Dogs Community
Cost of Bladder Stone Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Cost of Bladder Stone Surgery

Please tell me what the average cost for bladder stone surgery is for a 22 lb shitzu?
Hi there. I don't know the cost of bladder stone surgery, but I wanted to pass on some information, and a warning, that I hope will be helpful about this condition. A couple of months ago we lost our beloved 7-year-old lab to complications from bladder stones. She showed no symptoms at all of a bladder or urinary condition until early one Sunday morning when she was unable to urinate at all. We immediately took her to the vet, her bladder was drained and they did an ultrasound that clearly showed bladder stones. The vet thought the condition could be treated with meds (antibiotics) and a special acidic food that should dissolve the stones. During her vet visit she had an injected sedative, then as the exam got more physical she was given inhaled anesthesia, then before we took her home she was given an injected pain med. According to the vet, it was all very routine and no problems were anticipated, but several hours later our dog just stopped breathing. No one is sure what happened, but I suspect she either had a reaction to the meds or the anesthesia, or a combination of all three. I'm sure the vet did everything right, it was just one of those things. But my advice to you is, please, PLEASE if your dog has bladder stones, do something about it NOW. The chances of complications increase if the stones get too large and block urination. And often, damage is being done before you ever see symptoms. If your vet doesn't think that a special dog food made for this condition will help, and if he's recommending surgery, please schedule it right away, or you might face the loss of your dog.  It cost us $400 for that Sunday morning vet visit, but I'd have paid even more if she had just shown syptoms (symptoms) earlier than she did. The earlier something like this is detected and treated, either through diet or surgery, the more likely of a positive outcome.

And if surgery is recommended, and it's a little pricey for you, talk to your vet about payment arrangements. Most of them are willing to set up a payment schedule for things like this.

But again, please don't wait to do whatever the vet recommends. Our vet said those stones grow very, very fast and can cause a lot of discomfort, even if your dog isn't showing any symptoms.

Hope it all goes well for you and your dog.
I have a 14lb yorkie dachshund mix who is almost 8 years old. She was just diagnosed with bladder stones (3 of them) and based off of the size and shape, the vet does not believe that they can be dissolved. The surgery estimate given is $1,600-2,000.

I hope that this helps and that your little pup feels better soon.
I think the cost of something like that varies a lot, based on your location and even among different vets locally.  In my part of the US, you could probably get it done for less than $1000.  But if you were in New York City, I'm certain it would be a lot higher, maybe twice as high or even more.  Your vet who is proposing to do the surgery should be able to give you a pretty close estimate.  
Just received an estimate to remove bladder stones from my bichon, range was 1450-2200 , debating on what to do as this is a major surgery and trauma for the dog to go through and the stones may reoccur .  I don;t think its fair to put my dog through this trauma and once you go down that medical path there is no turning back.  

Unfortunately they tell me diet is not an option to dissolve the stones at this stage.  
In 2007, my bijon frise had surgery to remove stones caused by crystal (calcium oxcalate) buildup. Today, I took my dog in for a checkup and ended up with emergency surgery, for a second time for the exact same thing: to yet again, removes stones (as confirmed with X-rays). I have two questions:
1. Is $3,000-3,500 CDN the going rate for this kind of surgery (stones were in the bladder and penis) price includes all the X-rays, surgery, meds, tests, etc all in? (I have read half that rate is more like what it should be.) How can I price-shop for this sort of surgery and ensure I have a good doctor, and the same procedure at a fair price. (Going to a second vet for a 2nd opinion will cost me for a visit etc.)
2. My dog had been on a strict 'Urinary SO' food diet (only) since his last surgery and his PH today pre-surgery, was 8, in other words, the re-growth seems not to be diet related. Other than having him drink more water(?, seems like a lame answer, he drinks regularly, and how do you make him drink more anyway?) I thought we did everything right. I know bijons are pre-disposed to this but  what could we do to prevent a 3rd operation?
I just had my Shih Tzu in today. An ultra sound showed a good sized stone that cannot be passed. It is highly unlikely it is one that could be dissolved.
Today was a $200 visit. He will need blood work & an xray before surgery.

The surgery estimate is $1,000-1300.
$4,700 was the high end estimate here in Long Island, New York / $4,300 was the low end estimate.  Are they taking out his calcium stones and putting gold in?????????? I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm being overcharged!!!
Hello & welcome.....Do you happen to have a Veterinary Teaching School in your area? All surgeries at Teaching Universities are about half of what a specialist charges.....Although students perform the surgery, they are VERY well supervised!

Your suspicion is correct! Good Lord, I DO believe your being overcharged! $4700 is a ridiculous amount for a common stone surgery.....I don't care where you live.....You need to shop around!

