Dogs Community
Diabetic Dog Keeps Losing Weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Diabetic Dog Keeps Losing Weight

Our chocolate lab was diagnosed with diabetes four years ago.  He was a very large lab and comes from a family of large labs.  When he was diagnosed he weighed 140 lbs.  He was definitely heavy and the vet wanted us to get him down to 120 after his diagnosis.  Over the past four years he has lost a lot of weight and he just keeps loosing weight.  He is weighing about 78 lbs now and is very underweight for his size.  We've gone to two different vets and both of their solutions have been to increase food, which has not increased his weight.  He keeps loosing.  Right now he is eating 5 cups of Hills Prescription W/D in the morning and 5 cups of W/D at night.  He eats 10 cups of food a day and truly has lost weight.  We give him 27 units of Humilin N in the morning and 27 units of Humilin N at night.  Does anyone have any clues or ideas into what might be going on.  Thank you!
What are his blood glucose levels?  Have they run a fructose level on him to ensure that he is getting the correct levels of insulin??

I'm sorry about all you are going through - I recently lost my dog to diabetes, I know how difficult this condition can be.
Hi.
Sorry to hear your lab is losing weight.
My cairn terrier is also diabetic..diagnosed in June last year ad I know how frustrating it can be as the vets seem to just want to shove them on a prescription diet and leave it at that.
If your lab is on WD then he is in fact on a diet food. High fibre is definately the way to go to help any diabetic dog but the fibre used in WD is actualy peanut shells...not very nutritious but a very cheap fibre.
What your lab needs is a highly digestible food which has complex catbohydrates like brown rice and also a good and easily digestible protein like chicken.
Burns nutrition do a chicken and brown rice dried food which my cairn does well on. He is gaining weight very slowly.I add a boiled egg to his food each day as this is also a very digestible source of protein and can help muscle gain without causing a big rise in blood glucose. I wish you all the luck in the world with your dog.
Keep surfing. There are so many of us out there with diabetic dogs all of us scared to do the wrong thing for our pets. I have found home cooking also helped Max but was so scared in case I was gonna get it wrong.Here are some links I found helpful:
http://www.caninediabetes.org/
Could you please tell me if you checked your dog's blood glucose yourself or if you took him to the vet.  My American Eskie was diganosed with diabetes 6 months ago he weighed in at 33 lbs and has gone all the way down to 22 lbs.  I am taking him to the vet this Monday.  He has a cup of food in the morning and a cup at night (Purina DCO), he is starving all the time.  I know you mentioned the brown rice/protien diet - did you adjust the insulin or just give the same dosage?
Sorry to ramble but i'm very worried about him - I thought I could take care of him as I'm an insulin dependent diabetic myself.

Thanks, Hayley
Hayley, you will get more responses if you start a new thread for your question.  The thread that you have responded to is four years old now, and it's not likely that the person who posted it is still here.  Also, people don't tend to read the old threads when they see them, and all they really end up doing is taking up room on the first page.  

In case you don't start a new thread, you should talk to your vet about EPI, or Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.  Dogs with EPI will lose large amounts of weight but will eat like they are starving.  In quite a few cases the vets will treat the dog for diabetes only to have it be EPI.  It's worth looking into.  The syndrome is caused by the dog underproducing and secreting insufficient amounts of digestive enzymes from the exocrine portion of the pancreas.  Most dogs with EPI can be successfully treated, although they will usually not ever regain the weight they lost.  They will, however, not lose any more weight as long as the enzymes being supplemented are sufficient.

Ghilly