Dogs Community
My Dog Died from his Vaccinations

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Dog Died from his Vaccinations

My healty, almost 9 year old standard poodle received his annual vaccines on Friday, May 27.  Saturday, May 28, he was unable to walk.  Over the course of the next 8 days, we visited 3 vets (5 visits) and 1 vet neurologist (2 visits).  The official diagnosis was "vestibular disease from vaccinosis."   Every medical professional told us he would snap out of it and get better.  Initially, we were told to wait it out, then he was put on a steroid regimen, and was on steroids with a holistic support approach and, in the end, immodium.  We finally put him out of his misery on June 5.  With all the professional help, I felt helpless as I watch my first born die.  No one seemed to acknowledge he was so sick.  I'm struggling for answers as to what happened and how it happened.  I do believe it was the shots that killed him.  Has anyone heard similar stories?  Was there anything we could have done to save him or make him comfortable?  RIP OSCAR.  
This story is heartbreaking, and I am really, really sorry this happened to him.
I have heard stories of bad reactions to vaccinations, some of them serious. I have an ongoing tussle with my vet about it. I do trust my vet in so many ways, but I now insist on a "Titer test" for my dog. One of the elements of the vaccination (leptospirosis) will not "titer" properly, so he told me, so I have to go with it, and let them give it to her. Either that, or expose her to the disease. I am between a rock and a hard place.
The other elements are not given yearly, but 3-yearly (my vet told me) I still insist on testing her for immunity.
The vets at my office I am sure think I am crazy and have picked up weird ideas from the internet. Their policy is vaccinate every time the vaccinations are due, and they do not reckon any adverse reactions (except swelling or redness at the injection site) have anything to do with the shots.
Once 2 years ago, after vaccination my dog suffered 2 days of diarrhea and vomiting. And she is a healthy fit dog. She was fine afterwards, but it scared me. I was CONVINCED it was intimately connected with those shots, and the fact that she is getting older. I think it overloads their immune systems. That was my wake-up call.

Yet people don't know what to do for the best, and resort to trusting their vets about it.

It sounds as if your Oscar was one of the unlucky ones.
Yet he was also very lucky because you loved him, and tried to do your very best for him.
It breaks my heart to read this.
Thank you for your empathy.  I am heartbroken, in shock, and can't believe I did this to my most loyal and favorite of friends.  I've never before been blessed with a dog so devoted.    In the 2 days I've had time to research, I've learned so much.  Vaccines are so bad, they definitely killed Oscar, especially something called Lepto.  Like you, I had a huge fear of vaccines.  I believe in Angels and the Holy Spirit.  I believe they were warning me and I wished I'd listened.  I know you'll do the best for your baby.  Listen to your Mother's Heart.  I have found a Holistic Vet for future non-vaccination and proper care.  Thanks again for your help.

This is so sad, you thought you were doing your best for your dog, and believed all the vets were right.  It is really scary, you don't know whats the right thing to do anymore.  I'm so sorry for you and Oscar.
Oh My! This is not only Heartbreaking, but I'm furious for you! Why does this keep happening?
You DO know that this is not your fault? We entrust our pet's care to Drs. that are suppose to be smarter than we.....Yet, time & time again I find myself trying to figure out another canine problem & what to do about it...

All 27 Veterinary Teaching Schools in the US suggest 3 yr. vaccines instead of yearly....Although, the majority of Vet Practices continue with every Year...Why is that? Because it is normally their majority of income!

I found out a few years back that my regular Vet (Used them for years) was Vaccinating EVERY YEAR with the 3YR. vaccine! What? Yet, they never told the client and it didn't read so on the certificate....Were they poisoning my dogs? I think so, I'm sorry to say....

I since, have changed Vets & my dogs have not been Vaccinated since......I have blood titers run for Parvo & Distemper and all my dogs (3yrs. later) still had very high antibodies to the vaccines....No need to re-vaccinate.....My new (Holistic) Vet did NOT vaccinate for Rabies either, but gave me the tag & certificate that said he did.....He said my dogs were Seniors & they needed NO more....They are 7yrs., 8yrs., 10yrs.....

He refuses to use the Lepto vaccine and says he would rather treat the disease.....He also said it irritates him when clients come in and demand vaccines (Yearly)....He says that sometimes it's hard to get through to people that their dogs don't need it. We have been told we need these, our whole lives.....

