DOGS
COMMUNITY
My Dog Died from his Vaccinations
by oscarsmom522, Jun 07, 2011
My healty, almost 9 year old standard poodle received his annual vaccines on Friday, May 27.  Saturday, May 28, he was unable to walk.  Over the course of the next 8 days, we visited 3 vets (5 visits) and 1 vet neurologist (2 visits).  The official diagnosis was "vestibular disease from vaccinosis."   Every medical professional told us he would snap out of it and get better.  Initially, we were told to wait it out, then he was put on a steroid regimen, and was on steroids with a holistic support approach and, in the end, immodium.  We finally put him out of his misery on June 5.  With all the professional help, I felt helpless as I watch my first born die.  No one seemed to acknowledge he was so sick.  I'm struggling for answers as to what happened and how it happened.  I do believe it was the shots that killed him.  Has anyone heard similar stories?  Was there anything we could have done to save him or make him comfortable?  RIP OSCAR.  
Member Comments (44)
by ginger899Blank, Jun 07, 2011
This story is heartbreaking, and I am really, really sorry this happened to him.
I have heard stories of bad reactions to vaccinations, some of them serious. I have an ongoing tussle with my vet about it. I do trust my vet in so many ways, but I now insist on a "Titer test" for my dog. One of the elements of the vaccination (leptospirosis) will not "titer" properly, so he told me, so I have to go with it, and let them give it to her. Either that, or expose her to the disease. I am between a rock and a hard place.
The other elements are not given yearly, but 3-yearly (my vet told me) I still insist on testing her for immunity.
The vets at my office I am sure think I am crazy and have picked up weird ideas from the internet. Their policy is vaccinate every time the vaccinations are due, and they do not reckon any adverse reactions (except swelling or redness at the injection site) have anything to do with the shots.
Once 2 years ago, after vaccination my dog suffered 2 days of diarrhea and vomiting. And she is a healthy fit dog. She was fine afterwards, but it scared me. I was CONVINCED it was intimately connected with those shots, and the fact that she is getting older. I think it overloads their immune systems. That was my wake-up call.

Yet people don't know what to do for the best, and resort to trusting their vets about it.

It sounds as if your Oscar was one of the unlucky ones.
Yet he was also very lucky because you loved him, and tried to do your very best for him.
It breaks my heart to read this.
by oscarsmom522, Jun 07, 2011
Thank you for your empathy.  I am heartbroken, in shock, and can't believe I did this to my most loyal and favorite of friends.  I've never before been blessed with a dog so devoted.    In the 2 days I've had time to research, I've learned so much.  Vaccines are so bad, they definitely killed Oscar, especially something called Lepto.  Like you, I had a huge fear of vaccines.  I believe in Angels and the Holy Spirit.  I believe they were warning me and I wished I'd listened.  I know you'll do the best for your baby.  Listen to your Mother's Heart.  I have found a Holistic Vet for future non-vaccination and proper care.  Thanks again for your help.

by lindapalm, Jun 07, 2011
This is so sad, you thought you were doing your best for your dog, and believed all the vets were right.  It is really scary, you don't know whats the right thing to do anymore.  I'm so sorry for you and Oscar.
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jun 08, 2011
Oh My! This is not only Heartbreaking, but I'm furious for you! Why does this keep happening?
You DO know that this is not your fault? We entrust our pet's care to Drs. that are suppose to be smarter than we.....Yet, time & time again I find myself trying to figure out another canine problem & what to do about it...

All 27 Veterinary Teaching Schools in the US suggest 3 yr. vaccines instead of yearly....Although, the majority of Vet Practices continue with every Year...Why is that? Because it is normally their majority of income!

I found out a few years back that my regular Vet (Used them for years) was Vaccinating EVERY YEAR with the 3YR. vaccine! What? Yet, they never told the client and it didn't read so on the certificate....Were they poisoning my dogs? I think so, I'm sorry to say....

I since, have changed Vets & my dogs have not been Vaccinated since......I have blood titers run for Parvo & Distemper and all my dogs (3yrs. later) still had very high antibodies to the vaccines....No need to re-vaccinate.....My new (Holistic) Vet did NOT vaccinate for Rabies either, but gave me the tag & certificate that said he did.....He said my dogs were Seniors & they needed NO more....They are 7yrs., 8yrs., 10yrs.....

He refuses to use the Lepto vaccine and says he would rather treat the disease.....He also said it irritates him when clients come in and demand vaccines (Yearly)....He says that sometimes it's hard to get through to people that their dogs don't need it. We have been told we need these, our whole lives.....

So, that's my experience w/vaccines.....I am heartbroken on your behalf.....Please, don't beat yourself up.....You did every thing right......I am so sorry for you and Oscar...I don't know what else to say, but your in my prayers....Please, come back and let us know how your doing........Sincerely, Karla
by bully2011, Jun 08, 2011
I am so sorry for losing your precious baby. The vaccination schedule is so bad.  I was a vet tech intern for a while and saw so many overdoses, owners rushing their vomiting pet back to save its life.  At Petsmart Banfield, where I worked, we gave 3 at time sometimes because the customers plan offered it.  I could not believe it.  I quit because it was against my morals to give shots like this.  What I know is this, if you must give a vaccine, give 1 at a time and wait 2 months for the body to recover.  Do not give the combo-type vaccines.  I only give the 3 years rabies to my dogs and we all know that the shot is really good for 7 years. The lyme shot was killing lots of dogs in the beginning.   I encourage everyone to google   Dr. Jean Dodds and read her vaccination schedule, especially for puppies.  My holistic vet totally supports my attitude and does the same for her pets.  Even my other oldtime allopathic vet agrees with me not to give vaccines except rabies.  Therefore, I can not board due to no bordatella but I would never board anyway.The homeopathic remedy THUJA is for vaccine complications.  I don't know if it could have saved your baby.  Again, I am so sorry for your loss. This is just too sad :(
by ginger899Blank, Jun 08, 2011
Thank you for mentioning THUJA
I don't care who says what about homeopathic remedies, I have noticed them often working well and quickly with animals, and I am not unobservant, or stupid.
What potency would that be? 6 or 30?
by GB5683, Jun 09, 2011
I am with you.  My dog almost died after his 2nd booster shot at age about 4.   All were given at once.  I will only do rabies, as it is required by law.  
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jun 09, 2011
Hi Ginger.....My Vet also uses Thuja for Vaccine reactions.....Because I've never had to use it, I don't know the Potency or frequency....When I get a chance, I'll ask them.....Karla
by mydog2013, Jun 13, 2011
We had a similar outcome. This last weekend, we boarded our 7 year dog at our local vet because we were going to be away for 5 days. Besides being diagnosed with osteosarcoma about 2 months ago, she was thriving and comfortable on a non-steroidal analgesic and had no respiratory signs. Two days into our out-of-town visit, someone from the vet called to say our dog needed her mandatory flu vaccination. We were surprised because we did not think these were given beyond the flu season. Still, not knowing better, we asked her to go ahead with her shot. That was 3 days ago. Yesterday, we  got a call saying that she had become rather ill and was now vomiting. We were scheduled to return home, anyway, so had her picked up by a niece. When we arrived back home, our dog looked ill, was listless, had a drippy nose, had developed rapid breathing and was refusing to eat or drink. By morning, she had died. I too wonder, now, if her death was avoidable and may have been a vaccine side effect. My children are really sad, of course, but understand that while this was a premature it was perhaps a less painful way for her to go given her recent diagnosis of osteosarcoma. Still, very sad because she was such a terrific absolutely gentle and physically lovely large dog--a mastiff shepherd mix--one that everyone without exception loved.