been warned about the consequences of a cortisone shot, or is this just some freak accident?
Kim:

Most dermatologist sometimes use cortisone shots to bring about rapid reduction of large or painful acne cysts.  Typically, the cortiosne is diluted to a quarter strength or less to limit the chance of indentation.  In my experience, such indentation (called atrophy) occurs rarely, even after dilution.  This is temporary, you will be happy to know, though it may take several months for the skin to fill in.

If I were you, I would ask the dermatologist about your concern.  Determine whether he diluted the cortisone; if he did, then you would best avoid such injections in the future, even diluted.  This is easy enough to do, since acne treatment can be quite successful without injections.

In the end, you will be fine.

Good luck.

Dr. R
Is it possible for malignant melenoma on top of the knee that I had 9 years ago to mestestisize to the breast? thank you
Not impossible, but not likely.  Do yourself a favor and get this checked out right away.

Dr. R
A related discussion, acne was started.
A related discussion, Re: How safe are cortisone shots? was started.