4th stage renal failure in my dog
I have a nine year old lab  "Sandy Grace".  She is in fourth stage renal failure-Of course she has seen her regular vet for fluids-ultra sound revealed she has one kidney which is failing.   Creatine was 13-subs at home-now using hollistic and homepatic treatment.  Recently more bad days than good.    I am giving her ice chips which seem to work better for her than lapping.  Pedialyte ice is also better.  She throws up until she staggers and falls-I am continuously trying to hydrate her and giving her baby food-At times, she is able to keep it down,  other times the vomiting is horrible.  She continues to try for us, and we are fighting so hard for her-LIke others, I tuck her in at night (she sleeps on the loveseat with her "bankie" covering her).  I am sleeping in the den with her so I can give her support throughout the night.  Neither of us are getting much sleep.  I have her spoiled now with hand feeding other than her baby food, and I hold her plate while she licks it up.  I am using a recipe of egg yellow / whites, honey, and whole yogurt with a touch of dry powdered milk.  This works sometimes.  Sandy Grace is not ready to leave us-she continues to try-we try for her twenty-four hours a day.  Is there any over the counter medication that I can give her that will help with her vomiting?  We love her so much and she loves us so much-my husband and I feel like we will know when she is ready to go.  We went to grocery store yesterday to  buy more food supplies and liquids for her, when we got home, there she was looking out the window-barking for us to hurry and come inside-you open the door and there she is  - -so excited, still wagging her tail for us.  What can we do, this is our baby, she is so, so sweet-I know her days are numbered, but she is just not ready to leave. Help.    Aggieone
Your story breaks my heart as I lost my 14-year-old dog, Chica, to this exact disease on January 4.  The vomiting is so awful to watch in the end as it just goes on and on and on...  

There are many anti emetic meds to try.  Has your vet not prescribed anything?  Reglan (metoclopromadine) is a very cheap medication, unfortunately, it is also metabolized in the kidneys, so a too high dose results in toxic levels in the blood.  My husband and I discovered that completely bypassing the GI tract by using reglan injections worked much better in the end.  Chica didn't get the extra pyramidal side effects (extreme restlessness, shaking and trembling) from the reglan injections that she got from the oral meds.  Our vet drew up a dozen or so prefilled syringes, and we administered them just under the skin at the back of the neck.  If you're already doing sub-q fluids, this won't be any different.

I take phenergan myself for constant nausea, and discovered late in the game that dogs can also take phenergan.  It didn't work quite as well as the reglan, but at that point we tried anything we could get our hands on.  Over the counter Dramamine for motion sickness can be tried as it is metabolized in the liver - got that info from an ER vet nearby.  Benadryl is also something of an anti-emetic, and can be given at 1 mg per pound of the dog's weight, but I doubt it will be very effective in the face of this kind of vomiting.  Worth a try though.

Another thing that helps is calcium - lots of it.  I was giving Chica 2 Tums a day during her last couple of months.  The calcium binds to phosphorus which is deadly to those in renal failure.  As you already know, nothing can cure this disease, so all you can do is manage the symptoms as best you can.

If you can stand it, check out the several journal articles I wrote on my profile here at Med Help regarding Chica and our "adventure" with end-stage renal failure.  You and your husband are doing the same things we did, and your Sandy Grace sounds like the exact same temperament as our Chica.  She never did give it up either, which made it so much more difficult to make the decision.  It's all in my journal though.  I just can't bring myself to rewrite the story.  :-(
Just checking in to see how things are going.  I hope you've had some kind of "sign" to help you with your decision.  :-(
Thank you so much for your caring and informative response.  The TUMS help!   My vet and the specialist that we took Sandy Grace to wanted us to put her down since her numbers were so high.   But, we knew in our hearts that Cissy (we call her Cissy because she has an adopted brother "Charleston Hershey" who is also a lab that we got from rescue . . .his nickname is Bubber and Sandy Grace is Cissy) was not ready to leave us.  She is not in pain, but most uncomfortable with the throwing up.   She is doing better with this since I am giving her tums.  Cissy weighs around 95 pounds, so I am disolving four tums in water and administering by a syringe.  I know this is short lived, but she finally accepted some shredded chicken that I had cooked for her.  Her mom and dad are fighting so hard for her and I know we will have to make that decision very soon, but honestly she is not ready yet.  I read your journals and I cried for Chica, you and your husband.  Jerry (my husband) and I feel your pain as we are living it.  We have shared so many special times with Cissy and Bubber.  We love primitive camping, the beaches, and any outdoor activities that we could include our babies in.  We are having the hardest time letting go, but I pray that we will know when to stop.  She is drinking water, eating some of the chicken; so as long as she is willing, wagging her tail, able to go outside and enjoy, we will continue the fight.   My family and friends are supportive, but now they want us to let go.  How can I make that decision as long as she is fighting?     Well, it is time to give Cissy her Tums, thank you so much for your concern and we shall keep in touch.  aggieone
Bless your hearts.  Yes, I know exactly what you all are going through, and it's the worst thing I've ever been forced to deal with where one of my animals is concerned.  I'm so glad she's doing a bit better with the Tums.  Did your vet give you anything at all for the nausea?  If not, MAKE HIM!  I totally agree with your decision to wait a while longer, so do everything you can to keep her as comfortable as possible.

The way renal failure is supposed to work when it's Time, is that the toxins build up so high in the blood that they cross the blood-brain barrier.  When that happens, the dog loses its personality and really isn't "there".  Well, that's the textbook case.  It never really happened with Chica.  She just got slower and slower and finally stopped eating the last couple of days, but her personality was still intact. She still knew us and her pack mate, Maggie.

Please speak with your vet about having some sedation on hand before you take Cissy in.  If she's going to be like Chica, the last thing your baby will know is going to sleep with you and your husband by her side.  Had we not done that for Chica, she would have tried so hard to do her usual routine of sticking her nose out the window and barking at everyone along the way.  Neither one of us could have handled that.  Of course, hubby being the big fat baby that he is, I was the one who had to give Chica her last pills.  I'm choking up again just thinking about it, so I'll stop this line of thought...

We also arranged for private cremation and return, so ask about that ahead of time if you want to go that way.  Chica was the 2nd dog we've had cremated (my husband just can't deal with back yard burial) so I figure when it's my turn, they'll all just go in the box with me.  :-)
Cissy (Sandy Grace) is much worse from mid yesterday to present.  She is still drinking some, but not enough to count-has not urinated since early this morning.  Syringe feeding and medications is hopeless now as she will not swallow and work with me; everything just runs back out the side of her mouth I put it in, I bathe her each time and she loves that.  She is ready to go now and we must help her .  Like Chica, she still has her wonderful personality, but she is so weak. Sandy has always cleaned herself like a cat, always loved it  when you brag on how beautiful she is, she is having accidents now and she knows it, she is humilited when I have to wash her bottom.  I can't let this go on any longer.   Our vet is coming out tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. to help her go easily.  He will  slightly sedate her first.  She will be on her loveseat with her head resting in my lap as that is her favorite way to spend time with her mommy.  I know this will be more than I can stand, but I promised her faithly after her stay in the hospital that I would not put her back in my car unless it was for fun.  Cissy has always loved her daddy a little more than me, I was her next pick so I love it when husband is away at work and I am alone with my babies as they are all mine.    I have been her primary caregiver since December 23, so she has been my baby, and daddy the next in line.  If I am in another room she is looking for me.  She is not attempting to walk now as she is so weak, so I find myself laying down with her just to hold her.  We do that anyway, but now it is feeling her  breathing and cherishing her even more.  We will need your thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning,  I hope I am strong enough to do this for Sandy Grace.

I hardly know what to say.  :-(  You have done everything you can for Cissy, and I completely agree with your decision on timing.  Thank God your vet is coming to your home - not all of them can, or will, do that.  Do try to remember that first and foremost, you are ending suffering.  It's true that you are doing her a big favor by helping her ease gently from this horrible sickness.  She will never have to be sick or vomiting or soiled ever again.  You WILL have the strength to see this thing through as long as you remember that you're actually helping her.  I know you're in for a long, miserable night tonight, and all of you are in my prayers for peace.  Please check back in when you can.  
Thank you so much for your sincere and caring words.  Cissy just threw up and each time gets worse,   I can tell she is so sore from throwing up.  She is still accepting water and Pedialyte, but very little.  She has given up now.  I plan to hold her throughout the night to talk to her and tell her it is O.K. to go.  My family wanted to be here to support us tomorrow morning, but you know, Cissy would not want that, she is a daddy and mama's girl so it will just be the four of us:  daddy, mommy, Sandy and Charleston.  I know I am doing the right thing, but it is so hard
I am so sorry for all you are going through.  I know this is so hard.  I had to go through a really rough death with mine a few months ago.  He looked so scared until I held him then he just looked relieved and let go.  It will be so good for you and your husband to be there with her tomorrow.  

Reassure her and tell her how much you love her but let her know that you don't want her to hurt any more.   I had Buster's favorite toy which I put in his paws then petted his head and told him how much I love him and all of the good times we've had until he was gone.  You are strong enough to do this - Cissy is counting on that.

Hugs and prayers for you, your family, and Cissy tomorrow.  Angles will be waiting for her.
I am so very sorry to hear of what you are all going through.  How courageous of you and your husband to make this difficult decision to help Cissy over the Rainbow Bridge with all her loved ones beside her.  

It is so hard.  I am still tearing up to remember the beloved dogs we've said goodbye to in the past.  

I will say a prayer for Cissy and your family and keep you in my thoughts.  I hope that you and your family can heal together during this very difficult time.  

Many hugs and good thoughts.

-Peek-
I am so sorry your going through this. You and your husband gave her a great life and I know she knows that too. You have done everything you could do plus more. She knows and thats why she let you know when she was ready. Just be with her and everything will be okay. It's going to be hard at first but time will heal you and your family. My prayers are with you and your family during this hard time.
Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of and praying for you all this morning.  I know how awful the "countdown" is, and find myself glancing frequently at the clock today.  I hope Cissy had a fairly quiet night last night too - for her sake as well as yours and your husband's.  Prayers headed your way from west Houston.
I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now.  Remember, it is because of your deepest love for your Cissy that you are able to let her go.  Please know that you are doing the right thing for her, she will leave this world with dignity and will be waiting for you in the next.  I am sure that she is thankful for the choice that you have made.  I had to put my Tiffy down in December, and it was a very difficult time, somehow, though, we manage to make it through. God will be there with you making you strong and ready to take Cissy to a special place.  Remember, she will always be alive in your heart.  No one is ever truly gone when they have been truly loved.  My prayers are with you.
Sandy Grace is gone now.  She left on her own at 4:45 yesterday morning.  Our prayers were that she would go on her own.  I was holding her when she left.  The worst night we had together, I finally gave up the attemp of giving her any liquids what so ever around 2:00 a.m.  I held her while she threw up time and time again, as she was so weak she could not stand on her own.  My last words when she  vomited  for the last time were, Lord have mercy on her.  She left us just after that.  I called my vet early that morning to tell him Sandy had left on her own, and he said that was the best thing that could have happened.  Soon, I will share with all of you her last minutes, but I just can't right now.  Cissy was a big yellow lab with a heart of gold.  The biggest brown eyes you have ever seen.  Our home seems so empty without her.  First time, we came back in the door and she was not there to greet us.  I feel so alone without her right now.  I see her all over our house, As exhausted as I was,  I could not sleep last night, I kept waking up to check on her.  Did I try to keep her too long, was I selfish?   A million thoughts are in my head and heart now,  trying to sort through them.  I have relived her death thousands of times.  I feel myself pulling away from Bubber (Charleston Hershey) as I have nothing to give right now.  I love Charleston as much as I love Cissy, but I can't seem to be mama to him right now.  He needs love and support too in his grief for his sister.  My husband is lost without his baby.   We have a lot of support  in our family and friends, but we feel so alone without Cissy.  She loved her "bankie",  when she was able to still stand and walk, she would hold her tail up to maintain the blanket, when she laid back down, she still had her bankie.  If she wanted the blanket off, she would drop her tail and keep walking until it fell.  How many times I have relived those moments with her bankie.  Oh what a personality she had.  Sandy Grace smiled a lot-I have a picture of her smiling,  I will send when I can get my head together--that is how I want to remember her, smiling-but right now,  I can't seem to think of anything but the  last six weeks that she has been through.  Could I have done anything else,   Will be back in touch to share more, I have found new friends who know what we are feeling right now, and there is no words to tell you how much we appreciate your caring and the support .  Aggieone
Oh boy, now you've got me crying right along with you.  Both of you did everything right with Cissy - never doubt that.  I prayed so hard for God to take Chica and spare us from making the decision, but it didn't work out that way.  I have a confession to make about Chica too.  She had a blankie that she loved and did the same thing with it that Cissy did.  Those two sure sound like soul mates don't they?  Hopefully they've found each other now.  But back to the blankie.  In the first days after losing Chica, I had to go through the ritual of cleaning up all the signs of sickness.  Cleaning the food bowls and putting them away, doing laundry, vacuuming up all the hair she lost during the last couple of weeks.  But when it came to her blankie, I just couldn't wash it.  I folded it up and keep it in my closet.  Every so often I'll take it down and smell it, and it's like having her back if only for a moment.

