Trust me on this one...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Trust me on this one...

I am a physician assistant and finishing medical school now and have been through too many physiology classes to talk about it.  I have practiced medicine since 2001 in all types of surgery including general and vascular.  I have the itchy leg thing after showers and at night and worse in winter and I can tell you what it is...  This is primarily related to vasodilation of the superficial vessels(near the skin in common terms).  Yes prostacyclin induced histamine release may play a role but to speak plainly... keep your legs away from heat and anything else that dilates skin vessels(ie heating blankets, too many blankets)  Alcohol can also induce a peripheral vasodilation that causes similar symptoms.  If you want to test my theory go out in the winter and let your feet get really cold (ie skiing, sled riding-try not to get frostbite...that will make this sound like a really bad experiment)  When you come in the house put your feet under warm bathwater before giving them a good chance to acclimate...if this induces the symptoms thats probably all it is.  Some of you may have other things going on but this may just be your body responding in a normal physiologic way to an environmental stimulus(the skin is supposed to vasodilate in response to heat because it helps to keep your core body temperature from going too high by releasing heat through the skin .  Just like when it is cold out and your vessels in the hands vasoconstrict to prevent heat loss from the core.  

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.
So I've been having this problem only for a couple of weeks now and it is already becoming unbearable! It is usually after I take a shower and sometimes when I work out (especially if it is during the winter). It brought to tears this morning as I was having to use a hair brush to satisfy an itch that wouldn't go away, and here I am at the end of the day and i am still slightly itching. I am 24 and have taken hot showers all my life, so i don't see how it will all of a sudden do this. Plus I live in Texas and can't exactly stay away from heat. Any suggestions of what else I can do to help this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Have i answered one of your posts previously?
Do you have any known allergies?

Change in temperature,humidity, and other environmental factors may play a role in pruritus or itchiness. However,it is still  important that you observe other possible triggers that could cause your condition.A reaction to dust,chemicals in the water or from the shower,sweating and the use of unknown irritants such as creams and lotion may lead to itchiness.Oral antihistamines and topical corticosteroids (inform your physician prior to using any of these) may help.

However,they may only alleviate the itchiness temporarily.The underlying cause or trigger has to be ascertained so at least it may be avoided.
hi i am 23 and live in NH and have been experiencing the itchiness for probably close to ten years, or at least that is as long as I can remember.  I definately agree that it is due to changes in temperature, my itching starts when I get out of the shower, and also when I wake up in the morning and throw my warm covers off my legs and have them exposed to cooler air.  So I am just wondering what you can do to help this vasodilation?  I would freeze if I don't sleep with covers and I definately need to take hot showers.  I feel I generally have extremely sensitive skin and am allergic to metals (they give me a bumpy itchy rash).  Are there any creams that help? Has anyone come up with a name for this strange disorder we are all suffering from?!
Hello. I have the itchy leg syndrome also and was wondering if you or anyone else reading this has ever heard of treatingit with PUVA (ultra violet light) therapy? I have read on other links that this has cured the itch for others. I happen to work in a dermatology clinic and I saw one of the M.D's who did some bloodwork to rule out any systemic conditions. She drew for liver, kidney, gall, bladder, thyroid and of course a complete blood count. All tests came back just fine. She told me that I have atopic dermatitis and gave me Triamcinolone cream to try for three weeks to try to stop the itch/scratch cycle. The cream does not work and as I tried to explain to her, it is not skin related, it is internal. I do beleive that it has something to do with histamines and blood flow, but I think there must be a cure. WE souldn't have to live with taking 5 minute cold showers
I am a  41 year old woman who has suffered from this for quite a few years now. Going to doctors never helped because they were always clueless and made you feel like you were just crazy and could never help.  I suffer from this intolerable itching every time a take a bath, jog, & sometimes in the mornings after my legs were kept warm under the blankets all night. My itching is on my legs, under my buttucks, & alittle under my armpits. The legs are unbearable. I used to scratch so hard I would cause bruising.   I don't beleive it is from stress at all because at times I have no stress. Nor does it have anything to do with soaps, detergents, or dry skin. It must have something to do with either blood circulation , or the sudden change of temperatures (as when you are getting out of a warm shower, into the cold air).  I hate taking showers because I know I will suffer 20 minutes or so afterwards & can do nothing until it stops and my body temperature goes back to normal. Then I am ok. The longer I am in the tub, the more I suffer from the itching. The only thing I have known to do is to try to make the water alittle cooler, bathe quickly and get out fast, try not to expose yourself to the air conditioning, keep the legs dry and covered from the cool air so that there is no extreme temp. changes, and massaging the legs with a lotion helps too.  Its good to know we are not alone and we are not crazy.  I hope this helps in some way.
just to add to this string and talk to the doctor at the top who started this thread. i have had "itchy leg syndrome" for about 3 years. i live in england, not too hot over here =o) besides this i do NOT get the symptoms after showering or bathing and I like my water extreemly hot. I generally get it slightly during the day and intensly at night no matter it the heating is on / off, window open / closed, quilt on / off and no heated blanket. I have ruled out washing powder, chemicals, moisturisers, never been allergic to anything. one website suggested pressure hives but like hundreds of people I am drawing a blank to this problem. I am going to see my GP on monday as my poor partner finds me scratching my legs at night untill they bleed intolerable. I think some people my suffer from a slight reaction to extreem temperature change but not all. especially those that have tried everything and still have this problem. i agree with most that talk about this that our GPs probably think its in our minds or are slightly crazy but with all these people suffering the same sypmtoms and most doctors not knowing what the issue is then something is obviously a miss.
hi shadowtear, what did the doctor say?  I live in England too and have the same problem with my itchy legs at night, not after showers and my poor boyfriend also get very annoyed with my itching under the covers.  I have been thinking about going to the doctor about it but after reading so many posts on forums I have been put off.  So I wondered if it helped for you?
Damonhoff-

