Dogs Community
My dog not eating and no energy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Viewing 201-204 comments:
Hello & welcome...Yes, we can help you......Please post your (Identical) question as a NEW question in this forum....Right now, it's attached to a very long thread & most will not see it.....

Start over with a new one & you will get more responses......Please, come back.......Karla
My dog had the exact same symptoms, my parents think it can`t be cured by a vet, they also think he has the flue, they just keep making up excuses, i have begged and begged them to take him to the vet. I scared he is going to die, please help me convince my parents i`m desperate!!
i`m
I nearly missed your question because it's at the end of a very long old thread. Sometimes questions can get a bit "lost" like that.
If you want to ask more about your dog, do start a new question. t will get everyone's attention.

Anyway, you are right to be worried about your dog. If he refuses food, and just lies about with no energy, then something is wrong. He is either in pain, or feeling very sick. Or both.
The ONLY person who can really really help him is the VET. He needs to see a vet very soon.
Hopefully, this will be something easy to diagnose, and to treat.
He could -for example, have pain from arthritis, or he could have some systemic problem, which only medication can help. The sooner he gets help, the sooner he will be on his feet again, hopefully.

The vet will probably run a blood test for him, to check how his organs (liver, kidneys etc) are functioning.

If your parents are concerned about the cost of vets' fees, then please do re-post your question as a new question, because there are people here who have good knowledge about all the financial help available. Because I live in the UK, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of things like that. We have different options here.
i have a 15 week old puppy that was a rescue from some relly bad ppl but she is no longer eating or really drinking and losing weight like crazy
My 12 yr old golden has suddenly stopped eating. It has been 3-4 days.  He drank water for the first time this morning, and ate a little chicken and rice, but only if I added some cheese.  I took him to the vet two days ago and she did and xray, ultra sound complete blood work.  $480 later she found nothing. her exam only determined that the colon was full and he had a lot of gas, and his stomach was tender.  My feeling is he has a possible blockage in his stomach or someting that is preventing the contents to pass through and out.  He is not vomiting, and is urinating, but extremely listless. However, he wants to walk outside with me, albet slowely, so it is not dire at thim moment.  Is their anything I can give him that would possibly help hin pass whatever may be in his stomach and help him pass the impacted matter in his colon, rather than have exploratory surgery?
My dog wont eat. But drinks after drinking she vomotes ! Acts as if she has no personlity. What can be wrong ?
Sounds like he is run down. When did you last walk him? If you regularly walk him does he keep up with you and is he winded?

http://mhlnk.com/D491A423
My Rotti had to have a toe removed. and some times he eat and sometimes he don`t he`s not drinking water sometimes. I was wondering is it that he needs vitimans? He`s 8.. Sometimes he`s walking and some times he can`t get up. Its been 2 weeks sence surgry. If vitimans , whats the best.
como ago para qeu mi perro coma ya yeva mucho tempo sin comer no come nada
. My puppy boi  is not eating just a little while  he through up water  he doesn't  play with is sister  like e use to!  His only less then six weeks old he is half chow and the other half lab
i have a 5 month old puppy, she has 2 days of not eating. i don't know what to do. and i don't have the money to take her to a vet. please can anyone give me some type of advice to help my dog. i'm very worried she wont make it, since she looks very weak and looks very skinny. please help me.
did it cost anything to get the medicine becouse my dog has the same problem
Hi there,

