Dogs Community
Dog with Cushings Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Viewing 201-274 comments:
There is currently another post about Cushings...You should be able to find it.
It is simply called...Cushings  it is posted by a person called GB5683  Find it, and check it out.
It talks about a website called 2ndchance...I hope this helps...
Connie
So glad you posted this info.  Our poodle Chloe has the same problem.  Her quality of life has gone downhill rapidly.  She now has anorexia and will not eat or drink.  Our dilema is do we put her to sleep now or wait to see if there is any improvement.  A decision no one wants to make.
Its very hard to watch your dog go through all the symptoms involved with Cushings.  I wish you luck.
I am sorry to hear your corgi has that horrible decease I just lost my springer to that and I wish I had put her to sleep she was in so much pain before she died she was sick all day drunk a lot more water she started crying about 9 30 took her down to the vet she got a pain killer this was meant to help the pain and help her sleep we brought her home she started crying louder and I never could put a dog through that again she was in pure agony before her last breath at 12.25 am the vet did ask us do you want me to put her to sleep but we could'nt bear that she caught Jaundies 4 months before that we thought she was on the mend like you I could not afoard to get her tested for that and the vet said keep a eye for her and bring her back at xmas time and Ill do the test she never made it till then I did not relise how bad this might be cushings decease ! cant spell it Ihope your dog gets over this but if their is any dout I feel for you it is a terrible blow when your pet companion is ill or dies I am broken heart'ed it will take me a long time to forget how she went I feel so so bad that maybe I was selfish as I did not want to let her go ..
My 13 year old red poodle  was diagnosed with Cushings last month, and rather than put him through all the test and meds with serious side effects, I chose to treat him with homeopathics. To date, he's still drinking a lot of water, but not as much, his coat is beginning to fill out, he is a little more peppy and flexible. It's been six weeks of natural meds to shrink the tumor, natural meds for the eyesight (don't know if that's working yet), homeopathic spray, and another dietary supplement that goes in his water. He's stabalizing, and showing improvement. We're a ways away from clearing all symptoms, but I'm gratified his meds are natural and seem to be working for him and with no side effects except improvements.
Highly recommend that you find a Vet that uses homeopathic remedies and dietary supplements to cure your little ones of Cushings. Takes about six months for them to recover. It's doable. The sooner the better. No side effects.
I use puppy pads for my dogs- works well
Our Bichon, Marley, had Cushings for the last 8 years of her 14 year life. She passed away early Dec. I have a months supply of Trilostane (30 MG) that I would like to give to someone who needs them. I hate to just throw them away when someone could use them. Please email me at deblevin@aolcom.
You did an amazing job of keeping your dog going for 8 years with Cushings, how long was she on the Trilostane?
Hello, Everyone!

My name is Jordan. When I was 12 my mom bought me a Pomeranian. Sweet as pie! When she was 7 she was diagnosed with Cushing's. That was a hard day for me. I knew nothing about it! I bought some medicine and now she is 11! She lasted 4 yrs! I have heard stories that dogs dont last long. Her medicine that I had been giving her all of a sudden quit working so we up the dosage. The new medicine has been working but not all of it. She has been on it for a month and a half. And now she is getting worst by the day! I never thought I had to go through this. I dont want her to be in pain but I dont want to put down my best friend! This *****!
Hi, Jordan.  I agree with you, when your dog has Cushings, it really *****.  Its so hard to watch them suffer, and you keep hoping tomorrow will be better.  You sound like you've done a very good job of keeping her going for four years, thats pretty long.   What are her new symptoms, and what does your vet say?
Try Cushex drops from Native Remedies. naturalpatic route.   This has done wonders for my 15 year Old **** zu.  No Steroids those will kill your baby.  Hope this works as well for you as for me