I have been suffering from severe itching on my legs and occasionally my arms and back for almost 5 years now. First I saw a dermatologist, then I saw my internist, who then referred me to my current allergist. He also claimed my itching was probably related to vasodilation, primarily since alcohol, hot water, humidity, sweating, shaving my legs, and chlorine seem to set it off and the only thing that helps at all are ice packs. My doctor has now put me on hydroxyzine, sudafed, xyzal, zantac, and several nasal sprays.

I'm a very complicated case in that I not only am dealing with this itching, but have Type 1 Diabetes, Crohn's Disease, and Sleep Apnea. I'm not sure if one of the medications I'm on has started this itching or not, but if so, it would likely be one of the Crohn's meds. I've found that the itching is the worst though if I let the hair on my legs grow too long or if I shave my legs (so it's pretty much a big Catch-22). Do you have any insight as to what may help additionally with the itching...I managed to scratch so hard several months ago I actually managed to get ringworm on my arm.

I have the same itchy legs. But for me if i dont take a hot bath the itching will be worst. It seems to be worst if i take a bath in the morning so i always take one at night. It also seems to be worst in the summer than winter. when I get up in the morning i cant wear socks because it will itch very bad. I dont scratch cause that seems to make it worst so I will sit and just rub my legs. I think it does have something to do with blood circulation and nerve endings.  
Hi.  After reading these post I am almost in tears.  I too have been itching for at least 9 years now on my legs and sometimes on my arms.  It is the most intense, painful itching.  It is so helpful to know that there are other people out there that know what its like, know what I am going through.  I try to explain it to family and friends, even doctors and I always feel they dont truley grasp how interfering this is.  The earliest itching spell I can recall was around the age of 19.  It seems that it is worse in the morning after I get out of the shower.  I itch everyday, just on a different level.  Some morning the itching is at a 4 and some its a 10.  the 10's are what I call itch attacks.  I have learned to tolerate the 4 and 5 days, even though it is still very uncomfortable however the 10 days are not.  It seems once the itching hits its peak I cant do anything.  The pain and itching in so intense it brings me to tears, begging for it to stop.  Nothing seems to help.  Lotions, ice packs, laying down or putting something over the itching body part.  I have seen all kinds of dotors over the last 8 years and have tried all kinds of medication.  Allergist, dermatologist, neurologist and internal medicine doctors; lotions, lotions w/ steroids, antihistamine, anti-anxiety medication, anti-depression medications, medication for nerves; I have had tons of blood work as well as an EMG and MRI.  Nothing seems to help, no one seems to know what to do.  Has anyone found anything that helps?  Has anyone been diagnosed with anything?  I would love to talk to more people with some of the same symptoms.  It makes me feel better knowing there are people who understand and that I am not crazy, that this is real.  
