Dermatology Expert Forum
If not scabies, what?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

If not scabies, what?

Dear Doctor,
I wrote to you before about scabies that would not go away and I am writing again because I can't seem to get better.  I have attempted to see another dermatologist but there is a long wait.
My question is: if not scabies,what?  
My husband, 19 year old son and I are all suffering with this. None of us have ever had any skin problems before.  I have red raised pea sized bumbs that are extremely itchy all in my crotch area.  At first the area is flat and very itchy, then the bumps appear.  My husband had them all over but mostly on his bottom, my son mostly his bottom too.  My husband also has eczema on his calves. These bumps take for ever to go away and leave a mark or scar that I am not sure ever will go away.  My husband started with this in July, my son and I in September.  We have tried all kinds of ointments, prescription and over the counter but only get temporary relief.  The Elimite seemed to be the answer but I can't stop breaking out.  Sometimes it itches so bad I literally dance!  Please help.

Mary
Mary:

While I sympathize with your plight, I don't really know what to say.  Scabies doesn't come and go, get a little better after Elimite and then come back.  But I don't know of any other contagious condition which can affect several family members at one time, unless the sight of other people scratching and talking about the possibility of bugs makes everyone else itchy.  The lumps and other lesions you describe may be nothing more than the skin you've scratched.

The best and only advice I can give you is to see a dermatologist as soon as you can, and meantime apply a topical anesthetic like sarna lotion (OTC) and take an oral antihistamine like Benadryl to tide you over.

Please let me know how you do.  

Good luck.

Dr. R
Dear Doc. I've had a red itchy rash on my face for the past few days. I've applied a cordezone cream on it but, it seems to make it itch even more.
Is there any thing else I can use? Please Help!!!!!
funny, i seem to be suffering from the same illness. i have this horrible feeling that it is bugs. in fact, i am sure of it. the only thing is that whayever i seem to do doesnt work either. it is extremely embarrassing and upsetting. my general health had been greatly effected by this "infection"?! unfortunately i cannot afford to see a dermatol;ogist so i am trying to cure myself by bathing in clorox and salt. it seems to work for a bit. i know it cannot be the healtiest thing to do but i dont know what else i can do. i have lost so much weight, rapidly, i have become depressed, weak, and utterly miserable due to this condition. if anyone knows how to help i would really appreciate the advise. thanks   -tiffany
I have had a rash on my trunk for the past 2 1/2 weeks.  It started as a rash just below my bra and has moved up over my breasts and into my armpits and also moved down just to my pubic line.  It is very itchy.  It started as red blotchi dots and all the dots seem to connect eventually.  

I was on Wellbutrin from Dec 26 until Jan 13th when my DR finally told me to stop taking it.  He doesn't think it is the Wellbutrin but had me stop just in case.  I do have an appointment with a dermatologist on Monday but thought I could get some kind of an idea of what it could be.  

No one else in my family has it and I have not changed detergents, soaps, etc.  

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Barb
A related discussion, rash-like,puffy skin,spreads was started.
A related discussion, scabies? was started.