Dermatology Expert Forum
mole under eye

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

mole under eye

I've had a small raised mole under my eye for as long as I can remember (it is in the lower eyelash line under my eye very close to the edge of my actual eye).

It lately has been showing different shades of color within the mole.  My dermatologist is not concerned about the mole and said that the differences in color is the mole going through the process of losing it's color. She did say, however, that she could remove the mole for me if I wanted.

My questions:  If I were to get the mole removed, who should I go to for the least amount of scarring?  A dermatologist or a plastic surgeon? Would it really make a difference?

What suggestions do you have for an effective removal? (I always wonder about the thinness of skin there, whould they cut a hole through into my eye?)

Is there a way to get a biopsy to make sure it's not cancerous and then have it removed by laser?

What would you suggest for removal. . . laser? or normal cut off?

Thank you for your time!
Moles are best removed by shaving or cutting, rather than laser.  Biopsies are generally sent, though cancer doesn't seem likely.  If the mole is small, a dermatologist should be able to take care of it as well or better than a plastic surgeon.  Ask your dermatologist what she thinks.  The skin's thinness poses no problem either way.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I do not know about small moles in particular, but I can tell you that I've had many moles removed by different dermatologists and one by a plastic surgeon. The only time I did not end up with a prominent scar was when the plastic surgeon removed the mole.