Diabetes Expert Forum
Itching in diabetics and how to treat

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Itching in diabetics and how to treat
We have a pt. who is an elderly diabetic that is inflicting major damage to his body,mainly his buttocks and groin area,due to scratching due to complaining of itching. His nails are short and kept trimmed. He is on Coreg,Lantus,vit c,multivits and zinc. As well as synthroid and sinemet. We would love to help alleviate this itching sensation and protect his skin. any suggestions.
HI,
I think the first question is, why doe she have this severe a case of itching? Is this a medication or other allergic reaction? A liver problem? A skin infection? Does he have a rash?

I hate to offer a suggestion about medication without having seen the skin of this patient because it may make quite a difference in the recommendation. There are topical agents you can buy over the counter that may help alleviate this, such as calamine lotion or topical benadryl. But he may need topical steroids or prescription strength medications instead if these fail. While trying some of the soothing agents, I suggest having this patient evaluated by a dermatologist as soon as possible as well.

i think the first task is to get the patient's blood sugar levels in control and giving him an anti-inflammatory ointment or lotion. a good skin specialist (dermatologist) will be able to tell whether its bacterial or some other kind of infection and alleviate the pain.

however, the BG levels of the patient will need to be in check to control the skin ailment.