So, that's my experience w/vaccines.....I am heartbroken on your behalf.....Please, don't beat yourself up.....You did every thing right......I am so sorry for you and Oscar...I don't know what else to say, but your in my prayers....Please, come back and let us know how your doing........Sincerely, Karla
I am so sorry for losing your precious baby. The vaccination schedule is so bad.  I was a vet tech intern for a while and saw so many overdoses, owners rushing their vomiting pet back to save its life.  At Petsmart Banfield, where I worked, we gave 3 at time sometimes because the customers plan offered it.  I could not believe it.  I quit because it was against my morals to give shots like this.  What I know is this, if you must give a vaccine, give 1 at a time and wait 2 months for the body to recover.  Do not give the combo-type vaccines.  I only give the 3 years rabies to my dogs and we all know that the shot is really good for 7 years. The lyme shot was killing lots of dogs in the beginning.   I encourage everyone to google   Dr. Jean Dodds and read her vaccination schedule, especially for puppies.  My holistic vet totally supports my attitude and does the same for her pets.  Even my other oldtime allopathic vet agrees with me not to give vaccines except rabies.  Therefore, I can not board due to no bordatella but I would never board anyway.The homeopathic remedy THUJA is for vaccine complications.  I don't know if it could have saved your baby.  Again, I am so sorry for your loss. This is just too sad :(
Thank you for mentioning THUJA
I don't care who says what about homeopathic remedies, I have noticed them often working well and quickly with animals, and I am not unobservant, or stupid.
What potency would that be? 6 or 30?
I am with you.  My dog almost died after his 2nd booster shot at age about 4.   All were given at once.  I will only do rabies, as it is required by law.  
Hi Ginger.....My Vet also uses Thuja for Vaccine reactions.....Because I've never had to use it, I don't know the Potency or frequency....When I get a chance, I'll ask them.....Karla
We had a similar outcome. This last weekend, we boarded our 7 year dog at our local vet because we were going to be away for 5 days. Besides being diagnosed with osteosarcoma about 2 months ago, she was thriving and comfortable on a non-steroidal analgesic and had no respiratory signs. Two days into our out-of-town visit, someone from the vet called to say our dog needed her mandatory flu vaccination. We were surprised because we did not think these were given beyond the flu season. Still, not knowing better, we asked her to go ahead with her shot. That was 3 days ago. Yesterday, we  got a call saying that she had become rather ill and was now vomiting. We were scheduled to return home, anyway, so had her picked up by a niece. When we arrived back home, our dog looked ill, was listless, had a drippy nose, had developed rapid breathing and was refusing to eat or drink. By morning, she had died. I too wonder, now, if her death was avoidable and may have been a vaccine side effect. My children are really sad, of course, but understand that while this was a premature it was perhaps a less painful way for her to go given her recent diagnosis of osteosarcoma. Still, very sad because she was such a terrific absolutely gentle and physically lovely large dog--a mastiff shepherd mix--one that everyone without exception loved.
I'm terribly sorry about your loss, too....IMO, The Flu Vaccine is very dangerous and should never be used.....I agree w/you....It sounds as if the Vaccine gave your dog the Flu, that ended his life....

Your Vet is Liable here as NO dog with any illness should be vaccinated....Your dog who was already fighting Cancer, thus a weak immune system, functioning on reserve at best....Add to that, the Flu & that's all he could take....

This shouldn't have happened and I would NOT leave it alone......

The Flu Vaccine IS NOT mandatory & this was a ridiculous request on your Vet Clinics Part. You have called them and told them that they killed your dog, haven't you?

If you have other dogs, please seek out a New Vet for their medical care.....I would not EVER, use this one again.....

Again, I'm sorry for your heartbreak & sadness.......Take care, Karla
hi, reading this has made me worried. My 9 year old beagle is going back to the vet this week to receive his heartgard plus medication, annual Lepto and his Rabies shot(3 years have passed).