reddawg2801
I have a 12 year old Maltese, who I rescued, that ha,s soooo many problems.  After years of research and vet bills I found that you need to avoid foods and treats with corn, wheat, by-meal products, soy, in them.  Also add omega fish oil to her food; you can buy an inexpensive bottle in the pet section of wal-mart.  
My Maltese improved greatly with the limited ingredients in "Blue".  If you can afford it, Maltese eat so little, I would try changing the food -- gradually to avoid upset.  A homecooked diet is great, but time and money limit this option.  
Unfortunately, some vets do not really care about the longevity of the dog and really do not seek the best long term solution.  Because of this, the result to my Maltese from years of steriod use and being hit by a car before I saved him, has resulted in really bad arthritis.  So now we use the "Blue" for senior dogs.  
Just a note, I do not work or have any stake in Blue and I know there are similar other foods you can buy. The main thing is just to keep the "meal, by-meal products, corn, wheat, and soy," away from your dog and she will improve.  My dog takes 25 mg of Atarax 2 times a day also, which helps greatly with the itching.  I also have to keep the hair on his feet cut short and wash his paws daily -- as he is alergic (allergic) to fresh green grass -- if I don't he will bite his feet until they bleed.  
Many Maltese have yeast infections, so giving baths with "Malaseb
Shampoo" or "Vet Solutions" shampoo 2 or 3 times a week (quality of the shampoo really makes a different" helps, too.  

Maltese are such sweet loving dogs; I wish you the best.

Good luck
Happy to report my 13 year old poodle is recovering nicely from Cushings.
We went the natural health route for him. No drugs. Used only supplements, and homeopathic drops. It's been seven weeks, his thirst, sparce coat, hearing, eyesight, has all improved dramatically. The cost for his recovery is less than $100. and his overall health keeps improving. We contacted a natural Vet who recommended the natural formula for recovery. Told us it would take about four months until he is cured. We're grateful, and highly recommend the natural way to cure Cushings. Drug free, no side effects, no enormous costs, and looking forward to total recovery. PS: Food: Solid Gold brand kibble - "Barking at the Moon" formula. Works good for him.
My dog is sleeping alot and peeing on her self while she is laying down.
What do i do.
I have a dachshund, Frankie, that is 11 years old, and has had Cushing's for almost a year.  If it can be diagnosed early and your pet responds well to the meds, it is worth it if the pet is not in pain and you can afford the meds.  The blood test was only $150 and his meds each month are around $50...I know that is not affordable for everyone, but I just needed to try for his sake.  My dog had once been paralyzed, has lost an eye to a horrible infection, and now Cushing's, but his demeanor and spirit just wouldn't allow me to put him down.  He goes to the Vet twice a year to make sure his meds are sufficient, and to make sure he is not in pain...that will be the deciding factor.  I wish all pet owners of older dogs would at least try if affordable to medicate, but am told that so many just figure the dog is getting old and have them put down.  Again, if the animal is in pain, then by all means, do the right thing.
Can you share the names of the homeopathic meds you gave your dog? My 11 yo std poodle/setter mix most likely has an early cushings issue. We are not experiencing the uncontrolled peeing yet but I do see the potbelly, weak hindend, loss of some fur, and he did have some odd bloodwork a while ago. If I could give him to help prevent it from going any further...I would!
Happy to help. The natural Vet I can recommend is:
Dr. Gerald Wessner. Phone: 352-245-2025. He provides the homeopathic remedy, and the information on how to care for your pet.

I'm so relieved with the recovery of my boy - his hair was thinning, drank excessive water, became lethargic, slept a lot, wasn't interested in much anymore, had "accidents" , and couldn't jump like he used to. Before that, he was alert, energetic, and still acted like a puppy.

He's almost back to his old ways. Started treatment December 20. I am forever grateful to Dr. Wessner who also writes a column in one of the Dog magazines.

Dr. said it would take about four months - it's been just a little over two months, and I'm continuting until he says OK .

Wishing you the best for you and your pet.
Thanks so much, I guess I misunderstood and thought there were some products that I could buy but I now understand that I will need a homeopathic doctor to make up a  remedy especially for my dog. That makes sense, and i do believe there is a vet in my state. Glad to hear your dog is doing so well. My dog has some symptoms but is still active and exhibiting what appears to be some age related issues. Cushings and old age are so tough to separate. Is there a blood test that can determine it definitively?
I have a patterdale x lakeland who's 13 and just been diagnosed with cushings.  We haven't started treatment yet as he needs to have more blood test.  I must confess I am a tad worried and hope he's going to be ok.
It would help if you would spell check before you comment..cannot understand anything you wrote
Hello, I came across this site by accident while searching for info. on Canine Cushings Disease.  I am a foster mother with a local dog rescue group [Last Day Dog Rescue, MI], and my newest house guest is an older boxer girl, probably 9 years old or so.  She looks pretty rough, and extensive testing shows she has Cushings Disease.  We are in the midst of determining a treatment plan for her.  She is my first foster with confirmed Cushings.

