Dermatology Expert Forum
Pigmentation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pigmentation

I am a Asian womeen age 48 my complexion is so poor and I have pigmentation all over my face except my forhead, I have to put thick powder on before I go out I tried peeling, and many other different method but nothing seem to really help. I do not know if I am using the wrong cpsmectic products, or its my body system thats causing it I see my younger sister she does not have this problem she is a smoker too ? is there anyways I can be help ? its really bothering me everytime I look into the mirror and its even worst if I look at myself under the sun, I do not have sun damadge.
Jane:

Pigmentaion is a bothersome problem in people of all skin types.  There are many things you can do for it.  To start with, you can buy in the pharmacy with no prescription creams containing 2% hydroquinone.  Applying that once every morning, and using a moisturizer or makeup with SPF 15 or more is likely to help a lot.  If after 2 months you still don't like the way you look, ask a dermatologist to help.  between prescription-strength skin lighteners and light chemical peels, you don't have to suffer withpigmentation you don't want.

Good luck.

Dr. R

My problem is that certain areas of my skin is darker than the rest.  The skin on on eyelid, around my mouth and my eyes. Is there any product that can help me.
My skin around my mouth and eyes are darker compared to the rest of my face.  Is there a cure for this problem?
Gia:

Please look at the advice I gave Jane.  It may help you.

Dr. R
Shakila:

Dr. R
my teenage son has had a skin rash since summer that has not gone away. he presents with tan skin but small dime size or smaller white marks on his neck and shoulders only. it appears as if he was on the beach and sand prevented certain areas from tanning on him. there is no itching or peeling/ scaliness involved. it is difiguring to him and our family doctor has not  given any indication on what this could be or how we can treat it. i have another teenager that appears to have the same thing but to a lesser degree on his arms. any comments or ideas would be appreciated.
It's a fungus: tinea versicolor.  Not contagious.  Try having him apply selsun shampoo nightly for a week.  If that fails, see a dermatologist.

The marks will go away.

Best.

Dr. R
I have slightly patchy pigmentation on my face which is called chloasma may be from using the pill.

This really depresses me and summer holidays are a nightmare I have stopped taking the pill but don
Please see the advice I gave Jane back in August.  Best.  Dr. R
i have a friend who has a skin discoloration on her body. She's overweight and she tell's me that where she has the creases on her body, the skin color is much darker. Her neck, behind her knees, in the folds of her upper and lower abdominal area. She told me that the name of this condition was something that started with the letter ( N ) and for the life of me, I can't seem to find the name of this skin disorder. She's also a diabetic, and I don't know if that has anything to do with her skin discolor. She won't even wear her hair up for embarassment of the dark skin discolor in her neck folds. If you know the name of this skin disorder, PLEASE let me know what it is.

thank - you
joyce
It's called acanthosis nigricans ("dark thickening")  Not serious, but not much to do aboit it.

Dr. R
I have had dark patches on the side, and on the big toe on both of my foot, for the past 7-8 yrs. First, it started out on one foot, just on the side, and for a while it seemed to come and go. Then it spreads to the big toe, and on both foot. For the past few years, it has been getting worst. The skin where the dark patches are have become thicken, hard, and dark brown in color. I had seemed a dermatologist, and was given ULTRAVATE CREAM. The cream hasn't work. I have also tried Hydrocortisone, vaseline, vit E lotion, but none seems to be working.
I have small white spots on my leg and buttock area, by the way I have olive skin tone.  It started out looking like exzema (eczema) patches. I consulted my dermatologist.  She suggested using a hydrocortizone ointment.  I did so.  The patches have cleared but now I am left with white spots.  Will these spots ever colour again?  Should I be putting anything on them, or have I lost pigmentation forever?  Please advise.
I have abused my skin via sun.I am a 29 year old female with a lot of skin cancer in my family.I used tanning beds and the real sun this summer and became quite dark.I am caucasian.I have been noticing blotches f skin that are the color of ".Darker than my skin,but hardly.What are these?Any ideas?coffee with cream"
I am a black female.  I have dark spots on my legs and thighs from where the hair grow on my legs.  What is this called and what can I do to get rid of it.  I started to really notice it when I was a freshman in college.  Is there a product I can use to take the marks off.  Thanks
I have very light complexion. My problem are the brown spots on
both sides of my face. On the left side the spots are wide, on
the right, are some small spots. I have tried different kinds of cream with hydroquinone, but nothing seems to work . Is there any way to get rid of this? Please help.

thanks a lot.
I'm a African-American women age 62, and for the past year, the pigmentation on my lips is changing to pink. It seems that I have lost the color in my lips.
What could be the cause?
What could be the cause?
I am an asian.I have a dark complexion. But my face is much darker than my body. My brother also has the same problem. What is this due to? Is this condition curable? If so, how?

Thnakyou
my sister has this thing and she is 12 years old and have never ever wore shote in her life she does not know what it feels like to have wind blow up agaist her legs