Dermatology Expert Forum
tiny red spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

tiny red spots

HI, I have got to say this is a very interesting and hepful forum!!  I was just wondering what the formal definition of peteciae (I guess that is how you spell it) is.  I have several individual ones on my body (one on my stomach, two on my thigh, one on each are and a couple on my hands.  One of them I have had forever.  They are about the size of pin pricks and to tell you the truth I do not even know how I saw them.  I was trying to find info. on the internet about them, but all I could find was there relation to leukemia and other horrible diseases!!!  This is really scaring me, I have had them every once in a while for as long as I can remember.  
  Are these something I need to be worried about?  
Are there any causes for them that are not disease related?  Sometimes it seems like I have more on my chest right when I get out of a hot shower (rarely, last time that happened was about a year ago)
Lauren:

From your description, I'm really not sure what red spots you are describing, but they are most likely to be either cherry angiomas (benign collections of blood vessels) or blocked follicles.  Either way, I wouldn't worry if I were you.  next time you have a checkup, show your doctor.

Best.

Dr. R
I have the same red marks, however, the ones I've got don't disapear & reapear. I have about 5 or 6 that, throughout my life, just apeared. Along with alot of other moles. The ones I'm concerned about are the red ones, because a friend told me that his doctor mentioned that it could be related to liver problems. Could you give me more info?
Im so glad I found this forum!  I have several little bumps - they are not like a rash - but they are blood red!  One here, one there..  I've just noticed about 7 or 8 throughout my body (not arms, legs or head).  EKK!  What is it!!??!  It does not bother me - not itchy or hurt - but I'm kinda worried!
Thanks!
I HAVE LITTLE RED DOTS ON MY ARMS,CHEST, AND A FEW ON MY HANDS AND SHOULDERS. THEY LOOK LIKE PIN DOTS AS WELL. THEY NEVER GO AWAY.THEY DO NOT HURT OR ITCH. I STARTED GETTING ONE OR TWO ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO AND NOW I AM FINDING MANY MORE ON MY SKIN.
THEY LOOK LIKE A DARK RED DOT WITH A LIGHT RED SHADOW AROUND THEM.IF I PULL THE SKIN AWAY FROM THE DOT, THE RED SHADOW GOES AWAY AND THEN COMES BACK WHEN I LET GO. CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME CLUES ON THIS.
I also have tiny red dots on my stomach chest and a few on my
legs, they don't itch or bother me but I just want to know
what they are.Please Help!!!!
I also have red spots that have appeared over the past two months and
they appear in a row in threes with a spaces between them. I went to
my doctor and she told me they were Campbell de Morgan spots and
told me to read up on them.  They are supposed to usually appear
mainly on the trunk part of the body, but I have them on the inside of
my thighs and some on my arms.  I have not been able to find the
cause of these - is it something in the enviroment, electronics,
digital sound waves????  Even though these are not painful, and I
do have small moles, I find them ugly.  I do know they can be removed
by laser by a dermatologist.  I want to find out how to prevent them.

I also have these tiny red dots on my upper body (mainly chest) but I don't have but a couple on my arms and legs. Is there any further information anyone can give for these? I haven't been to a doctor--they don't bother me a bit, just the appearance. It seems like there would have to be some other cause for them than something horrible, because I would think everyone would have some other type symptoms if there was a major health problem occuring.
i have pimple like spots that appear then are gone a few days later. they are either on my arms, legs, or back. do you know what it could be and what  i can do to stop it or relieve the problem. maybe its the soap im using. these spots hurt if i give alot of pressure to them. can you please get back.
ARe you guys redheads by any chance? I have the same thing going and all along thought it might be a "redhead thing"
I too have just noticed in the last month a bunch of little, tiny red dots on my inner arms, a few on my stomach and a few on my thighs. They're also not like a rash and they don't itch or bother me but they are really scaring me. I have been searching on the internet looking for descriptions of what they could be from and that has really scared me. I do have dry skin, but I don't think that's what is causing this. Could they be an allergic reaction?Please help!!!
I have cherry angiomas on my hands, chest and face.  In all I had about 20 "red dots".  I had them treated at the Beckman Laser Institute in Irvine by Dr. Stuart Nelson.  I was very pleased with the outcome.  If they really bother you laser is the best way to go.  The red dots instantly vanish and is followed by brusing that lasts about 1 week.
I also have some red dots on my arm. I have a lot of them on the inside of my right arm, soem on the right hand side of my breast plate. I also had some on my back, but they went away. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE. I am seeing a dermatologist on Friday and he gives me any clues i will post on this site. I think they might be caused by stress.
Please give me some clues as to what they are, they are really worrying me. Amanda, what you posted is exactly what i have.
My theory is that they are caused by the sun.  I tanned a lot and burned a lot as a teenager and that is when I started to notice them.  I think its a white people thing.  They also can get bigger over time, start as a pin *****, you feel an itch one day and scratch that area not thinking,and boom its a tiny little bit bigger and then nothing again.  Over time the spots can grow.  I thought they were called hemangiomas but maybe its now called cherry angioma.  My mother is in her 60's and I can see how big these things can get over time. I am glad to hear that laser can remove them permanently.  My understanding was that they were the broken capillaries under the skin (my own way of preventing it is to say stay out of the sun, I am convinced the sun is the culprit).  I once had a big one on my leg as a teenager and the skin kept breaking and it took a long time to stop, so I had to have it burned shut to stop the blood flow to those broken capillaries.  Its not life threatening at all.
The red spots can also be related to low platelet count in the blood stream, I haev this condition and it is what causes it.
I seem to have the same problem as all the other people. I asked my Doctor what they were but he doesn`t know.I have loads of them. Maybe he never saw them before. Since he`s only a new Doctor fresh out of School. What should I do about them? Or who should I see about them.
                                Thanx for your help