One thing that she is experiencing, that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, is dramatic weight loss.  Despite small meals and treats continuously through-out the day, this poor girl has gone from 50.4 pounds to 43.1 in 33 days.  She is on a trial of Ketoconazole, 400mg bid, plus Cephalexan 500mg to address skin infection due to extreme hair loss.  Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this?

Today I ordered a trial of Cushex Drops by PetAlive to promote adrenal gland balance.  It was a fairly expensive product, but online reviews from various website were mostly positive.  Has anyone on this forum used this product, and if so, please share your comments/thoughts.

She is a sweet girl, very gentle and well trained; obviously someone's companion at some point in her life.  She was found exhausted, weak, and extremely underweight in a rural area by a good samaritan who took her in.  Although she is available for adoption, she may become a permanent house guest since most folks don't want to adopt a knowingly ill dog.

For all of you dealing with this disease, and others that affect our canine companions, know I understand your pain, both in heartache and financially.  Since I foster only senior dogs, I have seen many with various ailments and terminal diseases.  Losing a devoted friend is heart breaking.

Best to all,
JJ  

JJ, it's great, what you have done for this dog. You are right. A sick dog has less of a chance of finding a happy home, and that is so sad. Thank heavens for people like you!

As this is a very old thread you contributed to, you would have a MUCH better chance of getting some excellent attention to your question if you were to start a whole new post. Sometimes, the old posts get kind of "sidelined".
I am sure there are a lot of people here who can give you some ideas and great support.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a similar problem with your dog, please start a new post. It will get a LOT more attention.

To post a question: Go to the top of this page, and click on the orange button on the left where it says "Post a Question". Then simply add a title for your question, and underneath, describe the problem (in as much detail as you like). Add "tags" if you wish, using main keywords in what you have written (but you don't have to)  If you wish to add a photo, click on "Add Photo", just underneath the "Tags" section.Then scroll down a little, and click on the green button where it says "post a Question". And your question will be displayed immediately on the Dogs Community page.
Thank You for fostering the seniors, who often get left behind because everyone wants a cute puppy or kitten.  It is so great that this girl won't have to go through the Cushings on her own, and she'll get the love she deserves.  I'm not familiar with the meds you are using, we used Vetoryl, and had no luck, so I hope your meds do the trick and keep helping.  Its a shame there aren't more people like you, I wish you luck.
Rogue River, are you actually the VET?
My almost 11 year old yellow lab was just diagnosed with Cushings.  He drinks water excessively and started peeing in the house.  He also has dropped in weight and eats less than he used to.  We will be starting him on lysodren and will also try to cook food for him.  Has anyone had sucess or failure with this medication?  Thanks.    
We had our dog on Vetoryl, and had no luck with it.  I was always sorry I didn't try the Lysodren.  Please come back and let us know how it worked out for you.  Good Luck.
Our dog Ginger, 13 year old doxie... has been on Pet Alive Cushex drops.  This has extended our dogs life considerably however, we are coming to her end.  She is having a hard time with her hips allowing her to walk.  She has all the symptoms the previous posts have spoken about.  It is the decision that we either have her put to sleep or let her finish here at home.  So hard.  We hate to think she is suffering.  Our teenage son who loves her more than people said, "Mom, when I look into Gingers eyes and see more pain than the love it will be the time to put her to sleep."  Made me cry
Breaks my heart reading all of these stories. My little Maltese has been diagnosed with Cushings disease he is 9 years old and was displaying symptoms for about 12 mths before diagnosis. He is taking 1/4 tablet of Lysodren every 4 days and doing really well. Initially he was taking it every 3 days but when we took him back for more blood tests the vet said his results were really good but were in fact too good and the rate and time it had taken him to get from 180 to 90 meant he risked going too low, which would present more problems. His water consumption is a bit excessive but the lethargy seems to have gone and he is playing again with our other little dog and even jumping up onto the furniture again:) fingers crossed he is over the worst Good Luck Everyone!!
We had our Miniature Pinscher Chopper for 5 years 4 months.  Did not realize at the time we adopted him that his skin disease and weight were the result of Cushings until he developed a bladder infection in Sept. 2008 when our vet discovered he had bilateral enlarged adrenal glands.  We treated him successful with Trilostane for 17 months and then he had an episode of Addisons so he went on prednisone for two months until his cortisol level started to come up.  We rested his adrenal glads for approximately 6 month (no medication) until his cordisol level went up over 8.  Then back on the trilostane for about a year when his cortisol level dropped back into a normal range in the 1 to 5 range our vet and their lab used.  Chopper's Cushings was caused by a pituitary tumor which unfortunately started to grow and he started having seizure and we had to have he put to sleep last Saturday (Aug. 4, 2012). Our vet did not use Lysodrem because it kills the adrenal glands the result of which is an Addisonian dog which leads to a whole new set of problems.  The dog will have to be on prednisone and have a shot every 28 to 30 days the rest of its life .  So you end up going from one problem to another.  The high cortiso level in a dog with Cushing causes issues, but the low cortisol level and low electrolytes can put them into crisis and shock and if not treated will result in their death.  Did your vet tell you if your dog starts to throw up or have uncontrollable diarrhea you should get them to a vet immediately???   Good luck!!!!!