Are all of these things mandatory in Canada? They said the lepto and rabies is a combination shot. Also the heartgard is given as a prevention strategy.
I hate vaccines.  My 8  year old german shepherd had to get a rabies shot last month because it's required by law.  Shortly afterwards his behavior changed.  He got very nervous, was pacing, startled at everything and actually walked around the house and yard continously for 2 hours.  I took him to the vet who could find nothing wrong with him.  When I mentioned the rabies shot he said no way but I know it was a reaction to the shot.  This went on for about 10 days.  Plus he chewed on his leg in 2 places and has lick granulomas on both legs.
I had an older cat who was an adopted feral..he did not live inside because he hated it.  He sprayed everything even though he was neutered when we were able to catch him and take him to the vet.  He also spent most of his indoor time hiding.  So we let him live outside, he was happier.  But we had raccoons around so he had to get his rabies.  Took him for the shot and about 4 hours later I noticed that one pupil was dilated and his lid was droopy and he would lose his balance and fall over when he tried to stand up and walk. Vet couldn't figure out what had happened. He never got any better.  We had to put him to sleep.
Amber98. You better be careful. After reading all these horror stories the owner needs to use common sense.  If you kill your dog like I almost did you will never forgive yourself.  Also, I have always wondered why a 4 lb. dog gets the same vaccine of let's say a 104 lb. dog.
Oscar's Mom here.  Thank you so much to all of you for your empathy and, most importantly, for your answers!  I've learned so much!  LEPTO is a known killer, Oscar had never been boarded in his life, nor would he have been.  Someone mentioned NEVER to give the combo shots and she is right - NEVER give the combo shots.  Rabies is mandated every 3 years - the vaccine is rated for three (as someone mentioned, we know it is good for seven) - Oscar was given the shot every year!  Still trying to determine legality of the other vaccines here in Colorado - county vs. city vs. state - and none of the different entities knows for sure the other's policy.  Distemper is the only other legally mandated vaccine - we think - and that would be 3 years.  I had never heard of THUJA, the homeopathic vet we saw in the end did not treat Oscar with this.  The good news is this:  Oscar's death won't be for naught.  If he saves one dog because of my ignorance, yay!  I'm becoming less ignorant about this issue of Vaccine Overdosing (and the loss of a loved one that society really doesn't awknowledge) and will educate Oscar's Vets, his Neuorologist, his neighbors, friends, and family, especially now about THUJA.  And, Oscar saved Brian - a small mixed breed found on the streets of downtown Denver who desperately needed a home.  Brian knows he is here to honor Oscar as Oscar could NEVER be replaced.  The day Rocket (Oscar's brother) and I went to the shelter so Brian could choose us was the 1st day since Oscar died that Rocket smiled or wagged his tail.  I'll update as I continue to learn more about this undiscovered horror of overdosing our sweet Creatures that God has entrusted to us.  Thank you again for all your love and support.  RIP OSCAR 6/15/02 - 6/5/22      
Yes R.I.P. Oscar.
And Brian...welcome to your new, loving Pack.
Blessings, Oscar's Mom.
I stopped at the vet this morning to drop off my two German Shepherds for a grooming.  I was told when I arrived that they were due for their MANDATORY canine flu vaccination.  I was shocked and told them that I had never heard of that, and they said (in Georgia) effective July 1, 2011, the shot is mandatory and would cost $30. per dog.  I stood there dumbfounded for a moment, and asked...mandatory?  To which I was assured it was.  So, I told them I was getting tired of surprise shots (seems that every time I take them in for a grooming there is something else they need) and that if this did not stop I would seek another vet.  Now I am reading all of these webposts today about it not being mandatory and how I should not do so, unless it is truly necessary.  Can a vet require the shot to have the dog in for 6 hours to be groomed?  Please advise.