I agree with you. I'm 32, from Brazil, and lived there until i was 20 years, but it started when I was 15 living in Italy(winter), but now i live in USA for years. I only have it if it's a bit cold, (I live in FL now, but my AC runs cold at night)... and yes my feet is always cold.. I have the same thing on the morning, if i get up and jump straight to the shower before walk to the kitchen to make my coffee (that explains the cold legs syndrome, haha)... I know it's ADRENALINE REACTION for me at least...It feels like crawling bugs, bites & nettles for a minute them it stops...(I had it also before my first 1/2 marathon.4:30 in the cold morning, without stretching... and if I go run in the morning without walking first) I never put it together until now... but makes sense to me... I'll just avoid "jump" in to the shower in the mornings and run without walking first. In other words, I think everyone should avoid a radical body temperature change, especially from cold to hot too fast... Now I can sleep and not think of bugs!!!lol Thank you DOC ;) !!!
Im 21 in England and this has been happening 2 me 4 a few months now and agree that its to do with blood circulation. Ive generally learned 2 stop listening 2 most doctors who dnt rele give a damn and try 2 pass every challenging diagnoses as being in my head or stress related. It happens after showers, and i always have cold feet and hands as others have said. I also suffer from aching joints and was wondering if any1 else does and if its related?  Its soo annoying tho..!
Hi, I'm a 30 year old woman living in ENgland and this has been plaguing me for the best part of 4 years.  Went to doctor again this morning, who looked at me as if i was making it up because "the tests have all come back fine".  I'm easily stressed, but even when I'm at my most relaxed, the itching is there.  I developed this when living in Hong kong and so don't think geography is a factor.  I have shown a reaction to dust mite but despite going to great lengths to reduce this, I still have the itching.  I too have cold hands and feel the cold a lot more than most people so always wrapping up in as many (cotton) layers as possible.  Most clothes irritate like crazy, tights are a no-go, silks and cotton safest bet.  Bathing makes it a bit worse, but as yet I can find no obvious pattern.  Tried changing diet, washing powders, etc.  There is no rash, I'm also at a bit of a loss.  Perhaps there is something in what damonhoff is saying as i think mine may get a bit worse with alcohol.  I'm absolutely despairing at this as the doctors are so unsupportive and I feel terrible keeping my partner awake with the constant itching.  It's not particularly sexy either!  I am seeing a dermatologist next week but not feeling too optimistic.  ALwyas nervous to say you found something on the internet as they take you even less seriously!  If any breakthroughs are made, I'll keep you posted!
I am 32 and have really itchy arms and legs- legs are worsed affected, always after showers, I have scratched so hard I have bled and often resort to the hairbrush too for relief. I have suffered with it since I was 2 years old my mum says I used to run round the lounge crying "my legs are tickling, my legs are tickling" you can imagine I have tried everything. It itches so bad I feel like my blood is boiling with anger and I usually end up crying. I am a very chilled out person normally so don't feel stress is the issue, but I do find that if I run round the block or jump on the spot the itching subsides after a while ... this makes me think it is related to circulation. ( it may be that the distraction helps me cope with it)  just as a side point even when my arms/legs have stopped itching I have a little itch somewhere all the time chest -chin- back-arm-knee....  I joke that it is the same one walking round me. I have never been to the doctor,  I felt they would think I was crazy as until finding this forum I have never come across anyone suffering the same thing.
I put the word itch in quotations because if you have what I have then you know it is no "itch." On my hands it is more like being slowly eaten alive by a million microscopic mouths. On my arms it is as fiery thorns. On my chest, back and legs it comes in waves and surges upon a thousand points of contact. It began when I was 13; I am 33 now. 20 YEARS!!!