So sorry to hear about Chopper & thanks for sharing your journey.

Yes the vet gave us prednisone in tablet form if our little one started vomiting, and told us to bring him straight back. it hasn't happened as yet (hopefully it won't)

We are taking things day by day and monitoring the little guy closely

That was really uncalled for about the spelling. I was able to read the post without a problem. She wrote nd for and, nxt for next. welshchick 1972 was on this sight sharing imformation about her dog with Cushing, that is what this site is for. I also have a dog with Cushing, my dog went blind two weeks ago, has very much inceased water intake, and has frequent accidents in the house. Huge puddles of urine. Very low energy, Just trying to decide what to do. Have not put her on any medication, she does not appear to be in pain, but her quality of life is just very sad to watch. My dog is 8 years old. We just went through the death of our other dog a year and a half ago.Spent thousands of dollars with a specialist to find out what was wrong with him, and the specialist could not figure it out. The day after the Doctor had sent him home, he went blind, and we had to have him put to sleep. I am sure I have some mis-spellings, hope that is not the focus on my post.  
I wish you much luck on deciding what to do.  It is so hard to know which way to go with Cushings.
My chihuahua,1o 12lb was recently diagnosed with Cushings.She was prescribed trilostane 10mg daily,however the Vet gave me 30 mg pills. She took this dosage for 2 weeks. The Vet acknowledged thier mistake and put her on 10mg. Does anyone know if this high dosage can result in Addison's disease or harm her in other ways?
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Harvey, was recently diagnosed with cushings. Luckily for us we changed vets and the new vet commented on his fur (that hadn't grown back). After further observation he informed me that he felt Harvey had Cushings.

Harvey displayed most of the symptoms:
Hair loss
Extreme hunger/greed
Thirst
Weakness in back legs
Depression
Lethargy
Constant urination

He is now 7 weeks into treatment (60mg of Vetoryl daily)and his 2nd blood test was a fantastic. However on his third ACTH test, his levels had risen again.

I have been informed from a great support group on Yahoo, that this test should be done in a 4-6 hour window of when your dog has his dose of Vetoryl. Harvey's 3rd test was done just over 2hrs of taking his tablet. I will make sure that I give him him tablet at 4:50am next time, ready for his 9:00am appointment.

We are only insured for up to £4000 and have spent around a £1000. Therefore it is crucial for us to try and get Harvey stabilized as soon as possible.

