Red peeling lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red peeling lips

About 6 months ago I began to develop an area along the line of my upper lip on the left side that was red and peeling. Over the past month this area has spread to cover all of my upper and lower lips. This does not itch but the lips are more sensitive and the peeling has become quite extensive and unsightly. I have tried HC cream and moisturizers with no improvement. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or ideas you might be able to offer. Thank you.
Take additional B vitamins.  My neurologist told me to take extra riboflavin along with magnesium as preventative.  My skin on my lips improved a great deal.  I still get peeling, but it is less severe and not so unsightly now.
Firstly, It can be due to vit B deficiency. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly,it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you both so much; you've given me some ideas and something to try. I wish I could consult a dermatologist. Unfortunately, I am on Medicare and the physicians in my city will not take Medicare patients. So I will try the B complex and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again.
I want to thank both of you! I bought a bottle of Vitamin B complex and within just a week the peeling of my lips stopped completely! I would never have known that a vitamin deficiency could cause a problem like this. I appreciate your help and I have MedHelp bookmarked for future use!!
You are welcome! i am glad that you have improved with your symptoms. Best wishes and take care.