Dogs Community
4th stage kidney disease?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

4th stage kidney disease?

Hello everyone, My 9 year old Yorkie Memae was diagnosed with kidney disease 3 years ago this month.  She has been on special RX diet since.  At that time the Dr. told me she could live for another 6 months to 2 1/2 yrs.  This past week she stopped eating her rx dog food, drinks water and urinates normally but is very sleepy/lathargic but still loves walks and meeting her dog friends.  My questions are many but could someone tell me when we speak of suffering what exactly how are they suffering....she sleeps so much, will only eat tiny amounts of found off my finger but I'm not sure what to be looking for as far as her being in pain...she is depressed and tired except when we go for our walks...she is then almost her happy excited self....Please advise me if you know what I should be looking for.  She has vomited only twice since this turned for the worse 6 days ago.  Thank you all so much! Marilyn A. Roche  ***@****
Tags: Kidney disease, stage kidney disease
That is very good that she made it already to 3 years since being diagnosed. My dog was fairly recently diagnosed with very early stage kidney insufficiency, so although I have learned a lot recently, there is so much I do not know.
However, there are medications that will help her....Has she been prescribed ACE inhibitors? I don't know the level of help they will give at late stage KF, but you could efinitely ask your vet about this. ACE inhibitors increase blood flow to the kidneys.
Then there are anti-nausea drugs.
If she won't eat her prescription diet, is there a canned option? Sometimes they will eat canned when they won't eat dry.

It does sound as though she still has a lot going for her, and is still enjoying life.
I'd say speak to your vet about any possible options for treatment
Hello Marilyn & welcome.....I'm sorry you found us under these circumstances.....However, I'm glad your here...

Sounds like you've done a wonderful job with your little one......There's another (lengthy) thread about Kidney Disease on this forum.....It is titled: "4th Stage Renal Failure in My Dog".....

It is worth the read, but I must warn you that some of it is heartbreaking.....There is valuable knowledge in the thread.......

You will be able to find it on the first page of this forum...I will bump it up for you so it will be easier to find.....

Hang around here as we have wonderful volunteers that know a lot about what your dealing with........Karla
Hello...
I'm So sorry to hear about Maeme...
Is she taking any medications for nausea..?
When was the last time she saw the vet..? Has the vet told you that she is in stage 4..?
I see that Karla has sent you to look at another thread...(so I will check for you there also.)