Sadly, as always with animals, the winners in all of this are the insurance companies and the vets! Fingers crossed for my lovely boy though and just hope that he pulls through.
I wish you and Harvey much luck in getting his levels stabilized so the two of you will have more time together, enjoy each day with him.
Thank you Linda ~ we have our fingers crossed for the next vets visit.
Just read your post my dog benji is going throw it too and it was the same time as you.He is on vetoryl 60 gm daily i have seen a massive improvement with him and i am taking your advice about giving him the tablet at 5am.
I have taken her to the vet several times costing 900.00 and still not sure whats going on .Now they want another test done where my dog stays for a couple of hours. Her tummy is swollen and hard and she acts like she never gets enough to eat!! Help
Cathy
My vet told me that the dosage can be doubled or tripled in dogs if need be, so I assume that there are no toxic effects.  My dog went from 30 mg to 60 mg a day because his levels of cortisol were still high, and he showed no negative side effects from it.  The vet told me he could increase to 90 mg a day if he needed to further reduce the cortisol levels.
I have an 11 yr. old dashund who was gaining weight, panting, refusing walks and eating like I never fed her.  I had her tested and she went on meds for Cushings.  Then her cortisol level went too low, so she was put on prednisone.  She has had her ups and downs, and now her prednisone has been decreased due to blood in the stool.  She has lost 5 lbs. over the last 3 months since going on meds and felt better until yesterday when she had the blood in her stool.  She is now on a liquid to coat her stomach, prednisone (only 1/2 tab. once a day now), Pepcid, and is resting most of the time.  She isn't eating much, and just seems not to feel very great.  I am wondering how your dashund did with the cushings and if he is still with you.  This is making me so sad that I can't help her.  She will have several good days and then relapse.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  If you receive this message, I would appreciate a response.  Thanks.  Judy492
Cushex Drops are a homeopathic preparation and contain no active ingredients to treat Cushings Disease.  I saw that several folks have been using them to treat their dogs.  If you truly want to extend the life of your dog, you need to use a product with an active ingredient that lowers cortisol levels.  These products are, unfortunately, expensive.  However, they are clinically proven to be effective in treating Cushings.  Cushex is not approved by the FDA nor has it been tested in an FDA approved clinical trial.
Im sorry to hear your beloved friend is having trouble. I have had quite a year with my KC, vestibular disease then seisures, in the end i thought it was cushings. Same symptoms plus some others. My advice is to enjoy everyday with your pup, and do what you as his mommy think is the right thing to do. I was pressured by people to put my boy down and it really stressed me out. Just do what is right for dog, you know him better than any vet. Also since you have already made the decision to let him live it out without meds, do just that, but keep in mind, time goes so fast. Please enjoy every moment you have with your buddy, keep him as comfortable as possible and shower him with love. You are right that he just wants to be with you, following you everywhere, just be with him, its is comforting to him. And when the time comes, and you will know, just tell him you are so proud and its ok to let go. He will. Let me tell you, once they are gone, the void is vast, and you cant go back. Cherish every moment because you dont know how fast the end will come.
I hope for the best for you both.
I can appreciate your dilemma and your pain. I have a 10 yr old Yorky who has Cushings and am going nuts trying to cope with her but, to avoid putting her through the agony of the traditional medication treatments, I started her on some homeopathic treatments with a substantial improvement in her condition. Her abdomen is still distended and she's still consuming a lot of water and eats like a horse not a Yorky.
However, she's doing better than she was when I first started the homeopathic treatment and believe it or not, if I could find out how I could help her get rid of the excess fluid in her abdomen, I honestly believe that she would almost be back to normal. I do know that if I were to follow through with the traditional treatments she would either be suffering right now or already dead.
I have spoken with specialists and professors about the Cushings  and can guarantee that I could not subject her to the traditional treatments. All I can say now is that, I'm very glad that I started the homeopathic route when I did. She's active, alert and almost stable. Given her condition I'm absolutely surprised at the results.
I also have a Shi Tzu / poodle mix that suddenly started having seizures about a year ago and was told that she should be on barbiturates being treated for epilepsy. She is another recipient of homeopathic compounds and very seldom has the seizures anymore. I can't substantiate any scientific documentation concerning the homeopathic concoctions but, I can say one thing, they seem to work or help with the conditions that both of my dogs are being treated for and they are not suffering or in any discomfort and they are still alive.
If you want to look up some information regarding homeopathic treatments you can visit, nativeremedies.com, petalive.com petwellbeing.com or promaxol.com just to mention a few. You may be very surprised with the results that you may experience but most of all, you may be surprised how well your pet reacts to some of the proposed treatments that they offer.
I don't know if this is of any interest to you but, I'm sure it could be to your pet.