My mom's yellow lab was experiencing seizures as well. Turns out it was the food she was giving him. Once she changed that, he has been good for over a year.
my dog is sick to my other dog had this and we got her shot it is called parvo all you need to do is go to the feeding store and there is one in rosenburg adn there is shots and i got my first dog that and then she got all good and she ia as good as normal :)
My dog will not eat its been 100 digress and she will not eat
Hello, my father suddenly passed away from a heart attack at home 2 weeks ago and now his dog, longshot a 9 yo dachshund, has not eaten for 3 days. I tried a different dog food but she won't eat it. She will still eat her treats, which she was not doing right after he passed. She just seems depressed. Anyone had this kind of experience?
In 2007 you posted some hints about how to help pay for vet bills.
As I am unable to retrieve that info, would you please email it to ***@****? Thanks
My name is Brandie,
I have a 6 month old chihuahua, in the past week or so he has lost weight, he has completely lost all appetite. Ive tried everything from canned puppy food to chicken broth, nothing has worked. Today I started giving him canned puppy formula and he lost interest with that in minutes. He now is refusing to drink water and will not do anything but sleep. when it first started he was vomiting and now it has progressed into diarrhea, the consistency is like melted chocolate. His blood work came up alarming, his WBC (white blood cell count) as 51.1, normally it is 5.6 to 16.5. The vet said that it was not Parvovirus and most likely not kidney failure. Please help! email brandie.***@****
i am facing same problem take him to vet because this normally happen when dogs have fever as they dnt feel hungry....just check tht his nose is wet or not...if not then the possibility is of fever....
I have a 7 yr old shi shuz dog that went from eating very good to not at all. I had to feed her with a fork and then went to out of my hand now not at all. she is not sick plays and eats treats. Please help
Start a new post.
good day everyone I'm Maria and I'm worry about my dog his mix bread his name is LUCKY  , and his not eating tonight and yesterday he only eat so small amount of food and I went to the vet yesterday and he have a fever but I went just today and I was happy that his fever is gone but his not eating I can't force my dog cause his only about going 3 months and when I try to put a food in his mouth he just vomit the food I'm very worry and sad cause my two dogs just die the one dog die one month ago and the other one just died 3 days ago so now I'm worry about him cause I love my dog, tomrow I will get the blood test that vet have. I pray that his alright and all the test would be negative for any sickness I don't where to get my strength two days I can't sleep well I'm so worry about LUCKy I have many thoughts that maybe his just sad that the other dogs died or his just sick . I will pray for you LUcky pls. try to fight and be strong again ....
My 3 month old husky wolf is always sleeping not active at all she is not eating but is drinking water she is skinny.she has blood in her stool and she vomits up clear fluid when she is laying down she moans im scared she will die.the thing is that I got her on feb.22 from a pet store and I dont know what they were feeding her and money is a very big problem for me right now I was woundering if you could help me and if you could tell me what I should do
My Great Pyrenees pups about 4-6 months old got into some old ham about 3 days ago that was in the garbage out side(that smelled horrible). Yesterday the oldest(Charlie), started acting very weird. He wouldn't play or eat. All he wants to do is sleep. Well last night the younger one(bear) threw up and then started acting the same way. Well today bear started acting better, he ate a treat but wouldn't touch his dog food and was drinking good. And then Charlie seemed as if he was doing a little bit better as far as energy, but still won't eat and will only sleep. The only thing I've got him to eat was a wiener but he acts like he's very weak like his mouth is hurting or something. Is the ham what made them sick or does it sound like something different? Also last week Charlie's mouth was bleeding and I looked and his tooth either fell out or broke off. Could this be a reason also?? Please any input or opinion would be greatly appreciated:)
Im 15 Years Old And My Dog Is About 11 Years Old And Hes Having The Same Problems He Just Lays Around And Refuses To Drink Water Or Even Eat And I Tell My Parents To GO To The Vet But They Dont Want To Not Because Of Paying Wise But Because I Know They Dont Care Ive Had This Dog Since I Was Four And Hes Always Been With Me Since Today And Just Seeing Him Lay In His Little Bed Just Makes Me Tear Up And Im A Guy  
I have a 14 year old Rottweiler/Border Collie mix that I have since I was 4 and she was just a puppy. I am now 18. Her name is Gloria and she is the sweetest, most loyal and caring dog i have ever known. In 2012 her left eye went blind. This past week she didn't drink any water or eat anything, and hasn't used the bathroom either because theres nothing for her to get rid of. She also can't hold her weight up and is very weak. when she gets up, she collapses down instead of sitting slowly. Her eyes are also goopy. I'm so heartbroken because i think it is her time to pass, but im afraid she'll pass while i'm at work or not at home. My parents want to see if she can tough it out until saturday, because thats when they said they'd put her down. I want her to be relieved of her pain sooner. And i have to work on saturday.
I love Gloria, and am so thankful for everything she has done for my family.
Hi I saw that you had posted on how to pay for vet bills. Can you please email me the information I cant find your post. ***@****
Thanks!
I am so sorry. I fealt some of your sadness, for even as I typr this my dog lilbit is laying next to me going through the same thing. I called several vets but just cant afford the cost and there is nothing I can do but rub his head and just wait.
i have a lab who cant  use his back legs,he has stopped eating,so he cant poop,he lays in the floor just staring off in space but he still drinks water.i read that you answered a person with a simular promblem but i could not find what your reply was.could please tell me.where can i get help with my vet bill.so i can help my boy
My dog is pucking and drinking water alot but bot eating if anyone can help me message me at 812-604-6921 hes a pug thanks guys
I have 4 year old femal yorkie and she will not eat no food at all, baby food,table food or any kind of dog food.
Took her to vet, they first told me from X-ray he have blockage in her stomach and she need surgery to remove it. They think she eat something.
Day of surgery dr took another X-ray now saying it disappear but she still the same not eating but taking small amount of water. Vet keep her for 2 days gave her I v drips but thats not helping. I spent $1500 and dog not getting better.