With TwoBits, I can tell you that I did not get a chance to try all the diets, and meds, so I am really of no help with any of that.
What I can say is that she was in stage 3 kidney failure...Her numbers were not horribly high, however, she had many symptoms.
She slept most of the summer, urinated  more often,had an occasional accident...just things I attributed to old age.
I knew something was wrong, the day she wouldn't eat. For 15 years, she had never, ever, not eaten.  I brought her to the vet, I thought perhaps she had a urinary infection, but instead, was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney failure.
If you have gone to the other thread and read the posts, you will see what others have experienced with stage 4 Kidney Disease in their dogs.
I can tell you, if the kidneys have stopped working, it will just be a matter of time before your dog becomes uremic. The body becomes poisoned by its own waste.  Your dog will start to vomit more often, and as the acid starts to build up, ulcers will form in the gastrointestinal tract and in his mouth. Of Course, they won't eat, because they are feeling sick, other symptoms may also appear...depression, incoordination, seizures,sleeping more often,confusion, rapid weight lose, shivering or trembling.
I have read that this disease is not painful....That is what I have read many times...If it is not painful, it must, at the very least, make your dog very very miserable.
This disease can be a rollercoaster ride, of good days, and bad days.
If your dog has lived with this disease for 3 years...you have done a great job with her care...She is in good hands.
I am hoping she will have more "good days" ahead.
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers...
Connie
Thank you so much for your help and advice..She has been on Hill's K/D wet canned dog food which can only be bought thru the vet....and now she turns away from it completely.  I will check with the vet regarding the meds you recommended and anti nausea .... she has only vomited 3 times since this all began last week...she does so well outside...her happy tail wagging self greeting neighbors, kids and all her pet friends..has gotten very thin and only drinks water ... mostly licks it off my fingers!!!  I have become a chef this week trying everything recommended...still have to get sweet potatoe tho....still hoping for a miracle but trying to be strong and prepared for what may be coming...she is only 9 yrs. old.  Thanks so very much for your kindness, Marilyn and Memae
How wonderful to hear from you and others.  I so appreciate your kind encouraging words.  I would like to think I have done well by my baby these past years...The vet told me 3 yrs. ago she could live 6 mos. or up to 2 1/2 yrs....so i feel blessed with made it 3 yrs so far.
She does so well outdoors....wagging her tail meeting the neighbors, kids and her pet pals....but still no appetite and goes straight to bed.  Yet she is not moaning or whimpering at all while sleeping ....  she has vomited 3 times since this started a week ago .... and she gets so ashamed when she has an accident.  She is the sweetest, happiest, and smallest yorkie I have ever had....I've had 3 in over 30 yrs....I am trying to stay stong...the season and Christmas music are making it all the more difficult. Again thanks so much for your kindness and understanding!!  Fondly, Marilyn and Memae
Another thing....Do speak to your vet about prescribing "phosphate binders" Either calcium-based ones, or Aluminum based ones. I also believe there is a new Phosphate binder whch contains neither Calcium nor Aluminum, but I don't know what it is called. Your vet may know.
Phosphorus is contained in many foods, and builds up in the blood when there is kidney disease. This can also cause exacerbation of symptoms in Kidney Failure, such as nausea. Phosphate-binders allow the phosphorus to be excreted via stools, not the kidneys.
I cannot express how grateful I am to hear back from you and others.  People can be so wonderful and it warms my heart yet find it also brings tears for such kindness at a time it is so needed.  I am about to try and find the other "thread" you have spoken of...I am not familiar but will hunt till I find it.  Memae is sound asleep on "mommy's" pillow...she was shivering a bit today while we were outside...but she was almost her complete happy self enjoying friends....it breaks my heart but as long as she is happy I am okay.  Please know how much it means to me to hear back from you and others who completely understand what this is like to go through....this time of year is only making it more emotional...I'll try harder to keep it together for Memae and my neices and sister who gave me my first yorkie many many years ago.  With great appreciation ... you have been a blessing, Marilyn and Memae  p.s. hope to chat again but if not wishing you a wonderful holiday season!!!
Go to the top of the page and search for...

4th stage renal failure in my dog

the lady that posted it was aggieone and her dogs name was Sandy Grace  
the post has over 200 comments, and it is in the Dogs Community.
The phosphate binder is called epakitin, made by Vetoquinol...supposed to be quire palatable...
I understand there could be some lumbar pain (either side of the spine, between the the top of the end of ribcage and hips) where the kidneys are located...I know Cookie used to regularly come and ask for a massage in that area- massages and hot/cold therapy help.

The greater discomfort is caused by GI irritation- hyperacidity, melena or ulceration- there is a lot of information in this thread and the others as to how to handle that.
If your Maeme has anemia, I personally think that there is also a very strong possibility that she would have headaches. Severe anemia can cause headaches in humans and the basic biology is similar causing dizziness, general fatigue and lethargy etc...You may not be able to help much, but keeping her comfortable and rested is probably what you can do...
I was able to fight most of this for Cookie and towards the end, she was cheerful and comfortable, with minimal vomitting. The anemia could not be helped and that got her...
All the best,
Shoba
I have owned a Yorkie before Jack. I was always outside dogs, like Samoyed and Chow Chows. Jack amazed me, because he was
fearless. He charge into the breach...the smallest in dog, but not
in his heart and bravery. I will miss him forever. Other dogs and
cats may be in my life, but no dog was quite like Jack, because
he had all the cards stacked against him, but you would never know
he, cause he gave life it's all until the end. I can still see him marching
out the door the night before he died....tears roll down my face thinking
how much I miss him. He was such a wonderful dog and my friend. I
can understand you holding on each day you have with memae. Cherish
the short time we have on earth with our pets, family, and friends. Life
is so short and there seems to be so much pain. Jack was my joy, so
little in your daily life. I hope someday I will have a good dog again, but
there has just been a very few and Jack was the best. He lived only
4 plus years, but made the bigest impact in my life. I understand what you
are going through to well Marilyn.
Put our beloved Bearded Collie to rest yesterday. Only 5 yrs 9 months old. He was born with misphapen kidneys. This kidney disease, what a horrible thing to endure.   We were lucky in that it was discovered accidently when he was 1 1/2  years old. We religiously followed the normal CRF protocol which may have bought him a couple of years.  Wish I had discovered this site sooner, it would have helped so much.
Just a note that might help someone else.  When they stop caring about eating you could try Evangers dog food 100% Rabbit.  He gobbled that up for days.  Also Dr. Harveys Miracle food, grains and veggies where you add your own protein.  I truly wish I had known about that food years ago, he loved it and it's healthy, and you can control the protein.  Anyway, my heart is breaking, and my head hurts from crying so just want to wish the best for all of your pets.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss...
Do not doubt that you did not do enough for your dog. You did an amazing job with him. For him to live 4 years after being diagnosed with kidney disease, is a testament to the great care he was given.
He was a lucky dog to live his life in the company of someone who loves him.
Many of us here understand how much your dog meant to you...we know he was family.
Please accept my heartfelt smypathy....
God Bless his Beautiful Spirit and Soul...
Connie
Thank you for responding. I have never written on a forum but am in such need of hearing from people who understand.  My family is so distraught, even though we knew this was inevitable. He had such a beautiful spirit.I know we did the right thing euthanizing him, and we did it I think at the right time. So why do I feel so bad about it?  He never got to the point of throwing up or having bathroom problems. He was unsteady on his legs and oh so thin, it was sad.  He wanted to play, but just didn't have the strength.  He would get his tennis ball and just hold it in his mouth.
Wondering how many tears, one person can shed. My heart hurts so bad.
I too, am so sorry about your Collie.....I agree w/ Connie, you did a wonderful job for those years.....That's amazing!