Good luck,
Chingitchkook
thanks for that. I was just beginning to think I should put my jack russell on cushex. we started Vetoryl about 5 days ago as she tested positive for cushings. I am very worried about her symptoms but the vet said it should take about 6 weeks to see any improvement. she is about 14 or 15yrs old but I cant see her suffering like this for much longer. I know its crazy but i'm sure she is trying to tell me how she feels and I just dont know how to help her.
What is the natural medicine you are giving your dog for cushings ?. My dog is 16 and on Trilostane but he also developed diabetes as it was diagnosed late and turned blind very quickly with cataract. He is suffering seizures at the moment and has lost a lot of weight. Its been 3 months now since he was diagnosed. Its encouraging to hear about your dogs recovery.
I dont know how people  can let dogs suffer.  You know the difference and if you have done all you can do then for the love of your dog put them down humanely.   Animals hang on on as long as they can and its hard to tell how
Bad off they are.   Don't second guess yourself, talk to your vet and see what options
You have.   I have a 14 year old golden retriever.  A few months ago they vet said he has symptoms of old age and that I'm going to have to be the one to make the decision to ease his pain because he will not.   I couldn't make that decision at that time and now time has come for me to ease his pain as his quality of life has depreciated.  His rear end is weak, falls down and can't squat to poop etc.    it's never an easy decision and I have been a mess. the only thing that helps comfort me is the time we had together and knowing he will no longer be in any pain and went to heaven to frolic on the fields like a puppy again.
I have a 10 year old pom cross. She has Cushing's(just diagnosed). I don't want to go the traditional medicine route, as I know it it really hard on dogs.It is similar to chemo treatment. So, I have just started yesterday, treating her with Cyproheptadine and Cushing's Complex oral spray. I researched for the best route to go. Thankfully, I have a great homeopathic pharmacy with a very experienced pharmacist in animal medicine. He spent a great deal of time explaining everything to me and figured out a good dosage for my dog. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and will update when I see results.
I wish you luck, keep us updated on how its going.
Thanks for your interest. Well,my dog, Dodi, has been on her meds for six days now. She has almost stopped her excessive panting, her water intake is about half of what it was. She still has her voracious appetite, but she is showing interest in life again, and she's able to jump on the bed again. Her tummy is still bloated, but I defininately see a huge difference already. I am so excited to see her get better. I thought I was about to lose her.
I'm so happy to hear this, its great your having luck without having to use the regular Cushings meds.  I hope Dodi continues to respond well.
Hi. My dog Dodi is doing really well, now. Just in the last four days I've noticed a vast improvement. She's cut down her drinking and panting, isn't so anxious, and isn't trying to steal food out of my hand.lol. She still looks a little bloated, but I am so pleased with her progress. I changed her diet to high protien, low carb. I'm feeding her GO. It's grain free and all good stuff. I know if I had gone the route of vet meds, she would be suffering. She is getting interested in life again, and jumps on the bed now, whereas she couldn't for a couple of months. I feel hopeful that she will improve even more. At least I know she's feeling well now. Her happy tail is back!!!
Has anyone tried Adrenal Harmong Gold its worked wonders for my dog with cushings
that's adrenal harmony gold she has her energy back and has use of her back legs again and so much energy
What drops did you use??
My 12 year old chocolate lab may have
Cushings and we are not sure yet. I took her to the vet yesterday
and that is the first I have heard of the disease. I want to know where
to get the drops in case it becomes more clear if that is what she has.
Update on my dog, Dodi. She is totally back to her normal self again. She has so much energy, now. She's happy, healthy and loving life again.
So good to hear good news for a change.  Keep it up Dodi.
How is your little dog doing?  My 12 yr old Yorky was just diagnosed with Cushings.  I'm worried & confused as to which way to go-- but I would like to go the most natural route.  Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
When my 10 year old PBGV developed Cushings, I went to a holistic vet who prescribed natural supplements.  Subsequent blood tests showed no signs of Cushings and she lived another 6 years.
My spotty who was a jack russell/chihuahua did this, I am  pretty sure when he was in kidney failure..the toxins for onr go to the brain and cause neurological probs but mostly it is prob kidney failure. Does the urine have a strange chemical smell? I realize now I let Spotty suffer and now my lil Maltese has Cushing's as well, uncontrollable diabetes because of the cushings and has started seizing. Other then this you would never know he is sick, he is so playful, active and so very sweet with his many lil soft licks. He too has itching probs and I use a prescription shampoo every other day when his skin is bad, once it is healthy I go to once a week, now am using a reg vet shampoo but see after 2 months of this I will have to stay with the other. The catch 22 of this is there r unseen mites in grass which Reilly is allergic to the saliva as well as Spotty was, the saliva of mites, fleas, etc but he cannot take his comfortis because of the seizures. My baby wants to go out, he loves it so and sit in the grass,  play and sleep in it but I have to limit his contact with the grass. He so far gets 22 units of insulin a day and I can tell it needs to be increased again as of a month ago because of frequent drinking, peeing, itching, yeast in ears as is also present in  cushings. I am soo very sad and beside myself crying because Reilley's breath is starting to have the faint smell that my Spotty's did when going into kidney failure, his urine is like karo syrup and although happy and acting and appearing healthier then he is I am struggling with when is the best time to put him doiwn, I just cannot let him go as long as my Spotty, it haunts me because I was not sure and kept him alive longer then I now know I should. Please forgive my typos as I am crying now..must go tend to Reilley now..good luck to you all. I failed to mention  the only other thing Spotty has was allergies and I now know he had too much prednisone shots. On the other hand Reilley has had a liver shunt put in at 1, he has had neck surgery, has intervertabral disc disease, uncontrollable diabetes, torn acl in both back knees..no more surgery for that, he will not heal because of his diabetes. He is on phenobarbital twice a day, 22 units of Insulin, one half of a tramadol 3 times a day and the doc thinks cushings treatment would not be good for him as he has too many other pre existing co morbidities so for now we r doing the best, keeping him as happy and healthy as possible and he is until he crosses that thresh hold where he must be put down before suffering begins. It is so hard to sing them to sleep in ya arms as they r being permanently put to sleep. Can you tell I am struggling. And to the person who says I don't know how people let thier dogs suffer, it is not intentional, dogs are so very stoic because they love us and it is very hard to be able to tell how sick or bad they feel even with reports from the vet.  The die my Spotty died he did one of the many things that when I finally  thought it is time today..for instance we were out in the front yard and the mail lady passed...he ran out so fast on his harness and retractable leash to as far as he could go and ran back and forth across the width of my yard, tail curled above his back, ears up and barked and barked and I thought omg  he is not ready. then he died. It is not out of cruelty I will promise you, otherwise they, we, me would not have 10s of thousands of dollars in bills and pay 500 a month on their care if we did not want what was best and loved them very much.
I neglected to say Spotty suffered severe wasting quickly, weakness. I remember the day he jumped off the couch and his lil legs did not hold him up and he was a Jack Russell?Chihuhua..and his lil chest hit the floor and his legs went out flat to his sides.
I wish you and Reilly luck, it is so hard when their  sick.  He's a very lucky dog to have an owner that is trying so hard for him.  Enjoy each day, good luck.
Muffet 59, I would love to chat with you about your dog.  I sent you a message but not sure it worked.  My dog was recently diagnosed and he is very mild and vets say not to treat.  His two symptoms are elevated alkphos. and ocassional panting.  Drop me a not when you can, how is Dodi doing after all these months?