i've noticed the red pinpoint dots come out in greater numbers when i am taking pancreatic enzymes (for maldigestion) ...

whatever ... c'est la vie, i guess
I have the same problem with the blood spots except I have a ton of them that are pin size to large.  They don't go away!  They are spreading. on my arms, underneath, chest, stomach, legs, etc. It seems to spread when VERY stressed or upset.  Too many to lazer off.  Can anything be taken orally to stop them? They bleed a lot when opened.  Thanks
I have tiny red dots on my arms, chest, shoulders and legs. Howevers, mine are not raised. you can't feel them you can only see them. Also sometimes they seem to have a lighter color of skin around them than my usual skin tone. Anyone out there have the same??
Yes, believe it or not, my name is the same as this condition.

From what I've read, ageing (aging) is the main factor, a depressing enough thought! The proliferation of these cherry spots, cherry angiomas, haemangiomas etc., over a short period can indicate an internal malignancy, so get them checked out by your physician, which is what I'm going to do, as my 20 or so have appeared in the past year! It's really worrying when new ones seem to appear almost every day! As one contributor above suggested, is something more sinister the cause, food additives, microwaves etc.!

Take care!

Take care!
Ihave had this condition for about one year.  I have tried every over the counter cream.  I want to tell everyone with this condition beware it is contagious.  I started it on my feet and thought it was athletes foot.  Now it has moved to my hands.  The blisters pop and it gets more itchy than it was before.  My feet have become so raw I have a hard time walking without shoes.  My hands are very rough and scabed half the time from scratching so much.  When I am awake I try not to scratch but when I am sleeping I tear my skin open.  My husband has just started getting the same small blisters about a month ago.  Therefore I would doubt it would be an allergy to something.  My six year old son has started complaining about his feet itching and sure enough his skin has started peeling and he has one tiny blister. If anyone has any idea on how to get rid of this stuff please e-mail me at ***@****.  I can not take this anymore.
I HAVE SUFFERED FROM THIS VERY RASH FOR ABOUT ONE YEAR NOW.  fOR ME IT STARTED ON MY FEET.  I THOUGHT IT WAS ATHLETES FOOT FOR A MONTH AND TRIED EVERYTHING TO CURE IT.  THEN I STARTED GETTING BLISTERS THAT WOULD ITCH VERY BAD.  AT NIGHT WHEN I WAS SLEEPING I WOULD SCRATCH THEM AND WAKE UP WITH CRAKED PEELING SKIN.  NOW IT HAS MOVED TO MY  HANDS.  ON MY THUMB AND 1ST FINGER I HAVE MANY SMALL BLISTERS.  WHENEVER I SCRATCH THEM THEY BREAK AND BECOME MORE ITCHY.  I AM GETTING SCABS ALL OVER MY HANDS NOW BECAUSE AGAIN WHEN SLEEPING I TEAR OPEN MY SKIN.  MY FEET HAVE BECOME SO RAW I NEED SHOES ON TO WALK AROUND.  I CAN NOT TAKE ANY HEAT ON MY HANDS OR FEET THEY ARE SO SENSITIVE.  I WANT TO WARN EVERYONE THIS IS CONTAGIOUS.  MY HUSBAND ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO STARTED GETTING PEELING SKIN ON HIS FEET.  NOW HE HAS SMALL BLISTERS BETWEEN HIS TOES.  MY SIX YEAR OLD SON STARTED DEVELOPING THE SAME THING ABOUT 4 DAYS AGO.  IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING PLEASE E MAIL ME AT ***@****.  I AM GOING CRAZY AND CAN NOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE.
For three months now I have been discovering the tiny blood red dots on different areas of my body...I now have over 50 of them.I have now discovered one on my face as well.  I am 28 yrs. old and have been running low grade fevers for some time now...they have checked me for so many things..even HIV and all the testing has been normal.  I talked with my friends doctor friend and he suggested being tested for meningitis from the spinal fluid, he also mentioned rocky mtn. spotted fever as a long shot, and bacterial endocarditis.  Leukemia, he said would be last on his list.  I have never in my life had these spots until 3 months ago.  I see an endocrinologist in october and I will show the spots to him...if I am able to get a diagnosis, I will share it with you.  If you would like to e-mail me and talk about your experience of these dots..please feel free to do so.
MY HUSBAND HAS GOTTEN THESE RED SPOTS ON THE INSIDE OF HIS ARM'S AND NOW ON HIS BACK AND HEAD. HE NEVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS UNTIL HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL, AND HAD A BIOUPSI OF HIS LIVER SPLEEN AND PANCREAS. THEY SAY IT IS SURCOID. JUST RECENTLY THE SPOTS HAVE BEGIN TO APPEAR, AND ALL THE SIMPTONS ARE COMING BACK, LIKE THE ONES HE HAD BEFORE. IT IS SO UPSETING TO BOTH OF US, BECAUSE WE CANNOT GET ANY STRAIGHT ANSWERES. PLEASE HELP.  CAROLYEN
Goodness! this forum is a god sent! I tell you! I have about 9 of these spots in total and let me tell you, I found the same thing Lauren at the top of the list found. Stuff about leukemia and bunch of other diseases, it freaked me out!