For the other above posters: These stones can grow so large that the bladder or Kidneys can explode! Opting out is NOT an option for any reason!

How to Drink more water? Add 1/2 canned food to the diet...Fresh fruits and vegetables are moisture rich, also.....Add them to his/her bowls daily...IMO eating only dry food is what creates this problem...That would be like us having to eat only cereal every meal for life! We'd be severely dehydrated, too!  Nothing to keep the kidneys & bladder flushed & hydrated...

I have a houseful of Bichons & Poodles (Every age, mostly Seniors).....We've never had a stone here, ever.....We don't eat dry food either, though!       Sandy, Good luck to you & your Baby...I hope it all turns out for him/her........Karla

Wow, these surgery estimates are crazy.  My 10 year old male shih tzu just had surgery on Friday to remove several stones from his bladder. He went in Friday morning and stayed overnight and I picked him up at noon on Saturday.  

The total for his surgery was $286, this is including 13% hst in Ontario Canada.  The surgery itself was $222 plus $8 for a pain shot and $24 for a 2 week course of antibiotics post surgery.  I guess it depends where and who you go.

My little shih tzu is acting totally normal and was really only quiet for a day or two, he'll get his stitches out in 6 days, but overall he seems to be recovering and healing well.  The best part is that he runs out, pees and is done, no more squatting and dribbling for a long time.  He seems much happier too.
My 13 lb  7 yr old bichon female had to have a cystotomy  done last year and the surgery itself was $169.00.  Of course then you have to add on the anesthesia, IV fluids, monitoring, etc.   The total for me was  was just over $300.00.  I opted for an ECG screen as well for $48. and to have them send the stone away for analysis which was additional $79.  This was in SE Georgia.  She has done well since and has been on a strict UD diet, but I know these dogs are predisposed to this condition, so we are really careful not to go off her diet.... no treats at all, just fresh veggies.  I wish you well.... Karen
My 5yr old Bischon is in hosp again at Univ.of Penn Vet Hosp the second time in 18months. Upset because give proper follow up from the hosp about the type of stones which now they tell me are Strivate stones, this could of been avoided. The cost first time for surgery $3500, now new charges are$4500. With a change in diet and bottled water and follow up visits She wouldn't be in their again. I guess the Hipocratic Oath that doctors take don't apply to vets!

Darlene
I performed this task with no training took me 15 minuts to cean and restich.also found a dog hit by a car and i put him back together and he lived
I just want to really have this one thing in mind with regards to the cost. I just would want to really make things work out in order to have it done. I just hoped that things would work out well in the future.
My lhasa apsos has four bladder stones. My vet told me the cost is going to be $2000. I live in ontario, canada, could you please let me know where
i could find your vet

Thanks Karen
so sorry, Tea42, I just noticed this now.

My vet was Yates Veterinary in Woodstock, Ontario.  Very reasonably priced.  Good luck
just read your comment on the surgery of your dog.I am in the same situation with my yorkie/chih this the second surgery.First one cost 1700.00 this one prob the same her stones are calcium stones.How did you get your surgery so cheap? Are you in ontario?i am in mississauga ontario
Yes, near Woodstock, Ontario,

I posted the info in the post right above yours,  Yates Veterinary in Woodstock.  It would be worth the drive for you.
When responding to posts, PLEASE take note of the date on the original post that you are responding to!  This thread is over four years old and in all likelihood, the original poster has not been here for almost that long.  While we do have some dedicated regulars here, most people come in, post their question, read the responses, and move on.  They are certainly not going to be checking for responses after four years.  

If you have a question similar to the one in the original post, please start a new thread so that the question gets the attention that it deserves.  People are not likely to read an addition to a post that is several years old and your question is likely to go unnoticed.  To start a new thread, simply click the "Post A Question" button at the top of the page.  It will open up a box for you to type in and when you click the button to post what you have written, it will have opened a whole new thread dedicated strictly to your question.  New threads always get attention and you are then likely to get the answers that you seek.