Suzie
May I ask what holistic suppliments you used?  My 9 year old was recently diagnosed with Cushings and I am ready to break down with sadness.  Feel free to message me if you want.  Thank you!

Suzie
This is such good news, how is she doing now after 7 months since you posted?

Suzie
Hello My 9 year old maltese has several severe symptoms of the cushings disease. I am so sad I do not know what to do he sleeps all day, he cries when I pet him, his skin is so sensitive, he drinks so much water, always looking for food after he eats two meals a day, and his panting is excessive. In addition he has high blood pressure. I am so sad  and I do not know what is best for him, the vet said it is very difficult to treat, however she said there is medicine and it can lessen the symptoms, But I would like to know more about the treatment process, and how it works.
Our dog was  put on the meds, and it seemed to help somewhat. You have to keep checking the levels of meds to make sure the dog isn't receiving too much, because then they have to go on prednisone.  My best advice to you is to make sure your vet knows a lot about Cushings, and is familiar with the medications available.  If he/she isn't, find one that is before you even start.
It's been awhile since your post. My 19 yr old cat, Valentino has cushings. Because he is so old I've chosen not to give meds. or surgery. I would love to know more about the homeopathic route. What did you give your dog exactly? I realize it may be different for a cat? Thanks, Lauren
With Cushings syndrome your dog looks for food all the time and drinks loads until the meds help all the side effects but when a dog doesn't eat at all, then it's another thing to look at as the with Cushings , thedog will eat and eat even when feeling ill or in pain.
Viewing 201-274 comments: