Dogs Community
My dog not eating and no energy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog not eating and no energy

I have a male golden retriever, he is 11 years old and I'm extremely worried.
My dog hasn't been eating properly for the past few weeks, he refuses to eat his  normal food so we've been cooking him rice/eggs/meat/liver etc. Then after a while he doesn't eat himself unless we feed him by hands..and now he doesn't eat at all.  Though he does eat some type of snacks. Now, he doesn't seem to have the energy to get up. He would try to get up but his legs seems to be weak or something. I tried helping him up and everything but I don't know what is wrong. Just now, he got up to drink some water but I noticed that he was sort of limping. I'm really worried and I don't know what to do. Please help me figure out what could be the problem and why is he sick. Is he depressed? Bored of food? Thank you so much for your time.
This is beyond what anyone online can really help you with.  Your dog needs to go to a vet, and soon.  If money is an issue, I posted some hints a few posts down about how to help pay for vet bills.

But you really can't let this go on a lot longer.  Please post back and let us know what you find out.  I know what its like to worry about your best friend.
You need to take him to the vet.  There are so many possibilities that could be wrong with him.  Did you feed him any of the recalled pet food? Could he gotten into any poisons?  It could be his time, the life expectancy for a golden retriever is 10 to 13 years.

Take him to the vet and Good Luck!
My young puppy just went through this and ended up being a stomach like flu he gave her some intestinal med to calm her stomach and after 2 days she's eats like normal
ASAP.

A golden puppy who is weak and not eating well - and been going on for weeks - needs immediate medical attention.
Has he had any teeth cleanings lately? This is close the age where annual cleanings are necessary to remove tarter buildup. Take him to the vet and they can check his jaw teeth along with many other things as there can be many things that can cause loss of appetite. Let us know how he is doing.
Please help me.  My dog isn't eating his food and I do not have any money to take him to a vet.  I saw that you said you would post something regarding this, but I didn't see anything.  He also has mucous in his eyes, at first I thought it was parvo but now he is drinking water and his nose isn't dry at the moment.  Can you please email me at ***@****.
My Rotweiller, at age 5, demonstrated the same symptoms.  I took him him to the vet immediately, in Feb. 06.  He had an enlarged prostate gland.  He passed on May 4, 06.  Turns out he had prostate cancer that eventually moved into his lungs.  Don't want to scare you, but the symptoms sound so familiar to me.  The dog needs to see his doctor.
My 10 year old female Golden Retriever is doing exactly the same thing.  The last few weeks she was having a few days of not really wanting to eat then she would perk up and gobble down a big bowl of food.  It has been about two weeks now that she has not perked up.  Today she seems very week and is breathing hard. She is having a hard time going up and down the stairs and is just staring into space.   I took her to the vet a few days ago and he said to try to feed her wet food and to wait another week.  I am going to call tomorrow since it is only getting worse.  She ate the wet food for one setting and now wont even look at it.  I made her a steak last night and she did eat that but I am not sure if it didn't shock her system.  She is 10 but I am not ready to face the reality of this.  I will post what I find out at the vet.  I think they start with blood test, then utlra sounds and x-rays.  He did bring up the C word but we are hoping for the best.  Also, her eyes have been goopy for a year or so and the vet hs said not to worry too much and gives me drops.  Our other Golden (9yrs) has polyups on the bladder they found last year and it is so expensive for just the tests alone.  What do you do though?  Our credit card companies are having a good year.  Advise to all young dog owners - get pet insurance.
You will probably get more responses if you create a new post with your topic.  That said, definitely get some basic labs done to check liver, pancreas and kidney function.  If at all possible, bring in a first-morning urine sample as well.  Just put her on a leash and pop a cup underneath her as soon as she squats.  If you can't get to the vet within an hour or so, put the sample in the fridge.  There's no need to jump to the cancer conclusion just yet.  In the meantime, don't feed a bunch of fatty foods.  If you feed steak, cut off any excess fat.  If your dog has a pancreas problem, fat can be deadly.

Are there any other symptoms you've noticed?  Increased or decreased water intake?  Constipation or diarrhea?  Bowel noises?  Gas?  Any observations will help your vet with a diagnosis.

One thing you can do for a dog with tummy troubles is feed chicken (canned, boiled or roasted) with white rice.  Swanson's low-sodium broth can also be helpful for tempting sickly dogs into getting a little appetite worked up and fluids inside.  Not much in the way of calories, but it's better than nothing.  Unless kidneys are an issue, reglan is a great short-term medication for nausea that is also very cheap.
Thank you for your advise.  We took Zoe in yesterday and she had a tumor on the spleen and was hemmoraging.  They took her into surgery and she made it until they stapled her up then rolled her over and her heart gave out.  My pretty baby girl is gone and it is unbareable today.  Just looking for her in the spots she lays and hoping she will be there.  My other dog was out following her tracks in the snow this morning which broke my heart. It seems so quite without her.  I wish the vet had done the tests last week when I took her in.  They could have removed the spleen before it hemmoraged.  We are very sad and my heart goes out to all of you who have ever lost a four legged family member.  She was our first born and 10 years old, her bother is 9 and the cat is 8.  We don't have any human kids and they truly are the meaning of our lives.  
Oh!  I am so sorry for your loss!  What a horrible experience for you.  The one blessing in all this is that Zoe didn't suffer long.  I know how difficult it is right now, but try to focus on the wonderful long years she had with you.  When animals and people die, it's usually a messy situation.  Not many of us are blessed to just go in our sleep.  Time really will heal the wounds on your heart.
Thank you - it is sad and we were very blessed to have her for 10 years. I am now the crazy lady that is talking to my imaginary dog.  I am sure it will get easier but I will never forget her and she will always be in my heart.  Every day the tears have been less and I know I will meet her again at the Rainbow Bridge.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to everyone and for truly caring about these wonderful furry friends of ours.  
I had to put my dog down on Saturday, the 15th of December.  My heart is broken.  How are you doing? My dog was 12 and had advanced heart disease and (without knowing) the beginning of kidney disease.  She was a slow dog at this point but very content.  2 weeks ago she was attacked by a german shepherd while my husband was walking her.  She survived the bites, but within the next week she stopped eating completely and her kidney values were very high.  Treating the heart disease and kidney disease contradict each other so we felt it best to put her down before she wasted away from not eating (her joy of her life!) or gasping for breath from her heart condition.  It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, and I have peace and yet guilt at the same time.  I miss her soooo much...I was was wondering how you are handling the loss of Zoe.  May  God bless her!!  I wish you peace.
the best bet is the vet if u wait u might do more harm than good and ask about his teeth
I have a 16 yr old doberman and from last two weeks he refuses to eat anything , he has gone weak on his legs  and only eats if we force him to eat but very very less . he needs help to get up , sleep and walk , whole night he moans . almost every alternate day he is on IV . He keeps his mouth shut and very tight and head is always bent downwards . at times he keeps on crying . Doc says he is too old to do anything . Any suggestions please . Feel helpless and can not see him suffer like this . I think this would not go long like this .
Just found your post and saw that no one had replied to you. It may be late but I think that at this stage the only things you can do to help are to keep him nice and warm and to give comfort and love.  I'm sure dogs, like humans, can hear you even when they don't seem to be responding so just talk to him, tell him how wonderful he is and thank him for the 16years of devotion. Eventually you have to make a decision whether his quality of life is good enough and, if you feel it isn't, then you have to let him go with dignity. It's an amazingly hard thing to do but remember that it is something that we have to do for the dog we love so much, not for ourselves. I do hope that by now your dog will have rallied and you will not need my advice, but if not I hope it may help. God Bless
My 12 year old female has been so sick, I have taken her to my vet her blood count has been normal for months and she has been on several antibiotic.  Yesterday I took her to another vet, who was very aggersive with her testing.  She has a very high white count, but no reason for the count to be so high, yes I have spent over 800 dollars to try to help her and I do not care about the money, she is my best friend.  She is on another antibiotic, the problem is she is not eating and I have tried anything to get her to eat, if anyone can suggest what I can fix her please let me know, thanks
We have a almost 15 y/o female Golden; she is not doing well.  Stopped eating, everything!  She just turns her head.  I have tried everything in the kitchen.  She moans alot and breathes hard.  She has very little energy and severe diarhea (diarrhea).  I am the step mom to her; my husband rescued her from an abusive home nearly 13 years ago.  She is his heart and he wont deal with this.  We need to put her down so she suffers no more.  We are suppose to go out of town on Friday and return Sunday.  We have someone coming to stay with her at the house.  I don't think she will make it through the week.  My husband said he can't put her to sleep prior to the trip (it is business related for him).  I don't want her to die with out us being here for her.  How do I convince my husband the best thing for Chrissie is to let her go now?  She is suffering so.  She had an accident in the house last night.  I have been up with her since 3 this morning.  She is so tired.  I tell her everyday it is okay to let go.  This is such a difficult time for her and I don't know how my husband is going to handle it.  This is his favorite child (no 2 legged children for him).  Our other pets, 2 cats, are now avoiding her; I think they smell the death on her.

Thank you for letting me vent!
Hi, first of all I am so sorry for what you are going through.  I know how it feels all too well.  Can you try to take him to the vet before you go?  They might be able to give you good advice about what to do.  They might also determine she is so sick that she needs to be put down now, and then your hubby might be convinced easier.  I think if she died when you were out of town, you might deal with some guilt over it.  It is easier to ignore the problem when it is painful, (your hubby) But you don't want him to have any guilty feelings later.  You should tell him that too.  Keep us posted  and good luck, Hugs Shannon
You may want to make a new post so you will get more replies.  This is the end of an old one....
Hi, My dog Max is not eating.  He is a mixed breed, german shepperd and lab and will be 8 years this February.  He is a beautiful black dog and the entire neighborhood loves him! About a month and a half ago he began to lose his appetite... SO UNLIKE HIM! He has lost 30 pounds and is bony and weak.  For the past three days he has stopped eating altogether.  She has had blood labs, xrays, ultrasounds, etc. The vet wants to perform "experimental surgery" on him after stabilizing him... but I am afraid he is too weak and will not survive it.  We have tried everything: broth, chicken, babyfood, treats, rice, i mean.. everything!  I am terrified because we are watching him starve himself to death! Please tell me what to do, anybody.  He has an apt with a Holistic Doctor on Monday but it is Saturday evening and he hasn't eaten for the past 3 days... I am scared he won't make it.  He could hardly get up and is soooo weak.  I even tried to blow marijuana smoke in his face, to calm his nausea and give him an appetite, as I read may help, but it did not. He throws up, drinks water, and chews on grass... so I know it is not his teeth.  Sorry for going on but I am really scared, he is the heart and soul of this family!!! Please help, please reply... thanks

Korina Medina
i dont know if this will help but maybe you should get a blood test done, i found that my 8 year old dog had severe kidney failure in january & this sounds much like what she was like.
well
my 1yr old yorkshire terrier has completely stopped eating any form of dog (even cat) food i give him, ive tried every brand under the sun but he stil doesnt eat it , now, he will eat the odd bit of steak or chicken or rasher ect ill hand him or even cheese but hes now stopped eating those too. hes getting lifeless and im wondring what i should do. he also was knocked down by a car in may yet when i brought him to the vet they xrayed him and said he was fine , maybe this could be related ?? and i dont want to bring him to the vet as i payed €100 4 him last time when there was nothing wrong.

please help me !! :( :( :(

A one yr old not eating and being lifeless and lethargic needs to see a vet ASAP. This is not normal at all. Just because he was very lucky in may and nothing was found doesn't mean that is the case now.