About those tears: I said the same thing once...How many tears can a human shed? Every time I thought there could be no more, then it would start again.....Unfortunately, grief is the price we pay for "Love".

Your guy was sure lucky to have such a caring and devoted family......I wish all dogs could have wonderful owners......That's my Christmas wish!

I know your heart is hurting and it will take time to heal.....Try to remember the good times with your guy & not the end.....I'll be praying for you and your family.....My thoughts are with you.....Karla

P.S. My crew loves everything made by "Dr. Harvey's". Especially the Tripe treats...Those are their all time favorites!
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I know that I will one day smile again when I think of him instead of crying.  He was such a clown, we do have many fun, sweet memories of him.You are so right that grief is the price we pay for "Love" and it is certainly worth the price. I know we need to have some time ahead of us in order to look back.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Sandi  
Sandi...
I know only too well how you are feeling.  I had my dog TwoBits euthanized 3 months ago...she was in stage 3 kidney failure...she had many symptoms...but I still feel I had her euthanized to soon...I know she was sick, and I know that the worse was yet to come...But I, like you, still feel so bad about having her euthanized.  
We help our pets die peacefully because we love them, and we do not want them to suffer...so...when they are gone...we suffer for them.
You only wanted to do what was best for him, and you did.
A friend told me....
It does not matter to a dog how long his life is...it only matters to us.
What matters to a dog, is the quality of his life, while he is here.
It sounds like your dog was happy with his life. He was well taken care of, and is loved and missed by many.
He is a lucky dog to belong to people who are proud to call him family.

I know this Christmas will not be the same for you without him....the weeks and months ahead will be difficult.
But please know that you are not alone...There are several of us on this forum who have recently lost our beloved dogs...we are here for you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...
Connie
Wow. Three years since diagnosis is incredible. You have and are continuing to do a wonderful job. It is sometimes hard to tell whether a dog is suffering, particularly with kidney disease, as it tends to be good days and bad days. I think when the bad days all roll into one and there are fewer and fewer good days, you can tell it is reaching THAT time. Also, you know your own dog better than anyone else, and (ok this may sound strange, but it's also very true) your dog will tell you when she's had enough and is ready to go. Hopefully, that day is not here just yet, so just keep giving her all the love and cuddles you want to - and well done to you for getting this far. It's quite remarkable.
Connie,
Thank you for helping me get through this terrible time.  I know that you are still missing your TwoBits.  I don't think we ever stop missing them.  As my husband says, you just have to put them in a different place in your heart. Our Boy got the short end of the stick, living less than half of what he should have.  But he did pack in a lot of life when he was here. He was the happiest dog you could imagine.  I know the doctors were surprised he did as well as he did for so long.  We were hoping for that miracle. The one where he would defy the odds and live out a long life.  But we really knew he would not.  I have never experienced euthanasia before. Wasn't sure we had the right to do it, but it was at last, a peaceful death.  The evil disease would have taken him very soon and he would have suffered so much at the end.  Thanks for listening again.

Sandi
Sandi...
You said you were hoping for a miracle...
Your boy lived for 4 years after being diagnosed.  That honestly, is a miracle in itself.  Most dogs who are diagnosed with kidney disease only live 6 months to 2 years. Sadly those are the odds, so your boy did indeed defy them....In terms of kidney disease, he did live a long life..he was your miracle.

I know how you feel about whether or not we have the right to euthanize our pets....even though I have assisted 2 of my dogs with their death, I still question it.  Basically we have killed something we love, and it seems wrong.
But we chose to euthanize because we love them so very much, and we do not want them to suffer...We do it, because we are being Merciful.
It is a act of compassion.

Even though you say your boy got the short end of the stick, You and your family made sure it was the best end of the stick...!
It was because of the love you gave him, that he was able to be well cared for, happy, and content....for the entire time he was here.
I can tell you, that no matter when they leave us, it is ALWAYS too soon.

Take Care...Connie
Connie,
Another hard day.  I picked up his ashes today.  The people were very understanding and sympathetic, but I felt so alone.  This was not my dog, where is he? Of course, it was my dog.The remains of a dog who was beautiful in body and soul, who is not going to suffer the indignity of wasting away by a wretched disease. But, I long for that bouncing crazy furry face to greet me just once more.

Back to work today, to face both those who understand and those who don't. Luckily most do care and understand, but I felt they were thinking, ok, time to move on, but I am not ready. I must say, I only cried a couple of times today and found it much easier to talk about him.  It's a little better.
Connie, you have a special gift. A gift that comforts and words that lead to understanding and strength. Thank you so much.
Sandi..
I have a forum friend who also had the dreadful task of picking up his dogs ashes today.  
I have never had my dogs cremated, as I have always had a place to "plant" them. But my friend was telling me how "strange" it felt to him to pick up those ashes.  I know it must have been very difficult for you. But you did it, and it is now water under the bridge.
What will you do with the ashes...?  
Some people like to keep a pinch of the ashes for themselves...you can go online and order a cremation necklace. It has a locket / vial that is on a necklace..bracelet...etc...you can put some of the ashes in it, and keep it forever. I am sure your dog..( May I ask his name...? ) wouldn't mind.

You talked about having to go back to work, and feeling like others think you should move on....Better know as "Let Go"...
Sandi...people who feel you should let go and move on, don't understand what it is like to truly love and be loved...you will be wasting your time, if you are looking for comfort or understanding from those people. Pay no attention to what they are saying...Forgive them....they do not understand because they have never been there. I feel sorry for those people....
Well, a few minutes ago, I responded to a friends journal entry...It concerned Letting Go...The mans name is Mark, and his dogs name is Jack... here is what I wrote to him, on how I feel about " Letting Go"....

Mark...
I hate the phrase...."Let Go" .. It sounds as though we are suppose to just forget about our loved ones, and just keep moving forward without them as though they meant nothing in our lives.   I don't know who came up with that phrase, but I refuse to even consider to "Let Go" of any of my dogs who have died. "Let Go"...Really...?  Get out of here..!
I say don't Let go, but instead....    
Hold on...!  Hold on to the memories...Hold on to talking to them...Hold on to the feeling of their presence.
Hold on to what remains...because this is how we continue to love them.  This is how we continue to connect and keep them near and dear to us. As long as we keep their spirit alive, they will be here for us when we need them.
No Mark...never "Let Go"  
To Let Go now, would be like losing Jack all over again....and once in a lifetime is quite enough.
Sandi...Hold on to what you have left of your dog....cherish him forever, and never let him go...and when others tell you to "Let Go" or "Move On" pay them no mind..do not let them rob you of what you have left.
Your "bouncing crazy furry faced" dog is still here to greet you,and kiss your face, but you will no longer feel him on the outside. Now you will feel him on the inside...he has found a home in your heart, and that is where he should stay. Don't let anybody take that away from you.

Connie

Connie,
Our boys name is Boston, usually called Bostie.  No, I will never let go but think I am moving forward with him tucked securely in my heart.  I only cried a couple of times yesterday, both times when  someone hugged me. Kindness seems to set me off. My husband was the one who wanted him cremated, he has the urn on his night stand, where he says goodnight and good morning to him, and touches it before he leaves for work.  That is his comfort.  I prefer the memories now.  I did get a lock of his hair,that I will always have.
I love this time of year, but as much as I can celebrate having had Boston, I just don't feel joyful. With your help, I do feel better.
I know how you feel about the kindness....its the same way with me.
When I am feeling depressed about TwoBits, and someone hugs me, I just want to break down. I wish I could just cry in their arms for as long as I need too, but of course, I quickly pull myself together, and get on with the day.

