Diabetes Expert Forum
Blood sugar spike

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Blood sugar spike

Yesterday I was watching Dr Oz and he had a segment about resistance carbs.  Said to have noodles dante (slighly undercooked) good for the large intestine and will not give a big sugar spike.  Well I did have spaghetti noodles (plain) cooled off before I ate them.  I have an avacado, a Healthy Choice fudgesicle and some peanuts.  Took my blood sugar this morning and it 141 fasting!  Usually about 115 otherwise.  Do you think I overate?  My blood sugar was at 105 at 2:00 PM before eating. Julie
Yes you eat too many carbs

the real test is 1 hour after eating  check your BG then.  You never want your BG over 140

my experience is a carb is a carb.
I wish there was a way to edit posts

Dr Oz is a TV show  for entertainment.
he is only slightly less bad than Biggest Looser (boy that's bad English)
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

There is so much conflicting dietary information out there, it can become confusing. It is possible that the segment you were watching was not specifically for diabetics. The length of time you cook pasta wil not change its sugar content.

Good luck
Cathy
Yes, your right.  My blood sugar just spiked because I ate too much.  It is very depressing for me since I am at 102 pounds and have no room to lose any more weight.  Thanks for your help Cathy.

Sincerely,
Julie
While all carbs are created equal, everyone's body will respond differently to carbs. For my brother he can not touch white rice because it will send his sugar soaring, but I can eat it in small quantities and I will be fine. Also, I never heard of al dante noodles being any different than softer noodles, that's kind of weird. I imagine that it might be better for digestion because the noodles will be harder when they go through the intestines and will scrape the sides, like raw fruits and veggies do, and that helps to clean out the colon. Also, you might want to think about how much of the pasta that you ate. By the way, I always get high morning/fasting readings (in the 140-150s). I could eat nothing the night before and still get a high reading. They can't figure it out. My sugars are good and well controlled the rest of the day though. Good luck my friend.

Theresa