I understand why you've backed off from Bubber as well.  Sometimes grief makes us go into our shell, just like an injured snail or a turtle.  For Bubber's sake, just give him a pat here and there and let him know you're still there.  The great thing about dogs is you don't have to talk to them.  They know how you're feeling.  

Grief is an odd thing in animals.  When we lost our first dog, Travis, it upset our cockatiel more than it did Chica.  Petey Bird grew up with Travis and worshipped him.  He followed Travis around the house, shared his food bowl, cleaned his whiskers.  They were really best buddies.  After a few days with Travis out of the house, Petey stopped singing.  That was almost 5 years ago, and that bird has yet to utter one peep of any of his old songs.  

Give it time hun, and let yourself cry as much as you need to.  It's so hard in the beginning to try to forget the sickness and remember the healthy, fun times, but it will come.  God bless you and your husband for being such great parents to Cissy.
Cissy is in peace and you did everything right for her, right up to her last minute...What you are feeling is very normal..I still ask myself if I did everything for my dog before I had to put her down...You (and me) have to let this go.  Just from hearing your words you were the best mom and Cissy was very blessed to have you.  Yes, it hurts a lot and it will for a long time.  I just had a little crying jag thinking of my Tiffy a while ago.  It takes time to get those last moments out of your head, but soon they will be replaced with the wonderful memories of days gone by.  You are grieving right now, so go easy on yourself.  We are all here for you.  Cissy is no longer suffering and I am sure she is saying "thank you" for the wonderful life you have given her.  May God bless you all at this difficult time.
I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. You did everything tight and she thanks you for that. My prayers and thoughts are with you during this emotional time.
Reading my journals for the last six weeks-will provide some of the highlights when I can, but now I just can't.  Hopefully, this will help  somone else recognize the symptoms of kidney failure in their babies. I cannot express to all of you how much your comments mean to us right now. Not sure we could make it without you. It is so hard.  Aggieone
We all know the feeling of losing a beloved pet...we are always here for you. Hang in there and take it one day at a time...that is all you could do right now.
Yes, everyone here helped me through Chica's illness and death more than they may realize.  It still comforts me to look back every so often and read all the kind words from so many people.  You aren't alone in this by a long shot!  :-)

How about a little distraction?  I assume you're in Texas based on your screen name.  My husband and I live in west Houston, and have been here for nearly 30 years.  Yeah, we're getting old!   When we first met in the mid 80's, we spent nearly every summer weekend camping and fishing on the beach on the far west end of Galveston island.  Talk about primitive camping!  During those years, that end of the island was nearly deserted - nothing like what you see there today.  Our dogs loved the whole camping routine, but once we bought a boat (actually, a series of 4 over the years) the camping ended much to the relief of my back.  

Where do you two like to camp?  We've made a few trips more recently to Guadalupe State Park and Pedernales State Park, but we've gotten old enough now to seriously consider an RV instead of hauling the tent and everything else.  I don't need much, and I can stand the heat, but really need something closer to a real bed than we can rig up in the tent.  

My neighbor recently spent 10 days out at Big Bend.  Wow!  The pics are awesome, and primitive doesn't begin to describe the conditions.  Apparently that's the only kind of camping available in that vast park, and dogs aren't allowed so we babysat his 120-lb Lab, King, during that time.  King is just another member of our family and we take custody of him frequently when his dad has to travel on business.  When Chica was still with us, I would take both our dogs and King on walks through the neighborhood, and we literally stopped traffic.  Here I am with 3 times my body weight in dogs, and they just trotted along beside or behind just as nice as you please.  I always got such a kick out that!  Particularly when King's dad gets dragged down the street when he tries to walk his own dog.  LOL!  It's all in the attitude.  :-)
Please know that you are in our prayers out here in Calfornia.   I hope that you can come to find some peace and joy in your life soon.  
yes, this is a horrible thing for any owner or pet to endure.  I am going through this at this moment with my dear sweet little Yorkie (Honey). crying as i type.  Really nothing one can do i guess when they can't keep food, water, or anti-emetics down.  My prayers are with you.
Good Morning!!!   We are haning in there and devoting a lot of time to Charleston (our chocolate lab-nickcname is Bubber)  We are trying to remember to call him Charleston now since Cissy is gone.  I keep reliving the last few minutes of her life.  Will share soon, but again, not now.   I have relived the last 6 weeks and the last few moments of her life a million times now.  Our vet notified Lab Rescue and they have contacted us VIA e-mail to see if we are interested.  How can we say no to a lab who needs a good home.  Husband and I plan to think about this a while.  It is too soon after losing our Cissy, but how can we say no.  What do you guys think?????

Jaybay, I live in North Carolina and love it.  Have lived here my entire life.  My nickname, Aggie was given to me by my twelve year old grandson.  He gave it to me when he started to talk as a little one.  It has stayed with me and everyone calls me Aggie.  We camp at Surfside beach at Ocean Lakes Family Campground in South Carolina, when we stay there, we take our RV.  It is wonderful and so pet friendly.  We rent a golf cart for the week and take our babies everywhere.  Husband use to be a deer hunter, but thank goodness he no longer has the heart to kill them.  From his deer hunting days, he leased hundreds of  acres of land, he still does so we can ride our four wheelers, camp "very primitive" and take our babies, we can only go on weekends because the rule is no hunting after Friday evenings at 6:00 p.m.  We also camp at state parks if they allow pets.  There are so many wonderful places to camp in the mountains of North Carolina (you know we have the Blue Ridge Mountains and Parkway).  Waterfalls, the Broad River and so much more.  You should look at the options and come camp in this wonderful state.  My only complaint is the high humidity in July and August,  I prefer our camper when it is so hot.    I highly recommend Ocean Lakes Family Campground, it is massive and so much to do there.  Our babies love it.  We have been going there for twenty-one years.  I really enjoyed this diversion from my constant thoughts of losing Cissy.  Would really appreciate your thoughts on rescuing another lab.  Kind of wish our vet would have waited a few weeks.  There will NEVER be another Sandy Grace, but we learned a long time ago when we lost our precious Hannah (another lab we rescued) that each of our wonderful babies hold new places in our hearts, have their own wonderful personalities and constantly leave their own footprints on our hearts.  Look forward to hearing from all of you.  You guys are THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Aggieone
I feel that if they contacted you, that it means you should let this new lab into your wonderful home.  You definitely are NOT replacing Cissy....no one can and no one will ever try.  Think of it as a tribute to Cissy.  She has given you so much love that it is only right to share it with another.  I still grieve often for my beloved Tiffy and am not quite ready to have a new dog, however, if one was presented to me I take it as a sign from God.  You know in your heart what to do, and I am sure that you will make the right decision.  Hang in there, and know Cissy is in a better place, running around and not suffering anymore!  
I found this site while getting information on my Mini Schnauzer who has kidney failure and is having a bout with Pancreatitis.  I will share my story at a later time.  I just want you to know that you did everything possible for your Cissy and she is no longer suffering.  I had a dog die in my arms 20 years ago and have had to put down 2 since.  They are like your babies and they can never be replaced.  I know your Cissy is in the arms of our Savior and my beliefs are that we will see our dogs again.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  
We have a house near Brevard NC.  Love it.
Do us a favor and check your profile settings so we can send you private messages and add you to our Friends List.  :-)

I would LOVE to see the entire east coast some day.  I've been all over the midwest from Chicago to Kansas City to Oklahoma City, Houston and points southwest to Los Angeles.  My dream is to take a summer in an RV and roam around New England all down the coast to Florida.  I also love that North Carolina accent.  Very easy on the ears.  LOL!

As for timing on another rescue, that's a tough one because it's such a very personal decision.  Right now there's nothing wrong with updating your application or even putting in applications with a couple more rescue groups.  That way, when you're ready to adopt there will be no delays.  That's actually how we came to adopt Doc Holliday so very soon after losing Chica.  My husband had made application to a dalmation rescue group a couple months before Chica died.  Yeah, I was just a tad upset out that, but as it turned out, it was a good thing.  Having Doc Holliday helped us move past our grief over Chica, and we quickly fell in love with him.  Our other dog Maggie really needed a playmate so when we found Doc and he and Maggie got along so well during their first meeting, there was no point in waiting.  How is Charleston doing being the solo dog now?  You might use his behavior as an indicator for adoption timing.  We've always had 2 dogs, and can't imagine being a 1-dog household.  Twice the love, twice the fun, and twice the.... poop!  LOL!  :-)
Just wanted to let you know that I followed your story from the first to the last posting about Sissy.  Wow, what wonderful parents you were to her.  And in her last days, she knew you were fighting with her. There is no greater gift to an animal on this planet, than that.  Knowing that she was dying and being able to be strong enough for her, not to go ahead and put her to sleep, but instead to do ABSOLUTELY everything in your power to stretch out her days, was such a huge sacrifice.  She knew you were sacrificing for her and you can have peace of mind in knowing that.  Let the thought of you by her side in her last moments give you peace.  I lost my border collie mix, to end stage kidney failure, his name was spots, 2 summers ago, and I still cry to this day. I have since acquired 2 more dogs, but nothing will ever take his place, nor erase the memories of what I went through trying to save his life.  I can say I know exactly what you went through, from vomiting to fluid therapy, to hand feeding.  It is the most difficult situation to be in, when you love them so much, but you did exactly what I did, for my spots...and it gives me peace of mind to hear you tell your story, and know that we DID do everything and that our little babies knew it, right till the end.  God Bless!
Wow! thank you so much.  Our home is still so sad, but we are trying very hard to devote a lot of time to Charleston.  Husband and I have talked at length about rescuing another lab, we have decided to wait a few weeks before we do as we are still mourning and so is Charles.

There is no way that I can describe what Sandy Grace and I went through the last six weeks of her life.  I truly understand "desperation"  now.  Husband hurt his back at the onset of her last six weeks, so he was not able to bend over to help hand feed her.  He was not able to help me hold her as she vomited and finally hold her when she was too weak to do her other business.  My dad had Alzeheimers disease for over eight years; my mom read a book called Thirty-Six Hour Days.  That is truly what I lived with her the last six weeks of her life.  I would do it all over again, because during that time, she did have some good days.  Even walked down to the lake, sat on the bank, watched the geese and seagulls.  She wasn't able to chase them like she loved to do, but she would just look and look as if she knew it could be her last time; finally there was a last time for her.  Cissy was in such bad shape when we rescued her, and we promised her she would not suffer anymore.  For years, she lived a wonderful life and she knew it.  What a pleasure she was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Husband and I are reliving many of her funny times now..  It helps us to laugh.  She was a riot when she wanted to be.  I hope the day will come when kidney transplants are a success for dogs.  The specialist that we took her to said she had not heard of any successes for dogs as yet.  Some cats have been saved, but no true long lasting success for dogs.  I want to recommend to everyone that they should make bloodwork a part of their babies vet visits, at least once every six months.  Cissy was so healthy, she went in to get her nails cut, shots, boosters, tummy upsets, ear infections, etc.  She only got blood work once a year.  I am going to insist on quarterly bloodwork now.  We were devastated when we found out she was in kidney failure.  Not our Cissy!!!!!    I love my supports here and I hope you all do not get tired of me talking about Sandy Grace and the horrible disease she had.  What can we do to get the word out to those who do not know the symptoms.  I have told my family about this site and what a wonderful group of people you are.  Aggieone
Thank you for sharing your story about Sandy Grace.  You weren't here when I had to put my dog down in December.  She was a 12 year old minature poodle who was the love of my life.  She was extra special because she was in my family before my parents passed away.  She was 4 when both my parents died unexpectedly 4 months apart.  My sister and I gave my dad a "Tiffy's Grandpa" for Christmas one year.  She was definitely spoiled by him.  After my parents passed, Tiffy saw my sister and I meet great men, get married and for me, adopt a daughter from China.  My sister and I had "joint custody" of her!  She would spend the school year with my sister (but I visited every morning before school) and she spent summer with me ( I am a teacher).  She started having heart disease and it got progressively worse.  She was taking 6 pills a day for her heart.  She wasn't able to walk far, so I would drive her to the local park and let her walk a little and do her business and hang out a while, I would then carry her back to the car.  This went on like this for the last year or two.  On December 7th, my dog was attacked by a German Shephard.(my husband was walking her)  She got three puncture wounds.  2 were superficial, the other preforated her abdomen.  The doctor was able to stitch it up under a local anesthesia.  However, for the following week, my dog refused to eat .  I took her to the vet and she began renal failure.  It wasn't from the attack, it must have been brewing, but the attack exasterbated it (is that the correct word)...well, treating kidney failure and severe congestive heart is a double edge sword.  One would hurt the other. I would have had to force feed my dog and that was the only thing that she really enjoyed in the past year because she couldn't do much because of her heart.  I always said as she was beginning to "slow down" in the last 2 years, that as long as she enjoyed eating I would let her be.  Well, now she wouldn't eat at all.  I know that she was tired from her heart problem..she couldn't even lay on her stomach because her heart was so large and pushed her other organs down, so she either sat or laid on her side.  I just felt it in my heart that it was her time...I put her at peace on December 15th.  So, I never actually "experienced" the renal failure.  With all she was going through with her heart, I felt I had to do it.  It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but somehow God got me through it.  I know that she is with my father now.  Isometimes question if I did the right thing....I guess I will always wonder, but I try to find peace with my decision.  

This is the first time I shared my story...I hope you don't mind.

Suzi
Oh Suzi, thank you so much for sharing this with me.  How my heart breaks for you and your special baby.  I understand how you feel and you wondering if you did the right thing.  You did.  My husband and I knew we would know when Sandy Grace was ready to leave us, and that would be when she refused to eat.  When she started refusing food, we knew we had to make the call.  Our vet was coming out on Feb 6 at 11:00 a.m. to help her go easily.  But as you read, our special baby left us on her own at 4:45 on the morning of the 6th.  I asked my family to pray that she would go on her own as I did not have the strength to hold her for that last moment in her life with her big brown eyes looking at me.  I thank God that I did not have to do that, but it was so hard when she died in my arms that morning.  I will tell that story someday soon.

Please know in your heart that you did the right thing.  When she gave up eating she was telling you how tired she was and she was ready to go.  We both know that, but Suzi, it hurts so bad no matter if it was the right thing to do.  I told my husband if I could just hold her , feel her breath,  her soft hair and kiss her on the nose one more time.  But I know, I would not call her back because the last two days were horrible for her.  You see I keep questioning should I have called our vet a few days earlier to come out before she died.  We will always have these questions in our minds and hearts, but you did the right thing.  Thank you again for sharing your story.  It does help to talk about it.  Aggieone
It is funny how we carry the "what if" thoughts no matter which way it goes...You wondering if you should have called the vet sooner...me wondering if I should have waiting longer.  LIke you said, it is never easy, and, right or wrong, it hurts so deeply.  I still feel like my heart has been cut out of me.  I know in time we will both heal and be able to share happier stories about our babies.  Maybe they are together.

Suzi
Out of desperation I got online to seek info on renal failure in dogs ,my cassie is 14 golden retreiver lab mix. She is getting worse off and my heart is breaking watching her. She drinks so much and never seems hydrated enough. she can no longer hold her urine and has many accidents. Her urine is very sticky...is this common? A few weeks ago she started vomiting uncontrollable just a yellow fluid that lasted a few days but since has not vomitted any. I just wish that there was something   anything I could do.
                                           Vanessa
I know how you feel, I wish I could tell you things wil improve.  I don't know your baby's numbers so I don't know what level she is in with her kidney failure.  Sandy Grace never had a sticky substance urine.  There was a few days at the onset of Sandy"s illness, that she did not vomit often, but after a couple of weeks, it was constant, (we did have some wonderful days in between where she seemed like she felt great, no vomiting, playing ball with us, but this does not last with kidney failure.)  Have you taken your dog in for blood work and an ultrasound.  Some vets want to biopsy the kidneys, but an ultra sound is much better and less painful.  Most important is the Creatine/Phosphorus  levels.  Are you giving your baby fluids at home, these help rid their body of toxins, but please know this buys your baby some time and makes them comfortable.  Unfortunately in the fourth stage of kidney failure, noting seems to help.   I am encouraged that she is not vomiting.  What is your vet saying?  Aggieone
I just read so many sad stories about some of our med help friends who have lost or about to lose their babies to renal failure.  I felt like it was time for me to share Sandy Grace's last hours.  Hopefully this will help some reach that decision that is so hard to make.  Aggieone
Well, let's try this again.  I read some very sad stories from others who have lost or about to lose their babies to renal failure.  They are in a great deal of pain from a decision they have made or about to make.  Hopefully  my response to them will help others.  Wanted to share with all of you Sandy Grace's last hours.  

I have read and reread all of these sad, sad stories.  My heart is breaking for all of you.  We just lost our beautiful yellow lab "Sandy Grace" to kidney failure.  I know many of you have read my plea for help when Sandy was so sick.  Her creatine was 13.  Our vet was amazed at her will to live.  We took her to the vet thinking she had a gastritis virus.  Like all of you, we did everything we could for her.   We admitted her for 40 hours of IV fluids.  Her creatine went down to a 10.3-  We took her to a specialist hoping for a miracle.  The specialist wanted to put her down that day as ultrasound showed she had one kidney, the other resembeled a raisin.  We told the specialist, she was still eating, drinking plenty of fluids, was still sassy when she wanted to be, still walked to the lake, SHE IS NOT READY TO GO!!!!!    I think the specialist thought we were cruel, but we knew in our hearts our Sandy  wanted a little more time with us, and we wanted a lifetime with her.

Our vet sent bags of fluids home with us.  We gave her fluids, nausea meds, vitamins, everything money could buy to make her more comfortable.  I researched every piece of  information I could find trying to help her.  I read many articles about hollistic and homeopathic treatment.  My vet referred us to a vet who practiced orthodox, hollistic and homeopathic medicine.  We rushed her to him, he prescribed  seven medications for her.  They helped a short time.  The fluids helped for a while, but then nothing seemed to help her vomiting.  This is when I came to this wonderful site for help and support.  I tried the Tums like Jaybay suggested, they gave her some relief for several hours but nothing was longlasting.  She stopped eating (KD dogfood, hamburger, dark meat chicken, bacon, some steak, chicken broth with shreds of chicken,  a special mixture of raw eggs, honey, whole yogurt, babyfood, etc.)    We were constantly giving her ice water chips and pedialyte ice chips,  We realized if she lapped, she threw up everytime-if we gave her ice chips, she seemed to hold it down most of the time.  DESPERATE!!!!  I slept in the den with her, her favorite place was our loveseat.  If she got on the floor, I got on the floor to lay with her.  What else can we do, somebody please help!!!  We can't lose our Sandy Grace, she is so special!!!!  She loves us so much, she wants to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your thoughts are constantly with your baby, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER, THERE HAS TO BE A WAY.  Then, you realize you have to let her go, how can you euthanize your baby who has been your best friend and lived her life for you.   NO, I can't do this.  I PROMISED HER I WOULD NOT MAKE HER GET BACK IN THE CAR UNLESS IT WAS FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!   NO, NO, NO.   Then you know, you have to do this for your baby.  She is not eating, she is drinking very little.  She is so weak, when she throws up, I am holding her so she will not fall.  YOU HAVE TO DO THIS.  NO, I CAN'T.   YES, YOU CAN.  You are being selfish, yes I am, I want to hold her, feel her breath, rub her tummy.  You have to let her go.  We finally made the decision to call our vet, we wanted her on her loveseat  with her bankie, I wanted to hold her as she was sedated, I wanted her to remember,  to experience our love one more time before she closed her eyes in sleep.  She would not know about the second shot that would stop her heart.  She would not suffer from the vomiting and weakness anymore.  She would be at peace and healthy forever in heaven.  Our vet was coming at 11:00 a.m. on Februay 6 to help  end her suffering.  That did not happen.  Sandy was much worse, the evening of February 5, she was constantly throwing up, so weak . . WHY DID YOU NOT CALL YOUR VET SOONER!!!!!!!  I finally got her settled around 11:00 p.m that evening or I thought I did.  She was able to rest for a few hours.  She wanted in the floor, O.K., we can do this together girl.  I helped her in the floor and I laid down beside her and put my arm around her, rubbed her tummey, pulled her ears (she loved that) and told her it was O.K. to go.   I told her how much we loved her and what a great friend she had been.  I reminded her of her funny times and told her we would hold those precious moments in our hearts forever.  She was relaxed for a while.  (You see, many dogs lose their personalities during their last days of kidney failure, but Sandy Grace never did.  She knew who we were and was still wagging her tail at us her last hours.  Even with a creatine level of 13, she was still rolling in the grass, watching the seagulls and geese  I hope she was thinking of her fun times.)  We managed to rest a short while, then she started throwing up horrible yellow and green fluids.  Dry heaves that was nearly killing her.  WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER, IT IS SO LONG UNTIL 11:00 AND HER SUFFERING ENDS.  I am holding her as she is dry heaving, she has a seizure, (first one-lasted only seconds)  Her tongue is turning black.  SO LONG UNTIL 11:00, I KNOW I WILL CALL MY VET TO COME EARLY MORING!!!!  I promised her no more fluids, she would not accept any water or pedialyte now.  2:00 a.m. . .  Sandy, I am just going to hold you, I will not bother you again trying to give you any meds or fluids.  We will just lay here together and I will hold you until I can call the vet to come earlier.

On the evening of February 5, my grandson called to say goodnight-I asked him to pray that Sandy Grace would go on her own, I called my daughter, son, sister, mom and friends to pray that same prayer,

Sandy rested until 4:00 a.m., finally she tried to get up, she wanted to lay on the kitchen floor because it was cooler.  I helped her to the kitchen floor.  She laid there for a while, I could tell she wanted to be alone, so I pulled up a chair, gave her some distance and just watched her.  I laid my head back and snoozed for a few minutes, I heard her trying to get up, I got up and helped her into the den.  Just as we got into the den, she sat just as beautifully as you could imagine, she looked at me with those wonderful eyes for a few seconds, dry heaved, fell forward in a violent lunge.  I tried to catch her, as I caught her and positioned her in my arms, I could see in her eyes that she was leaving us, I cried out loud, Lord have mercy on her, two weak dry heaves, and she was gone.  I must have held her for an hour or so, rubbing her tummey, pulling her ears and feeling the warmth leave her body.  I live these moments in my mind every minute of my day and most of the night.  

Why am I telling you all of this . . in my heart, I know I should have called our vet a few days earlier . . I didn't-she suffered that night-but my prayer was answered, she went on her own.  Which way is easier for all of you who loved or loves your babies as much we did.  I do not know.  I do know that kidney failure is a horrible thing and there is no cure, it only gets worse in time.  I have read and heard about dogs who lived for a year or two with kidney failure.  The sub q's do help bring down the toxins.  THERE IS NO CURE!!  I have been told by three vets that they have not heard of any successful kidney transplants for dogs.  Maybe someday.

I hope if you have a decision to make about your babies, you will make the right one for them and yourselves.  It is such a personal and painful decision to make.  My heart is with all of you if you have gone through this or about to do so.  Stay with this site, as you will get  the best support  from these wonderful friends you have found.  Aggieone
I am crying as I read your post as your dog went to a better place.  Thank you for sharing your story. I know how hard it is.  From your words, I will bet my bottom dollar that your dog left in peace.  You were there and that is all that mattered to Cissy.  Please do not wonder if you did the right thing.  Cissy would not have wanted it any other way....BLESS YOU!
Thank you so much for your sincere comments.  You have the biggest heart.  I wanted to write about her last few hours and our time together,  I hope it helps someone through the horrible decisions they have to make concerning their babies.

I read your post to the young man who has a brother with ADHD.  I think you can help him in so many ways.    Keep in touch with him as I am very concerned about the beginning of bullemia.  I know your kids at school absolutely love you.  You are the BEST.   Aggieone
I appreciate you posts and I now know what I have to have the strength to do. I thought a tailwag was always enough, but I don't want Santana to go through all of this. He seems fine today, but as soon as he starts vomitting nothing I willl call the vet. He's 14.5 year old Siberean. That's over 100 in dog years. He is laying beside me now looking at the laptop screen. God give me the strength to not let him suffer too much.

Thanks. I will not be back on here. Aggietone, you have saved dogs needless suffering with your tale. If nothing else, take solace that you have told others what awaits in their fate.

I know what I have to do. I pray I have the strenghth to recognize it then. I want to live in denial and hope that this will be the one case that has a reversal. Rght now that seems selfish of me.

Goodnight and thanks for reliving your tale. Your baby sounds like she meant the world to you. It seems like her passing won't go in vain.

Brian Tester...
Jonesborugh, TN
I know you said you would not be back on this site, but if you do come back one more time, I hope you get this.

Tell us more about your baby Santana.  Talk to us about him.  IT HELPS.  Is your dog in kidney failure, if not tell us what is wrong with him, so we can provide support to you.  We all love our babies so much or we would not continuously come to this site, to our friends who understand the pain we are going through.