I have thought about getting my dogs cremated, so I could keep the ashes in the house by me. I know many people who say that it does comfort them to have the ashes of their loved one close.  My Mother felt very comforted to have my Dads ashes in the house. She felt closer to him.
My Dad died in the winter. We had a memorial service for him in the Spring, and buried his ashes. It was a very hard thing for my Mom to bury those ashes...She still wishes she wouldn't have. They gave her great comfort.
I think that it is nice that your husband wants to keep Boston close.
I have a Photo of TwoBits next to my bed...I still say Good Morning and Good Night...and Talk to her throughout the day...I rub her ears and give her a kiss... I miss her and love her so much, the photo seems to help me, it makes me feel closer  , but it also reminds me of her death, and what I lost, more than it reminds me of all the wonderful years we had. Photos seem to be such painful reminders for me...yet I wouldn't want to be without any.  
Yes, Christmas will be difficult. And while I am still thankful, It is hard to celebrate anything when you are not feeling joyful.
It is hard to celebrate life, when you are still grieving a death....but, we just need to do the best we can.
If we can't be happy, at least we can still try to be helpful...while we are struggling to overcome our grief, there are animals and people who are struggling with their life. Any small act of kindness that we can offer, can make a difference for them...even if that difference is only for a day.  
After all,
Just think of how the small act of a hug, even though it makes us want to cry, also makes us feel a little better.

Sandi....I will be thinking of you and your husband, I understand the sorrow that you are feeling. Overcoming the grief will take some time, and the best we can hope for is to just get through the day.
Yes, it may be 2 steps forward, and 1 step back...but at least we are headed in the right direction...!

Hugs to Both of you...and your Angel dog Bostie...
Connie

amen
Yes, Amen...and Thank-you ginajean.
I just lost my dog Zorro, age 14 yrs., 7 months, to kidney disease.  He was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago and I was sent home with subcutaneous IV to give every 3 days.  Things went well until the end of week 2.  He started vomiting Sunday morning.  Seemed okay early afternoon.  I went out for 3 hours.  When I returned, he had vomited again.  I took him outside and he would not urinate, would not drink water.  I laid him in my room and gave him water through a dropper which he took.  He was cold so I put blankets on him.  He then started panting with his tongue out.  I was getting ready to rush him to the hospital when he took his last breath and died.  I feel guilty that I didn't rush him to the hospital when he first started throwing up.  I am upset that the vet told me he had moderate kidney disease and had probably 2 years to live.  I am so sad without him as he was my loyal companion for so many years.  But perhaps things happen for a reason.  I did not want him to suffer, have anything less than a quality life.  Having lost 3 dogs in the past, two that wound up in the hospital ICU for days, only to be euthanized, is very difficult to also live with.  What to do for a senior pet that is sick is one of the hardest decision to make.  Please pray for Zorro that he is at peace now and that he is in dog heaven where he has regained his health, his ability to run and play as he also had arthritis, and be normal again.
I am so sorry to hear about Zorro.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
Please don't feel guilty about not rushing him to the vet's office. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done, as Zorro was obviously near his end. It does not sound as though he suffered, and he was able to die in the safety and comfort of his own home, in the arms of someone who loves him.
Zorro and You will both be in my prayers.
God bless Zorro's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...he is much Loved.
Connie

