Dogs Community
Can this be cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Can this be cancer?

My dog Barney is almost 9.  He has a lump, similar to a lipoma but it's not.  It's located under his right front leg in his rib area. It may have gotten a little bigger in the past month...it's about a 2" oval lump.  Considering that it's not a lipoma, is there anything it could be besides some kind of cancer?  He's an Australian Shepard mix.
Oh, well that's good. It might well have been an abscess...
But if it was a cyst (benign cyst) it might still fill up again. I'm only saying that so you won't be too worried if it should return.
It might, and it might not of course. Not really anything to worry about, as such, but if it is a cyst that is inclined to recur, with infection in it, it would be better removed.

You see, a cyst is like a little capsule, and sometimes the inner part drains, but the 'skin' of the capsule remains, so that is why they can sometimes fill up again.

However that doesn't always happen. My dog has had little cysts that have suddenly disappeared and never come back.
You know the only way to find out for sure is the vet It could be benign and harmless but you have to make sure as with any unexplained lump.
Sometimes the Vet can tell without a biopsey...but it is his call no good guessing is it.?
Are you certain it's not a lipoma? Have you had it diagnosed/biopsied or whatever? Has the vet told you it's not a lipoma? In which case, what did the vet say it was?

My dog has a lipoma in exactly the same spot you mention, and hers has grown bigger over the years. But she has had hers definitely diagnosed as being benign, with no danger of turning malignant.

Many lumps are NOT cancer, but the only way to be certain is to get them properly diagnosed, or even needle-biopsied.
I did take him in to the Vet and she said she was pretty sure it wasn't a lipoma, which I had thought it was just by the way it felt.  She wanted me to watch it  and bring him in if it gets noticeably bigger. She said there's a chance it could be something like a burr or thorn that had been encapsulated.  Ginger, did your vet do a needle biopsy th determine that the lump was benign? I guess we'll just have to "wait and see."
My dog has numerous lumps, and three breast lumps that feel horrible! Yes, they have all been needle-biopsied (poor doggy, I hate putting her through that, but have to) In the case of the breast lumps, each one was needle-biopsied in 3 separate places. They are all benign.

Your vet has a point. Cysts containing fluid, or sometimes fat and fluid can develop around an embedded object. Sometimes by the feel of a cyst, the vet can more or less tell you what it is,  90% sure, but of course there is no proof without a biopsy.
Hey everyone, Barney's lump  must have festered, then drained.  He just has a tiny little scab where it was.  I can't tell you all how relieved I am.

Thanks Ginger and everybody for your help.  I will still check on it often, just in case but I think he's going to be fine.  I'm just so relieved it wasn't cancer.