Hello & welcome.....There are a few posts from another person, that the same thing happened to her & her German Shepherd (A Mandatory Flu Vaccine)....You might want to scroll through the last few pages of this forum....Her posts are by Sky'sMom.....The Flu Vaccine gave her dog an Autoimmune disease that ended her life.....
In the future, you could look around for a private groomer & not use your Vet for grooming.....Please come back and let us know how your dogs are doing.....Karla
P.S. To find a Holistic Vet in your area: Go to the AHVMA websight...There is a search by state to locate a Vet...Their Vaccine Protocols are much different than what your use to.....
Her original thread is on Page 10 of this forum....By Skysmom111 on Aug. 17....I'm sorry, I can't remember the title, but you need to find it and read the thread.....She has other threads as well, since then....Karla
Title is "Dog Vaccine".....On Page 10    Good luck!
okay, my dog was at the vet yesterday and was supposed to get his annual lepto and rabies shot and I said no because we are switching vets. I know it's mandatory but I'm not getting it. He is already a senior and he rarely has contact with other animals so I don't see a reason for putting him through another set of vaccinations when he is so old. I know i'm taking a chance, but I'd rather do that than take the chance of him dying due to his vaccine. So thank you to the poster, I think my dog will do fine without his vaccines. He is already on antibiotics & heart worm meds, so I don't want to add anything else.
what is the lepto shot, i live in GA and will not get my fur-baby the flu shot. i try to avoid as many of thoses shots as i can. the last shot i got at petsmartmade her hair fall out where she got it on leg thats been 2 years and she still has a bald spot there it was the rabies i think. but i know we have to have that . so there is a test you can do to see if its still good?  shes due her shots in a few months and am thinking of not doing them. only thing is i have wild cats behind my house who do not get shots would i be putting her into danger by not getting them?
Vaccines almost killed my 9 lb. Maltese.  It was his third and last shots for him.  I did get the Rabbis as it is required by law in FL - that was about  2 yrs. ago.  He is 8 yrs. old and now dying slowly of Cushings, Thyroid Disease, has had breathing problems for 4+ yrs, and has horrible skin conditions. I called my local Animal Control and they said the dog does not have to have any shots if the vet approves it (i.e. sick, old, etc.)   Vaccines are very controversial and I would never have the boosters again after my exp. 3 yrs. ago or so (even when he was still healthy) .--see sentence it almost killed him - lethargic, foaming at the mouth, vomiting and diareaha - this was about 3 yrs. ago.  I cried for 2 days thinking I killed my baby trying to take care of him, but thankfully, he came out of the horrible reaction.  Thank God.  These drugs are lethal, unnesarry and a way for vets to make money --hey they can't make $$ of of fleas anymore.
Hello to Oscars Mom,
I am very sorry for your loss. My Goldie, a 10 year old Dachshund is a very happy little dog, with her son (and father to the the son). I had brought in my older Dachshund into the vet for an allergy he just picked up. I left Goldie with him because I had to take the youngest Dachshund to the eye doctor because he has diabetes. (Please everyone, don't let your dogs get obese like I did; you are killing them with love). The front desk said Goldie needed her yearly vaccinations. I have not vaccinated any of my dogs for more than 4 years. 2-3 days after her vaccinations for Distemper, Parvovirus, Rabies, Bordetella, my dogs stomach blew up. Took her in and they did blood work. Sonogram confirmed a large tumor mass on her liver and the tumor is bleeding into her stomach. She has maybe a week to live. Has anyone ever heard of or sued a Vet and won? If so, please forward that persons name and number. I live in South, Florida. Be well.
Our dog is almost 13, and I decided not to get her distemper shot this time, I have read that the effects of the shot last a lot longer than the stated three years.  Other than a rabies shot, I don't plan on getting her any other shots because of her age.
My then-3 year old Cocker Daschund mix got her yearly combo of shots.  Within a couple weeks she came down with severe pancreatitis.Besides myself, I personally know 2 other pet owners whose dogs came down with pancreatitis within a month of vaccination.

While I have never again had my dogs get the all-in-one vaccinations I am now dealing with my Maltese's reaction to kennel cough vaccine (needed it for boarding).  She has had several neurological problems since vaccination, et the vet insists vaccines have nothing to do with it.
Jan 30th this year, I took my two older, standard poodles 12.6 yrs old, and 11.3 yrs old, to the vet to have their teeth checked, and also they both have been complaining of ear itchiness, and shaking of their heads. So I took them to the vet. I was told by my groomer to use Vnox for ear yeast, so but I had been treating both of my dogs with that.
Well I had the vet just check them to see how their ears were and he did seemed to be alarmed, and suggested to continue to use the ear cortisone, and he suggested that they both should get their vaccinations, a 3 -N-1 and also a kennel cough.
Since my younger of the two, needed to have his teeth cleaned, he did not get the vaccines until the following week.
Now here's the issue!!!! After 2 weeks my 12.6 yr. old red, who had already had a compromised immune system because of treating him (his ears) with the vnox, a hydrocortisone, and then the vaccines, he is now not feeling well , at all, he'd just stand there and not move. He stopped eating, and drinking water, and was warm, and was lethargic.
Yes! He did have a yeast problem with his ear, hip arthritis, and it was difficult for him to always take a BM, for he'd fall sometimes, but other than that.... he was happy, he'd play, he ate really good, even loved going bye bye, all that.
I told the vet “I really didn't want him to have the vaccines,” “because I thought with his age, and the hip thing, he was not probably the strongest,” but I was most assuredly convinced by the vet it would not harm him! So, we allowed them to give our older dog King his vaccines and kennel cough! 2 weeks later, I called the vet, and told them he was not feeling well, and his condition, for he was very weak, and we took him back to the vet, where they ended up checking his temp, which read 105, and so they gave him a saline drip, and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection, and an anti biotic, and sent us home.
We thought King might be getting better, because he went pee, but that was his last pee, and in the morning I woke up in throw-up, and cleaned him up, and I gave him a cold wash rag rub down to cool him, and tried to give him droplets of water, but this was futile.  He started weeping, and kind of, like barking a little, like he did, when he wanted to tell you something, also his mouth was foaming, I called the vet and brought him in, he had very little dilation of the pupils. And he passed on there, he died, gone from his mommy, the one person who did everything she thought was for his good.
I know without any doubt in my heart, that his lessened immune system because of his age, then the cortisone for his ears then the vaccines, is what killed my baby, and subsequently the vet killed my dog.
I am not a doctor, and I have always done for my babies the best, by not getting routine vaccinations, and only twice getting rabies in their life time, because we had too, for travel. I home make their food, using pulped veggies, and brown rice with turkey, and kibble. My dogs have always been healthy, except my one dog and his teeth, and then their ear problem, the kibble, or biscuits we give them, are more than likely the culprit for the yeast problem.
My older dog was not in perfect health, but he was what we would expect of an elder, perhaps? But he was aging gracefully, with some stiff joints, He played with his babies, and ate really good, and his BM were perfect solid. He had so much more time to live, and we were robbed because of the lack of knowledge of our vet, the lack of knowledge of the consumer, me! And the pushers of these vaccines, that tend to contribute to the greed of the vets to push their vaccines. However, these vaccines are often times killing innocent and healthy dogs. The manufactures of these dreadful drugs and the people who are demanding our pets get these vaccines are contributing to our beloveds deaths in so many cases.
Death is a part of life, but responsible, loving people do not set out be contributors of killing their dog children. It’s wrong, and we need to be educated. I thought I was, and then I decide to put my trust in our vet, a bad choice, which resulted in my babies death.
I wish I had known about the titers test? I wish my doc would have given me the option? Why didn’t he??? One more thing, I read you should never give a dog a vaccine to a dog whom has had his immune system compromised. First getting older, lessen the immune system?? , and he was using the Vnox,) cortisone, which is a known immune system deflator. His Immunity should have been tested before a vaccine was given!!!! And it should have been especially tested, because I was concerned. Listen to yourselves folks.
Note: if your pet has an ear yeast problem, use a homeopathic solution; 1/16th cup white vinegar, with 1/16th cup warm water. Using a Qtip, soak then in the solution, and slowly, gently drip a little into dogs ear canal, rub the out of the lower ear, then gently clean around some of the orbitals. Avoid at all cost any steroids, cortisones, and diets, and stress; these contribute to so many other issues, like that Candida Alibican, which can lead to leaking gut, yeast infection, which lead to all sorts of other problems, cancer included. I read to build the immune system, use a bovine, Nzynes, Pet Colostrum, with 95 immune factors, and 85 natural growths. I am so, so sorry for any, and all your losses, I too did believe in the system, but although there may be some great doc out there, we need to be educated still.
Although I'm late in posting we had the exact same experience with our little carmella, we also took her to a neuroligist for dogs in irvine ca, after another vet wanted to put her down thinking it was distemper, after reading online about adverse reactions to shots and she just had them a week prior I new her symptoms were that not distemper, they said online something about a shot of steroids rather than oral, that seemed to help and over a week she began showing recovery and two weeks later she was walking, 3 weeks later running, we began oral steroids but it worked, that and prayer, I am very sorry to those who can't help a baby who is sick and know the feeling of a lifeless baby in your arms, let's hug our furry friends close tonight and enjoy them while we have them, if this post some day helps someone in the same situation then it was worth it, God Bless You
I took my 18 year old Lhasa poo for his rabies shot yesterday and now today he can't walk at all. He has thrown up twice will not eat can't even walk to go out to the bathroom he has to be carried. He seems to have a fever and just lays around. When he tries to stand up he just falls over. I don't know what to do for him. I can't go to vets looking for answers because vets are very expensive just an office visit here is $80. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what might be wrong?? I don't know what to do.
Call the vet asap who administered the shot!
First I would like to say sorry to all who have had their dogs die suddenly.

