Incontinence in The Beagle
I was just wondering if anyone has used meds for incontinence.  The beagle is elderly and having a really hard time making it outside anymore.  She will get up off her couch and start going on the way to the door.  I have discussed this with my vet and he has said there are meds for this.  My concern was giving her something that would hurt her other organs.  Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with the meds.  I will be going tomorrow to get these so will know what they are called then.......sara
I don't know if you're interested in investigating herbal treatments. They may work, I don't have any experience with this though.
A link that might be of some help if you are is:
http://www.herbal-dogkeeping.com/articles_treating_canine_incontinence.html
(from Robert McDowell's Herbal Treatments)
Oh thank you ginger!!!  I will check this out and then talk to her vet as he is all about keeping things natural too.     sara
Well, I use herbal medicines for almost everything if ever needed for myself, and have done for over 20 years. I find they work, don't poison the body if used right, and are generally strengthening for the whole system. Occasionally I will use Echinacea for my dog (the vet knows I do on the odd occasion, say if she has a skin wound, or something, and says it's ok) But I'm unsure about which herbs are/are not -ok for dogs, so am not very experimental.
I do know the herbs mentioned on the site I gave you a link to are specifics for incontinence and urinary problems...but like I said I don't have the experience of using them for dogs, so don't know the correct dosage.
The two usual treatments are PPA and DES, so if your vet dispenses either one of these, he or she is in line with standard practice.  There is something called Homeopet Leaks No More, which I have not tried, but I think it would be harmlesss whether it worked or did not work.  If you want to try the PPA or DES, you could experiement to find the lowest possible dose that would work for your beagle.    
Thanks for all the info....Nice to know we have this forum to come to.  sara and the beagle
If worse comes to worse, do they sell puppy pads for the floor as they do in Britain? I am house training Lady at the moment but have decided to go it alone without them, might help for an older dog though.