I have had periods of relief and a few things that have helped that might help you too. I've noticed that I NEVER sweat. That is primarily because I do not typically drink water. I mean like never! Without sweating there is not the natural cooling down of the skin when the body temperature rises. Whenever I inundate my body with water, I sweat, and I don't experience the "itch" no matter how hot it is.

Also, a natural health book that my sister was reading to treat her children's eczema mentioned a certain type of eczema that had no visible symptoms. It said it was caused by a lack of B vitamins and that heat or stress could cause the body to deplete B vitamins which are used to bring oxygen to the skin. Without B vitamins the skin doesn't breath well. It recommended B vitamins (of course) and sea kelp. This helped but after a while I got confident and stopped taking the sea kelp. Then even got lazy with the vitamin B. The skin scourge returned.

If you're like me, you've gotten really good at grinning and bearing it in public. The Apostle Paul prayed that God would remove the "thorn in his flesh" but God's answer was that His grace would be sufficient for Paul. I pray that He has another answer for us.
"It seems once the itching hits its peak I cant do anything."  

Isn't that the strangest thing. I've come to wish for that feeling even when not itching. Like it's a super power or something...lol
I, too , have had itching on and off for years.  I have no clue why it starts , just that it does.  What really drives me crazy is it will itch on my right arm and then sort of hop over to my left leg and then my back or somewhere else.  I'm not sure how to describe it........"a hopping itch", a stabbing itch"..........I do have dry skin and can't shower every day as it will get drier, I have lotion to put on it..........right before drying off as I have to shower every other day in warm water (no hot) can only use Dove, can't wash my clothes in anything but water, no soap powder in the wash , no liquid soap. My liver tests are fine. But my allergy tests on a scale from 1 to 4 for each allergen is a 3 to 4 with 4 being the worst.  I thought when they put each allergen under the skin that I would surely go crazy.  And then they tell you not to scratch.  There is not enough Benedryl in the free world to stop that itch.  But it is allergy season again in NY, USA and I guess here we go again.  Hope you all find your reasons for this itch as it is maddening.
have any of you been tested for Gilberts Syndrome? My sister suffered for years and then just by chance they discovered that her bilirubin level was through the roof.  The only way the body can process large amounts of bilirubin is to force it out the skin, which in turn can make you itchy, heat agrevates it, it can make you massively tired too.  Just a thought - hope it helps, it can be genetic too, so it could run in your family too xXx
i see this is quite a recurring problem with alot of people especially women =O heres my story, when i was 16 it started for lets say 3 weeks, i tried allsorts, eczema cream - e45 blah blah. then all the sudden it went, now, being 20 it has returned with a vengence.

The only way i can describe this itching is like having athletes foot all over your shins and thighs, although it doesnt go passed mid-thigh. if you have ever had athletes foot you shall know how insane that makes you.

Last time i had this itching it drove me insane too, i even have a scar above my knee where i scratched too hard because it was driving me nuts. I think it may be linked to warm weather, i live in the UK and it seems to crop up in warm weather (as we dont have alot of it ¬¬)

also i tried deducting my pill, i used to take microgynon then switched to logynon and now back to microgynon again and its recurred when ive been on the microgynon pill. But now i cant even use that as an excuse because ive heard men having the itching.
Although im pretty sure its hormonal somehow, pregnancies ive heard of it cropping up alot.

Even so i am no doctor, and no one knows how to get rid of this damn itching!

i thought it wise to post my comment as the more stories people hear maybe it will make a bigger picture.