He could have any number of things, but one of the main things to worry about w/ a lifeless puppy not eating could be Parvo, Heartworms, etc.. as they haven't had enough meds/yearly shots to build up an immunity.
And with some of these diseases, they can be fatal if not caught early. he needs a blood work up etc..
Please take him ASAP. Could have something internal happen w/ the accident or could be totally not related....but he needs to go.

Take care, wishing your pup well and healthy soon.
Teresa
Hi, I have a 6 year old German shephard...a large breed, around 100 pounds. He hasn't been eating last 3 days. He cannot get up/on a hill or anything as he seems weak in the knees. I should add that I haven't been able to give him as much attention as before because of work commitments (last few months). He was fine until 3 days ago. As I have read the previous posts, many have made the same inquiries, yet anyone have suggestions?
I took Max to the vet and I just found out he has cancer, something about showing up 82%. This comes a total shock as last time I saw him before last few days he was not eating, he was the most jumpy, happy dog.

Any suggestions for taking him to therapy or should I start thinking of letting him go? Right now my emotions are getting to me, not really knowing what the best decision would be for Max. Any help is appreciated.

i have a 4mo bit bull shes not eating for about 3days and she lost some wight. And  looks very sad and weak and not as playfull as befor i need help.

Is she up to date on her shots?   Is she drinking water?  Puppies can easily become dehydrated.  I would contact your vet.   3 days is too long for a puppy to go without eating,
especially when weight loss is noticeable.    Good luck!
Please, please, please take your pet to the vet as soon as you notice that they've stopped eating.  I have just come back from the vet because my dog hasn't been eating for a couple of days and after a blood test, found out that he has a tumour in his liver. :-(  The survival rate is very minimal apparently and they're taking him to a larger vet hospital tomorrow for some further scans.
He stopped eating about a month ago and we took him to the vet then and he was given some tablets and had some injections.  He recovered quickly and was eating normally until two days ago.  I am heartbroken and feel so helpless as you can imagine.
So my advice is to go to the vet ASAP.
I'm so sorry to hear your news...I hope the Hospital tomorrow will give you some hope. I'll be thinking about you and your furkid. Please, let us know what you find out...I'll be wondering...
P.S. I wish you would post this as a notice in the "new question" thread, so others will see it...Label it:  Dog NOT Eating!   Thank you & good luck...Karla
Sorry, the above post is for Pamsie....Not sure what I did!!!!   :(  
Thanks for your kind words.

He stayed overnight at the emergency vet clinic on a drip.  We took him to the larger vet clinic this morning and they were unable to do the ultrasound as he was too weak and also because they couldn't locate his liver properly on the scans.  So, they operated on him to find out what was wrong and it appears that his liver has shrunk and has lesions on it.  His pancreas is also not doing too good and he has inflammation of pretty much everything.  It is not looking good at all at this stage. They've taken samples to be tested and analysed and the results should be available within a week.

It baffles us as to how quickly this disease has progressed though. :-(  They think that it may be a genetic condition.

He is staying at the emergency vet hospital again tonight and we've been told to take it an hour at a time and see how he does.  We're praying so hard for him right now.  He is a fighter though and both DH and myself are staying positive nevertheless.

I'm praying real hard for him, too!  I won't forget...... Let us know......  Karla
We just adopted a new chiuahiua mix. she is 2. she was fine for the first week and then she started to not eat. she was also very skinny and had dandruff when we got her. she seems very weak! then her nose started running and she was coughing. we took her to a vet and he said she had pnamonia. he didn't say anything about why she wasn't eating. she still isn't eating and she won't play with the other dogs. when we got her she was dehidrated but I think we took care of that. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to help her!!!!!!
Hi Munkmunkrules,

I just saw your message - sorry for not replying sooner.
I would personally take her to another vet ASAP.  Ask to see if they can do a blood test for liver/pancreas function.  I really don't want to alarm you though!  But I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.
She is probably just a bit depressed if you have only just adopted her due to change of scenery and so on.  
Oh, and another advice, get a pet insurance too in case you haven't.  This is so much worth it.  
Please don't be alarmed by my post though - I am sure that your chihuahua is ok, but better be safe than sorry.
Unfortunately, my Coco passed away due to this disease.  We tried everything - even blood transfusion.  He recovered slightly after the blood transfusion, but collapsed pretty quickly after that.  He never returned home...
We got the test results from the biopsy a week after he was gone and it turns out he had Cholangiohepatitis which is very rare in dogs and it was in the terminal phase.  The vet told us that this disease progresses rapidly and very hard to detect as not all the symptoms are easy to detect in a dog who is only 6 years old.
We miss him so very much and think about him all the time.  We still can't believe that the disease progressed so much in a month... But we like to think that at least he is in a better place now, free from pain and disease.

Thank you for your kind words during my time of need Karla.  Much appreciated...

http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personalcandles.php?ID=74601
About 1 month ago my dog Zada started to have seizures and got very disoriented so we took her to the vet immediately and they put her on Phenobarb. Ever since she's been on the medicine she stopped eating and is very lethargic. She just smells the food and doesn't eat. So we have to hand feed her and she does not like that. We've tried cooking her chicken, eggs, broth, baby food. We don't know what else we can do for her.  Can anyone give us any suggestions as to what to try with her she is getting very skinny and we feel so bad for her.
I think you would get more responses and, therefore, better suggestions if you were to start a whole new topic with your question.  The thread that you posted on was started almost two years ago, so more people are going to ignore it than will read it.   Just click the green bar at the top of the column on the left that says "Post a Question" and a box will open up where you can type in your information.  I'm sure you will get some very good replies once you do this.  

In the meantime, in case you decide not to repost your question, I will add here that phenobarbital is a hard drug for them to get used to.  It makes them sleepy and they have to learn how to fight the sleepiness and get on with life.  You can help with this by getting Zada involved in some interactive play with you.  A couple of short walks each day will help to wake her up as well.  Talk with your vet about her anorexia (lack of appetite) and ask if he thinks that a vitamin B12 shot would help.  Vitamin B12 is an appetite stimulant and could be helpful right now.  Maybe make her some homemade liver treats to encourage her to eat.  Find something that she really, REALLY likes and mix it in with her own food at each meal.  See if you can't get her interested in something like peanut butter or cottage cheese or something that you can mix her food around in so that a little bit will get on each piece of her food.  You don't have to use a whole lot, if you mix it well, you'd be surprised how far two tablespoons of something will go.  Also, maybe start her on NutriCal, which is a high calorie food supplement for dogs that are not eating regularly for whatever reason.  This way at least you will help keep her weight up until she adjusts to the meds, because you don't want her to get skinny because of her lack of appetite.   Try to keep her stimulated both mentally and physically until she learns how to fight off the effects of the phenobarbital, and I think you'll see a big difference once she gets used to it.  Maybe even talk to the vet about lowering her dosage a bit, if she doesn't have a seizure with a lower dose, then I think that might be the way to go for a while.  There's no need to give her a big dose if she can be maintained on a smaller one, at least for now.

Ghilly
I took my german shepherd to the vet after he didnt eat for a week. The vet said i should have brought him in the third day. He had rectal dermatitis caused by a yeast (fungal) organism. [It hurt him to poop because of cracks on his rectum, so no pooping, no eating.] The vet said it was common for dogs that dont raise their tails. They gave me a shampoo and a spray ointment to apply to his rectum every day and then a checkup after a week. I saw results immedietly (eating, drinking, and playing) I am soo releaved that it was something easily treated.
If your dog refuses to eat bring it to the vet ASAP.Just lost my baby girl today.Hemangiosarcoma.This is a very aggressive form of cancer.Was diagnosed on Wed.Layed to rest Sat.Please don't wait.Your dogs life depends on it.
Hi, we are on the road and i cant surf the net alot, so please email me your responses to: mariannakeough at hotmail.com

Our 11 yr old lab/terrior mix has stopped eating. she hasnt eaten any of her favorites, she just turns her head and keeps her mouth shut. She drinks alot of water, has what little diarrhea she can get out which is a dark brown. She was always so happy, excited, eat anything you give her, now she cant get comfortable or has no energy barely. she is also in heat, she has never had a litter, she has a soft lump on her side and a hard, bunch of grapes thing under one of her nipples (we assume that is breast cancer). we have zero ability or cash to go to a vet. please, any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
i have a 9 yr old male yellow lab.  he has been showing these symptoms for about 2 weeks.  on the third day of not eating, being lethargic, not wanting to go outside i took him to the emergency room.  they ran tests which returned nothing out of the ordinary.  the next day we saw an internal medicine doctor.  he ran a complete blood test and also performed an ultrasound.  both came back w/ "good news" - no tumors and blood work looked good.  he was prescribed metrpadnizole to target the diarrhea and help with appetite.  he slightly improved and i thought might be starting to feel better.  i thought maybe he contracted giardia?  after a re-check, we concluded he would need a hip replacement.  he has horrible dysplasia and i thought maybe the change in personality was b/c of the hip pain?  the hip xray did not show any tumors on his hip.  i don't know what to do.  he's obviously in severe pain-which even tramadol and rimadyl aren't helping.  i'm back to square one.  he's not interested in anything.  these tests are so expensive.  is it possible the tests missed something?? i don't want to put him through surgery if he is not healthy.  
You posted on the tail end of a very old thread. It is possible you won't get as many replies this way, and you may want to re-post by starting a whole new thread? (At the top of the page you'll see a green box "post a question". Click on that to start a new thread if you wish.