Today I have to lay by sweet Ernie to rest. I am beyond heartbroken and don't know how I will survive this. He has been a huge part of my life for over 14 years when I rescued him from the pound. I am overcome by severe sadness and guilt. He started becoming very picky about his food a few years ago so we started switching brands. After a while we had to switch to wet food. Then we had to keep switching brands in that. We has all sorts of tests done and the vets said his tests showed all was well. I eventually switched vets and the new vet said it sounded like kidney disease because when dogs feel sick after eating then they don't want to eat that food. However, the urine test wasn't conclusive. We started feeding him human food and were having to keep switching that up too. We stared him on some meds and they seemed to help a lot at first but then stopped working. He hasn't eaten for a week and is extremely weak. He already had what seemed to be arthritis so the lack of food is making it so hard for him to get up and down. He still insists on going outside to do his business though. He is such a good dog. I just wanted to write to someone who seemed kind and understanding and ask how I get over the guilt of all the times I was too busy or stressed from work to play with him the way he wanted. Everyone tells me I was very good to him and my husband would always say I showed the dog more attention than I showed him but I still feel like I should have done more. I am just sitting here beside him giving him love and trying to keep my mind out of the black hole it wants to go and saw your posts on this site. Thank you for letting me talk.
Hi Ernies Mom,
I am so saddened to read about Ernie.
It has been a year since I put my TwoBits to rest, I still grieve her loss more than words can express.  I know how difficult this decision is for you.
Only you can decide what is best for Ernie, you know him better than anyone.

I can tell you that when our dogs are gone, we all wish we would have been able to spend more time with them, play with them more, and give them more hugs and kisses than we did.  But, life just does not allow us to devote every spare moment to our dogs...( I sure wish it did )
We just have to do the best we can. Our dogs know we are just human, and they forgive us for it.
I am sure Ernie would not have traded the life you gave him for anything in the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ernie.
God Bless you both.
Connie
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is nice to hear from people that understand as there are so many out there that don't. Ernie was my one-in-a-million. I have two cats that I love but it isn't the same as my relationship with Ernie. I expect one day we will rescue another dog and I will love that dog too, but there will never be another Ernie. I miss him so much. Watching him pass away was the hardest thing I ever had to do and I wish I could stop replaying it in my mind but I don't regret being there and would have never forgave myself if I wasn't there with him. Thankfully we have a very kind vet that came to the house so Ernie could pass in his own home. Again, thanks for being there for a stranger in need. God Bless you too.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. I do know how much you miss him.
You are right when you say that there will never be another Ernie. It is truly amazing how each pet has it's own unique personality. There are so many people in this world who simply cannot see that. It is so wonderful that you do. Ernie was as much an individual as you or I. You were both so blessed to have each other in your life. No, there never will be another Ernie, and you were the lucky person he shared his life with. No one could have loved him more than you.
It was a blessing that he was able to live his life in the company of people who love him so much.

I know only too well how difficult it is to get past the last few days. Like you, I keep replaying the last few hours in my mind. As I mentioned before, it has been a year since TwoBits was put to rest, Sept. 12th to be exact. It has been so difficult for me. Yes, things do get easier, but it will take awhile. In the meantime, Please feel free to express yourself here.
I understand your loss.

God Bless Ernie's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...he is much loved.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Connie

My precious poodle, Wilson, like his namesake in Castawayhasgiven me a companion, joy, listener, friend, and sense of sanity. He same recover from cancer, poor relationship, loneliness, and eventually love and a fairy tale ending. His poor labs before dental cleaning caught me off guard and they worsened rapidly ever since, even with special diet. He won't hardly eat or drink now. So sad.

He seems content, yet tired. He shows us he is happy and seems to save his energy for an occasional play in the evening when we are all present for the joy.

Vet is a friend and says we have weeks at most.

I realize this is an old thread but it just felt right...

I'm so sad

Thanks for understanding and "listening"
wow, i  am in the exact same boat as you.  and it is comforting to know others love their family member just as much as i do.  Buddy was diagnosed a week ago and was immediately hospitalized for 4 days.  It was costly and now have to ask the cost of everything before we just say 'yes'. I dont regret any of it tho.  Buddy is only 3 yrs old.  He was rescued when he was 18 m old from someone that had him tied to a tree in their backyard all yr long in all weather conditions. He came to me scrawny, dirty, smelly and full of heartworms. I loved him from the moment i saw him. And took him to the vet immediately. the vet started a pulse heartworm treatment for him and he's been fine until about 2 weeks ago when he began being sluggish and tired. that's when i noticed he wasn't eating. He is my buddy. Buddy is my heart. yes i have children too but Buddy......I've had dogs all my life and none compare to him.  I know those who have found this site know exactly what i am talking about.  Buddy is one of my children.  my heart is breaking as each moment passes.  Our vet has discussed to my husband and I treatments from diet change to sub Q fluids to referral to cancer centers for pets as well as ... the end.  Buddy currently recieves antiobiotics 2x daily as well as sub Q fluids.  He is also on a special k/d prescription dog food. my husband thinks this is just a bump in the road for him and he will pull thru. well, tonight he vomited for the first time.  i cried my eyes out as i was cleaning it up.  i would love to know the cause of this, the reason.  The vet is still unsure if it was the heartworms, if it was something he ate, if he has a genitic disorder or what.  we know nothing.  after a week of trying to get him into the cancer center we finally get a call back. his appt is in another week.  i am at a loss for words.  Lord I need a miracle, please.
Sorry about your Buddy. Funny that my husband and toddler often call my Wilson buddy because that's what he is too. A little friend.