My sympathies go out to all of you who have this =( but the best thing for me is taking my mind off of it, but i know i know it occurs when im trying to get to sleep too!
this is no fun,its like somebody taking some needles and sticking me all over and then here comes the feeling like you're on fire.
I live in Dallas, TX and I starting itching about 4 years ago.  It only happens after showers and shaving from fall to the end of spring.  I started taking very short, cold showers and I even stopped washing my legs in the shower.  I noticed that when I wash them, it hurts even more.  I almost refuse to shave my legs because of the pain.  I get so irritated from the itching that I do not want my fiance being in the room with me because it puts me in such a bad mood.  He tries to help- so, he takes one leg and I take the other and we softly rub my legs from ankle to knee with our fingertips.  I notice that when I scratch with my nails, the itching lasts longer and hurts worse.  I have tried changing soaps, detergents, water type, water temperature, lotions, how often I shower- and nothing seems to help.  Can anyone help me?  How can I make this stop?  I'm tired of being afraid to shower shave.
I have had ongoing leg itchiness for approx. 17 years.  I first noticed it when hiking and I got a rash and itch under my wool socks.  So I began wearing sock liners of a different fabric so the wool would not touch my skin which did seem to help for a time.  The I noticed when I got into the hot tub my lower legs seemed irritated and itched so I stopped getting into the hot tub.  Over time the itchiness has increased for no apparent environmental reason so I started experimenting with possible food allergy and stopping various foods along the way to see if I could see any improvement.
I have been a "milk and milk product" addict for as long as I can remember and I have hear if you have and addiction it could mean something like you have an allergy to a food.  I also heard that milk is one food group that people are highly allergic to and have all sorts of weird reactions from. So I got off the milk, ice cream, cheese and anything with milk in it.  It was the hardest thing I ever did to give up all my favorite things.  But it did seem to help and I no longer crave milk.  I have noticed when I do give in to cheese or ice cream my leg itchiness goes from mild to severe.  I am still not 100% sure that the milk products cause the itchiness but it does seem to aggravate it.  I also have tried all the prescriptiopn and OTC remedies others have talked about here, to no avail.
I can scratch my legs until they are raw then scratch some more.  I have found nothing for relief except scratching.  Not fun!
My father had this also.  He passed away at 59 from liver failure (not etoh related) so that has also been a concern for me.
I've been dealing with itching without rash since I was young - well over 30 years.  The itching seems to come at the changing of seasons, usually when winter changes to spring, and especially when late summer changes to fall.  I also get the same itch just after swimming in a pool, and taking a shower.  I have had this for so long, that I know two things for sure.  1) No doctor will ever understand, and will always try to prescribe a cream or pill, and 2) this is not caused by a food allergy or allergy to laundry detergent.  Benedryl will help, but not all the time, so I don't bother.  Here's my solution (for what it's worth).  I believe this itching has something to do with humidity level, and most assuredly has everything to do with skin temperature.  I noticed that if I wrapped up in a blanket and rocked back and forth for 5-10 minutes, the itch would go away as fast as it came, like someone turned off a light switch.  By creating body heat and trapping it in the blanket, my skin's temp went back up and itch was gone.  Knowing this, I have refined this to using a heat source such as a car heater, hair dryer, or small portable heater (be careful), and wrapping up.  OR, my favorite, take a HOT HOT shower, and then immediately get out and wrap up under a blanket.  If your skin cools very slowly, you will be fine.  But if you stand around after the shower without trapping your body heat, the itch will return and drive you CRAZY.  If you are headed off to work, take a shower, get dressed immediately, jump into the car, and crank the heat way up.  You'll see that the itch goes away when the car heat gets high enough.

I know how crazy this all sounds, and that a doctor would laugh.  But I can almost guarantee that this will work for thousands of people who have a sensitivity to skin temp changes.  Some of you may have real allergys (allergies), but at least try this first.  Someday people will figure this all out so we don't all seem crazy.  Until then, heat up your skin!

Oh, and BTW...my dad has this same thing, and this has worked for him, too.  It must be genetic, so keep your eyes open for other family members who might have the same issue.