Anyway, I am sorry you have as yet found no solution to your dog's pain. It is entirely feasible that his loss of appetite and lethargy is caused by pain. OK so no tumor was found on his hip, but severe arthritis can cause terrible pain, sufficient to make him feel unlike eating. ?

If the vet suggested a hip replacement, that might be the way forward. I have no idea what the cost of this is. But if that is what he needs, I would try my very best to move heaven and earth to see he gets it.

You could, of course, if you are still not sure, consult another vet and get a second opinion.
I was reading abt your comments abt  your pets not eating as my pet has the same condition lethargic not eating etc. I  came across this website (suite 101.com) that had all kinds of info on pet ailments and they mentioned in the segment ("why isn't my pet eating" )  that to give your pet  eg: 1 large spoonful of honey or maple syrup ( for dogs weighing abt 20lbs) every 4 to 6hrs depending how active they are. You can get to that exact article by putting into your browser ( http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_isnt_my_dog_eating ). Hope this helps. Just tried this with my dog and it seems to be working :). Will keep you posted........
My 9 year old female has lost a considerable amount of weight, from 60 pounds last fall down to 45.  She also has not been eating or drinking well and appears to be in a lot of pain.  My Kasha could not climb stairs, get in the car, or off a tile floor without her legs splaying..  In July I went away for a week and she wouldn't eat for the people I left her with.  We also ended up moving, so I thought some of it could be the changes.  One vet told me she had severe arthritis.
This past weekend, not only did she not eat anything, but drank very little and started throwing up a bile looking liquid.  I took her to the vet who ran a complete blood chemistry panel as on exam, her bladder was very sensitive, and she felt it could be kidney or bladder.  Everything was extremely normal.  That panel cost $90.00; however, not included in that panel is a test for lyme disease($10.00), which she suggested might be the problem.  The test for lyme was done and was positive.  All the way to the vet's I kept thinking I would have to put her down.  

What a relief to know she can be treated with $24.00 worth of antibiotic for a month.  I was also told she may have a small stomach ulcer and she was prescribed medication to help her stomach too.  I have the mentality that if you have an animal it's like having a child and they are just as helpless when they're sick.  After $232.00, and believe me, I'm not flush, I still think it's worth it,  I am posting this to possibly save someone else a weekend call to the vet.
1) I should have taken her sooner and 2) If I had had the lyme disease test done first, it would have saved some cash; bottom line, after 3 doses of meds, she is eating and drinking and her eyes are starting to look a little brighter.    SOOO RELIEVED IN NNY
I have a one year old yorkiee and she is not eating,losing waight and very restless this is unusuall because she is a fairly hyper dog. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do without taking her to a vet?
hello. my dog is turning a year on the 7th of nov which is tomorrow. she is a toy poodle and her name is destiny.  she hasnt been eating for 2days now. she was not herself, i may say, because she used to be a very active loud dog and now she's all sleeping and she seem so tired. i dont know what happened to her. brought her to the vet already and he said she's fine and that maybe its because of her food. so brought a new expensive dog food but nothing has changed. still not eating it. i believe something is wrong but im not sure what is it exactly. ive been trying my best to feed her but she wont eat anything so instead i gave her milk but she would refuse after 2 spoonfulls. i dont know what to do ;( please help me, she's my baby.
Your question went onto the back-end of quite an old thread, and may get 'buried' as a result. It might be a good idea if you post your question again, start a new thread with it. You might get more help and answers.
Anyway, I think your Destiny must have something troubling her. To suddenly go off her food like this just doesn't sound like faddiness, it sounds like she is not feeling well. It is up to your vet to try to find out why. He said she was "fine". On what basis? Did he check her, run blood tests on her? Take a look at her teeth? Find out if she has become dehydrated?
Firstly, try not to let her become dehydrated. If she won't eat, try giving her Pedialyte to drink (if you are in US) or try to get some fluids down her. I have heard that dogs will often eat ice chips if they are off drinking and eating. Or you could try some tasty chicken broth (no seasonings or salt, just boiled chicken water)

Secondly (in fact as soon as possible) take her to another vet. Your current vet doesn't seem like he has done the necessary.
I do hope she is feeling better soon, that you find out what is wrong, and she is OK.
thank you very much:) im really glad someone had replied to my post.

anyway, today is her birthday and im GLAD she doin fine already. i gave her boiled chicken liver and she liked it. i also gave her an antibiotic and a vit. c syrup, as to what her vet adviced us. she's still pretty weak but i think shes getting better. :)
my dog is 2 years old and she is not eating. we took her to the vet and  they said nothing is wrong with the dog.they said she is going to get better..but the dog is not getting better shes getting worst. she has not eaten in about a week..please if any body has any information please add a comment..thank you
Your poor little dog! If she has not eaten in a week, then there is something definitely wrong, and this cannot go on, she needs some help. Your vet doesn't sound as if he has a clue! I would take her to another vet, ASAP.
Is she drinking OK? At least if she does, she won't get dehydrated. But very soon she will get malnourished, so she does need some help.
Good luck in finding out what is wrong, and getting someone who DOES know what they are doing to help her.

You could post on the "Ask a Vet" forum here. There is a small charge for this, but you may get some good advice there.
But still my opinion is get her to a different vet as soon as you can. Do it either today (depending on what time it is now where you live) or tomorrow.
My 7-year old Rott/Akita mix was just taken to the vet for these symptoms:

She has not been eating the last 3-4 days, but she has been drinking ALOT of water.  She was weak from not eating and she started panting today.  They just called me back to tell me she needs "emergency surgery" for Pyometra.  Since she has never been spayed, there is a great chance of an older female dog, contracting this type of disease.  Needless to say, hubby is not at all happy with the $1,300 bill but I was not about to watch her suffer any longer (nor was I about to put her down).  I've had her since she was born and I'm still over her crying my eyes out.  Guess I will be working PLENTY of overtime this month.

Here's a link to the info on the disease:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
   I have a 1 yr. old westie who just came back from a friends house since i went out of state for 3 days, but when we got him back he didn't run to me with his tail wagging like usual and didn't look very happy either, which is completely out of his nature. The past month he also didn't have an appetite at all and wouldn't eat whatsoever. If i accidentily feed him just alittle human food then he would vomit too, is he depressed or has some stomach problem? i want to be able to save it before it becomes to serious...and without too much money either because we're kind of sort and my parents refuse to pay much for him...
Your little Yorkie could do with seeing the vet. It's no good trying to guess what might be wrong. It sounds like he is not so well physically. Only the vet can tell you. So take him along.
Hi guys...
I have 2 pomerians(1 female n 1 male) and a labrador.Now the problem is that my female one is now in heat period and my labrador is not at  all eating food except drinking water as we kept the female one far from him.Im worried abt my labrador im cooking meat daily for him coz he likes it but hez not at all eating food.Please suggest me something that i can do him to eat food.

Thank u
keep Smiling :)
If your Labrador is not eating, it would be best to take him to see the vet. There are a lot of different reasons why he might have lost his appetite, but I don't think it is simply because your Pomeranian female is on heat. I think it is because he isn't feeling well. Good luck. I hope there isn't too much wrong with him, maybe just a tummy upset. But take him to the vet.
For some time my 7 yr. old male boxer gets sick for about a week each month.  Very lethargic, runs fever and won't eat anything.  I've had tests done at vet's office but nothing has showed abnormal.  Could it be the flea and tick meds since that is given monthly.  It doesn't coincide with it sometimes before the meds, sometimes after.  I could use help on trying to figure this out.
OOPS!  Not male boxer.  I meant to put female boxer.  
it has been 3 days today he stopped eating, he has been very tired. he has also been vomiting more n more each day but with no food or water hes vomiting  yellow stuff along with some white stuff. today i noticed he also has diarrhea. everyone keeps saying its worms, could it b? or maybe something else, hes going to the doctors tomorrow but some ideas would be nice
we have a chihuahua 2 yrs old. we took him to the vet cause he was loosing weight and throwing up, diahrrea not eating or drinking. the vet gave him some tablets and injected some sort of IV  with liquid under his skin for hydration. plus a couple of shots. he told us that he should be ok and to call him. the dog started kind of recuperating within a few hours, but now he is going down again. same symptoms and breathing a little fast and short. we have no more money, i am unemployed and i would like to know who can help me take our dog back to the vet and do bloodwork to see what can be done. i spent my last $200.00 a couple of days ago and many people and or agencies act as if its a small issue. they want money i dont have it and im afraid my doggy will die. i am in seminole county florida. please help.  all we recieve is unemployment and thats not much.
I'm sorry your little dog is sick and sorry about your financial hardship. I know what it's like to have little money, for sure.
I live quite a distance away, in England, so don't know all the options which could be available to you in your area.
But I do know of a website you could check out, which provides other links to possible financial assistance for pet owners in your position. There might not be anything helpful there....I don't know for certain. But you could take a look?

http://www.rescuinganimalsinneed.org/financial_help.htm
hi my dog is a huski retreiver mix he has alot of energy but he isnt eating like he should be . he will jump around nibble at nhis food then jump around more he is my buddy his name is zen and his b day is october 10th im not sure but i think his tooth is chipped i tried giving him a saosage link but he looked ip at me and shook his head and held his mouth tightly shut.any suggestions!!!
what kind of antibiotic you gave him? i have my yellow lab and he is losing his appetite lately..i am much worried for my yellow lab..please help..
First week of December 2009, Zouzou 17, a wheaton terrier, just ballooned. It was fluid in her abdomen. According to vet, it was not CHF but perhaps cancer. We have been taking her to be drained, every 10 or 13 days. They drained up to 3 liters of dark liquid. After 4 1/2 months of draining, since last she refuses eating, not even chicken she used to be crazy about. I am heart broken. I feel like collapsing just thinking about her. I will never make that "decision" NEVER. There is nothing we can do anymore. I need your kind words.
My 11 year old boxer/golden mix, Rocky, was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. He had not been eating and he was straining to pee and poop so I immediately took him to the vet where they quickly diagnosed him. Can anybody suggest how I can get him to eat? I've tried all kinds and he just sniffs it and walks away. I know if he doesn't start eating soon I will have to put him down. Please help!!

Adriane
I went through this two months ago, and it is very difficult to find something to get your dog to eat, once they decide not to.  Some ideas would be top of the line canned dog food, boiled chicken, chicken broth or even chicken soup and rice, and  baby food without onions.  I'm sure you'll get some better ideas once the other dog lovers on this site respond.  Tatie05, its been a couple of days since you posted, how is your dog doing?
I have tw0 4 m0nth 0ld puppies (b0xers) they are sh0win the same sympt0ms. n0 energy n0t eatin n0r drinkin and like y0u jus d0nt have the m0ney rite n0w. PLEASE P0ST A C0MMENT 0N HELPIN US 0UT. THANK Y0U

my dog sue has stopped eating for the past 2 days. if she drinks she throws up if she eats she throws up she tries to eat grass a lot so im worried she got pesticieds or something in her! please help me that dog is my life! and i love her to  death i cant bring her to the vet because its a sunday any ideas?
My 9 year old golden is doing the same as mmurphy. And it also started around May 23/24th. That is also when our Canadian weather go hot. My friends cats also started this around the same time. My dog first threw up his food on Tuesday. Since then he's really not eaten much. He turns away completely from his food but was eating some treats. Now today (Sunday the 30th) he really doesn't want that either.  He's eating grass and throws up clear mucus. I did call the vet the other day and they said to make sure he was out of the heat and drinking. I am taking him in tomorrow.
You all amke very good points. I might suggest when we are considering getting an animal, we have to realize that the circle of life does exist. We are usually not lucky enough to have a dog just go to sleep by themselves, and not have to see them suffering. My dog of 13+ years (Buddy) was a food lover. The weather got very hot and he became finicky about his food. We tried chicken, rice, scrambled eggs. He eventually would throw it up- as soon as I noticed that, he went right to the vet. Pancreatitis! Liver enzymes elevated, kidney values sky high. We treated him for 4 days, antibiotics, fluid, and love. He did improve slightly. Vet recommended, not to jump to any conclusion- we waited repeated tests Kidney values did not change, liver enzymes did slightly. Ultimately, we put him to sleep, instead of suffering. It was the worst day of my life! He was a family member. I don't know if what we did was right, should we have played GOD? We made a memorial for him, and I wonder what if everyday? Final thought no conclusive "C" test, nodules on liver, pancreatitis, liver enzymes elevated, kidney values high, and older. I know- I just need to believe all of this- because I think he would have been just fine sitting with us, in pain, then to be in the hospital with no family there.
It is so hard to make the right decision when it comes to your pet.  You feel guilty if you keep him alive and keep trying different options, but you also feel guilty and, like you said, you feel like you played God, if you put him to sleep.  Theres always the feeling "What if I waited. maybe he would have improved"  When their an older animal, I doubt they do very often.  I feel that it is best to do all tests possible and read up on the illness your dog has, this way at the end you will know you did every thing possible.  It gives you some peace of mind.
my border collie meg has athritis in her back legs, we are coping with it, by giving her rimifin.on monday after her mornig walk she didn't want to come out of the car when we got back which is not unusual as she  likes the peace and quiet, and after all it is her car! however when she eventually came out she could barely walk, and at night she could barely climb the stairs,.any way she got more and more doddery.i took her to the vets yesterday, i had to literally drag her on her side into the vets,the vet examined her and said she was bleeding internally probably from her liver, her diagnoses was based on the whiteness of her gums and her eyes.her body language suggested to me that she wanted to put her down, but wouln't say the words,so we sat in silence until i asked if she couln't give her something,so reluctently she gave her steroid tabs.Meg is home with me now. i have to take her back in four days.she did walk upstairs last night the tablets have helped.my worry is how does she know she is bleeding without doing any tests?and should i ask for a second opinion?we have premier vets here who you can call out should i do that i am a pensioner and have some savings ,i just want the best for my meg i live on my own and she is my buddy
I can't tell you what to do, but if it was me I would do further testing, ASAP  Your vet may be right, but you can't be certain without tests, and you will ALWAYS wonder if your dog would have had a different diagnoses through testing.If you have any doubts about your vet, by all means go to a different one, your paying a lot of money and should have full confidence in him or her.  When our dog would have painful stiff days we gave her Rimadyl, when needed.   \It worked good for her.  I wish you luck.
i had a corgie terrier mix months back, he  got weak, depressed, throwing up, stopped eating, diarrehia and bleeding, ended up i waited too long and he had parvo and it got the best of him so i had to get him put down.

i finally got another puppy, sheaphard mix, was lively, active, hyper, played fetch, got him 2 weeks ago, now yesterday evening, he couldnt walk, wouldnt eat or drink, last night he started throwing up a bit and today had massive dirrarhia (liquid and smelly), i was told to keep him hydrated so im giving him water orally through a turkey baster, hes drinking that, he wont eat, he seems a bit better today, can walk on his own, just he seems depressed and lifeless still, just wants to sleep, refuses to eat anything, i even makde hamburger for him lastnight and wont eat it. dont wait til its too late at least use a syringe of some sort to get water down. unfortunately i dont have vet money at this time, but im keeping his areas clean, and giving him water every 2 hours or less. and giving him love and cuddles.
WAIT A MINUTE......Your going to let, now TWO innocent puppies die from a painful disease that's preventable, when treatment needs to be sought?

Did you NOT learn from the first incident that emergencies arise and you must be prepared and able to get your dog the medical help it requires & deserves? That's part of Pet ownership......

Do you have anyone that can loan you money to get this guy a doctor? Call around and ask Vet Clinics if they will do a payment plan....Some will.....

IF NOT:   Get off your computer & take it to the nearest Pawn Shop & sell it.......Your responsibility is this dog's medical needs......In the future; please reconsider getting a Pet that you cannot afford............Karla

I was thinking the same thing about the computer, thank you for putting it into words.
We just lost our dog, a pit bull, yesterday and we are grief stricken. The last 2 weeks, he was weak, his gums were pale, he could barely walk in his hind legs and he was not eating well. We went to the vet and he was operated but the vet could not do anything because it was not just one tumor but several of them in different places. We didn't want him to suffer any longer so we had to put him down.

Our hearts are bursting from sadness and we don't know how to move on. I'm still clutching his towel right now, smelling his scent and weeping from sadness. My poor husband has to go to work and put on a brave face to the world. I'm afraid to rest because he would not be beside me when I wake up and that would just hurt too much. My husband and I lost a part of ourselves and it will never be filled.
I am so sorry you lost your dog.  Pitt Bulls are some of the sweetest dogs there are, they look like they're always smiling.  You tried to save him with surgery, which was a great thing to do, even if it didn't help.  You tried everything possible, please find some comfort in that.  Take Care, it will get better, you'll never forget, but it will be easier.
my min pin looked like a fat rolley polley. He loves his food and is always full of enery. All of a sudden he lost almost half his weight in about a week to a week 1/2. wouldnt eat, started giving him ham,All he wanted to do is drink drink drink his water. He is eating again, still drinks and drinks, still skinney, just not himself. Sometimes looses his balance. Any Ideas of what it could be? Please email me any suggestions. He is like my son
I think you need to take him to the vet. I can't tell you what is the cause of this, but he needs some medical attention, and some tests run.
I do hope it isn't anything too serious... Please post back if you get the chance and tell us what happens.
My Doberman ***** is 6 yrs old. The past 4 days I have been coming home to diarrhoea and sometimes vomiting. She has not really eaten much tho I did give her some chicken last night but ate it very gingerly. She is a bit Lethargic tho she does go out for a walk at 6 am and again 5pm each time about 3 miles. But today she didn't really enjoy her walk and after a while she frothed  a bit at the mouth . I have noticed also today she has a blotchy tummy or more like raised small rashes. I have booked her into the vets for tomorrow so I'm hoping and paying she is ok. But her in Swindon Parvo is rife and 7 dogs have recently died. I asked the vet today if they can still get Parvo even tho they are inoculated and she said yes. Oh my goodness I hope not. Has anyone else had these symptoms with there dog ? I cant lose another Dobbie. Ive lost 2 Dobermans to Cardiomyopathy . Fingers and everything will be crossed.  
I have a country breed pet which is no 14 years old. My dad would prefer him sooo much than me just becuase of his behaviour and Tommy gets excited when he sees my dad.. but since last week, his in take has reduced(it has only 10% of his food) though we put his favourite foods. and he is not able to stand even for 5 minutes.. he just slips down.. we have never seen him behave like this. his back legs are shaking like anything.. Not sure wht is the problem.. We thought he wil get alright soon. But it is almost 5 days he is still the same.. Have fixed an appointemnet wtihh the Veteriany doctor.. i wish it recovers soon. i dont want to hear anything else from the doctor :( Pl. pray for my Tommy..
i jus met one of my friend having a  3 month old german sheperad pup

so i asked him to come home n let my lab pup n his pup play

both are 3 months old

but to my shock the german pup was too weak skinny n bony .he is half of my lab pup in terms of weight and size n bravery n socializing n beastness  he jus got scared when my lab pup run towards him lol n started yelping xD

many pup have eating problems its all destiny
I hope your dog can be helped, let us know how he made out at the vet.  Good Luck.
I think you had better tell your friend that if he doesn't start looking after his dog properly he will lose the poor little soul.

I doubt that the pup wont eat,or if so why hasnt he taken him to the Vet I would keep an eye on your puppy as his pup is open to all types of diseases.

These poor babies are helpless against people like him its so cruel.  
hi i just went and got an 8week old or so puppy, yesterday, he was kind of stand offishy when we first got him. an they say hes been like that. i asked them if had been sick or anything an they said no. so i bring him home an he just kinda has been layin around . he gets up for a second an gets a drink then goes right back. then through the night he got sick a couple times and had diarreha and still wont eat. an he seems weak. im very very worried from reading everyone elses post. just someone please tell me something:(
I would think that an eight week old puppy should be running around and playing alot, since he's not I would take him to the vet ASAP, he sounds sick to me. especially since he won't eat.  What type of food are you feeding him?  If he is throwing up and has diarrhea he will become dehydrated very fast, and at his young age could die, please have him checked by a vet.  Also, I would call the previous owners, and let them know he is getting worse, they must have known he was sick when they gave him away.
We have an 11 yr old mix???? "Santa" saved him from the pound and brought him to my son when he was 5. Last week he stopped eating and became very week and inactive. On Tues. he would not move off his blanket and was barely able to lift his head. We had changed food recently and thought that might be the problem. Took him to the Vet yesterday they did blood work and ran tests. This morning all they could tell me was that his white blood count was very low and his kidneys were shutting down. It was either a strong infections of some sort or cancer. I hate waiting, I hate that he might have been suffering, I hate it for my now 16 yr old son who has been the one caring for him all these years. Terrible feelings, our family has done nothing but cry for the last 24 hours. We should know something this afternoon.
Hello & welcome......I'm sorry to hear about Santa.....Do you have any other information? Was his RBC (Red Blood Count) low, also? What about his Liver enzymes? Were they high along with the kidneys? Is he running a fever, what was his temp? Do you have a copy of the blood results that you can look at?

Hang on to hope, This doesn't have to be a  "Death Sentence", yet.  Yes, I know all about the crying for days! :(

Please, post anything else you can think of.....And if you can, post this question as a NEW question.....This is attached to a very old and long thread....More people will see it if you can repost as new......

Come back and let us know what you find out.....I'll be thinking about you and your guy!   Good luck........Karla
daisy does not do anything
hi my little 5 month old puppy used to be so happy and hogged food alot now he is hiding sleeping all the time stoped eating and drinking and we moved him to the garage he just sits in a chair and i have to try to get him to eat a little but it is hard we thought it might be parvo we called the vet but they said it probaly is not parvo i am worried help!!!
I have a 9yr old French Mastiff Full breed...Well she is not eating and has not ate in 4 days. She is hiding in the basement she does not want to eat. Oh lord...Im just very sad. She does not want to lay in her bed, I went to put her in my lap she moves away. Well I guess i will put on a smile just for her and call my Vet in the morning ASAP. Im lost and all Im going to do is pray for her and hopefully what ever she has is treatable and If not I will have to put her to sleep to be with her mom who passed away from a fire, Besides its better on the other side! but deep inside I want her here! Well lets see what the vet says And to all you animal parents  DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VET UNTIL YOU GET AN ANSWER OR ELSE IT WILL BE 2 LATE! REMEBER YOU ARE FLIPPING THE BILL NOT THEM! GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND THANK YOU FOR SPREADING THE LOVE ON THESE PRECIOUS ANGELS!

I will be back with an update!
my 2 yr old dog stopped eating for a week now..his urine is dark yellow..and urinates often..he vomits days before but stop vomitting now..his stool is fine..he loose too much weight already..i brought him to the vet 2 days ago..and the vet told me that theres nothing wrong with my dog..he checked the teeth..it's all okay...he only prescribed vitamins and antibiotic for UTI... the only thing that he's taking and keeping  him alive now is water...we're very much worried...pls..help..
Go take him to the vet ASAP! I had to do the same thing! I had to put down my 9yr old Mastiff!
She was not eating after 4 days she dranked water then stopped for 2 days. She urinated in places she does'nt really go, She lost 20 lbs in 6 days, her stool had a little blood in it. She could'nt hold her head up she was like out of it! When  I called her name and got excited she ignored me! I gave her human and Cat food and she still did not eat! When it was all said and done my poor Furia had kidney Failure! So now my baby is in heaven enjoying what we all wish to have....Peacefullness! Good Luck! Do not leave the Vet unless you get an answer!
P.S Make sure you request the vet to draw blood!
I have notice alot of people are having the same probelm around the age of ten my dog is having the same probelm with not eating and have trouble walking. I am also feeling extremely bad because my dog is really sick. I think it has to do with like a middle age thing for dogs just like we all do. The only thing i think we can do is to wait and see if they get better and if not I think that we will see the in heaven.
My puppy tike is laying down right now. He refuses to eat anything but shows some intrest in water but seems to not have the strenght to drink. I don't know what to do. I'm only 16 and we have no money to take him to the vet. We've given him some peanut butter and it shows no improvement. What do I do?
Your puppy sounds really sick how long has it been since hes eaten?  Puppies can't go very long without food or water, please try to find a way to get him to the vet.  Maybe the vet will let you make small payments, call and see.  Also, don't give him anymore peanut butter, its not good for him.
I have a 7 week old puppy that has just been wanting to sleep and not eat or drink. I don't think its parvo bc he drinking water and eating every now and again......its just not normal. And he gets shaky but there's no sickness and his poop is really not runny. Anybody know what might be worng with the lil guy.......he's a fighter and i would like to help him stay alive but can't afford a vet right now
hi Everyone

I have a 14 year old jack russell cross with Yorkshire terrier. He has been fine up untill the last month. He just stopped eating, when he would eat something, he would puke it back up. He eats like little snacks, but never a full meal. We have cooked everything for him, tried giving him everything, and he just isnt interested! He has lost loads of weight and is very lifeless. He had a blood test at the vet, and they said his kidneys and liver are failing, his appointment to be put down was today.
But suprisingly over the weekend he ate his food everyday, didnt puke it back up and was full of energy, so we cancelled the appointment. But sadly today he has took a turn again, and has been sick and wont eat anything, he looks very sad. He is going to be put down tomorrow. The vet said it was for the best and he will only suffer if we dont do this. Weve had him for 14 wonderful years, but are very sad to see him go....

To anybody with the same kind of problems, take your dog to the vet for a blood test, not eating and drinking loads of water are symptoms of kidney failure. Kidney failure over a long period of time can be very uncomfortable and painful for a dog. Always take the Vets advice, its not nice to see a dog suffer

This sounds exactly like my dog. He had blood tests and we were told his kidneys and liver were failing. Its very sad, but with elderly dogs its a very common thing
My 3 month old dog that a cocker spaniel isn' t eating and I find her in the road.  And she couldn't walk plus her hip hurts.. And when people touch her back she starts to cry..  And she don't have that much energy anymore since I found her in the road..... Can u please help me... We just took her to the vet and they said that she dont have anything.. And that cost $119...  So my mom dont want to take her again.. She's still acting funny and I'm really worried... Please Help Me. And My Doggy.
My puppy is not acting like her normal self all she wants to do when she is inside the house is lay next to one of us or in her bed she eats and drinks but after a while she throws it all back up its not foamy or whatever its the actual food and water she ate but when she is outside she plays with the other dogs for about 20 minutes then she finds herself a place to lay down and doesn't want to do anything but sleep again and this has been going on for about a week now. Any ideas that will help my baby girl Holly will be greatly appreciated oh and she is approximately 12 weeks old we rescued her
i have an 8 month old pitbull, his name is rambo after we got him a couple of weeks later he didnt want to eat or drink unless we made him a couple of days later he gott to where he wouldnt walk i tried standing him up he would fall like his legs would give out on him. i took him to our family vet and he gave him some meds. he got better after about the forth day on his meds. he was running jumping playing fetch all sorts of good stuff. then he went back to the same ways again... took him back to vet he gave him more meds once again he got 110 percent better.. now just a couple days ago he started not eating again and he cant walk or stand.. what can this be??? is he depressed maybe or lonley??? i love him like no other and do NOT want to lose him.. he wont really eat or drink, his breath stinks horribaly, he sits weird face is really swollen in jaw areas, small fever, can anyone help???
Hi Michael...Please post your question as a NEW thread.....This one is old & long & can be overlooked......Chances of answers are better with a new one....Thanks

P.S. Also, post your question in the "Experts Forum"....Put it under Animal Health - General.....A Vet will answer you in a couple of days.....Maybe she will have some ideas...Scroll down to towards the bottom of this page....It will be listed on the right side.....
my dog is a poodle and she is starting to get sick.she has 4 puppys.right now my dog first started to do a lot of diarriah and then she stopped eatting then now she is getting very weak she can hardly walk for how week she is.does anybody know what is wrong with her and whu i should do.
I just got a month old blue pit stafford mix puppy. We took him to a good home and treated him properly to try to get his health on the right track. we found out too late he had porvo. today, 4/6/2011 approximately 8 pm my puppy died in my arms. It was a sudden death and one not peaceful at all. I lost my first puppy to a virus i never heard of till i moved down here. If at any time no matter how minor it looks, your puppy has worms or doesn't eat. Even just a little bit. Take him to a vet!! No puppy should ever suffer what i witnessed in my arms today. I loved my solja. a beautiful boy. May he rest in peace and be in no more pain. heed my words, dont turn a blinds eye to ANY symptom no matter how small. He showed signs three days ago. we took him to the vet on the second day. he died the day after. Porvo took my puppy in only 3 short days. Keep your safe, treat immediately. SOLJA born: febuary 23, 20011 died: april 6, 2011
I love you boy and miss you. Rest in peace

I just got a 2 yr old boxer. I have had him for a week and he just stopped eating and drinking yesterday. I have been watering down milk and he seems to drink a little of it. I have also been giving him gatoraide through an eye dropper. Right now I don't have the money to get him to a vet. Is there anything else I can do?
I am very sorry, about your 11yr old love. Do not wait a second, you are not going to find out what it is, blood test ect have to be taken, she has to stay a few days at a vet hospital. It s urgent, please see a vet immediately. Many reason, pancreatitis, kidney, liver failure. Take a day off if you work, take you dog. Do not play games, you are not a vet.
I have  a German Shepard. She is just 4+ but now-a-day she is very sick. In fact, from a month she is not eating anything ,not even the thing she like. Now, she is extremely weak. I have consulted to a vet, he just said that it is not any particular disease its just weakness. She already had 8-9 drips; but there is no activeness in her. i am really worried please HELP!!
my pit bull cj is VERY ill now I have already gone threw a grieving stage ... last sunday started wobbling , rushed to e.r. ... did blood work white blood count is supp. to be 16 cjs blood count was over 300 . x-rays showed nothing wrong ... I coundnt afford more ... so they gave me some antibiotics ... she throws those up ... all week she has been drinking water ... small amounts at a time .. lost all of her muscle and fat... now she is actualy doing better ( i think ) tonight she ate 1/4 of a piece of hambuger .... I have tried baby food , yogurt, gatoraide... even froze them w/ plain water on top so she couldnt just lick the food a little at a time .... she still hasnt thrown the burger up.... her breathing the other day was up to 100 breaths a min. .... now its in the 30's ..... can anyone tell me if they have an idea whats happening to her .... she was fine last week , she was a happy dog .
my dog is not eating nothing his not drinking water or eating any nothing .
i give him some deworm meds but nothing whats wrong with him? plez help.
What happened to your dog?  Mine is going through the same thing.  We brought her to the vet and she had a kidney infection we treated.  She never started eating again however.
I have a 1yr and1/2 old male Pitt hasnt eaten in 5days. Took to the vet n still won't eat he drinks but won't eat. Do I take him to another vet. He is one of 7 Pitts. They r my cikdren. I don't know what more to do
I have an Artic Wolf 85% and 15% Malamute. the last month shae has been eating very little, I have tried numerous types of food for her and seem she only will eat pokchops and steaks and lately she does not even like that much. She is a beautiful and very loyal companion and gets along great with the cats and other dogs, she is 14 months old. About 6 months ago my girlfriend moved in and my dog is not allowed in the bedroom at night anymore because my girlfriend feels she mabe allergic to her, could this be the reason she seems depressed and not eating well
!5 year old dog is not eating right or drinking any water for 2 days after a rabies shot. old dogs are not supposed to have them apparently from what I have read online but they never told me this at the rabies clinic. never asked her age until after the shot. :(
i have a 16yr old poodle named jojo...he's been a great dog and friend all these yrs, but is now having some medical problems..stopped eating his food..its been 5days now...he still is not having a normal bowel movement, and throws up a little periodically...have taken him to vet twice in one month..hes lost 2lbs as well..when he poops its barely anything and like jelly...he's very depressed(and so am i now)...yesterday the vet gave him a liquid IV so he wouldn't dehydrate.did several tests, xrays, didn't find anything...gave me antibiotics and said to maybe feed him a lil chicken broth mixed w/water for a while..also a dear friend of mine(also an extreme animal lover) suggested a lil egg yoke mixd with warm milk...at this point i am willing to try whatever may help him....i know some people may feel and ive heard comments such as.."well he's 16, its time for him to go"..comments like that are so hurtful and i wish people wouldn't say stuff like that...i am single, with no children, and he has been my baby for 16yrs...i want to make sure he is comfortable, but i dont want him to suffer..in fact, i WON'T let him suffer..he's been too good to me over the yrs...so i think it would be selfish of me to keep him alive, suffering..just for my own benefit,,its just not right..so for all you animals lovers out there, thank you for caring and sharing...and of course we will again, be at the vets tomoro or will see another vet if there's no improvements!  you can count on it!
hello
I have adopted a 9 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, and she is great. Since June 1st, 2011 she has not been her self, she was eating fine until about two days ago but she eat yesterday but today she is not eating. She is drinking water as normal and she having a hard time getting up. She does have hip issues. I read today, that she my have just an upset stomach and not give her any food for 18-24 and her systems should rest it self. Also, on June 1st, I gave her, her first treatment of Fla and Tick control, and all this started after that. Can someone tell me WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FOR HER and if I have to go to the Vet's and how to pay for it. And if you know a really good vet located in Newmarket, Ontario and if they would let me pay per month? ANY advise at this time will help.
I have a 10 year old female retriever and she's going through the same exact symptoms. You need to take her to the vet. She ended up having cancer
Just found the site, due to my big goofy lovable almost 7 golden retriever. He's not eating and I think not drinking as much water. I thought it might be are water since we moved almost a year ago now it's well instead of city. My pug had gotten some bacteria infection after a few months of moving in. I am worried with two dogs, two kids (5 & 2) and plus the hundred other things.........damn why does it have to get so stressful and complicated some times? I don't have any money but I am calling the vet tomorrow! I knew he needed to go to the vet so at least my mother instincts are on but I had to validate taking him due to no funds....thanks for letting me vent and insight on a possible diagnosis.  
hi I was wondering what happened to my dog. He is 7 months old.

My dog Has been acting weird today. He is extremely lethargic and he couldn't get back up on the back porch though he was standing, then I took him out front where he slid off the lap and laid down and was breathing hard, we had found a tick in his ear and removed it, I got him a dish of water and tried to feed him but he would not eat and when he drank most if not all of the water he tried to drink dripped out of his mouth, we also tried to give him a baby asprin, after a about 1-3 hours he had a seizure. this all took place from around 10:30 to 1:30 ish.
My 10 weeks old puppy won't eat or drink he throws it up everytime I don't know what to do he was eating at first now he don't he's weak really just sleep should I take him to the vet  
We operate a couple dog rescues and now have a dog with fluid in stomach.  Vet suspected kidney failure at first but now the blood tests look ok.  Ultrasound ok.  Drained another liter of fluid today and having it analyzed.  I am sorry for anyones loss of a pet and noticed a couple comments about animals final sleep. You are right, Hearing is the last to go.  Please Never leave youre dog alone when the vet has to do this.  Yes it is unbearable for us but think of the poor animal being left alone.  I did not know this as a kid.  Anyway the Vet said it was time and told me to get in there and why. I can not handle the thought of one of my dogs having to go but have to for the sake of the dogs who Love and add so much to my life.  Besides the guilt I would feel now knowing how lonely and abandoned the poor thing would feel, I would never forgive myself.  Sorry for this but Please help your dogs passover, let them know its ok, you will see them later.  Also be very careful what your dog eats, read labels, stay away from added junk, sugars, etc. Humans have had a little more time to adjust (and have we really adjusted being diet now is one of the leading causes of serious illness?).  I again appologize but couldn't not add to the comment above recomending the owner be with their dog because of its hearing ability.  
Sorry about the duplicate. I can not find an edit or delete feature.  I'll look some more, but sorry in the meantime.
I read this post and my heart goes out to all the dog lovers out there.
Unfortunately I find myself in the same posiiton as you all who have written in.  My beloved Rottie of 11 years is not himself.  We came home from work Tuesday afternoon to find throw up, pee and poop in our kitchen.  He did not eat dinner that night and was letharthic and sad.  The next morning he peed all over the bathroom.  I wasn't sure at first what it was because it was a brownish color with a tinge of red and it was one of the worst smelling thing I have ever smelt. The next day he did not eat again but drinks water.  He was lethargic again but did perk up here and there and ate a piece of cheese.  The next morning he tried to wake us up and peed in my bedroom a little, and once again the smell was so bad I almost vomitted myself.  He has not pooped in days but tries.  And his stomach has not growled like it usually does when he doesn't eat.    We are bringing him to the vet today and we are preparing ourselves for the worst.  He is 11 and has some lumps on him.  He was a great do, but I don't want him to suffer.  Wish us luck.  
Took him to vet today.  Blood work, urine testing and an x-ray.  Results will be in tommorrow.  We will see what they reveal.  The vet didn't sugar coat it so we are prepared for the worst.  Till tommorrow.
my pet dog is not eating his food and his so weak,what should i do to make his life longer?what are those meds that can cure his illness?
pls help me what to do i hve a pet 5mnths old.. she can't eat food 3 days ago and not drinking water too. she's too weak and lifeless.. pls give me some advice..thanx
Our Presa Canario we spent countess dollars on to import here started showing the same symptoms yesterday, and I came across this forum and began reading. I tried giving him Gravy and he would not even eat that. (My dad suggested this after it helping his boxer recover) . At 10 am yesterday we rushed him into the vet. We told him what we thought and he said he'd call. He said he could feel a soft mass. But nothing came up on the Xray. After putting Barium in him and another xray they still couldn't see anything. Turns out that his bowel was twisted and the soft mass was a large air bubble (Bloat) Which does not fix itself. Once it's twisted the dog slowly starts to poison itself. He had surgery at 530 last night and came out Okay. However from the body poisoning itself we are just waiting to see if he completely recovers. Getting him to the vet asap helped because the vet says normally the bowel is blue from suffocating itself, it was not blue yet. I wanted to post this, because if you assume it's a blockage you may not get to the vet in time, if it is bloat, which is the second leading cause of death in dogs. He is our family member, and my 2 year old daughter, with being so young, already is showing signs of distress because he is not here. I really hope he pulls through. I would hate to hear any of you lose a family member from this condition.
HI! My 7-yr old dog hasn't eaten food for 12days now but she is drinking water .She's weak ; she doesn't bark, she refuses to eat anything. Just today, worms were coming out from her ***.. and with a foul odor  .. we gave her antibiotics already which helped her perhaps lengthen her life.please help me.thanks..
Please repost your question in a new thread.  It isn't very likely that anyone is going to read the almost four year old thread that you tacked your question to the end of, so you will not get as much help as you might if you start your own thread.  

In response to your post, however, you need to get her to a vet ASAP!  Twelve days is a ridiculous length of time to allow a dog to go without eating without seeking veterinary assistance.  Were the antibiotics you gave her prescribed for her?  Or were they simply antibiotics you had on hand?  If she is passing worms, she may be completely infested with internal parasites.  She isn't eating, so the worms are feeding on HER, and without food to build her back up, you could lose her if you don't take care of this problem TODAY.  Please don't waste any time.  You owe it to her to get her to a vet TODAY and get some kind of professional treatment for her.

Ghilly
My 6 month old chihuahua was absolutely fine when I left her at home for a few hours one day, I had her put up in my bedroom while I was gone...When I got home I went straight to my room to get my little baby girl & as soon as I picked her up she started crying & screaming out...It was by far the worst thing I ever witnessed in my life, she looked & sounded so pitiful...Then all the sudden she puked up this dark brown/black stuff...I have absolutely no idea what it was that cam up out of her...She only puked this stuff twice...Every other time she puked after this was just clear or the food she had eaten...My dog was absolutely fine except for having green bumps all over her body & then losing her hair from scratching...The vet told me over the phone that it was sarcoptic mange & that it wasn't deadly & we could get rid of it...Sarcoptic mange is pretty much scabies for dogs...They can get it from a dirty environment & at the time, we had nowhere to go & had to stay with my moms b/f & his house was really nasty...Ever since we got to move into our new, clean house she had not been itching at all but I leave her for a few hours, come back & she is doing this...It has been about a week & a half that she has been sick..Her symptoms include, puking, not every day but maybe every 2-3 days & it's only after she has drunk her water because she drinks too much at once...She is a little wabbly when she walks because she is weak, & she just wants to lay around all the time...She also has no appetite at all...Very seldom we can get a piece of sandwich turkey & she will eat almost a whole piece...But other than that we have to make baby cereal rice & squirt it in her cheeks to get her to eat...I have been giving her pedialyte the same way to keep her hydrated...She has lost weight though, she's a little skinny & boney...I haven't got any income right now & am in a really hard spot & can't afford to take her to the vet or she would have already been...I have given her a little dose of prenatal vitamins & when I give it to her, it seems to give her a tiny bit of an appetite...If there was any way my vet would let me come in & pay the 20 some dollar office fee & bill me the rest I would come up with the office fee & would make sure to make my payments...$20 is really hard for me to come up with right now...My husband is out of work, we have 2 boys, a 2yr old & a 1yr old & a baby girl that will be here any time now...I feel like my little baby girl Lily is a part of my family, she honestly feels like one of my children...I love her so much...I have already lost 2 dogs in 2 months...Button-long haired chihuahua & his puppy daughter Opie...He was 5 & she was 2...I think it was something in the genes...I have prayed to god not to take my Lily Belle to heaven with him that she wants to stay with us soo bad & we can't cope without her..I've prayed for him to heal her & she has gotten a tiny bit better but she is still really weak, no appetite & just so pitiful...I just really wish we had money like most people to help my little baby girl..Isn't there a vet some where in Pikeville Ky, that will see a pet for no charge & bill u the payments like a hospital...animals deserve to live just like people...someone help me please...I can't lose my Lily, she means sooo much to me...I'm just sooo depressed & frustrated on what to do...I have no one to help me & my husband, no one at all...Any advice please...

Britani-
I feel dreadful for you. I'm 15 and my 8 year old dog was put down yesterday because he had a tumor on his liver which was to big to remove and he wouldn't have survived the surgery. He was a wonderful dog in every way. I haven't been to school for two days because I can't stop crying and feel so depressed without him. I advice you to go and get him checked out at the vets. I don't what to worry you too much but my dog had the same symptoms.  
                                         Good Luck
my 6 year old puppy isnt eating at all i tried to force it down his throt but he just spits it out i cant take him to a vet my parents arnt here and they wouldnt take him to a vet in the first place
i feel so sorry for you Amezbzxx
my dog is sick I cant afford to take him to vet can someone help me if u can please call me at 3362685198 asap
we too ahd a 13 yr old border collie and she had a heart murmur  a lump on her leg then a stroke and her back leg amputated then she was stumbling and coudnt get up and was moaning vet put her on tramadol and that calmed her but we had to make that choice and feel same as you shes at peace but racked with guilt:( tjnice. we keep going round in our head what if this and that and we really miss her and been in tears we couldnt have another xray as she been thru mill with ops but now we know she is at peace we still have our lively terrier but still seems quiet here now even tho our collie was so laid back.we guess it was arthritus or the c .
oh my goodness, I came upon this page looking for answers about my handsome dog (and his diahherah) :-). I am sooo beyond sorry for everyones loss and pain. I unforch am now sort of understanding. Thank you for all of you posting and speaking with such comforting words. My lil man will be 19 in January AND HE WILL BE 19!! And if he doesnt make it thru the holidays I feel blessed I've had him since he was just a year old. 18 years aint so shabby huh? I trust he will help me to recognize the time...either way it SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bless you all and your friends and your future loves :*
check for lyme disease if you didn't already...
my dog got hit by a car, and had to have his leg amputated a week ago. now when he eats hard food it makes him cry. so i started him on some soft scrambled eggs. now he dont want to eat that. so i am giving him lots of water and chicken broth. when i touch his tummy he crys. what should i do? i have called the vet that did the surgery and she hasn't called back.
Just seen your post. Has the vet got back to you yet. It could just be the trauma of his operation or any meds that he may be on, such as antibiotics, that is putting him off his food. But it could also be something more, so definitely get the vet to him as soon as you can. Soft foods are always comforting after a major operation like that. Cooked white fish, green tripe (stinks a bit though) and minced chicken are all high in proteins and help recovery if mixed with a little cooked white rice. Please let me know how you get on. Thinking about you.
I would love to know why my 7 yr old cattle dog is limping inside the house but not when I walk her outside.  This just started a week ago. She isgoin to the vet next week if it continues. Also we just moved 6mths ago to chilly Indiana from Florida and she gets 2 long walks a day. Thank ylu.
My 10 year old chow slowly stopped eating and has now completely stopped eating. He has also been vomiting yellow bile nearly everyday. He continues to urinate regularly, and defecates thin, moist stool. He has lost a substantial amount of weight, and lost all his stomach fat. Although I discourage him from eating outdoor grass, tonight I let him have at it considering he won't eat anything else. He ate some grass before vomiting it all and then laid on the ground. I carried him home in my arms, while whispering in his ears, you'll be alright.
My 13 yo dachshund was prescribed ketoconazole 2 weeks ago for his fungal infections on his skin. The vet didnt check his liver before prescribing. Few days ago, realised Butcher was weak, loss appetite, diarrhae and vomitted. Immediately, brought him to the vet. Had blood test on him again and found out his liver is struggling which I strongly believe is due to the med. He was admiited. He was getting worse the last 2 days. Not eating nor drinking at all and worst of all he can't even get up on his 4 legs. He is still on his iv fluids. I was crying my heart out.

Today he was a little bit better. At least he could lift up his head and look around and even wags his tail when I called him. Had blood test on him again and his liver improved but his kidneys arent that good but not that serious. He's not vomitting and no diarrhae. He pooped beautiful today and no diarrhae.

But why isnt him eating at all? Why are his legs still extremely weak eventhough his liver improved? Please help me. I am so heartbroken.
Hi, my Italian Greyhound which is only 1yr old has been at the vet for 2 days now and has'nt had food for three day and very lethargic. Am very worried.They have done xray,put her or a drip,did blood test and no improvements. Could it be stomach flu.  Is it an injection they gave your puppie.Many thanks  
My 12 year old lahso apso was not eating for roughly a week. We took him to ur local vet which said i think these are his last days. We since have taken him to a highly recommended vet which has hooked him to iv fluids, and his kidney numbers have dropped some, enough to give hope, yest no enough to be relieved. The doctor mentioned possibly doing surgery to remove a mass on the Lil guys liver. Trying to weigh my options. Obviously I don't want to put him down, but am fearful of him not surviving a procedure like this. Any thoughts?
I need some help, I have a 9 year old beagle that has been limping very badly. So we decided to take her to the vet. We were surprised to find out that she is supposed to be a 31 pound frame and was weighed in at 18 pounds over. we thought that mixing food with her dry would get her to eat,
Now she stares into space and will not eat anything since the doctor gave her Tramadol to help ease with the pain in her walking. Since she has been taking this she would not eat nothing, no matter what it was we would give her, she would not eat. She drinks her water normally and don't drink it down like she use to. have 2 bowls of water gone in a hour. We have tried everything, boiled chicken, carrots, and evan bought her new dog food that was recomended by the vet. She would eat a little and then walk away. after looking up this pain medicine we came up that this drug will make her lose her appitite and also make her constipated. It has been 2 days that we decided to take her off of it. Should we have done that? With taking she could not hardly walk, not even to go outside. Since we taken her off for the last 2 days she has been outside more (with help from the family) and everything seems ok. After a while say 10 minutes of walking she would get tired an just sit down. I am trying to make her walk because I read that walking helps her to lose weight and that pets lose weight faster then humans and that I hope is happening. Any idea's to use to entice her food other then Chicken Broth? We tried to boil the chicken and use the juices to ad to the food, but still nothing. She will eat the milkbones we give her. Our vet said she is only to have 1 a day and no more. no more dog treats and no more mighty dog. I am worried about this in so many ways. My wife is very close to her, my son and daughters are very close as well as I am. After have 2 other pets of hers pass away I do ntot know if she could handle this..... The vet said that if we do not get her to lose the weight, with in 2 months we would have to put her down.. Still puzzled about the weight gain, because we walked her everyday, and watched what she was eating , except a treat every now and then.

ANYONE WITH ANY KIND OF INFORMATION THAT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR ME WILL BE APPRECIATED. I NEED TO MAKE THE NEXT STEPS AND MAKE HER WALK MORE, BUT WILL THIS MAKE IT WORSE.
PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ***@****.. Thank you and God Bless All.
Hello & welcome...Yes, we can help you......Please post your (Identical) question as a NEW question in this forum....Right now, it's attached to a very long thread & most will not see it.....

Start over with a new one & you will get more responses......Please, come back.......Karla
My dog had the exact same symptoms, my parents think it can`t be cured by a vet, they also think he has the flue, they just keep making up excuses, i have begged and begged them to take him to the vet. I scared he is going to die, please help me convince my parents i`m desperate!!
i`m
I nearly missed your question because it's at the end of a very long old thread. Sometimes questions can get a bit "lost" like that.
If you want to ask more about your dog, do start a new question. t will get everyone's attention.

Anyway, you are right to be worried about your dog. If he refuses food, and just lies about with no energy, then something is wrong. He is either in pain, or feeling very sick. Or both.
The ONLY person who can really really help him is the VET. He needs to see a vet very soon.
Hopefully, this will be something easy to diagnose, and to treat.
He could -for example, have pain from arthritis, or he could have some systemic problem, which only medication can help. The sooner he gets help, the sooner he will be on his feet again, hopefully.

The vet will probably run a blood test for him, to check how his organs (liver, kidneys etc) are functioning.

If your parents are concerned about the cost of vets' fees, then please do re-post your question as a new question, because there are people here who have good knowledge about all the financial help available. Because I live in the UK, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of things like that. We have different options here.
i have a 15 week old puppy that was a rescue from some relly bad ppl but she is no longer eating or really drinking and losing weight like crazy
My 12 yr old golden has suddenly stopped eating. It has been 3-4 days.  He drank water for the first time this morning, and ate a little chicken and rice, but only if I added some cheese.  I took him to the vet two days ago and she did and xray, ultra sound complete blood work.  $480 later she found nothing. her exam only determined that the colon was full and he had a lot of gas, and his stomach was tender.  My feeling is he has a possible blockage in his stomach or someting that is preventing the contents to pass through and out.  He is not vomiting, and is urinating, but extremely listless. However, he wants to walk outside with me, albet slowely, so it is not dire at thim moment.  Is their anything I can give him that would possibly help hin pass whatever may be in his stomach and help him pass the impacted matter in his colon, rather than have exploratory surgery?
My dog wont eat. But drinks after drinking she vomotes ! Acts as if she has no personlity. What can be wrong ?
Sounds like he is run down. When did you last walk him? If you regularly walk him does he keep up with you and is he winded?

http://mhlnk.com/D491A423
My Rotti had to have a toe removed. and some times he eat and sometimes he don`t he`s not drinking water sometimes. I was wondering is it that he needs vitimans? He`s 8.. Sometimes he`s walking and some times he can`t get up. Its been 2 weeks sence surgry. If vitimans , whats the best.
como ago para qeu mi perro coma ya yeva mucho tempo sin comer no come nada
. My puppy boi  is not eating just a little while  he through up water  he doesn't  play with is sister  like e use to!  His only less then six weeks old he is half chow and the other half lab
i have a 5 month old puppy, she has 2 days of not eating. i don't know what to do. and i don't have the money to take her to a vet. please can anyone give me some type of advice to help my dog. i'm very worried she wont make it, since she looks very weak and looks very skinny. please help me.
did it cost anything to get the medicine becouse my dog has the same problem
Hi there,

My mom's yellow lab was experiencing seizures as well. Turns out it was the food she was giving him. Once she changed that, he has been good for over a year.
my dog is sick to my other dog had this and we got her shot it is called parvo all you need to do is go to the feeding store and there is one in rosenburg adn there is shots and i got my first dog that and then she got all good and she ia as good as normal :)
My dog will not eat its been 100 digress and she will not eat
Hello, my father suddenly passed away from a heart attack at home 2 weeks ago and now his dog, longshot a 9 yo dachshund, has not eaten for 3 days. I tried a different dog food but she won't eat it. She will still eat her treats, which she was not doing right after he passed. She just seems depressed. Anyone had this kind of experience?
In 2007 you posted some hints about how to help pay for vet bills.
As I am unable to retrieve that info, would you please email it to ***@****? Thanks
My name is Brandie,
I have a 6 month old chihuahua, in the past week or so he has lost weight, he has completely lost all appetite. Ive tried everything from canned puppy food to chicken broth, nothing has worked. Today I started giving him canned puppy formula and he lost interest with that in minutes. He now is refusing to drink water and will not do anything but sleep. when it first started he was vomiting and now it has progressed into diarrhea, the consistency is like melted chocolate. His blood work came up alarming, his WBC (white blood cell count) as 51.1, normally it is 5.6 to 16.5. The vet said that it was not Parvovirus and most likely not kidney failure. Please help! email brandie.***@****
i am facing same problem take him to vet because this normally happen when dogs have fever as they dnt feel hungry....just check tht his nose is wet or not...if not then the possibility is of fever....
I have a 7 yr old shi shuz dog that went from eating very good to not at all. I had to feed her with a fork and then went to out of my hand now not at all. she is not sick plays and eats treats. Please help
Start a new post.
good day everyone I'm Maria and I'm worry about my dog his mix bread his name is LUCKY  , and his not eating tonight and yesterday he only eat so small amount of food and I went to the vet yesterday and he have a fever but I went just today and I was happy that his fever is gone but his not eating I can't force my dog cause his only about going 3 months and when I try to put a food in his mouth he just vomit the food I'm very worry and sad cause my two dogs just die the one dog die one month ago and the other one just died 3 days ago so now I'm worry about him cause I love my dog, tomrow I will get the blood test that vet have. I pray that his alright and all the test would be negative for any sickness I don't where to get my strength two days I can't sleep well I'm so worry about LUCKy I have many thoughts that maybe his just sad that the other dogs died or his just sick . I will pray for you LUcky pls. try to fight and be strong again ....
My 3 month old husky wolf is always sleeping not active at all she is not eating but is drinking water she is skinny.she has blood in her stool and she vomits up clear fluid when she is laying down she moans im scared she will die.the thing is that I got her on feb.22 from a pet store and I dont know what they were feeding her and money is a very big problem for me right now I was woundering if you could help me and if you could tell me what I should do
My Great Pyrenees pups about 4-6 months old got into some old ham about 3 days ago that was in the garbage out side(that smelled horrible). Yesterday the oldest(Charlie), started acting very weird. He wouldn't play or eat. All he wants to do is sleep. Well last night the younger one(bear) threw up and then started acting the same way. Well today bear started acting better, he ate a treat but wouldn't touch his dog food and was drinking good. And then Charlie seemed as if he was doing a little bit better as far as energy, but still won't eat and will only sleep. The only thing I've got him to eat was a wiener but he acts like he's very weak like his mouth is hurting or something. Is the ham what made them sick or does it sound like something different? Also last week Charlie's mouth was bleeding and I looked and his tooth either fell out or broke off. Could this be a reason also?? Please any input or opinion would be greatly appreciated:)
Im 15 Years Old And My Dog Is About 11 Years Old And Hes Having The Same Problems He Just Lays Around And Refuses To Drink Water Or Even Eat And I Tell My Parents To GO To The Vet But They Dont Want To Not Because Of Paying Wise But Because I Know They Dont Care Ive Had This Dog Since I Was Four And Hes Always Been With Me Since Today And Just Seeing Him Lay In His Little Bed Just Makes Me Tear Up And Im A Guy  
I have a 14 year old Rottweiler/Border Collie mix that I have since I was 4 and she was just a puppy. I am now 18. Her name is Gloria and she is the sweetest, most loyal and caring dog i have ever known. In 2012 her left eye went blind. This past week she didn't drink any water or eat anything, and hasn't used the bathroom either because theres nothing for her to get rid of. She also can't hold her weight up and is very weak. when she gets up, she collapses down instead of sitting slowly. Her eyes are also goopy. I'm so heartbroken because i think it is her time to pass, but im afraid she'll pass while i'm at work or not at home. My parents want to see if she can tough it out until saturday, because thats when they said they'd put her down. I want her to be relieved of her pain sooner. And i have to work on saturday.
I love Gloria, and am so thankful for everything she has done for my family.
Hi I saw that you had posted on how to pay for vet bills. Can you please email me the information I cant find your post. ***@****
Thanks!
I am so sorry. I fealt some of your sadness, for even as I typr this my dog lilbit is laying next to me going through the same thing. I called several vets but just cant afford the cost and there is nothing I can do but rub his head and just wait.
i have a lab who cant  use his back legs,he has stopped eating,so he cant poop,he lays in the floor just staring off in space but he still drinks water.i read that you answered a person with a simular promblem but i could not find what your reply was.could please tell me.where can i get help with my vet bill.so i can help my boy
My dog is pucking and drinking water alot but bot eating if anyone can help me message me at 812-604-6921 hes a pug thanks guys
I have 4 year old femal yorkie and she will not eat no food at all, baby food,table food or any kind of dog food.
Took her to vet, they first told me from X-ray he have blockage in her stomach and she need surgery to remove it. They think she eat something.
Day of surgery dr took another X-ray now saying it disappear but she still the same not eating but taking small amount of water. Vet keep her for 2 days gave her I v drips but thats not helping. I spent $1500 and dog not getting better.

Dr saying all test negetive. Could she still have cancer

Hello. This is a curious one ... it could still be a blockage. X-rays don't always show it and sometimes vets don't see it, even more so in such a small dog. The blockage they saw on the first X-ray may have moved or could have broken up a little (if it was food orientated and not something plastic or similar that wouldn't break up). I am of course assuming the vet has done 'all tests', including taking blood for analysis of kidney problems?

Are you suspicious of her eating something? Have you seen her eat something she shouldn't? Has she had access to trash, rubber bands, plastics, children's toys, etc.?

Over Christmas, have you given her anything you might think is a human luxury - but which may not be suitable for dogs? Take a look at my list of common errors human owners make (with the best of intentions): http://www.infobarrel.com/Everyday_Foods_That_Are_Poisonous_To_Dogs

Get back with the answers and we can take it from there.

Tony
Hi . I have a golden retriever puppy who is 50 days old now. He has had the following symptoms and the vet told that it is tick fever .
1. Loss of weight
2.loss of appetite
3.he has become very anaemic. His gums look pale and his coat has become pale white.
4. He has become so weak that he Isnt able to stand also and is always sleeping.
The vet for the past two days gave him drips and medicines such as azhithral and yesterday changed him to doxycyline. Today morning still he Isnt eating or drinking milk and is still tired. He is my first dog and its really making me very sad . pls help me doc. Will the doxycyline itself cure him ? If so how long ?? When would he become normal and start eating ? I am unable to see him like this.

I am sorry to post this here... I have also created a separate thread asking the same. Pls help me friends
Hello. I would first point out that you shouldn't be giving your puppy milk. Many dogs are lactose intolerant, just like some humans, though this is much more common in dogs. The only milk a puppy should drink is from the mother, as this contains essential elements that protect the young pup's immune system. As your puppy is now almost 8 weeks old, it should no longer need milk from the mother and should now be eating puppy food.

I am not a vet, but know something about this infection.

Tick bite fever is quite a severe thing particularly in young dogs. The antibiotics given are correct, though the vet should also have prescribed vitamins to help promote appetite. Has he/she given any other meds other than the Doxycyline?

There is no vaccine available against tick bite fever. It is likely that a vaccine may never be developed as the natural immunity against tick bite fever is not very effective. The most important preventive measure is to keep animals as free from ticks as possible. This means regular dipping (weekly in summer) or making use of long-acting tick collars or tick sprays. Since it is not always possible to keep dogs free from all ticks, it is important to have a sick dog seen to as soon as possible.

The treatment for your puppy is likely to have been given for 4 weeks ... make sure you continue giving the meds for the full course. Tick bite fever can develop into a chronic condition, so be prepared for ongoing treatment potentially in the future.

Let us know how things progress. Tony
I'm looking for this post about the money issue. my dog is sick an money is an issue. ;(
hi, i have a 3 year old german shepard-pit bull mix that me and my husband rescued, sweetest and most playful as ever. BUT..........thje last 4 days hes not eating, he drinks a little water, whines and sleeps all day. PLEASE HELP.........I'M SOO SCARED
Hi. If he hasn't eaten anything for 4 days, that's a very long time without nutrition. You need to get him to a vet tomorrow at the latest. He needs a full blood panel doing (vet takes blood and has it analyzed for things like renal issues, liver problems, etc). Are you aware of anything unusual that he may have eaten, walked through, been in contact with? Have you used any chemicals recently in your home or in the garden? Have you fed him anything out of the norm? Have there been any other symptoms? Have the symptoms remained constant over the last 4 days or have they increased or decreased? Any vomiting? Any diarrhea?

Tony
We adopted a 5 yo weim a few months ago. She has seemed healthy and happy. About a month ago we noticed she did not want to eat...she also had very small stools, if any, and these had Gel like substance on them..she will not drink expect maybe a tablespoon. We boiled off rice water and put a little chicken broth in it...she drinks that but throws up part of it. In the last month she has have very few bowel movements...they looke small and black. My husband thinks she will be o.k. but I think we need to take her to the vet. We have her past vet records and took her when we first adopted her and everything seemed fine.  We have lost 4 weims to cancer, ms and immune disorders...Not sure what to do at this point..
Hi. Yes, you are right, she definitely needs to see a vet - and urgently. It could be an infection of the digestive tract, but the black stools indicate blood, so this needs investigating. Sometimes blood is released from ulcers in the stomach or along the bowel, but obviously it can also be something more sinister.

The fact she has not eaten properly for so long is also of concern. The gel like substance is probably mucous or/and bile, which is released due to infection (could be parasitic in nature).

Your husband is wrong on this occasion. Your dog needs the vet.

Tony