Ghilly
My terrior mix is having surgery today.  Estimated cost is $260 + antibiotics and pain meds. This is from a VERY reputible vet in GA.
Actually, I disagree.  I did a google search for a problem I am having with my dog and this thread is very helpful.
I live in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina (right outside of Myrtle Beach) and Coastal Animal Rescue does the bladder stone removal surgery for $375. This includes the antibiotics, pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds your dog will need while recouperating. They love animals and are a discounted clinic. It would be worth the trip to save thousands. Coastal Animal rescue is on Facebook and I think they have a website too. Good luck!
My vet's estimate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher in Lawrenceville  Ga.  Where is your vet located at?  Thanks!
Highway 5 Animal Hospital in Douglasville, GA just did bladder stone removal on my Havanese and it was $405.00 (includes surgery, lab analysis of the stone, antibiotics, and pain meds...tax not included).  I have to note, though, that the stone removal was performed during her spay procedure, so that might have something to do with the low price.  (Spay was an additional $112.50, just FYI.)
My late wife's Yorkie, 5 healthy pounds and  eight years old, now requires a third $3,000 bladder surgery. The Vet says that her history of thes problem shows that her condition is genetic and every 2 1/2 to three years she needs surgery, he also said that no diet will ever stop the stones from being created. Also, there is no guarantee that she will survive a third surgery or any future needed surgeries.

Though I never had a dog or wanted one, my late wife really wanted a small dog. So now I am retired, and am planning to continue to live as I did before my wife passed away; being gone from home a lot to plaecs I can not take the dog with me. The recurring surgery costs and boarding costs of keeping the dog are a huge hit to my retirement income. So I am reaching the conclusinog to have her put to sleep.

Is there any one out there who has a similar situation and their Yorkie or small dog has survived multiple bladder surgeries?  
Welcome...First, this thread is 5 years old & if you would post your question as a new one, you have a better chance of getting responses.....Most of these people are no loner around and our regular readers normally do not look at the end of old threads....So, again post this as a new question within this forum, please.....

My Goodness, poor little thing; I bet she misses her momma!   Let me offer my condolences for the loss of your wife.....

Where on earth do you live that is charging $3000 for a stone removal? That is unheard of!!!! Have you called around to check other prices elsewhere, such as a Veterinary teaching hospital? I suppose once you paid this the first time, of course they will continue to want your business.....

I don't agree with your Vet about your girl's condition! I personally, DO think this could all be reversed.....I'd love to know what this girl has eaten all her life if you'd be willing to share that....What TYPE of stones is your little one dealing with? That makes a difference, too....

Next, before you kill this girl, please make an effort to find someone that will save her....I don't mean your next door neighbor (That probably doesn't want to invest any money in her) but possibly a BREED SPECIFIC Rescue...Tell them exactly what you have told us & that you are going to euthanize her!

You can google YORKIE Rescues in your area.....Call them, email them or what ever you have to do to let them know of your situation......You will have a better chance with a SPECIFIC breed rescue than you will a Humane Society or shelter.....In any shelter, she will be dead in a week.....Do not dump her at a shelter.....

I don't know what else to say other than I'm hoping for a good outcome to this situation.....Please, keep us updated & I hope others will drop by with other suggestions.......Karla

P.S. Now, I'm going in, to eat my husband out, if he ever even thought about doing this to any of my dogs, in the case of my death.....I just might go down and change my Will tomorrow too, or at least add a NEW specific clause that states some new rules...This has got me thinking......Karla