GOOD LUCK!
Yes!!! I believe the daminhoff hit it on the head in 2008. Their post talks of hystamine release which is the Samr thing my wonderful doc. diagnosed in me. She prescribed a daily over the counter clairatin or loratadine.  It seems to help most of the time...I definitely notice if I miss a few days.
I am so happy to see I am not the only one dealing with this.  I look it up alot and can't find much info.  I do know it is not a dermatology issue it feels too random and internal.  I also know it is not psychosomatic as I've forgotten my medication and did not realize until I began to itch... Really wasn't thinking about it prior to the symptoms.... So to end at the start, this condition began about 2 yes ago , I am now 35 F.  It comes on during pysical exertion, stressful moments,  hot days,  and if I soak in a hot tub. I conclude it has to do with heart rate or blood pressure.  
I know how to treat this however I'd love to know what caused it to begin with.  I often wonder if it is not a sign of something more serious.
Thanks in advance for any further feedback.
I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else, I thought it was just me... I started having itchy legs, actually from the toso down to toes for about a year.  It itches when the legs are warm, ala under covers or near a fireplace, etc.. at time it keeps me up most of the night and now that the Northeast is getting colder hard to not get under the covers at night so its killing me.  Weird is I notcied this right about the time I was diagnosed with Shingles.  Now I had a very mild case nothing bad but I was told that shingles had nothing to do with the itching and it was a coincidence could be but man I am going crazy here there has to be some cure and still don't understand how it just starts out of nowhere one day...
just begining this journey...two things...NO SLEEP due to the feel of skin crawling..almost like you walked thru a spider web....crazy...Itching is worst when sitting or laying down. I am exhausted havent begun the journey with doc and dermotologist yet. Tried no milk, no choc didnt help. Bendadry didnt work. Aveeno bath, shower and lotions NO HELP! been up since 3AM husband thinks i am a nut!!!!
I am also new to the fantastic world of itching. As I'm reading all the comments and trying to remember when the itching mostly occurs. I definitely think that temperature plays a factor. In fact, about a month ago when the itchy feeling occured for the first time I hopped in the shower thinking that I was having an allergic reaction to soap or laundry detergent and I was freaking out because it got so much worse.. Took about a half hour before it subsided.... My itching is everywhere but mostly occurs on my legs. When I remove my clothes it's starts almost immediately. Once again pointing to a temperature change. What I don't understand is that I'm 41 years old.... Why is this happening all of a sudden? It's obvious that nobody seems to know so we all need to keep researching and find that person who knows what is happening to us and how to resolve it because I'll kill myself before I have to live like this for the rest of my life....
I forgot to add that the top of my left leg is a little numb....I have feeling, but it feels weird.... Don't know if it's related or not but thought I would mention it.
i have had itchy legs for all my life and i also have very bad exema (eczema) but all the creams and medicines and body washes nothing helps so i am left with cuts scabs and scars every where what can i do ? am i left with this for the rest of my life please what am i to do ....................................................................................                                 p.s for all those with exema (eczema) (now dont ask why i dont know and to admit its kinda weird ) but buffalo milk is supposed to work to drink that is personally ive tried it and i dont remember the out come beaause i was only a kid but i think my mum said it helped any way if u are to try it for itching there are farms al over england u can go 2 its not expensive i have to say if u are willing to try it get the ice cream i liked it better
Here are links to two German studies that have scientifically linked itching to short-term mild reductions in skin temperature. The tests involved healthy subjects who were given local exposure to a histamine solution to create an itch. When their skin temperature was reduced from around 90 degrees F to 77 degrees F, itching went up.

The second study was by the same group of researchers. It shows MRI scans of the brain that demonstrates changes in the brain corresponding to the itching.

I think this may explain that part of the syndrome associated with itching after showers and the itching that I sometimes experience when wearing shorts outdoors and when swimming.

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v126/n12/full/5700577a.html
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v128/n2/full/5701002a.html
I am 60 yrs and it started with me just a few weeks ago - but it is a horrific feeling (the itching)
I once hear Vick's Vaporub applied to itch will make it stop (at least for several hours) and it does
Having read all comments on this problem.

I myself suffer from this, and have done for past 2 years, tried alsorts, but nothing works. However reading your comment regard numbness.

I have this in the arm that has this so-called itch, but it's mainly in my left upper part of arm. However my numbness is in my little finger.

The so-called itch also has stopped on it's own for a period of 2 months, then started again.  It has at times gone into my legs and feet and even gone to my other arm.