Thank you so much for your post, if no one else reads it, you did and it was worth the pain I went through to write it.  Please visit this site often, it will help.  WE CARE.  Aggieone
Cassie Sue Nipper

I love you and i know that it is time for you to go ...Dont stay for us ..I never thought I WOULD ENCOURAGE your passing but can only hope the good Lord takes you so that My hands will never be responsible for your loss to me and my kids.It has been 4 days without food and although the hot dog you had today was good it didnt stay down. I so wanted it to nourish you weak body....can not. I am at a loss .....you are one of my children ...14 years old ....be waitng for me Cassie.  Is there anything I can do??
There is nothing you can do at this point and my heart breaks for you.  I know how you are feeling.  You feel helpless as you watch your baby slowly leaving you.  Oh, I wish I could help you or wave a magic wand.  

Try to keep her comfortable, she may have chills, keep her warm-continue to try give her ice chips of Pedialyte and ice chip water-  Two tums a day may settle her tummy for a short while-try white meat chicken in organic chicken broth with some rice.  Give her Pedialyte with a syringe in the side of her mouth-she is more likely to swallow.  Is she getting fluids at home?  Is she still trying to eat at all, is she drinking water-does she still have her personality, has she had any seizures at all?  

If she is close to the end, her last hours will be so hard for both her and your family-I prayed for morning to come so I could call the vet to come earlier.  (see above in my posts)  Did I do the right thing by praying that she go on her own-was it selfish of me, I do not know.  The vet said it was the best thing that could have happened-but for who . . . Sandy Grace or me . . . . . . . . ?

If she is starving, cannot keep anything down and will not accept water,  spend some time with her sharing everything in your heart and tell her it is O.K. to go, and for your baby's sake call your vet and talk with them.  We did call our vet after she refused to eat or drink-to starve to death or to die from dehydration is a horrible thing for our babies.  God answered my prayer, he took Sandy Grace so we would not have to watch that needle, was it the right thing,  I DO NOT KNOW!!!!!!

This is a horrible thing for your baby and your family and such a very personal decision as to what to do.  I will say a prayer for all of you-one that you will make the right decision for your baby and your family.  Don't leave this site as I can tell you, we do care and will support you for as long as you need us.   Aggieone
I am going through this horrible sickness with our baby Babe. She is shar-pei and has been our baby for 11 years now who we refuse to let go. She was diagnosed with kidney failure on Monday. I have been so confused on what we should do. Putting her to sleep is NOT an option right now. We love her so much and the thought of not seeing her when I get home wagging her tail and wanting a treat is too painful for me to even imagine. She loves to smell the flowers in our garden and play with our other dog Penny.  I can still see her on her back playing with a ball in her mouth then wanting to play fetch. My husband does not even want to think of putting her to sleep. My heart is breaking. I read your story and knew that I could talk to you. Please pray for my Babe. I need strength to make that call to the vet. I know I said it's not an option, but deep down in my heart I know we have to. It just makes me angry that we will not have her around for much longer. As I look out the window I see her smelling everything just like she used to. She LOVES being outside with our other dog Penny. I will join them in a bit. For now  I will let her do whatever her little heart desires.

Erika
Hi, I am so sorry for your pain, I just lost my dog to this horrible disease also.  If Babe is still going outside and not in noticeable pain, I wouldn't make that call yet.  I found that the toughest part of this whole thing was to make the decision about when the right time was.  I ended up taking Benny to the vet thinking we were going to put him down then, but he perked up so much while there (he loves the vets office) that we didn't have the heart to do anything and we brought him back home.  I was fine with that decision, had I put him down then, I would have had guilt. After bringing him home he still had times of love with us while we rubbed him and he wagged his tail.  In 4 days after that, he had deteriorated enough to where he could barely walk.  He had not eaten for over a week and had stopped drinking for about a day.  I really felt it was time.  I wasn't positive, but I knew that it was more time then 4 days earlier.  We had to carry him to the car on a blanket and take him in.  
I think no matter what happens, if they pass at home, or we take them in, we always have doubts and what ifs.  This is SOOOOOO difficult and this is what it sounds like you are going through right now.  I will pray for you that god will help you make a decision about when the right time is.  I think in your heart you will know. I know how  you feel about feeling angry, I also felt that.  Just enjoy him for now, and take it day by day for right now.   Hugs.. Shannon
Thank you for your support. I was so happy to see your comment.  I still have hope for our Babe.  I did give her some food yesterday and today-prescribed cannned food from the Vet.  I have been smashing it up with some pedialyte; with a huge syringe I put it in her mouth. She has kept most of it down.  She doesn't really vommit the food, but some white gooey saliva?  I bought some herbal stuff called Tripsy and I started to give her that as well; it has some herbal ingredients that are supposed to help clean the toxins in her body.  I guess we are still in denial; I want to try anything just to have her with us longer. I am feeling guilty.  Babe just woke up and it's time to give her some pedialyte and her food along with the herbal stuff. I just keep praying tomorrow will be better.
Big hug...Erika
Hi Erika, I just read your post, and I am so sorry you are going through this with your baby.  Your days and nights are long and I know that.  Wait on your Babe to tell you when she is ready to go, you will not regret as much.  Making that decision to call the vet is horrible, but Babe will help you when the time is right.  She will quit eating, and start refusing any liquids.  Does your vet have her on sub qs.  That helps for a while.  As long as she is playing, still eating and drinking, she is not ready to go.  You will recognize it the minute she starts to say good-by.  I still think about Sandy Grace's last hours and I still cry everyday.  We miss her so much.  

Take every minute with your baby, tell her how much you love her and I know you will do everything you can to make her comfortable.  When she gets near the end, she will be so weak she cannot walk without your help.  Waiting on her to tell you when she is ready to go is so hard.  If she is in the early stages of renal failure, you should still have some great moments with her.  Sandy was still wagging her tail at us throughout the day of February 5.  That is their love for us, they are saying thank you for all that you have done, that is saying thank you for being such a good mom.   I wish I could help you, I wish I could encourage you and tell you it will be better, and some days with her will still be good, we had a few where Sandy Grace was not throwing up and happy.  We cherrished those days.  So far and few between.

I know you are doing everything you can for her, and remember, she knows that too.   Stay with us on this site as we will support you every step of the way.  We care and we know what you are going through. I have started praying for you, your Babe and your family,  Aggieone

Well, it is me again.  Try not to feel guilty right now.  You are looking out the window watching your baby still enjoying the flowers and being outside.  She is ENJOYING the moment,   Those precious moments will bring your comfort, and peace.  Those precious moments you are watching her, please know she is still feeling some normalcy in her world.  Rejoice that she is still smelling the flowers and be at peace with your self as you have allowed her another day to go outside and have fun.   When dogs go through renal kidney failure, there is no pain.  I was assured that by three vets who attended Sandy Grace during her illness.   It sounds like you still have some time with her and that is what you have to focus on right now.  The time will come soon enough when you have to struggle to make that call.  For now, enjoy those moments and they will forever be in your heart and mind.  Aggieone
Cassie is gone....She contiued to vomit and seizures came on fast. I stayed up with her most the night . I prayed to the Lord that if I was for me to end her suffering he would give me peace in my heart ...I woke up changed Cassies bedding and kiss her on the head telling her I would not let her suffer one more day! Peace was in me and I knew it was time. (We My daughter and I) carried her out to yard and she layed in the freash air and the sunshine pour over her sick body. She was ready. We said our goodbyes.....The vet helped assist Cassie to doggie heaven at 5;15PM AND PRAISE GOD SHE HURTS NO MORE!!! It was a privilege and blessing to have her in my life for 14 years.I WILL MISS HER ! I know I will have another dog in my home soon ...I love them so ...so faithful and devoted to us till the very end! Cassie would be pleased to know that I was able to open my heart to save another dog from hell (she came from the shelter) and so this is what I will do . Cassie has been cremated and right now Im not sure where she will go...I figured I'll know when the time is right! This conclues HER STORY...I thank you all for your support and kindness.         MAY YOU BE BLESSED !
                                                      VANESSA
My Babe is gone....
I cannot talk about her right now....I cannot stop crying. We miss her so much.
I need time.....
Oh honey, you and Cassie sound so much like me and what I went through losing my Chica to kidney failure at 14.  What a wonderful gift to have your vet come to your home and have her outside in the sunshine at the end.  :-)  We lost Chica in early January so that was impossible.  Like Cassie, Chica was rescued - but not from a shelter.  She was dumped out in a rural area NW of Houston.  Maybe she jumped out of a truck bed (?) because she had a broken tail and a horrible wound on her butt and thigh.  My husband and I have rescued 4 dogs since 1990, and convinced several people that rescue is the way to go.  I can thank all of our dogs for showing us the way in that respect.  They teach us so much about life, don't they?

I know your grief is sharp right now, and you'll always miss Cassie, but I'm also very happy to hear you're open to rescuing another dog.  There is no limit to love in the human heart, and dogs bring out the love in us.  Blessings,

Jennifer
I can't stand it!  There seems to be a rash of dogs dying from kidney failure lately.  :-(  We all understand what you're feeling right now, so cry all you need to.  Come back and tell us about it when you're able.  For now, you're in my prayers for peace.
Oh Erika, I am so sorry.  I am so sorry is only words right now and will not touch your pain.    Cry until you can't, reflect on your baby, and cry even more.  The next several days will be so hard for you, you will see Babes, you will hear her bark, you will awaken thinking she is there.  When all this  happens to me, I talk to her, that helps me so much.  I put her picture as wallpaper on my cell, and everytime I open it, I give her a big kiss.  We all do different things to work through such grief, so whatever may be your salvation at this time, do it.   You will cry everytime you realize she is not there, but this is your grieving, and we have to greive to get better.  My heart is breaking for you.  As Jennifer said, we all know what you are feeling right now.  We are seeing so many lose their babies with this horrible illness, and we are helpless.  We also know you have nothing to give right now, and that is O.K., when you're ready, we are here for you.  The support here is wonderful and all these guys have helped me tremendously.   We care about you and all of us are praying for you. Aggieone
Oh no, I am sooo sorry, please post when you can, it will make you feel better.  Take the time to mourn right now.... Shannon
Hi, anyone...

I just lost my beloved loyal girl, Indi to renal failure (she was diagnosed Sept. 2007) she passed away, Monday Oct 20...  I was away In PA visiting my family with my little sons when I got the call from my husband, I rushed home to Houston to find her almost catatonic, but still breathing, eyes open....  I held her close and told her it's almost over. We hurried and took her to the vet for euthanasia.... it was so sad, so hard.... we miss her so much.  I only thank God that he let me have her final hour with her, letting her know that I was there for her.  I didnt know that she could be more or less okay one days, and down hill so fast the next. She was 16 years old, I rescued her from a shelter in Pa.  So many wonderful memories...   she will be missed.  Can't stop crying.
Hello:
I'm so sorry to hear about all the ill precious babies!!  It really tears my hear to shreds to read the things going on in your lives.  I have a 24 month yorkie who went into kidney failure at 9 months old.  After about a couple of weeks realizing his kidneys were failing him, we spent our savings of over $7,000 getting him the best care. To look at him now, you wouldn't know he had gone into renal kidney failure.  I also looked up this website that helped me a great deal.  After our puppy returned home from the veterinary specialist hospital, I began giving him flaxseed oil (refrigerated liquid form), Co-Q-10 (refrigerated liquid form), fish oil (***** the softgel pill), and vitamin E (***** the softgel pill).  I mix them all together and use a syringe and give him his dosage daily.  Three months later, I took him back to the vet to get his BUN and Creatinine levels checks and the vet asked if he was eating and had a good appetite.  Yes, he's doing well.  After the vet checked his levels, he couldn't believe how well our puppy was doing.  I told our vet the cocktail I was giving puppy and all he said was "keep doing what you're doing, 'cause he's doing great"!!  To date, our puppy (even though he's 24 months - - I still call him my puppy) is doing wonderfully.  I also give the same cocktail to my 6year old yorkie too.  It won't kill him.  Yes, this is the "people" form of vitamins that I got from the health food store.  I did more research and realize that I will not give my dogs any treats/food that come from China.  I make them their dinner every evening which is broiled chicken, cooked and seasoned (vitamin E, flaxseed oil and MSM) chopped yams, sprinkled with flaxseeds and organic lettuce.  They also get green tripe which is ordered from SitStay.com which is helpful for the kidneys.  I invest alot into my puppies and love them so much that I will do what I need to do to get them healthy.  If anyone wants to contact me, please email me at:  ***@****.  I'd love to help any one out to get their puppy back to good health.  Thanks to you all and prayers to all of you too.
Wow!  You're lucky you can afford green tripe - I understand it's pretty pricey.  It's also one of the few foods that are extremely low in phosphorus which is deadly to those in renal failure.  I completely agree with you about avoiding any products from China.  The melamine scandal wasn't limited to dog and cat food either; it also showed up in bird seed and nearly killed my 20 year old cockatiel.  The difficulty is that even if a food states is made in the USA, the individual ingredients may come from China.