I just dropped off my 14 pound Yorkie for this procedure he had 15 stones which could be seen on xray and had blood in his urine  twice..first time did the antibiotics and it was good for 2 months, then I saw the blood again, so today he is in surgery now..the estimated cost for procedure, 6 pound bag of food is 800.00 not including the visit before surgery which was 225.00..I'm praying all goes well and just waiting for the call to pick him up...hope this info helped..in Southern NJ
Mine yesterday was $1300. She was real bad off so her bladder may not recover. She was full of stones and couldn't urinate. We found this out at the end of a 10 day vacation when we picked her up at my mom's and she had surgery that night.
Wow you have one expensive vet. My daughter has a 70 pound lab just ad surgery for a large stone and it was only 200.00. We live in southern lower mich.
My 7 year old cockapoo has one large bladder stone. I took her to the vet because she was peeing on our carpets. I was sure it was because she is very upset about the cats my son brought home with him, but wanted to see if it was due to something else.So now, I know I have to have the stone removed but the vet is charging approx $2100. I think this is excessive but I don't know if I can shop the dog around to different vets to get a second opinion or price.It might just be the area I live in.
I just saw that you had surgery in ontario.  I live in scarborough and I was quoted about 650 for the stone removal from the bladder for my dog,  where is your vet??
Hi  The vet I used is Yates Veterinary in Woodstock, Ont.  Not too far from you,   The cost was less than $300 with everything.  Good luck
I live in Eastern Washington.   I just inherited my sister's 12 year old Pom.  She has one large stone per x-ray and has been constantly urinating since she came to us a month ago.   This will be her 3rd surgery, poor thing.  We were not sure if we'd do surgery due to her age and the prices are not cheap here.   I got a quote from WSU at 2K to 3K and 3 quotes from local vets from 600 to 1400.  I'm going for the 600 and hoping the price doesn't go up.  She is having surgery tomorrow.   My sister passed away last week and I can't put her down.  She is a total sweetheart.  We will  keep her on special food.  I can't imagine getting this done for 200 dollars.  No one has come close to tht here.
I live in the Seattle area and my border collie mix has stones and will probably need surgery.  Haven't received my vets quote yet, but just the exam and x-ray came to $234.  I was considering contacting WSU for rates but that sound rather expensive also.  My daughter lives in eastern Washington, so if you are happy with your vet after surgery, we would love to get their name for potential use.  Hope things went or will go well for your little Pom.
My 4 and half year old dog is in surgery this morning and the doctor took out 4 large stones. The whole bladder was swollen like a mass and I was told she could not survive because the whole bladder is a tumor. I got the good news when I was crying. It is stones instead of tumor. I checked the related articles about the bladder stone and found out the PH should be acid and not alkaline, so PH 8 is not very good for dogs. When dog is under diet or eating vegetable like foods it could be alkaline and it prone to have stones.
You really are.
what is the name of your vet. clinic? where in Georgia is it located
?
Im on long island as well and my 11 year old cockapoo has 12 large stones one that lodged in his penis while we were away...they estimated surgery at $5000.  We are so being overcharged and I dont know what Im going to do..they pushed the stone back but without surgery they wont go away and eventually a stone will lodge....These Vets are crazy...they make it like they care about your pet but they refuse to do anything without full payment or even do a payment plan.....In the likes this happens again im going to have to put down my dog because VETS here on Long Island are out right thieves!!
$600 sounds very good to me.  
Which clinic in Scarborough to you go to?
Does anyone have experience with cystoscopy to remove stones, or ultrasound to break them up?
Did you get a second opinion or price? My dog was diagnosed with bladder stones today, I am waiting to hear back from Dr with estimate on surgery. Did you have the surgery performed? I am also on LI
I am so very sorry for the unnecessary loss of your pet.  What a shame! My sincere thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I have spent 2600 dollars to have my pet's bladder drained and the urinary flushed out, however, one obstruction still remained that blocked Buttons ability to urinate.  The doctors called me during bladder surgery to tell me they were unable to get the large obstruction out and did I want them to put Buttons down.  I said NO!  Buttons is very, very healthy and is only five years old.  He has brought me so much joy and I could not, otherwise justify, taking his life.  Well, all my money for emergencies was gone and I had no other choice but to beg.  This hospital could not save my animal and I knew I had to find help, outside of them.  I told them I was going to try to get help from Texas A & M Small Animal Hospital and they told me they were not interested in my problems, outside of their clinic.  I became so angry I decided to contact Mr. Stiles, the director of the A & M Clinic and tell my story and send with it a video of Buttons, after surgery, still at the Emergency Hospital.  Yesterday morning, I had an email from Mr. Stiles who said he was going to help me and he was making headway and would call me in a few minutes.  That was twenty-four hours ago and now Buttons is at the best unit in the state of Texas and they are running all kinds of tests to see the right approach to saving his life.  This surgery is usually 4000.00 dollars. They want  2000.00 down and will work out the other 2000.00 in payments.  I am not sure what my payments will be but I had to do something and after I had their attention I told them I spent the money at this Emergency Clinic and A & M told me they would forfeit the 2000 down and would take Buttons but to have him there by 4:00pm.  I flew to the Emergency Clinic and we transferred Buttons to A & M to the Small Animal Hospital the Soft Tissue Section.  What a difference this place was than the Emergency Clinic!!!  When we pulled up, the nurses came out to our car to help us get Buttons inside. They called him Mr Buttons and took him to the back, immediately, where four student doctors were waiting for him. They told us that a much higher position than they were had ordered them to be there waiting for us.  Wow!  I was blown back by this. All I have to say is do not be afraid to ask for help!  Clinics get excited when they see pet owners who treat their animals like family and refuse to give in to the system...
I live in Riverside, California. My 21-lb, 4-year-old, poodle-mix female dog just had surgery to remove two huge bladder stones. The low estimate I was given was $621.00 and high $780.00. Initially, I had removed the blood panel ($50) the urinalysis ($45) and the catheterization ($50) and fluid therapy IV ($26). So based on the low estimate the surgery would run for approx $500.00. But I got a call from the Dr ( before surgery started) saying that my dog had a fever and would really like to run a blood panel. I agreed and of course the results came back normal. So now I have to add an extra $50 dls on top of $500. I will be picking up my dog in a few hours so I'll post what the final cost was.