He is laying beside me now resting. It's just so hard to believe he is so sick. He has had no vomiting, just poor appetite and his elderly normal sleepiness mostly.

I cry too. A LOT!
It doesn't change things. My husband often crys too. Grateful for the compassion.

I hope your Buddy improves. Were his lab results poor? Did the IV help? I hope this is a bump in buddy's road and he gets better. I know Wilson won't.

We are to go on vacation in a few weeks. If he makes it that long, the vet said she will check his labs again and try to predict if he will make it til we return. If they are bad, we will have to let him go.

I guess I'll try to go back to sleep now as then I won't be so sad. I awoke having a dream about a child holding him and he was loving it.

Hugs to you.
Oh yeah, I asked vet yesterday about when, and if my Wilson gets nausea (as this is typical of late stage kidney disease) what to do. It's common to give Pepcid. My approx 10 lb can take 5 mg 2x day. I hope he doesn't suffer this symptom. Thought you might want to know. It might help the nausea. Possibly metabolized in kidneys tho (?unsure) so if your dog will get better without it it might be harder on his kidneys (?)   You should ask.
Hi , I just read your experience with your bearded collie, my beardie Harris would be two in June this year he has been diagnosed with kidney disease he has been on fluids for 3 days but his values have not come down. He had a scan and they said his kidneys were very small. I got him home yesterday he is not keen to eat, I shall try and get the food you recommended today he has the food for his kidneys but not interested. I am a member of the friendly beardie club online this has been a great help for me, perhaps you know of this site already.
kind regards June.
Monday my Koko my beagle 8 years old woke me up at 3am.  I open the door so he can go pee.  He just didn't want to come in.  I left him there for a little while and came back for him.  Little did I know we had so little time together.  He went into my room I help him lie on his fluffy pillow and started making him something to eat because he hardly ate in the weekend.  Mind you he had a very long long walk which was his highlight of the day for him with his brother Baieley. When I went to see him I saw that he couldn't walk his back legs wouldn't work.  He went in to the family room and started crying I try to feed him and give him water with a dropper.   I took him to the vet there he got worse his tongue was to the side he would look at me on the way to the vet but then in the vet office you could tell it in his eyes. The last moments with him as he put his head on my shoulders it was like saying good bye. I finally go in with the vet he tells me he is in shock they had said he had problems with his kidney is BUN was high this happen in matter of 3 weeks.  I never ever would of imagine loosing him I had to decide to put him to sleep as the Vet told me that he was suffering.  My quilt is so GREAT I just cry and cry and also because I miss him and his brother is getting depress also.  This  hurts so bad I am so so sad. going home I have two of everything for eight years it was like having twins.  This little fellow was the happiest playful beagle their was. In a way I was happy I took him for that long walk which he wanted, but i think did it trigger it.  I'm so confused but really feeling Guilty and sad. Will remember him.  I should of fed him anything he wanted if I had know this.  he went hungry.  Does this hurt go away? :(
I just lost my Bitsy. I decided not to take her to the vet when she started breathing heavily. She had been diagnosed with kidney failure about 2 years ago. I held her in my arms until about 5 minutes before she took her last few breaths. She knew she was about to die and got out of my arms and laid at the foot of my bed. This has been so very hard for me. She was the love of my life. I had her for 10 years plus and I can't stop crying. I don't know if the vet could do anything for her at this stage but I was not going to take her there so they could put her in a cage and let her die alone and scared. I will always wonder if I did the right thing.
Hi even my dog is suffering from kidney problem from last 1yr but now she has started vomiting a lot and eating very less and most of the time she is sleepy really scared now. Hope she is not in pain
She actually might be extremely uncomfortable so I encourage you to take your dog to the vet.

She may not act as miserable as she feels.

My dog was panting and had a glossy healthy coat when she was in stage 4 renal failure. She was not eating or drinking. It all happened fast in the last week of her life (I mean we always knew she had kidney disease and managed it well) but toward the end I was ashamed and embarrassed when the second opinion vet must have realized I needed a jolt as he came out and said, "Your dog feels like crap."

Ask yourself if your dog is even enjoying being a dog anymore before.
I adopted My little toy Pomeranian, TeddyBear about 4 or 5 years ago and at the time I adopted him I was told he had an enlarged heart and poor kidney function. He never ever acted lethargic or had any symptoms Except maybe that he always did need to drink more water than my other dogs. Other than the water though he really didn't have any other symptoms for the entire time 4 or 5 years I've had him until RECENTLY. A few weeks ago he started to get picky about what flavour of the raw diet we feed him he would eat. Over the past few weeks he has gotten so picky that he would only eat the raw beef but NOW suddenly he won't even eat THAT and 2 days ago he had 7 big seizures that lasted 2 minutes! He will eat people food NO PROBLEM, BY THE WAY. He hasn't had any more seizures in 3 days now and although he won't eat dog food he is VERY interested in our people food still so I seriously am confused because other than the sudden seizures that came and went and other than the super finicky appetite, there are no other new symptoms to indicate end stage CRF.  Is it possible that he is in end stage without any pain or vomiting or diarrhea or constipation etc??? He is very lethargic  but if I force KD into him by diluting it with water and using a syringe or if I let him eat people food, then he has energy again and acts normal and even barks and walks around. I don't know what is going on or what to do. We went out and bought every brand of raw dog food we could find and we bought 7 different brands and flavours of wet dog food including the KD AND MEDICAL. And he won't eat any of them HOWEVER he is extremely interested in our people food! He will eat lots of people food if we let him.
Any comments or ideas or advice?
Reply
well please keep letting him have people food! Let him have what ever he wants.  Love him and just spend quality time with him as much as possible.
I did let him have people food and he enjoyed a whole pepperoni very enthusiastically a day before he had some kind of seizure or attack and died into arms without any apparent suffering. I am very grateful he went so quickly compared to many
My heart is breaking as I read these posts. I have roughly 4 hours left with my precious girl Raven, and your post helped remind me of why we've mad the decision to end her suffering at 5 pm tonight. But it's still KILLING ME! This all happened so fast! I swear a month or so ago, she was fine! Chasing balls in the backyard, barking at random nothings, wanting her favorite treats. But she slowly stopped eating as much, and started losing weight. I took her to the vet when we realized the weight loss was not a minor issue, and her breath had started smelling really foul when she would lick herself - which was often. She has always been lean for a lab-mix and weighed 51-53 pounds, but when she got on the scale, she only weighed 36.8!!!  The vet suspected kidney disease and blood work confirmed it. BUN of 87, CREA of 5.0, Phosphorus of 13.8, and losing protein in the urine. The hardest part is that I know there is so much more we could TRY to do for her. But we don't have the money. And she won't eat. We immediately started her on SQ fluids every evening and started introducing k/d canned Rx food. The first 2 days, she ate almost double what she had been, which still only made it a little over a cup and a half. The 3rd day, she threw up OVER & OVER and hasn't wanted to touch ANY dog food or most of her usual favorites since. At that point we started anti-nausea and appetite stimulant pills.  She ate a few bites of sweet potato, then she wouldn't want it anymore. She ate a couple of small bites of carrots and asparagus, then she was done with that. I started doing research and chatted on FB with a childhood friend back home who is a vet, and learned about Epakitin and Azodyl. My vet knows NOTHING about them. I wish we had the money to change vets and try more options. I wish we had caught it earlier.  I wish I had more time with Raven. The fact is, she lays around curled up in a ball 90% of the time, only perking up and wagging her tail when someone comes to visit, or when we go to the park. But she won't even drink broth - only water a couple of times a day. I just don't know what to do!!!! My daughter just came over to see her and go with us to the appointment, and Raven perks up and acts like she's ALMOST normal. If we cancel the appointment, what if she starts getting worse and it's Thanksgiving? I don't want her to suffer!  She lies around trembling and sighing. I know she's not happy, but she's still in there. If only I knew that trying something would work. I just don't want to say goodbye to early. Hell, I don't want to say goodbye at all. I will miss her SO MUCH!  But even if she lasts another week, that won't change. Isn't it kinder to let her go to sleep peacefully before the suffering becomes unbearable? How do you deal with this mental anguish?!?!