Homemade dog food is a great way to go to ensure food safety, as long as vitamin supplements play a part to maintain full nutrition.  That's one thing I'll give to commercial dog foods - they do have to meet nutrition requirements even if the ingredients are sub-par.  Good job!
My Beloved Baby Yorkie (Lalique) Lali is in Kidney failure.  I am in so much pain watching my baby slowly die.  We are doing the fluids under the skin and Hills KD but she is weak, very weak.  I love her with all my heart, my sweet loving baby.  However she is eating  well but very little drinking.  I am worried for her........  I don't want my baby to suffer and yet the selfishness in me wants her to stay with me.  

I may not have given birth to my Lali but she was definitely born in my heart.  The thought of never smelling, kissing, hugging,bathing/grooming, cooking for her rips me up.  I just can't stop crying.  Her little noises as she sleeps or the sy of content.  That special look in her face that says Mommy I love you.  

The day, oh how I dread that day, that is soon approaching.........  May God spare her of any pain.  My beloved baby, I wish there was something more I could do to help her and save her from this horrible disease.  My Sweet Sweet baby, Mommy's little Angel.  I love her so very much.  

The pictures throughout our house and my 2 girls who absolutely adore her are really hurting too.  We have had such a bad string of luck and now this............  So painful for our family.  

Does the Pedilyte help to give them stgrength and is there salt in that drink?   I am open to any and all suggestions you may have.  Is there something more I can be doing?

I am sorry and so sad to have read the sad heart wrenching stories.  Tears are flowing down my face............. I understand the pain and I am so sorry.  May God Bless Our Babies Forever.

With Sincere Sympathy,
SC
My german shepherd is 14 months. I knew something was wrong. The vet I spent hundreds of dollars on seemed like I was nuts. I took her to a second vet and asked for full urine and blood analysis.  Sadly the vet called early in the morning, he could not believe the blood results.  Bun is 135 and Creatinine is 6.80. He gave me a special low protein diet to make for her. I cant stop crying. She is so young. I don't know if the vet previously had anything to do with it from the general. He put her on antibiotics and des. I took her off after seeing her vomit. Then he gave frontline and she lost control of her legs. That is when after speaking to him and he belittled me I went to a second vet.
Cant she pull out of this. Really, is it going to be over.  
My dog has kidney disease also. He is doing well now with subq fluids twice a day and special diet. He seems happy. I will know when it is time. One thing I have learned after having 3 dogs put down because of liver/and or kidney issues, is that I will not let them suffer. I can't believe some people let their dogs go for days vomiting, not eating, etc. What does the animal have to do to let you know the fight is over? When you let a dog suffer like that, you're doing it for selfish reasons. As bad as you don't want to let them go, it's the right thing to do for them. I can't imagine letting my dog vomit himself to death. Unbelievable.
My beautiful 8 year old Bichon Frise Blue is at the ending stages of his kidney disease. We put up a huge fight, consulted and visited with 3 vets. Actually were two till two weeks ago. Our regular vet who is wonderful and a holistic vet. The Holistic vet is an hour and a half from us so I consulted with both... he and my wonderful vet to get the best of care for Blue. Two weeks ago our reg vet sent us to a special intensive care facility. Blue spent Memorial Day weekend there. They did all they could for him there and I took him home. He has been in high spirits, happy to see family and friends. Spends his last days in the sun when it's shining and rests a lot which he always loved to do. We go for evening walks and the other evening he pulled me to the door of a very close friend of ours. She has Chinchillas and he loves them. We walked through the door and up the stairs he went. Up and down those stairs. That was Tuesday. With each day I do see him slowly slipping away and just like Dew99, I do not want to watch him suffer. I spoke with my reg vet who I adore to see when he'll be in for I want him to help us through this difficult moment. He's in all week till Saturday. I'm spending our last days at home just snuggling. He's hasn't vomited since Tuesday. I'm still giving him his fluids, herbs and meds for his nausea to keep him comfortable. He's such a good boy and all he wants to do is please me. With all he's gone through he hasn't had an accident in our house, he runs down the stairs and to our back slider when he needs to go. I'm holding out for my girls, age 18 and 13 for they're still in school and I know they'll need to grieve and cry and spend a day for themselves after we say goodbye. Blue's in rush either. If he was suffering my girls would have to deal. He's eating anything he wants and happy doing so as he lays in his bed. But he's tired. I know he is. , he has continued to get up to go out and when he's done goes right back to his bed and sleeps.He's still eating his cookies (not worrying about his diet now, it would be like telling a smoker with stage 4 lung cancer to stop smoking) I've tried every diet the vet has given me, baked, you name it, he doesn't want it. All he wants is his cookies and if that's what he wants, that's what he'll get.

This morning I noticed head tremors. Did anyone else witness this with their dying dogs? He doesn't seem to be suffering. It stops and he snuggles back and goes to sleep. Still eating his cookies.
These are all such sad stories. I feel for each of you. I must tell you that my Dasher has kidney disease and the vet wanted me to buy purina for kidney disease and I refused. I researched "food for renal failure" and many sites said that the food is so low in protein that most dogs actually are malnourished. That is not the way to go. They have special low phosphourus diets you can make or the green tripe is wonderful. Also the Tripsy kidney support helps the kidneys. The coq10 is awesome and salmon oil. I have been using these for weeks and my Dasher is improving. He is a 13 year old rescued greyhound. I also do not get yearly shots for my dogs. They have proven (do your own research) that they actually build up in their bodies and attack their immune systems. Don't always listen to vets, do your own research. Vets need to make money that is why they don't tell you this...I am taking this approach hoping for the best but time will tell and I will keep you all posted.
These stories are all so heartbreaking.  My pup Hanna is not interested in going outside to play with her brother today.  We thought she had gastric problems, because she was not drinking or peeing excessively.  I took her in for a vet visit Thursday and they did a blood test. Saturday we found out that she has almost no use of her kidneys.  Her levels were extremely high: BUN 202, Creatinine 9.5, and Phosphorus 14.9.  We were advised to put her down that day because they thought treatment, although very expensive and aggressive, would probably not help her much.  It seems very unfair.  She is only about 3 and we did not have any time to prepare for this emotionally.  For the past 2 days she has been playing in the yard with her brother till evening time.  We have been hand feeding her for over a week and she has had Sub Q's twice.  My husband doesn't want her to suffer more, but I'm not sure if I can decide on taking her in to put her down.  It's too heartbreaking for me to face.  He is calling now to make a decision.  She is alert, but has no energy for playing today.  Pray for us.

Mary
If she is still really active and dosnt seem to be in ALOT of pain then you shouldnt rush into anything.I wouldnt want for you to have regrets and the What If  thoughts going through your mind.She will let you know what is right for you to do.I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.You two will be in my prayers.Try to stay strong and i know in my heart that the Lord will see you through.May God Bless You,Chan
We just had to have our beloved Benny put down Wednesday.  He was a 12 year old golden lab-finnish spitz mix.  I knew it would be hard but my heart is broken.  He was my sunshine.  We have had other dogs but Ben was more than a dog.  He had such a personality that I used to tell him he must not be a dog but a human in disguise.  He was our puppy boy.  He was just diagnosed at the beginning of the month and we tried the KD dog food but he wouldn't eat it.  For awhile he would eat a homemade kidney diet and would drink outside from a clean puddle my husband made for him.  He wouldn't drink otherwise.  We had IV fluids administered for three days and he perked up a little for a couple of days then got worse.  At the end he still knew us and wagged his tail but he couldn't get up to go outside and had diarrhea.  The vomiting lessened when we stopped the Azodyl.  I had to feed him from a bottle.  The last morning I sat with him and petted him and told him what a good boy he was.  I sang You Are My Sunshine because that is what he was.  Then my husband took him to the vet while I fell to pieces.  He seemed so healthy just a month ago and suddenly was sick.  I miss him so much and keep asking myself if there was anything else we could have done.  We didn't want him to suffer but it was so hard to let him go.
I'm so sorry you lost your friend - particularly at this time of year - and to kidney failure.  It's a heartbreaking process to deal with knowing there isn't much, if anything, you can do to even slow down the damage.  It's been 3 years since we lost our dog to it right after the holidays.  I still can't believe her vibrant personality is gone forever.  Give yourself permission and time to grieve.  Hugs and prayers for eventual peace. :-)
Thank you for your kind words.  I hope that there is eventually peace.  Right now I miss him so much it hurts.  He definately was a once in a lifetime blessing.  I can't imagine going on for the rest of life without him right now.

We get his ashes on Monday and I know that will be hard because it will make it all final.  Right now I can still have a fantasy that we'll find out a miracle occurred and he is alive.
I have found comfort in your precious dog stories.  Princess, our 16 yr old female minature poodle, was in kidney failure in Dec 2008.   Her urea nitrogen level was 42.  The vet put her on an IV, and she seemed to get better.  She has almost been normal this past year.

We took Princess for her 2009 rabies shot three weeks ago.  The following Saturday, she had one seizure, two on Sunday, and one early Monday morning.  We called the emergency vet on Sunday.  The emergency vet said there was not much he could do for her. He recommended a battery of tests.   After the IV episode last year, we decided we would not put Princess  through more procedures.  

The seizures were rough for Princess and us.   We felt so helpless.  Princess could barely walk, and when she did walk she walked into everything.  Our vet of 30 years did not respond to our phone message, so we went to a new vet the Monday of her last seizure.  The new vet put her on phenabarbatol and did a geriatric blood workup.

After we started the phenabarbatol the seizures stopped.  According to the vet, it  takes two weeks for phenabarbatol to take effect. Phenabarbatol does something to their back legs, they have trouble standing and they also lose control of their bodily functions.  The phenabarbatol drugged her heavily.   I slept downstairs with her, so I could be near when she woke up in the middle of the night.  Seemed like all I could do was cry and try to soothe her.  During the first week of being on phenabarbatol, Princess did not know who we were.  She was like an alien dog.  

Princess shivers continuously.  I thought the shivers were from her illness.  I finally figured out she was cold.  I had kept a T shirt on her, but she was still cold.  I put a little portable floor heater next to her bed, and she has really loved sitting in front of the heater.  We live in the Florida Panhandle.  The  weather has not been that cold.  

One of my friends made princess some velcro panties, the kind like you use when a female is in heat.  I put a  #1 pamper on her with a hole for her tail.  The velcro panties have helped keep on the pampers.  I also used a safety pin to pin the pampers to the back of her T shirt.  I have not mastered the velcro for keeping the pampers in tact.  I try to let her out so she can do her business without the pampers, but lately she seems to be losing more control.

My husband rescued Princess from going to a shelter when she was 1 1/2 years old.  I think someone used to beat her.  When you would raise your hand, she immediately would hunker down.  She has became a loving dog and has been a gift from God.

Today, we took Princess back for her two week blood test for the Phenabarbatol.  The vet did more blood work.  The Urea Nitrogen level was 43 two weeks ago.  The level from today's blood work was 71.   All Princess does is sleep.  So far she had not experienced any nausea.   We don't want her to be in any pain.  We are selfish and cannot let her go.  I know the time is coming when we will have to put her down.

God Bless you for bringing joy to our canine loved ones.   Feels like there is a big hole in my heart.  Your stories have brought tears to my eyes.  Your stories have helped me tremendously.   God Bless.
I just want to tell you that i admire your love and devotion to that precious little girl.You are a very special person to go to the extent that you are to help her and make sure she is comfortable.I had a pekingese that wore diapers and i had to cook his meals and hand feed him not to mention i was giving him sub-qs as well.He had been abused when he was younger and when i got him he had no lower jaw bone and was almost blind from where someone had struck him in the head.He was older when he came to live with us and within a few years he had a stroke,So we believe. And as the weeks past he lost most of his mobility in his back legs.I would carry him out to potty and tell him the story of how we first met over and over.Bernie really loved that story.He would wag his little tail and look up at me as if he where smiling.I told him that he could let go if he needed to,But i could still see the fight in his eyes.The day i found him a propane truck was coming around a curve and was going to hit him.I jump out in the road in front of the truck and almost got hit,But i saved him.I loved him from the moment i held him in my arms and felt his little heart beating against my chest.After a few years by when he got sick it was really fast,But he held on well over 8 months.I promised him the day i found him that i would never let anyone hurt him again.So i was against putting him to sleep.I kept him comfortable and i knew that he was.I told him a week before Christmas that i was exepecting and he was going to get to be a big brother.Then later that week me and my husband had to run into town one evening and while we were gone i had an odd feeling come over me.I told my husband i had to get home.And when i walked in the back door ,I knew before i even opened Bernie's door that he was gone.And he was.He had let go just like i told him he could.He knew that i would be ok and i believe that he needed a sign from me to be sure of that.I held onto him for well over an hour thinking that maybe he would come back to me.I knew he was gone but it was just to hard to except.I guess what i am trying to tell you is you are doing what is right for you and your baby and i really do admire you for that.We have hospice for humans ,Why cant we offer that to our furbabies.That is something that alot of people should think about.I will keep you in my prayers.May God Bless You.
Thank you for your prayers.  Princess has had diaharrea (sic) and bloody stools since yesterday.  She will not eat.  We are taking her to the vet tomorrow.  I am worried about dehydration.  I bought her some pediapops, but don't know if I can get her to eat them.  

