DIGESTIVE DISORDERS / GASTROENTEROLOGY
FORUM
Alkaline Phosphate Blood Test
by Beth, Dec 27, 1999
I have had an increased alkaline phosphate count for the last two years.  I'm looking for an answer as to what may be causing it.  I'm 30 years old and my count is 167 with a Liver SGOT result of 16. Recently I tested positive for Rhumeatoid Arthritis (nodules only,wonder if it could be related to growth of the nodules.) I have also been Diabetic for the last 6 years - gestational induced and on the pump 8 months. I know I have a "fatty liver" as well. Any thoughts/opinions you may have on what may be causing it will be appreciated.   Also, is this something that should be causing me a high level of concern?
Answer:
by HFHSm.D.-Gastro-rf, Jan 01, 2000
Dear Beth,
the elevated alkaline phosphatase can indicate either a liver or a bone problem.  In liver conditions, one usually sees a concurrent elevation of the GGT.  Ask your doctor to order the GGT as thie value will direct subsequent testing.

If your problem is in the liver, there are several possible explanations.  Fatty liver, associated with diabetes mellitus, can cause asymptomatic elevation of the liver tests.  Obstruction of the bile ducts must also be considered.  The best first step is an ultrasound of liver, gall bladder, bile ducts and pancreas.  This test will often provide information regarding diagnosis
Member Comments (4)
by Julia, Jan 17, 2000
I  would like to know what is "Mangioma" and frakoi finding is not homogenic {in the liver from the right}?
please answer me ***@****
by Sherri, Jan 31, 2000
I was recently diagnosed with PBC, Stage II.
I would like to know what each stages symptoms are and how many years most PBCers live before a liver transplant is to be considered.
by TBanks, Feb 02, 2000
In reference to red blood cell sizes what conditions does an elevated MCV and MCH indicate.  What do the abbreviations MCH and MCV mean?  What numbers indicated an elevation?
by Ava firstborne@aol.com, Feb 03, 2000
Hello;

I have elevated alkaline phosphatase levels also. I
have had a follow up blood test, and it showed that it
is bone related. What would/could this indicate?

Thank You;
Ava
by solange, Feb 23, 2000
The Doctor at the Hospital tells me I have a high Alkaline Phos and SST (SGOT) Also am very Anemic. What can cuse this problem?
by ANGELENA PERKINS, Mar 09, 2000
I ALSO HAVE ELEVATED AKALINE PHOSPHATE DURING BLOOD EXAMINATION
METABOLIC PANEL,HAVE ACHES AND PAIN IN BONES, AND JOINTS.
by Suzanne Prak, Mar 13, 2000
Over the past few months my 12 year old daughter has had several episodes of severe abdominal pain and vomiting.  The pain is mid, upper abdominal.  She associates the episodes with eating fatty foods.  She had an abdominal ultrasound done that appears to be negaive (per office staff, will meet with Dr in two days).  I'm concerned though because her alkaline phosphatase level is high (185), also GGT and platelet count are high---I just glanced at the labwork so don't have everything---the alk phos and GGT were the most noteworthy elevations.  Any ideas??
by debbie, Apr 30, 2000
My alk phosphatase level is a very high 266, my SGOT is 38 which is also elevated.  I'm anemic.  I've had gastric bypass.  Could this be the reason my ALK level is really up there?