Diabetic Neuropathy
I have "diabetic neuropathy"  it is one of the causes of bowel incontince. I have found out in the last few days that this is more than likely what is happening with me. Is there a chance it will go back to normal?

Thanks,
Rhian
You can start by controlling and managing your diabetes by not letting your neuropathy progress - eat and follow a strict diabetic diet, maintain proper body weight, perform 30 minutes of daily physical exercise, maintain proper cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure levels.
Hi WaveRider,

Yes I am very careful, I have to be because I am vegetarian so my protein intake is muted. I am 132pounds in weight, which for my size is more than healthy. Chol is 4 which is more than healthy and bp is 127/70 so that isn't a problem either.

But at the moment, being incontinent of bowel, any prolonged movement as in exercise causes a rush. Because the large bowel has been paralyzed by the autonomic neuropathy, it is the small, rapidly moving bowel that is causing the incontinence.

What I want to know is will this reverse or am I stuck with it? I had a great deal of surgery when I was young and in my 30's which involved the bowel, I know this can contribute so I was wondering if anyone could give me that information. I've also lost use of my feet recently and I know that is neuropathy because I've had that happen before. I was told that because I have had severe problems regulating BSL's that it is a result of that. They are much better now averaging 5.5. Doctor told me that some people are just this way and it can't be fully explained. I don't accept that.
Try posting on the Gastroenterology forums, you might get better responses there. If your glucose averages 5.5 mmol/l [99 mg/dl] it doesn't appear diabetes is an issue. Good luck
Thanks for that.  I have had the BI for a time and it began at a time when my bsl's were all over the place and not uncommonly 14 -15 and at times 23 or higher. That is why I wanted to know if this might be permanent.

I've been like this now for a couple of months and my bsl was brought under quick control with medication changes. I wanted to know if the nerve damage was permanent or if I would return to normal? I don't see neirologist for a couple of weeks and wanted some reassurance.

Thanks for your patience with me, I appreciate it. I will post in the GI forum though just to get some idea.

Cheers
You're welcome. One thing to note is a Japanese study I read on reversing diabetic neuropathy, that to reverse your neuropathy you have to focus on lowering postprandial [post meal] glucose levels. Lowering fasting blood sugars won't help if your body is experiencing hours of high blood sugars after every meal. The target is <7.83 mmol/l [141 mg/dl] 2-3 hours postprandial, optimum is <6.72 mmol/l [121 mg/dl]. So, yes, you do stand a good chance of reversing your condition back to normal.

You should also read up on ALA [Alpha Lipoic Acid] and R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. You might consider a PM to Gary718 on this forum as he is experiencing neuropathy and takes R-ALA.
i have to used frequently urination.
Thanks that sounds great! I was reading about ALA's yesterday and wwondering if they'd be a good option for me. I'll speak to the doc & get the ok (only reason I have to do that is the dreadful array of meds they have me on & I don't want a contra to stop it from working)

Hi Shome,

If I went to the loo anymore than I do I'd be camped outside the door. I go more often which is the increase, and yet output gets less. That is when bladder exercises come into their value. Those exercises push out anything that has been sitting in the bladder.

Thanks guys