I fear that we may not be bringing her back home.  I don't think she is in pain.  I believe her body is shutting down.  We have done all that can to keep her comfortable.  God wants our flower back.  It is hard to think about letting go.  
It is a hard and devastating decision to have to make.  We had our Ben on IV therapy and for a few days he seemed to get better.  Then he went downhill rather quickly. The last day we could see that the light had gone out of his beautiful brown eyes.  He didn't seem to be in any pain but we could see that he didn't have any fight left.  We put him to rest on December 23.  It has been a week and 4 days.  I find myself looking for him when I go outside and have started to call him a couple of times when I got home from work.  He was my baby from the moment I picked him up from the box outside the drugstore and he wrapped his paws around my neck, almost 12 years ago.

I hope something can be done for your Princess.  If not, I wish for you the courage to do what is best for her and some peace in knowing she was well loved during her time with you.  
I am truley so sorry for what you and Princess are going through.Only you know what is right for you and your little girl.I can honestly say that with Bernie i have no regrets.Alot of people can be so judgemental,Some people said that i went to far with him.But i knew he wasnt hurting and that he still had that spark in his eyes.You can try Gatorade they seem to like the taste alot better,Plus you can do sub-qs.I learnt how to do them at home after Bernie had a few my vet said that it would be easier on me to learn how to do them myself.If you need anything,Just remember i will be here for you.I will keep you both in my prayers.May God Bless You.Chan
Princess started bloody diarrhea (sic) Saturday morning, and it became progressively worse.   Princess  stopped eating.  Princess also had other health problems.  We took her to the vet this morning with stool samples.  We were oncerned about dehydration.  The vet said she could give us meds for the diarrhea, but that we would be back in a couple days because Princess was shutting down.  

The vet said we needed to start thinking about making a decision for Princess.   We choose to put her at rest.   There will be a hole in our heart for a long time.  Princess  is forever in our heart.   We had her cremated.  We will put her ashes in the bayou.  She loved to sit at the end of the dock.  

Thank you for helping me through this difficult time.     God Bless.  
hi all, came home from work on friday to find my lovely dog "pupps"(we named her pupps because it was the only name she would respond to when we took her) not looking the best, we bought her from a traveller family 12 years ago when we seen her looking at us from sitting in a puddle and her life was sealed with us from then on, she was the greatest dog anyone could ever have, she would never eat dog food and lived on steaks, ham, chicken and what ever we normally had for dinner she would have the same, she loved coffee and tea also and would always gives us the eyes when we were drinking tea asking for it which we could never say no, anyone would say she was a member of our family we loved her so much, my mam and dad loved her like a child, bought her christmas presents, birthday presents, cakes and treated her like a spoiled child, we were planning for her birthday which was yesterday (valintines day) and we had gotten her loads of treats, coats and new beds in

on friday just gone i knew she didnt look herself, she had been eating fine and using the toilet fine(never went in the house) but i knew the look in her eyes on friday was telling me something was wrong, i brought her straight up to the vet and she said she'll take blood samples and xrays and see what is wrong.

On Saturday i got the bad news that her kidneys had failed and she had only 20% of them working, the vet said that it came as quick as she ever seen before, she said it would be cheaper to put her down but that was never going to happen, i was given the option of medication that will give her another 2-6 months off quality life which was very expencive but i would of given her every penny i had for her to save her, as im sure everyone who is on this would for their babys.

i took her home on saturday and the vet said she gave her enough medication for the weekend and i was to bring her back today(monday) for her to flush her kidneys out and give more medication, yesterday i was looking up on here and read some of your stories and it brought a tear to my eye, i looked at pupps and she had gotton so bad she could not stand, she was vomiting consistinly, not eating and she looked in pain, i could not believe this had happened so quick, from being fine on thursday to be in such a state on sunday, i knew from the stories on here that last night was her final night.

at 11.30pm i had her in my arms,i couldnt do anything for her only hold her and tell her how much i loved her, i kept telling myself that the vet said she'd be fine for another 2-6 months and couldnt think about what was to follow, at 12.30am my dad and mam said their good byes and we all cried our eyes out, we kept talking to her telling her she will be ok and at exactly 2am she fell asleep for good. i cried all night beside her until 9am this morning when i had to break the bad news to the rest of my family. i completly washed her down and got a big plastic box to bury her in, i went out and bought new pink blankets and covered the box with them and i got a love heart cushin with "i love you" on it and rested her head on it. i will never forget her and it will take me a very long time to get over her.

thanks for listening to my story, its not very helpful but your stories helped me prepare for last night so i thought i would share back
We just had the same thing happen to our Patches she had kidney failure, she was only 3 years old. The vet told us it was hereditary. They wanted us to put her down right away and I said no way.and got a new vet..so she held on for 8 months we got special food and we even did baby food to...I think she was holding on for me..I was so close to her always takeing care of her...she would have good days and bad ones..I asked myself the same things was I selfish to keep her with us so long? But when I would think she was getting badm, she would surprise me and eat and hold it down for a few days or a week even. But Thursday she got so sick throwing up and fell over and I picked her up and just held her and cried...it was really bad and then she threw up some red chunky stuff and I was told it was most likely her stomach lining from her throwing up so much. Then my husband said to me we cant let her go any longer like this, she is getting worse..I couldnt bare to do this..but I know that I would be selfish if I didnt do it. I was having surch a hard time with this. We took her to the vet Friday and I held her and talked to her as they put her to sleep. I kept asking my self did we do the right thing? I know it was right, but why does it feel so wrong inside..I prayed that GOD would take her Thursday night so we didnt have to do this..but it didnt happen and we had to make the choice that I so wished I didnt have to make..She was so weak and fragile and she would just want me to hold her all the time..I babied her so much and my other dog is so sad..he misses her to and I havent washed her blanket yet, I cant bring my self to do it..I smelled it when I got home and just cried...I know we did the right thing but I feel so bad inside..My other dog knows cause when I cry he comes to me and just looks at me like I miss her to..I told him she was very sick and we had to let her go with GOD and all the dogs that go to heaven..My husband told me ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN and he said she has no more sickness and she is happy and we will see her again some day..I just feel for anyone who has or had made this choice its not easy because our puppies are our family and we love them so much and they are helpless...and we do all we can for them....to make them comfortable..Thank you for your posts it made me feel better knowing that we did do the right thing....
I found this site on my Internet search for information, as much info as I could get, on kidney failure. My sweet baby girl, Cassy, a 14 3/4 year old husky, was diagnosed on Tuesday. I noticed she hadn't eaten on Friday morning but nothing really noticeable out of the ordinary otherwise. I took her to my bf's house on Friday afternoon. She drank all the water she could find and then promptly threw it up. She has thrown up in the past (normally after eating grass) so I still wasn't sure anything was wrong. She was pretty sleepy but at almost 15, who would expect any different. On Saturday afternoon, Cassy and I headed home. There was a 24hr/7 day/wk clinic on the way and I almost stopped as my vet wasn't available. I thought she was in pain as she suffered from an arthritic condition in her hind end as a result of an injury incurred after chasing a cat in a farm field at least 10 years ago. One missed step in a groundhog hole (or so I think) and she was a bit limpy ever since. So, as she was not quite herself, I thought I would finally give in to getting her Meticam (I was trying holistics for about 2 months but couldn't tell if they were helping). Then I thought I would just give her aspirin until I could get in to see my vet on Monday to get his opinion as Meticam is hard on them. So, I gave her a few aspirin over the evening and next day. She wasn't interested in food except for her home-made liver treats. She threw up Sunday night so I stopped the aspirin and let her be until I could get her in the next morning to her vet. He did blood work and shared the results on Tuesday morning - kidney failure. Her Creatin level 807 (60-100 is normal), uric nitrogen 37 (3-10 is normal), and phosphorus 4.5 (0.8-2.2 is normal). I was shocked as other than not eating well, she was behaving more or less normal (except being a bit tired). I looked into therapy options and had her to the vet later Tuesday morning for IV fluids which continued for three days in an attempt to kick start the kidneys. She stopped eating on her own Wednesday morning so I used a syringe to get down what ever wholesome pureed food I could. She stopped drinking on her own on Thursday. I also contacted a holistic vet who did acupuncture on her last night (Thursday) which she tolerated quite well - almost fell asleep. Still never drank and stopped tolerating me sticking a syringe in her mouth every 1.5 hours Thursday night. She started drooling and soiled herself a few times Thursday night (humiliated no doubt as this is a VERY clean dog). I was up to check on her most of the night as she could no longer get up open her own, I tried to get her outside for bathroom (urination stopped Thursday as well and diarrhea started). After she went inside (around 1am) I took her outside which she really wanted as she LOVED it outside. Left her until around 5am. She was content (10C overnight which is very comfortable for her) but did soil twice more over that time. Brought her inside at 5am. Made her comfortable and lay with her stroking her beautiful thick, lush grey and white coat. Didn't sleep and was up and down checking on her. Tried to get Tums dissolved in water down but no luck. Lay with her - thought I was going to lose her in my arms. Called the vet as soon as they opened at 8am. My vet called 5 minutes later and I brought her in to the clinic. She passed at about 9am. I loved this dog with every ounce of my being...I will always love her. She is with her companion now who I lost 2 years ago to a burst spleen ulcer. Her name was Sydney and she was a lab/golden/collie mix. She was also 14 3/4. I got Cassy for Syd actually but she became my girl very quickly. My head hurts, is swimming. I can't believe how quickly all this happened. I lost my grand dad to kidney failure last year around this time too. In humans it is not painful and according to doc's, a 'nice' way to go. Thank you for taking the time to write your stories, as hard as they were. This site helped me through this morning as I read it before (while making the decision) and after. If I can give two pieces of friendly, dog-loving advice, it is get their blood work done every 6 months when they get older (or when they start experiencing other problems). If I caught this a bit earlier, maybe treatment would have helped. And, do what is best for them. My girl had the most incredible brown eyes. When I saw the glazed look and eye boogers (which she always cleaned up), and her frustration with not being able to get up that last day from being so weak, I knew I couldn't let her continue to suffer. I will carry Cassy in my heart always, as I do my Sydney. I rescued Cassy from a shelter also at 9 months old and have loved her every day for just over 14 years (even when she was naughty - she was a husky so believe me, she could be naughty). For anyone reading that is going through this right now, hang in there! You know what's right for your beloved pet and you will know when the right time is. It will hurt more than almost anything you have ever experienced (if it doesn't already to see them slipping). But take comfort that that you chose each other and have had this time on Earth together living, loving, laughing, petting, scratching.....see you in my dreams my Sweetheart! All my love!
Both your dogs were very lucky to have such a loving and caring owner.  I know you would have liked to have them around much longer, but to live to almost 15 for big dogs is great, and a tribute to the great care and love you gave them.  I'm sure they are now  running and playing together. Take Care.
My dog Sheba was diagnosed with Kidney Failure about two weeks ago. She spent a week in the hospital and has been on subcutaneous fluids for about a week now. My dog is in Boston with my parents but I live in Chicago and i'm hoping she can hold on until I go home on Friday (today is sunday). I didn't think she's as far along as some of the dogs I've read about on here. However, this morning my family called me to tell me they think she's had a seizure. I skyped them and saw her. She seemed to have recovered - she's drinking water, urinating and walking around. I'm just not sure how far along she is and was hoping someone could tell me at what point their dogs started to seizure. Sheba's had a great life, she's an 11/12 year old pitbul, the sweetest dog in the world and very much a part of our family, like all of your dogs. I don't want her to suffer but I want to be there with her when she goes.....
I think my dog is losing the battle with this as we speak.  She's a 14 year old italian greyhound -- Halley.  I love this dog, and I am sitting her bawling my eyes out reading all these stories.  I sense it is close to time for her... she ate last night, but then I held her close & cried with her & told her to tell me if it was time... and she just trembled, shook, she is SO thin.  Probably 5 lb. at this time -- down from 7, her norm.  She is SO frail.  Falls often.  Skiddish... today I found poop in the crate & vomit... and then she just vomited again.  She hasn't eaten yet today -- it's poop-smelling & from last night.  Smells awful -- looks awful.  Her mouth smells soooo bad - - like death, as my husband puts it.  We love her, but we hate to see her struggling.  She is blind -- due to an unrelated condition.  She stumbles a lot -- back legs lock up -- yet she can still get up & down our 7-8 steps.  She's had 2 accidents inside the past few days -- trying to blame MYSELF for not getting her out, but I am not sure I can.  She is drinking SO MUCH still -- though not today. Seems so nauseous.  Eyes seem glazed over.  She is not herself.  She has black, flaky, sticky stuff all over her mouth -- I clean it off, it seems sore?, and it's back the next day.  It's all over our bedding & sticky & on us when we hold her.  She's been declining for awhile now... I just felt like if she's eating/drinking, SURELY she is OK.  However, today I sense something different... more of a decline.  Vomiting has begun.  I was using metrodizanole (sp?) from the vet every 3rd day for her... hate to stress her body anymore than I have to.  Using Standard Process Canine Renal Support -- but she SO hates it -- won't eat food with it on top (a powder) -- so I just dump it down her throat, and she is miserable!  I hate to make her life worse here in the end, but I also don't want to not do what I should to help her.

