Wound after Mole Removal/Stitches Removed

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

7119971?1312394113
Hello, I had a mole removed a week from the date of this post. Was fine, easy etc. Came back okay benign.  Today I had my stitches taken out, which they said looked fine. Anyways, the problem is, I think, that the wound is actually open? I was under the impression that after you have stitches removed, the wound is supposed to be closed and shouldn't reopen. Well, mine is pretty open. It looks like a hole in the side of my face. Is this normal after stitches are removed, or was it not healed enough when they removed the stitches?

It started off looking really good. And it looked good through most of it while stitched... but now I am afraid, and the picture will show why :(
Wow, that looks pretty opened. I had a mole removed in the past, and when the doctor took the stitches out the wound stayed closed. Your is completely opened and might get infected.
I would see the doctor ASAP!
Thank you.

I'm officially freaked out.

From the picture, it definitely looks like an open wound after mole removal and it may need resuturing. First of all the surgeon will feel the depth of the wound with his hands and then the area will be cleaned with normal saline. Then with the help of a scalpel, scissors, or other instrument dead tissue is cut from the wound. All this is done under local anaesthesia. It is the quickest and most efficient method of debridement.

After debridement, dressings are applied which are to be changed periodically. Superficial opened wound can heal by secondary intention phenomenon, but if wound is a deep one, then resuturing of the wound is done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.