I have been burned by the sun many many times. Growing up in the south FLorida sun could definitely do that to ya. ;o)

But, this site is wonderful. Truly, the first medical site to actually make me feel better!

THanks, Jen
I too have these tiny 'red dots'. I am only 22 years old and the doctor tells me that they are age spots. I recently had laser hair removal and it is only since then that these spots have appeared.  They are mainly on my stomach and legs and they also dissappear and reappear.
I have little red dots that appear all over and are sore and fade after awhile these are not cherry angiomas and I am hoping to see someone that can related themmto something, I also have cherry angiomas which I got after going on birth control pils they can be lasered of easlily but once you get them they tend to come back.
Here is some information:

http://medlineplus.adam.com/ency/article/001441.htm
i'M ALSO WORRY ABOUT THESE RED SPOTS THAT SEEM TO DUPLICATE IN MY BODY AS TIME GOES BY. MOST OF THESE SPOTS ARE IN MY CHEST. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY DOCTORS NOT TO WORRY ABOUT, BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT IT DOES BOTHER ME NOT TO KNOW THE ORIGIN OF THESE LITTLE SPOTS.
i have red dots on the palms of my hands. and i fing that my hands are dryer than usual and they tend to itch if i rub them vigorously...what is going on? please help!!! my email is ***@****    thanks
I also have these, I have them on my upper chest (neck line), and on my hands.  They are ugly, I am unable to wear anything with an open neck as I am very consious of them, and I seem to be getting more and more on my hands.    I did start some treatment for the ones on my upper chest, and some of them have disappeared, I am now trying Derkma K cream.  Does anyone know how to stop then apprearing?
I too recently developed red spots on my chest and legs.  And mine appeared after I began taking pancreatic enzymes for digestion problems.  I have two pencil eraser size moles on my chest that are also cherry red, but these I have had most of my life.  Like everyone else posting here, I am praying that mine is something other than cancer.      

I too have hundreds of tiny red blood (sometimes purple)spots that blanch when you rub over them with your finger nail. They started about seven years ago on my inner arms and have progressed over my stomach and legs.  I have had many doctors perform blood tests and the tests always come back normal.  The doctors call them Petechie and offer no more info. or further tests.  Although I'm in good health I recently started to experience a burning sensation on my tongue.  Because I drink plenty of fluids daily I would rule dehydration out.  Anyway, that's my situation.
In the last couple months, especially in sunshine, i have noticed 20 or so of these things. To say the least I am very freaked out. I have been searching and searching for answers, and nothing seems to fit.. From what i can tell here, these little red spots are non-fatal, and dont seem to be a tall-tale sign of any disease. I too went and seriously freaked myself out over all this.. I read about HIV, and cancer, and everything else nasty..

I do hope however, that they are able to pin these things to something a little more substantial than 'getting older'.

I am only 25 years old, and i have no desire to get much older, with these little sick looking blanchable red spots on my arms and chest, hitching a ride into nothingness.

Zoom
m/25
Hey Zoom,

It seems we are in the same boat. I am 25 years old and have about 15-20 of what looks like cherry angiomas on my trunk. I also got freaked out by my reading on the Internet in regards to this condition.

How large are your spots? Mine range 1-3 mm. Let me know. Thanks.
Hey Zoom,

A related discussion, Skin problem was started.
A related discussion, Red Dots was started.
A related discussion, I have small red dots was started.
A related discussion, Red pin size dots appearing all over body was started.
A related discussion, tiny red dots was started.
A related discussion, rep spots was started.
A related discussion, tiny red spot on my nose was started.
A related discussion, dermontology was started.
A related discussion, little red bumps on my stomache was started.
A related discussion, Red spot was started.
A related discussion, I MAY HAVE THE ANSWER was started.