How do I know when the time has come?  I sense it's near... but I do NOT want to let her go.  I love her -- our first baby.  The most precious, sweet dog.  My husband & I are distraught!  How do I know when to let her go?  When to help her not suffer anymore?  She's SO shaky on her feet, SO weak, SO skinny/frail -- all bones!  And now the vomiting, accidents, etc.  I just hate seeing her suffer... but don't want to do something prematurely either.

Thanks... heartbroken!

Ging
Hello...I'm So sorry your here for this...I tried to copy your original post and post it as a new question, but I couldn't figure it out.....Sorry.

The fact that you "sense something different" I believe is your sign....The  glazed over eyes means she's dying......I do not know how long it will take....I wish I did....

Here is a suggestion: You can call your Vet and ask for a tranquilizer to give her before you take her in....Course, you'll have to leave home to go get it....When I had to do this, I had one at home, ready to go.....It will make her basically go to sleep at home and she will not know where she's going......

If she'll eat, let her have anything she wants....Don't make her take the Renal Support that she hates.....It is useless, now......

My heart is with you and I'm crying too, as I try to send this message to you......

It will be the hardest thing you will have to do, but because you love her so, you'll have the strength to do it.....

Tell her how much you love her and what a wonderful girl she has been all these years.
She will understand......Tell her that she does not have to stay here for you and that you will be fine!.....Try Not to be upset in front of her (Although I know this is impossible) as she will pick up on your heartache and try to stay longer......

This decision is yours alone to make..... Yes, you will question yourself & that is part of grief.......Whatever you decide, it will be the right......

Please, kiss her for me, too......As now my heart is broken, again......You are all in my thoughts and prayers.......Karla
THANK YOU for the super kind response... I just got off the phone with the vet.  He wants us to run bloodwork & see where it all is & then if it's super high, he thinks we should not allow her to suffer anymore & put her to sleep.  OMG.  Not sure I am strong enough for that.  Honestly.  I want to be there for her -- but just soooo hard thinking about that.  I don't want to lose her!  She was our first baby.  Love her so much.

THANKS for the kind words... so nice that someone else gets it & what our dogs mean to us.  

xo Ging
Ging....Are you still OK?  I keep hoping some of the other members will come by and leave you a reply.....There are quite a few here that can express, what your going through, much better than I did....I don't know where everyone is today....Maybe they'll be on real soon......

Until then, I just wanted to check on you and see how things are going.....Karla

I wanted to let you know... we went to the vet this afternoon with Halley.  We did bloodwork first to see where things were.  I couldn't bear to make a difficult decision w/o knowing whether or not I was doing the right thing & things were in fact as bad as I thought.

Her BUN was greater than 140 -- that's where their machine maxes out & she was higher than that.  Her Creatinine was 4.64 or somewhere around there... both end stage renal failure, he said.  She had soooo many things going on.  He said he thought she was suffering, dehydrated, starving to death, and in pain.  Our decision was made.

We cried with her -- and watched HER shed a tear like a human with us -- told her goodbye, and then watched her slip away.  It was the hardest thing I've ever done.  My head is throbbing from all the crying.  I miss her so much.  We have another italian greyhound who is 1 year younger than her -- he misses her, it's so evident.  Keeps looking for her.  Ears up, eyes wide -- cannot find her.  It's heartbreaking.

Had to come home & explain it all to our 11.5 year old son.  Who bawled.  We bawled.  I've cried SO MUCH today.  

Miss her - feel the hole in our family - and wonder how life will go on the same w/o her.  It won't... but we are all so much better because she was in our lives.  

THANK YOU for the support when I most needed it, Karla.  Appreciate it SO MUCH.

xo Ging
I am so sorry for what you've been through with you dog, its  the most heartbreaking thing that can happen to a pet owner, but yet has to be done.  You tried everything to help Halley, please find some comfort in that.  She was a very lucky dog to have a family that loved her so much, and I'm sure she repaid you for it in many ways.  Take Care.
Ging,  Without a doubt, "Grief is the price we pay for Love."  And it *****!  
I'm always amazed at how many tears a human body can make....Just when I always thought  there could not be one more; there always was.....Why is that?

Please know that you gave her the greatest gift of all; relief from illness & pain!  I know it's awful, but with time, you will be able to smile about her instead of cry.....

Take extra care of Halley's fur brother as he is grieving, too. I assume by their ages that they were together most of their lives....He may not want to eat without her...Especially, if they always ate together......Keep an open eye out for that....He will get better, but it will take awhile.....

Try not to remember the end so much, but the great many years prior to that....You must have really taken good care of them both to be 13 & 14...Wow! Take pride in that!

I'm so very sorry for your loss & hope time will heal your heart....Come back and keep us updated on things or hang around and stay......God bless you and yours.....

"Run free little Halley~ You were very much Loved~ One of the lucky ones!"

Sincerely, Karla

I picked up Halley's ashes yesterday -- quicker than I expected & WAY HARDER than I expected.  The second I walked into the vet's office & the receptionist said, "Can I help you?"  I could barely get the words out... "I need to pick up my doggy's ashes..." And she asked her name, and I think I squeaked out "Halley" in between sobs.  It was horrible.  

But they gave me a beautiful wood box with our name & her name & her birth date & the day she died on the bottom.  It was very touching.  But soooo painful to think of her in that way.  I miss her physical body/being so much around here.  

Our older dog is still searching for her... looking high & low.  It's so sad.  But he is eating... though only once per day.  Better than not at all.

I SO KNOW that the decision we made was the right one.  I KNOW it was her time.  Thinking back, I wouldn't have done it any sooner, and I wouldn't have done it any later.  It's just that I didn't want to have to watch her go EVER.  There is never a "good" time for saying goodbye to your "child!"  Love & miss her so very much.  I see the box & her collar & just well up.  

I picked up the collar & the little tag jingled & our other dog -- her cratemate -- came running as if he thought she were back.  I felt awful -- let him sniff her collar & he did but then looked away.  I think I broke his heart.  :(

Picked out & ordered myself a gorgeous tribute necklace from here:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/54266977/double-stacked-i-love-you-to-the-moon -- instead of that quote, we used this one:   ...to love and to be loved

I thought it was fitting.  Adding both of our dogs' names to it.  Just seemed like the right thing to do.  

Anyway -- THANKS A MILLION for your support when I most needed it.  We are going to be OK -- just so hard adjusting to life without our dear Halley.  What an amazing, sweet little girl she was.

Much love to you & yours...  Ging
I am so glad I found your site. We found out a month ago our 3 year old Sadie, who is a yellow lab. Has chronic Kidney failure. They told us she would not live through the weekend. Fortunately they were wrong and she is still here. We are feeding her people food mixed with some high quality dog foods.  She is still eating very well.  She trembles some and sleeps alot.  Her spirit is better now that she is on antibiotics and antacids.  We are giving her a good vitamin and something for hypertension.  Next tuesday we do another blood workup. Keep your fingers crossed. This dog is the love of our life. We raised 6 children who are all out of the house now and the joke is we love the dog more than we love them. haha.  Any advise would be great.
I'm not familuar with kidney failure in a dog, but I do know what its like to have the kids gone and have your best friend get sick.  You want to do anything possible to help them, and it sounds like you are.  Your dog is very lucky to have such good owners who love her so much.  Good Luck.
I left my beautiful black lab 3 weeks ago in the UK with my parents so I could start a new life abroad with my husband.  Just got the call last night to say that she was ill and the vet has diagnosed her with the final stages of kidney failure.  The vet says she can go at any time.  My mother says she won't eat, is being sick and now can't get into the car.  Its such a shock as only 3 weeks ago, she was bounding about full of beans without a care in the world and we didn't see any signs.  It's her 10th birthday today and I'm online here just booking my flight back so I can be with her while she goes to sleep.  The only comfort that I have is knowing that my husband and I gave her 10 years filled with love and happiness.  Even though I'm writing this all down, I can't get my head around it.  Before we were told of her illness, I had contemplated just going back home as I missed her so much.  She went through all my happiness and tears and I can't imagine life without her.  She's my best friend.
How did things go?  You are right, keep reminding yourself that you gave her ten really good years, she was a lucky dog, but I'm sure she gave you a lot more in return.
Found this forum searching for information on 'what to expect' at this point in the game. Imagine this. Julio, long haired chihuahua, born on Valentine's Day -- my husband's birthday too -- at home, delivered with 2 sisters. In 1991. Julio would celebrate his 20th birthday next year. In the past 5 years we've lost his mom and 3 sisters. Mom had kidney disease, diagnosed 'by accident' and was gone from us in less than a week. At 18, Julio was in a car wreck, where airbag deployed. He was shaken and the at-fault party's insurance paid his vet bill. Good news. Bad news: blood levels indicated kidney disease. That was a year and a half ago. We started special diet, sub-q fluids once a week. Over the past 18 months, we're up to daily fluids and now he is visibly failing, vomiting and sleeping non-stop. His breath is like his mom's was when she passed. My husband is in complete denial. He sees 'bounce back' at every turn. Each time Julio takes two or three steps, he says, "look, he's doing much better." I feel like I am the only one who sees how horribly he has deteriorated and how he is beginning to truly suffer. I don't want to be the one to make the decision, and pray each night now that Julio will just sleep, and peacefully cross the rainbow bridge. I thought I wouldn't be able to read these stories today and that they would just make me angrier. I am grateful to those who have shared, and understand deeply in my heart how you all must have felt when you learned and respect your love and courage on behalf of your babies. God bless you all.
You have done an outstanding job of raising a dog to live to be nineteen, my chart says that makes him 92 in human years, and my chart only goes up to 20, which proves that it does't happen that often.  Another member had this poem posted awhile back, I thought it was good.  Your dog is very lucky to have such a loving owner.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come-please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend.
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see,
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve-it must be you,
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
I found out 3 weeks ago that my beloved Barney of 16 years is in Kidney failure.  At the present time he seems normal.  Has a terrific appetite and is drinking.  He had thrown up a few times but seems to be keeping things down.  We started on a wholistic regimen and have seen improvement. However; I spoke with the vet and his numbers seem worse.  We were both a little shocked.  I keep hoping it is a mis-diagnosis or something.  I'm not sure what to expect down the road but I keep asking God to not let him suffer.  I don't want to make the decision but pray God will have mercy on him and not let him suffer.  I pray for healing mostly but realize his is 16.  Up until now the only health problem he had was arthritis.  I don't think I have stopped crying for the last 3 weeks and don't want to upset Barney.  He has been the best companion you could ever ask for.  
My girl Amber is suffering from chronic failure as well. I have started my own thread here http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/Chronic-Failure/show/1503435.  Karla recommended me to go through this thread. And I must confess that I am shattered after going through this whole thread. I feel for each one of you who have lost their baby and also who are fighting from this period.  I must say that you guys are very very strong mentally. 
Good news is at the moment Amber is doing well. She is eating well and not throwing up for past 2 weeks and it looks like she has gained some weight as well. Everything is looking back to normal and she is quite active as well. I will be taking her to my vet next week for routine BUN and Creatinine test. I am sure she is recovering as we can see the good results.  At the moment she is on homemade kidney diet. And I was thinking of giving her some sort of snacks and juices. One of my close friends told me to give her fruit juice Water melon and Sugercane etc.  Guys please advise if it’s good for her also I will appreciate if you could let me know some good snacks and other stuff which is good for my baby.  
Also do we have any special diets and medicine to lower down the level of BUN, Creatinine and Phosphate binding foods and supplements? Sorry for throwing up too many questions once again.  

