Itchy, raised, red rash in under arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy, raised, red rash in under arms

I need help!
I've had an irritated red rash under my arms for the past two weeks and I can't get rid of it. I haven't changed soap, lotions or deodorant. I've tried anti-fungal cream but that has made it WORSE. Now the rash has spread to completely cover my underarms and is now spreading down the sides of my abdomen. The rash is now hot and raised.

I've been taking a shower at night and in the morning to keep the area clean and clear of sweat.

I need relief fast! What can I do?
It sounds like shingles. You should go to the doctor ASAP!
I'm not so sure it is shingles because my rash aren't raised bumps individual bumps like blisters. The whole infected area is a mound of raised bumps, if that makes sense. I've looked at a couple of picture on the net and it doesn't look like shingles.

I've been trying to get into my doc but he can't see me until Monday and I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've contacted a dermatologist, but they aren't open today, hopefully they will fit me in tomorrow.

If it gets much worse I think I'll be heading to urgent care. I have never had a rash this bad. The pain is so intense. I've had poison oak many times and this is probably more itchy with a constant burn.

Still looking for relief!

Without examination,I cannot confirm a diagnosis but it could be contact dermatitis(allergic or irritant),hives,erythasma or psoriasis in worst scenario.

Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around often in a matter of hours.

Take some antihistamines like benadryl or claritin which may be sometimes be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks).Non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine(zyrtec) or Loratadine(Claritin) may be needed to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine or Hydroxyzine are used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.Application of calamine lotion and mild steroid cream will also help in soothing the skin.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine.

If the symptoms persist then pls consult a dermatologist and discuss the above stated possibilities with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you for your response. I was a little apprehensive to try any creams with steroids in them only because it might make it worse. I will try some Calamine lotion tonight and take some Claritin, as I have both of these on hand.

I have Crohn’s Disease so some of the oral medications I have to be careful to not cause a flair up.

I've contacted a dermatologist and begged to be seen today (Friday) but I can't get in until Monday, which is when I'll be seeing my regular Dr. anyway. With the Holiday's fast approaching it will be harder and harder to find a Dr. INTOWN or AVAILABLE.

Thanks again for your response. I'm trying to post pictures, but I'm not sure if I can do that after the post has already been started. Can I?