Strange.

ive got the same drives me mad off to the docters for me tommorow ,ive seen a specialist he said it was ultacaria i dont think so im taken fenafexadine 180 and a antihistamine nothink helps but i can sleep just, ive just had a blood test to see if its anythink to do with me liver. ive got a cat and i wonder if im getting the itchys from him
I have had a lot of similar issues with the atopic dermatitis tag put on it by a dermatologist.  I'm 66 and have been fighting this since mid 30's.  Still have lots of itch after lukewarm showers, skin cream all over my body.  It does relieve it for a few hours but then returns. Seems like I should take another shower in the aft and put on more skin cream.  By the way, I use both udder balm and sometimes a steroid cream.  l was also told to use CetaPhil soap which has no perfumes, and also wash my clothes and sheets with non-perfumed laundry soap.  The heat factor and stress seem to be a major contributor to the itching.  I was told to use the UVB therapy but was a little worried about skin cancer. I did do it for a while but don't think it made an improvement.  This fall, it seems like allergy season also kicked my itching into high gear.  Sometimes I feel that cold compresses on itching helps also.  I guess I have no great answers for all of you above, even though I think I'd try anything also.  I am wondering if with all the skin beautifying products,  isn't there some med school, company, anyone doing any further  ongoing studying for our problems.  If not, perhaps some kind of forum could be started where we could make our own study and come up with common symptoms, ideas, remedies and hopefully solutions. Any further ideas or comments?  God bless all.
I suffer from super itchy legs way more during the winter. It is mostly the lower legs but goes to upper legs and other parts of my body. I use aloe Vera gel to hemp soothe it temporarily and scratch while massaging the gel into my legs. Sometimes  scratch so hard they bleed. I've started to keep record of what triggers it and amazingly I've noticed that every time I eat sweet tart candies, smarties, Pixie ariz and other fruity candies by Willy wonka or others that use the same sweeteners will cause almost an immediate reaction. I will have the itching get unbearable within five or ten minutes after eating more than a nibble and they are my favorite candies so its hard to stay away from them but every time without fail that I eat these I get itching. Another prominent area of itching is my upper stomach just below my breasts all the way across my upper rib cage. Another thing that I found to help with my skin condition is eating food grade diatomaceous earth and oatmeal. I eat up to two TBSP of diatomaceous earth a day, in juice or water and sometimes plain because I like the flavor of dirt.
Ive recently been haveing serious itching, all over my body! When i get sweaty especially at night i have been haveing this problem.. it all started one night when i woke up in a puddle of sweat, now ever since i get sweaty it seems to get worse. And now im starting to have severe anxiety from this which im noticeing makes it worse as well.... ive been takeing benedryl like tic tacs and it dosent seem to help. Can anyone help or let me know if its cause ive been severly depressed, and anxious?
I've had my first two episodes of this itching that drives you insane.  First time it was limited to my hands (palms mostly) and the tops of my feet, two months ago.  Was also having very bad headaches, chills, joint pain, and thought it might be part of a virus -- but no fever or nausea -- but slightly loose bowels.  All of that went away on its own after a week, so i thought it might be some virus.  .  

Today the itching has returned with a vengeance all over my feet and up to my knees -- they are solid red, not splotchy or with any raised red bumps, and there is pain and itching like crazy at the same time!  It is worse at night, but having covers on or off makes no difference, and showers don't seem to trigger it.  

