Diabetes Expert Forum
Pre diabetes?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Pre diabetes?

My wife was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and for some reason I got it into my head to try to test my own. Both of my parents are diabetic and I am overweight.

I tested once, rather stupidly just before finishing a meal and the result was 168.
I tested the next morning, about 8 hours after my last meal and got 111.
I tested that day when I came home from work, about an hour after my last snack and got 90.
I tested this morning, after going to the gym last night but then staying up late and snacking, so it was about 5 hours after I went to sleep and it was 120.

The last number is the one that sort of scared me. I am sort of health consious about it, but I don't always make the best choices. I plan to do so immediately, but what category does this put me in. I read in other places that this makes me pre-diabetic, and my doctor has been saying that just my history makes me pre-diabetic.

Please tell me what you think and what the next step should be.

Thank you.
Two values above, although the testing situations are not ideal would suggest prediabetes: the level of 168 after eating your meal, and the fasting 8 hours later of 111. The 120 in the middle of the night may also fit that category.

Based on those results, and your being overweight, plus your family history, I do think you have a higher risk of diabetes in the future. So the best approach right now is to start lifestyle changes: try to get exercise everyday, atleast 30 minutes/day for 5 days a week, and try to lose some weight(both through exercise and most importantly dietary changes). A nutritionist can be great in helping figure out a diet plan that cuts calories but still remains balanced and healthy, or you can try programs like Weight watchers.
Good luck, congratulations to you and your wife on your new little one, and take care of yourself.
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSISED AS A PRE DIABETIC WITH A FAMILY HISTORY. i HAVE ALTERED MY DIET TAKING ACTOS 15MG DAILY.
MY PROBLEM IS THIS.  EVER SINCE I STARTED TAKING THE ACTOS MY WEIGHT HAD SPIRALED UP WARDS IN EXCESS OF 20LB IN 3 MONTHS.  I GO TO THE GYM 4-6 DAYS A WEEK WITH CARDIO AND WEIGHTS FOR APT 1 1/2 HOURS. I APPEAR TO BE LOSING INCHES HOWEVER APEAR TO BE FIRMING UP BUT THE WEIGHT GAIN IS VERY DISAPPOINTING.  I ALSO HAVE SLEEP APNEA AND IT IS APPARENTLY WORSE BY THIS SITUATION. PLEASE ADVISE.