My dog Benji died Yesterday, He is a pomeranian 14.5 years old. He Died 3 days after his annual boosters. He was on medication for Hyperthroidism and Epileptic fits. His mediation was Soloxine .3mg and Phenobarbital 15mg. On Wednesday night he began vomiting and passing blood. Over the previous 3 years he has suffered this after his annual vaccinations. We rang the vet at 8:30am the vet wanted him brough up, but we didn't have any transport. A couple of calls and speaking to the head vet, he promised to come down and collect our dog, This was at 12 O'clock, He was collected at 5PM, They said they thought it was advanced Pancreatic Cancer, On Thursay Moring at 7am, we got a call to say he survived the night but between the hours of 6am and 7am he had died. He suffered greatly waiting for the vet to collect him. Dry wretching and vomiting passing blood during the day. We  collected his body yesterday, and are planning to bury him in the backyard. My wife is very distrought.
I think it is strange the way Vets treat people and their pets just like cash cows. Could this have been prevented. I think yes. I blame the vet.

On Saturday the 8th I took my 12 week old puppy for her 3rd set of vaccines to Petsmart (Banfield) (3 vaccines at 1 time), On Sunday the 9th I came home from having lunch (gone about 1 1/2 hours) and found her dead. It appeared that she had vomited and could not get all of it out of her throat so she had a horrible death of choking on her vomit. She was a beautiful Mini- Schnauzer (5.7lbs)... I blame the vet for the vaccinations but how can I prove it?
that breaks my heart to hear that about Oscar!! My doberman is like my child and I am starting to feed him a raw diet and want to find a natural way to keep fleas off of him! I already have noticed a shinier coat on him! It is wonderful and he has not itched from his allergies in a few days! I keep my fingers crossed! I really never want to give my dog his rabies shot because after his shot he broke out in allergies and scratches his stomach alot and had hot spots on his feet. I really changed everything in my house to figure out what it really is but I still do not know so I began to strengthen his system! I do not want rabies shot but he is on soloxine for thyroid which to get help with his meds I need to have his rabies shot !! Any one know anything about this
Our angel was administered vaccines and died  within  a few days after suffering with fever and vomiting. I beleive she suffered from "common practice". I  will tell everyone i know about the ' titer testing'  you mentioned. my vet could have earned just as much in lab fees for a titer test and then a vaccination should she have actually needed it.  Instead he has lost my confidence and my business.  Rest in peace my Charlie Grace....
On Tuesday, My black lab Chloe(4 yrs old) received her distemper shot, bortadella shot...and was also recommended to have the lyme vaccine because, according to the vet tech reviewing Chloe's vaccine status with me, recommended the lyme vaccine citing an increase in the number of cases in the area.  Chloe had tested negative for lymes which they checked for with her heartworm test.
The tech NEVER mentioned possible adverse effects of the lyme vaccine either related to Chloe possibly getting lyme disease like symtoms (symptoms)(lyme vaccination disease) nor was I told anything about the immune system response and those effects. I would have declined the shot. When the vet examined Chloe and gave her the vaccines..she didn't say anything about side effects.  Most of yesterday after the shot Chloe was lethargic...but her appetite was good and she had short "bursts" of energy and play with her sisters..Wednesday morning..Chloe seemed very lethargic...and almost like she would tense up when I petted her....she was very "mopey" and not her usual bright eyed, goofy, happy go lucky dog.  I called tne vet...they said fatigue common after shots....but I recall Chloe chewing on a stick the other day..so I wondered if possible obstruction?? Vet did xrays and lab work..everything was fine...At the vet she was fully of energy..pulling on the leash....they didn't see the Chloe I saw at home...so the released her and said to watch her for the next few days. Once I got her home Wednesday...she went to sleep...but when she got up..she was that mopey, sad looking girl...and seemed in pain somehow...her usual happy "trot" now a slow walk...Just not my usual Chloe. A mother knows... Then I started reading about the lymes vaccine and the autoimmune response...and now I am panicked that this is what is happening. I was awake most of the night reading. Researching too late...and like Oscar and the others I feel like a bad Mom...why didn't I ask or research possible side effects of lyme vaccine before giving it to her?  Also....she is a rescue..who had been treated for heartworm at the shelter before we brought her home 18 months ago, but continued to be heartworm positive for for the entire year after that...so we did antigen testing on her...and the level kept increasing..so my poor Chloe went thru the 6 month heartworm treatment protocol...which she finished in December of 2012. Thankfully she was heartworm NEGATIVE in May of 2013.  So in reading about lyme vaccine it should be used in healthy dogs...Because of Chloe's hx of hearworm and that treatment ...I'm not sure if she qualifies as 100% healthy...and I remeber having Chloe home the nite of her first of three shots for heartworm...she became so lethargic I could barely wake her....her heart rate was very, very fast, and she felt cold to me...I thought she was surely going into shock..and when I called the emergency vet..they said that what Chloe was having could happen...and she would be ok...And eventually she sdid bounce back..
Now this reaction.....it is about 5 am and Choe did jump on the bed with me...seemed to hesitate but jumped up....and her tail is wagging and she seems more energetic...but then goes back to sleep. I have been praying all day yesterday and all through the night that she is ok....  I am angry that the vet never mentioned the side effects...isn't that negligence? Like someone in another post said...you trust these vets to know what is right and good for you babies...and then stuff like this happens. I am sorry to all of you who lost your precious babies....I know that emptiness in your heart will be there always...as I have lost other babies...the worst being a ruptured hemangiosarcoma. I just try and tell myself that the one thing my dogs loved the most is when they made me smile or saw me smile at them and talk in happy voice.....  And that they would be upset to know that your missing them takes that smile away. I just try and remember the joy of living with them rather than reliving the becomming stagnant over how they died.  

Are the vets liable for negligence if they don't advise you of all treatment
options and their possible effects that can happen? Shouldn't they advise you of possible side effects....re,ated to vaccines. When I consented to lymes vaccine...It was not an "informed" consent..inthat all of the risks were not explained to me.  the vet tech did say it was my choice...but I didn't think the lyme vaccine would be any different than the others....How would I know that..??  Now I know better...

I will call the vet at 7:30..when they open and ask for a month supply of doxycycline...I know that won't help id Chloe gets an autoimmune response...but it should help with the lyme-like symptoms she is having...
Please everyone..say a prayer for my sweet girl and keep your fingers and paws crossed that she is ok...

Thank you....
Joann
I am so so very sorry about your Oscar.  I have a 5 year old Male standard, Charlie who got sick after the shots the end of July. He has been back and forth to the vet, meds, steroid, xrays.. I am convinced it is the shots, I had a feeling just before and wish I had listened. With in 30 minutes he threw up and went poop as he was lying down. He seemed lethargic, but no more obvious "sickness, but continued with the lethargy. I noticed he "changed" - stopped playing with his toys, stopped chewing his raw hides, and sometimes yelped when he tried to pick up his leash that he loves to do when going for a walk.He sleeps alot,  It seems was not as obvious, or serious as what happened initially to your baby, but I took him to the vet for an exam. In case of an infection we started with antibiotics, then 2 weeks later prednisone, no real improvement and weight loss, still on pred, now also taking Azathioprine, as the vet believes he has an auto immune disease affecting his chewing muscles. He yelps in pain when anyone attempts to open his mouth - to exam or administer meds.  he has lost a few lbs. He had x rays last week. He is eating a mixture of high quality canned food with his dry and chicken broth added. Still lies around alot, only perks up when going for a walk or ride but wants to lie down when he gets back. I believe it was the shots - he was fine before that. Not sure how we protect ourselves from this kind of thing, not sure if we are on the right track. Any advice or help. I am doing what I can but am petrified. Planning to see a specialist if this doesnt improve. He is my precious baby and I feel I am responsible for this. Again I am so very sorry about Oscar. I know your heart is broken. I am hoping and praying Charlie gets past this.
Hi - praying for you and Chloe. My Charlie is having the same kinds of symptoms, He did not have the Lyme disease vaccinations, just the regular yearly ones. He is lethargic (perks up a the vet too) but sleeps alot. Doesnt play, etc. .. petrified like you for him as well as feeling very very guilty.I rescued him 2 years ago. He has epilepsy too, and I had to change vets as the previous one gave him meds for a lick granuloma that could have adverse effects (NOT to be used for dogs with epilepsy) .. now this.. I know its the shots - not sure what to do at this point, trying to believe that this vet knows what he is doing but all the meds have me worried, and no great improvement.. about the same. Prayers are going up for you and your Chloe, and please say one for me and Charlie also. Thank you! Hoping and praying for the best for our babies.
A Holistic Vet can administer either Thuja or Lynsen(SP?) to reverse vaccine reactions......To locate one in your area, go to the AHVMA webpage and do a state search.....Karla

