Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Controlling out of control sugar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Controlling out of control sugar

Hi all, Thanks for reading my question. My mom is 54 years old. Since 1995 she is battling with breast cancer, and in 2002 she had a cauda equina syndrome and she has limited mobility, therefore exercise is not an option. Her recent tests showed that her sugar is very high (277). Immediately she prescribed Metformin and Januvia. Her body did not react well on Metformin and we switched to Glupizide 5mg once a day in the morning. She continues to have out of control sugar. Like for example yesterday in the morning it was 320, and after a pill it went down to 260. A week ago when her sugar was out of control, I took her to ER where she was put on IV and was given some insulin. Her condition improved immediately, but deteriorated again 5 hours later.
Her recent MRI showed mets in her brain and that causes the sugar to go up. Radiologist said that if they will be able to shrink the tumor her sugar level will be more normalized.

She is not having much pain because of cancer, she is mostly complains about high sugar symptoms like fatigue, dry mouth, nausea and vomiting.

Can someone recommend me how to control sugar in this situation. Obviously Glupized or Metformin not doing a good job.

What are prons and cons switching into insulin

What other supplements can lower sugar.

What should we do, when a sugar is going up and she already took her daily medication

My other question is about glucose meter. For some reason every time I check the sugar level it shows me different results, and it varies from f.e 310 to 280 to 260. So I decided to take measure each time 3 times and then use average, am I doing something wrong?
I can't speak to the other factors involved in your mother's situation, but only to the high blood glucose. And the fact of that is that she needs to get it controlled. I'm not sure why her doctors are letting her go on with blood sugar that high and out of control. Perhaps because they feel the tumor is the problem and they are treating that? Perhaps she should see an endocrinologist. Yes, insulin would help her blood sugar and sounds like an option since the oral meds are not touching it. As for the different results on the meter, meters do have a 20% variation. I would suggest forgetting the three tests and just take it as its reading indicates.
These pranayam - breathing techniques will help to control the sugar and will relax mom. Do the kapalbhati three times a day if possible.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.