Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Glucose Tolerance Test & Gestational Diabetes
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Glucose Tolerance Test & Gestational Diabetes

I am 30 weeks pregnant and took the 3 hour GTT last week.  I was told by my doctor's nurse that I "passed with flying colors", in addition to the nurse at the hospital where I took the test telling me I passed.  When I saw my OB this week, he said he wanted me to see a dietician and follow a gestational diabetes diet anyway.  His reasoning is that I was on "the high end of normal" for my fasting glucose.  Apparently, they want it at 95 or lower and mine was 98.  My levels at 1,2, and 3 hours were well within normal limits.  It was my understanding that you needed "abnormal" readings in 2 or more of the blood draws.  According to some people I have talked to (some in the medical field and some not) 98 is somewhat high, but still in a normal range of being below 100 and not enough to warrant monitoring my glucose or changing my diet.  I have battled extreme nausea & vomiting throughout my pregnancy and have lost 12 pounds.  I am also vegetarian.  Of course I want to keep my baby safe, but am skeptical of why I need to go on a diet (a diet that some of my friends are on and doing terribly on because of all the restrictions)  where I can't eat many of the things I depend on as a vegetarian, when only one of my #'s was slightly elevated.  Doc said he understood, but just wanted to give me the option of going to the dietician.  I declined, with an agreement that if I start spilling glucose in my urine, I would go.  I also ordered my own meter, to check my fasting levels for the next week or so, with the intention of reporting them to my OB if they are continuously on the high end.  Am I being unreasonable?  NO ONE agrees with my OB and no one understands how he considers me a diabetic when it doesn't match the way everyone else scores the test.  Thoughts??  Thank you so much!!
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
carlwclayton commented on Derealization and Dep...
Sep 26
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on dominosarah's status
Sep 25
649848_tn?1357751184
Blank
Barb135 commented on Official Announcement...
Sep 22
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979