P.S. Dogs should not get yearly vaccines....If your Vet practices this "old school" method, you need to find a new Vet!

Here's a good link about vaccine reactions:

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/
My sweet ka iulani 11mos old after 4 mo struggle died massive seizure neurological.  a horrific death is all I will say to describe it!
she got shots and was never the same:(
she was 6lbs of love.                               kaiulanislove1111
Found this thread afte my 6 year old GSD suffered a bad reaction to the parve/distemper booster 2 weeks ago. We are on our first week of steriod treatment after vomitting after the shot, diaherria 2 days later, lethargy, depression, nausea and refusal to eat play or interact with us for 9 days. In those 9 days I was at the vet 4 times, and daily phone calls. I really thought she was going to die. I insisted on tne steriod regime, and there has been a huge improvement in her eating. She is starting to perk up, but still not the active happy healthy dog she was before the shot. Before the steriod treatment she would eat nothing, not even steak. She lost 7 lbs in a week. We will now be vaccine free. She will be titered, and I am insisting on a medical exclusion for rabies in May. The Lyme vaccine is a joke. She has had that forever and frontline plus, and still tested positive for lyme, as many other dogs i know have. The Lepto, also a joke unless yoiu live in the wetlands, or allow your dog to be exposed to stagnated water. Bordatella..if you are kennelling only, or doggy daycare. Once your dog is immune, the vaccine does not make them any more immune. Pay the extra 50.00 and have your dog titered! You could save their lives.
They never should have given all those vaccines at one time. Sadly there is no way of knowing which vaccine caused tbe reaction. This is another thing I can not stand. They give multiple vaccines at one visit instead of spacing them out. Don't ever allow that. Reschedule and space vaccines out.
I'm in Australia and my 5 year old Miniature Schnauzer got her KC Kennel Cough vaccination 3 weeks ago, 1 week ago she started having trouble walking, ended up completely paralysed and could not even hold her own head up.
This had happened one year ago with the same vaccine, but with 3 months of intensive care, physio and aqua therapy she learnt to walk again and had a normal and healthy life, you would never have known she was ever paralysed. No one would admit or confirm it was due to the vaccine though, we thought the vet that administered it had messed up and injected it in/near her spinal chord which in turn fried her nervous system.

This time though, she died, in our arms at 3am when she stopped breathing, my husband and I honestly thought we could nurse her through it and knew we were never vaccinating her again. But that decision came too late and she died. If just one of the vets had told us we didnt need her vaccinated we would still have our baby girl.
I searched on google for answers on why my tea cup poodle cannot walk right after he received his vaccination. my mom and sister are so heartbroken not being able to understand why this poor dog cannot walk. we took him back to the vet and they said they dont know why the dog cant walk and recommended us to the doctor, but they only gave our dog vitamins and some type of steroid. our dog walked but couple ours later again he was dragging his feet. i am so upset with whats happening and after reading these post, i fear that we will loose benji. i pray that he recovers but something has to be done in justice for our pets who are also family members with much worth.