Diabetes - Type 2 Community
ALS OR DIABETES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

ALS OR DIABETES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

Hello.

My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with ALS.  Of course we all do not want this to be true, but I am truly skeptical.  He is now 50 as of this year.  Here is a little history that may have some affect:
In the 1970's he was hit over the head with a steel pipe & had brain surgery.
Shortly after that he developed a large fat deposit at the base of his neck on his back.  Doctors have always dismissed this as a "fatty tumor" or other things.  I have recently done some research & realized this is what they call "Lipodystrophy."  This can be a symptom of several other conditions.  Recently he has acquired some new fat deposits in his neck area & around the collar bone.  

Also, about 2 years ago he suffered a heart attack.  Shortly after the heart attack is when he started noticing his legs not working quite right.  He eventually started dragging his feet somewhat & now walks with a cain & has alot of trouble.  It has gotten much worse over time, but recently they did diagnose him with ALS with ONE test.  I believe that they may have just "thrown" out this diagnosis b/c he does not have health insurance.

Also, around the same time the symptoms showed up he quit smoking (b/c of heart attack) & he drinks alcohol on a regular basis.

Before the ALS diagnosis they said they found atrophy in his brain in the area where the surgery in the 70's occured.  Also, he is in alot of pain & has a heightened sensitivity in his feet & has swelling in his legs & feet.  He has also put on a good bit of weight.

Any clue of what else we could have him tested for?
We just did a test for cortisol levels for Cushings.  I suggested a diabetes test.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bethany
Turn the problems around and this will gradually get rid of the symptoms and you will not need to do endless tests.Follow the techniques seriously and continue once a day forever after you are better.Come back to report progress(even after few months), so others may benefit.
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.  
I know what ASL it is form of muscle dease and I have a form of MD it is were the muscle weast away and leaves people in wheel chairs I can help you more if u want I can give you a site that tell you more about ASL and what it is so If u  you want to know
the site you can email me on here and I will get back to you and we can talk