I don't know, but this seems NOT to be a skin problem but an INTERNAL reaction to something.  I've had high allergies all my life to everything from various food, to skin contact with grass or weeds, and I've NEVER had anything like what I'm experiencing now, NONE of my allergy meds work with it.  I read where it could be related to extended use of Metformin for type 2 diabetes, since the Metformin raises liver enzymes.  Am changing meds to see if that helps.  My doc is also working on a solution -- I don't take kindly to doctors blowing me off, and if he can't figure it out, he'd better find someone who can!
Stacie, I know this is an old post and I am hoping to be able to still get a response. This morning I was searching the internet for answers, as my itch attack was a serious one! As I read your post, I was amazed because you described me to a "T"! I too have talked to dermatologists, friends and family and no one understands. Could you please tell me if you ever found any relief? I am desperate for answers. I have been experiencing this since I was 15, and I am 30 now. You can also email me at ***@****. Thank you so much!!!
Keep wondering about candida yeast as it can cause inflammation_ working on a treatment now - but I need to be willing to stay off sweets!   No one I can see mentions that or shingles type under the skin.   I am itching badly at night on my left shins and leg!    Too bad we can't put all these suggestions in a bottle ha
 I Have just the same problem. I am a 30 years old married male with 3 kids, and was born in Haiti. I moved to Miami, FL back when I was 18, just in case this has anything to do with background or location. A year later right after I turned 19, I started having this itchy problem. I've been suffer with this thing for over 11 years now, and i still have no clue of what causes it or how more worst it'll get. I am not sure if anyone's can be as worst as mine is. At first, I had no idea of what it was. It started in one leg and moved to the other one, then my arms and sometimes even my entire body. It be like my leg catches on fire, and the fire is spreading throughout my whole body. It will not stop until I scratch so much, blood starts to come out. That usually last between 35 minutes to an hour. My sister once  scared to be around me, like It was contagious. I went to mutiple Doctors and Hospitals countless amount of times, never been told any different but to use dove soap, aply lotion, and take cold shower. No Dr. Seems to understand my pain, not even the Army Dr. never once someone told me what is it. All they be like is used cold shower and if it gets worst, then come back. I tried everything but seems to me that it got worse. I got to a point where i just gave up on Dr. and now focus on how to better dealing with it myself. My goal is to first learn all the triggers, then how to avoid them. I now know most of it triggers. It seems to react more when its humid, or when the sun is very hot, and when its really cold. Also, I can't get in contact with water spray, rain or someone shakes their wet hands on me without having to spend a good 40 minutes of ants like pain. Some other way is if i wear tight socks, but after I take it off, and of course after shower. Some othere time, it could  just be something that day. No longer wear shorts onless i have to, because anything  in contact with my leg or arm could  trigger the itch. The way I cope with mine is by being alone away from everyone. That thing be so irritated, I don't wanna be around anything, I don't wanna see anything, I don't wanna talk to anyone. My wife knows what to do, she better move away and close the door so my kids can't  get in and come back 45 minutes later. I gotta keep my bed fixed and change beding set all the times. Best way i dealed with it after shower, I have to rush off the shower and dry my self really fast, and dry my feet real good, until I can't feel any wet spot at all and quickly get under a cover to warm myself, I cannot put anything on until it is gone, I would squeeze the spot that itch the most to get it hot and I would rub the other areas with my own body, or my hand, I stop scratching it now, no matter how painful it is, because once I scratch one area, it would trigger the fire all over my body and I will not be able to stop scratching. It would last over hour versus if I warm myself and squeeze the itching spots. Also I try to take a shower as often as possible, the chances are, 50% of the times it might not itch versus if I take a shower once which more likely will itch 100% of the time. I feel like it has nothing to do with type of products we used because it doesn't start any where else but my legs and arms, why not my face. And i don't think its the water either, because ive been ti so many country and so many type of water. My Dr. told me its not my skin that my skin is healthy. I can't wait to figure this thing out and fix it. I feel bad that there are others that feel as badly as I do. My biggest problem is fear of shower when my roommates still home, i can't let them discover that embarassing symptom or even risk getting put on some kind of restriction by the army or even worst, getting put out of the military which is so horrible, because I still gotta shower and be where I need to be on time.
BTW: I find out that my sister that used to scared of me is now have it. I di believe this is genetic.
I too have been suffering from severely itchy legs and feet.  It has gotten to the point that I have even scracthed off a layer of skin in some areas.  The only thing that seems to relieve my itching is ice packs on my legs.  I have been dealing with this for approximately three years now.  My doctor prescribed me creams and such, all of which have not worked.  It has just become a routine to freeze cold packs during the day in preparation for the evening.  If i am working at the computer during the day I keep a small desk fan on the floor near my feet and keep the air blowing on it.  I wish there was some explanation and cure for this.  To suffer with something like this for such a long period of time is just unbelievable.