Thanks for your support Karla and all the forum members. So far your suggestions have been working well for my girl and I am hoping for the miracle.

Regards,
Sunil

My 6 year old Maltese, Frisky...has been diagnosed with kidney failure yesterday. We are in shocked! this is my first baby..I love him to death! I feel like I am going to die with him...everyone tells me I have to be strong for my kids(6 and 4) but I just cannot..this is MY FIRST BABY we are talking about..I feel my heart is going to burst..I feel I am in the worst nightmare!..this cannot happen to my Frisky..he is WAY TO YOUNG...Iknow you cannot ever be prepared for something like this..but he is too young...Oh GOD......................
   He's been admitted to a specialty hospital where they put ivs in him ...his creatine level was up to 12..they hope to bring it down...I guess buying more time..for us..for him..he will be there for 3 nights...this is the first night...I HATE it he is not with me..I want him in my arms...i just hope they can make him feel little better bring his creatine numbers down...cannot wait for tomorrow untill I go and visit him...oh I miis you Frisky...I just cannot see life without you...my sweet little babyy.....
Hi,  I've been reading the posts on this website,  I can relate with you and your Sandy Grace.  We are going through that with our cocker spaniel right now,  her name is Puppers.  She is 13 years old,  and in the final stages of kidney failure.   So far,   she'll still eat,  but getting fussy about it.  She still wants to take her walks,  and still wags her tail at times.  But she is getting weaker and weaker,  and sleeps a lot.   I've always said,  that I'll know when 'it's time',,,,   I hope that's true.  She and I 'connect',   sounds silly,  but she and I have a way of understanding each other.   She's such a sweet dog,   we rescued her when she was 5,   she was being beat at her first home.  (can't understand how people can abuse animals...)
A week ago yesterday,   we had to put down our other cocker,  Tuffy,  he had hemangiosarcoma,  and the cancer had attacked his liver, and it was bleeding out.  He got weak so quickly,  so we had to have him 'put to rest',  and it was so, so hard to do.    Fortunately,  my friend is a Vet Tech and she came to our home,  Tuffy laid on the couch, and I was petting him,  and he was licking my face,  like he was trying to comfort me.   My heart is still aching for Tuffy,  but I'm trying to give my attention to Puppers,,,  and help her final days,  happy ones.   I'm wondering how I will know,   but somehow,   I know she'll tell me when it's 'time'.
I understand all the posts I've read on this site,  and I can relate to all of you,  who have lost their beloved pets.   Sending love and prayers to all of you pet lovers.    Much love,  from Puppers and Judy
My dog Silver is a 14 year old mini-schnauzer/poodle mix and dying from kidney failure.

It's been such a drastic change over the past 3 days. He vomited for 2 days, we brought him to the vet, and that's when we discovered about the failing kidneys. He has completely stopped eating, and only drinks plain water. He has refused all prescription food, any food at all, and obviously the medicine. He rejects water too for most part of the day.

The doctor gave us a sodium chloride drip (100ml, twice a day). It makes him pee (but all white, nothing is being eliminated) at the very least but he is so very weak. He stands for hours, just staring into space. He used to be so very responsive to me, but now he doesn't seem to hear me. I think he is delirious. It pains me that he is not resting properly, just keeps standing. He's been on the drip for 2 days. I asked the vet and seems like the drip can sustain him but it's gonna be a very cruel existance. I could hospitalise him for a couple hundred but I don't see how it would help him except to prolong him for awhile more.

He doesn't look like he's in pain yet. Everyone says I will know when it's time, but I really don't know. He's such a fighter (doesn't even flinch when Dad pokes the needle in) that I'm afraid he won't give up so easily. I'm a firm believer of fasting for good health (I fast occasionally too to cleanse myself) and I can't help but believe that there is a reason why my dog is not eating -- he is allowing his system to recover. But the vet says that he we don't force him to eat, it's just going to get worse.

I am so torn. I'm afraid I want to put him to sleep not because he is giving up, but because I'm giving up. I don't know if I should wait till he's suffering before I put him down. Or I should put him down while he still is still aware of us around him (at times).

You know, the worst part of it all, is that I've had him since I was 14. I was young, reckless, an animal lover, and wanted a dog. My parents took care of him in the end. I'm 28 this year and always felt that I've lived life with no regrets, but my greatest regret was to adopt a dog when I neither had the money nor ability nor time to take care of a dog. He has suffered from neglect and I can't even let him go saying 'He's had a good life'. I will never keep another pet again. Animal lover does not equate to a good owner.

I keep talking to him to give up if he needs to. I really hope I won't have to make the hardest decision. This is so difficult.
My greyhound nanny has this chronic disease, vet said she has 6 weeks left max ,she had a bad kidney infection 18 months ago we thought we
would lose her then but she recovered .we are devistated ,not much else
I can say, she is still eating and drinking ,doing small meals 3/4 times a day ,burgers, liver and chicken with pasta ,not too much liver as its high in vitamin A ..Just really trying to make her as comfortable and happy as
can be ..  thanks colin
shoe u have not done anything wrong stop killing urself with guilt ,the fact
you are posting on here shows u love ur dog ,,
nanny would have been 8 next january 24th
Colin....my heart aches for you and your dog. On Sept 6 of this year, I was told my Yorkie...Two-Bits...was in Stage 3 kidney failure.... (She was having diarrhea,vomiting,shivering, sleeping very heavily all day, had very littlle interest in eating, or going for her walk...had trouble holding her urine long enough to make it outside )....I decided that I would give Sub Q fluids..( to help flush toxins, and keep her hydrated )  along with Sucralfate and Famotidine...( for possible ulcers )...also was told to give Metroclopramide to ease vomiting....I did this for a week.  Her symptoms did not seem to improve much. I was suppose to bring her to the vet after the week of treatments, to get another blood draw so we could retest, and see if the treatments were working.  Two-bits did not like her visits to the vets office, and it was suggested, by the vet, that on the day I brought her in, to get retested, I could go ahead and give her 1/4 of a valium tablet, to....as the vet put it,  "take the edge off" and help her relax alittle.  I did give her the valium, because I wanted to make her visit less stressful. That was at 9 am in the morning...Sept 12Th...Everything at the vets office seemed to go well, and the techs felt that the valium had helped her to be less anxious.  That was at 10 am.....Two-bits seemed fine...we took her home, and she took a nap. At 3pm she woke up, and could not stand,could not walk, could not hold her head up....was breathing rapidly...and my husband and I thought she must be dying....so we took her to the vets, and asked if it might be the valium making her act that way....we were told, that they couldn't be sure, but did not think so.....They said that valium is typically short lived and felt it should have been out of her system by then....especially since the dose we gave her was only half of what is normally prescribed.  Reluctantly....we had her euthanized....I have regreted that decision ever since...It haunts me.  I feel as though the valium tricked me into thinking that she was near death. The research I have done leaves me wondering....She was 15 years old....the vet said she could have weeks to months left to live, with treatment....the internet says months to years with treatment....now I feel like I cut her life too short....I know Chronic Kidney Disease is not curable.  Treatment is really a supportive measure to slow the progression, and ease symptoms.  I guess what really bothers me, is that I feel like I didn't get the chance to try to help her, as much as I wanted too. I love her so much.  Help your dog and yourself....and do as much research as you can, before he is gone....My research Which is now too late, does lead me to believe that the combination of Metroclopramide..(which was given at 3 am...and the valium that was given at 9 am...were both delayed in getting into her system..(because of poor kidney function)....and they both peaked at 3pm in her system, causing the behaviors that made me think she was dying.)  Metroclopramide and Valium ( diazepam ) should be given with extreme caution in dogs with decreased kidney function.
What have I learned....
1. Do the research before it is too late.
2. Everything I did, was because of my love for her...and if it was a mistake, the best I can hope for is to learn from it.....
3. If you have.... ANY DOUBTS.....about wheather it is time to have your dog euthanized....then.... IT IS NOT TIME.
4.Guilt is harder to deal with than doubt.
Colin...I love and miss Two-bits so much....my thoughts are with you during this very difficult time...I know that whatever decisions you make for Nanny  will be made because you love her, and that is never wrong.  I will be sure to say a prayer for you both...give her lots of hugs and kisses, and let her know she is the best friend in the world...Connie
Thanks very much for your reply ,the vet has said its hardly worth doing a kidney flush ,her words were its time to prepare for her passing ,that her
kidneys have packed up ,nanny is still alert ,she will not eat her regular
food but will eat chicken/turkey/and suprisingly eaw eggs in the morning ,she is going for small walks etc ,she
has been sick a couple of times in last 4 days ,this disease is evil its so hard to watch something you love just dieing ,the main problem is trying
to stop weight loss ..
We had a yorkie ourselfs max lovely dog, we had to have him put to sleep
he was aged 16 ,he had ,had chrones disease for about a year ,to be honest I think we waited too long in his case he really didnt know what was going on in the end .
Im thinking of getting a second opinion and trying a kidney flush anyway
if it dont work nothing lost  .. thanks a lot ,any updates I will post here ..

colin
The posts here  are  heartbreaking ,,its just so unfair ..Ill post later and let people know whats happening, nannysmum is off to find some tums hopefully they will help for a few days if she has that long left ,I gave her half a phenergan last nite after she ate she has not  been sick today so perhaps they help as well ,the weight loss is unreal and that alone will
lead to us making a decision ,our whole lives revolve around her holidays that she will enjoy etc ,we are always talking about her ,the void that will be left will be extreme .. bye for now .
Hi Colin...
Yes, the posts are heartbreaking....I started to read many of them, and had to stop....But I can say that it is somehow comforting to know that our dogs have people who love them so very much. They are our family, our children.
I am so hoping that the efforts you and your wife are making, will help give Nanny some extra time to be with you. It sounds like you and your wife are doing a wonderful job to give her the best care you can.....Nanny is in good hands.  I will be praying for you all, My thoughts are with you...I will be watching for your updates.
Connie
I am so sorry to hear about Silver....do you have any updates....?  
Nannysdad is right....you wouldn't be posting on this site, if you didn't love your dog.
Connie
Any updates on Barney....Amber....Frisky... Puppers or Silver...?
Connie
Nanny spent the day in vets yesterday having IV fluids ,she came home looking better ,then she ate chicken and pasta ,2 hours later she vomited
the vomit is full of foam obviously acid ,we have zantac tablets which she is now taking also anti nausea tablets ,and another lot of tablets to make her eat which she has just taken ,we will give her 1 or 2 days more but
I am not prepaired to watch her suffer her mouth has small burns from the acid already ,I would do anything humanly possible for her ,our hearts are
broke looking at her ,but we can do nothing ,I would just like to give some
advice to anyone else who reaches this stage ,and that is not to fight a
fight you cannot win it is not fair on your dog ,let them go with what ever
dignity they have left ,nanny is a pround beautiful dog ,she wants my help
but i cant help her ,I will love her forever amd miss her longer ,but you have
to be brave and strong ,this disease is worse than cancer at least with
that there is a certain amount of pain management and even a chance of
recovery ,with kidney failure there is neither for dogs ..
She is still walking she is still responding ,but most of all she is DYING
if it were me me i would not want to spend weeks vomiting acid and in pain
there is pain if your stomach is full of acid and ur mouth is burnt and it
will get worse an worse ,as ive said ill give her another day or two see if we
can control the acid and get her to eat again failing that ,we will say goodbye to our darling angel .
on another 2 points ,she is stretching alot ,and appears to be in discomfort while passing urine ,both down to acid being in her stomach .

A tip for people giving tablets, to crush them ,get two table spoons
place the tablet in bottom spoon then put the other spoon on top
and press down till crushed ,  u have the tablet
ready in the spoon to give to ur dog,  if u have someone with you get them to hold his mouth open and put cushed tablet on tongue ,most of tablet will
then be consumed as he cant get it out as it will start to dissolve and stick
to his tounge a syringe of water can then be fired in to complete the process :-) fortunately im able to open nannys mouth and place tablets on back of her tongue ,while holding her mouth open ,not something i would
advise everyone to do :-)
Colin....after you crush the tablets...add a small amount of fluid....suck it up into a small medicinal syringe and then give it to Nanny that way.... If you don't have a 5ml syringe...you can get one from the vet, or any pharmacy Target Walmart etc.  .... they can usually be found in the childrens aisle by the cold medicines.........also, she may be willing to eat some crushed ice.
I'm so sorry that you and Nanny have to go through this....my thoughts are with you many times a day.....I check this site every couple of hours....thank you for the updates....I wish there was something I could do to help. You are good Parents for Nanny.....and she knows it.  
Connie
Colin....also, my vet was giving Two-bits an injection of Cerinia to control vomiting and nausea....she said it works for 24 hrs....it did seem to help.
Connie