Dr saying all test negetive. Could she still have cancer

Hello. This is a curious one ... it could still be a blockage. X-rays don't always show it and sometimes vets don't see it, even more so in such a small dog. The blockage they saw on the first X-ray may have moved or could have broken up a little (if it was food orientated and not something plastic or similar that wouldn't break up). I am of course assuming the vet has done 'all tests', including taking blood for analysis of kidney problems?

Are you suspicious of her eating something? Have you seen her eat something she shouldn't? Has she had access to trash, rubber bands, plastics, children's toys, etc.?

Over Christmas, have you given her anything you might think is a human luxury - but which may not be suitable for dogs? Take a look at my list of common errors human owners make (with the best of intentions): http://www.infobarrel.com/Everyday_Foods_That_Are_Poisonous_To_Dogs

Get back with the answers and we can take it from there.

Tony
Hi . I have a golden retriever puppy who is 50 days old now. He has had the following symptoms and the vet told that it is tick fever .
1. Loss of weight
2.loss of appetite
3.he has become very anaemic. His gums look pale and his coat has become pale white.
4. He has become so weak that he Isnt able to stand also and is always sleeping.
The vet for the past two days gave him drips and medicines such as azhithral and yesterday changed him to doxycyline. Today morning still he Isnt eating or drinking milk and is still tired. He is my first dog and its really making me very sad . pls help me doc. Will the doxycyline itself cure him ? If so how long ?? When would he become normal and start eating ? I am unable to see him like this.

I am sorry to post this here... I have also created a separate thread asking the same. Pls help me friends
Hello. I would first point out that you shouldn't be giving your puppy milk. Many dogs are lactose intolerant, just like some humans, though this is much more common in dogs. The only milk a puppy should drink is from the mother, as this contains essential elements that protect the young pup's immune system. As your puppy is now almost 8 weeks old, it should no longer need milk from the mother and should now be eating puppy food.

I am not a vet, but know something about this infection.

Tick bite fever is quite a severe thing particularly in young dogs. The antibiotics given are correct, though the vet should also have prescribed vitamins to help promote appetite. Has he/she given any other meds other than the Doxycyline?

There is no vaccine available against tick bite fever. It is likely that a vaccine may never be developed as the natural immunity against tick bite fever is not very effective. The most important preventive measure is to keep animals as free from ticks as possible. This means regular dipping (weekly in summer) or making use of long-acting tick collars or tick sprays. Since it is not always possible to keep dogs free from all ticks, it is important to have a sick dog seen to as soon as possible.

The treatment for your puppy is likely to have been given for 4 weeks ... make sure you continue giving the meds for the full course. Tick bite fever can develop into a chronic condition, so be prepared for ongoing treatment potentially in the future.

Let us know how things progress. Tony
I'm looking for this post about the money issue. my dog is sick an money is an issue. ;(
hi, i have a 3 year old german shepard-pit bull mix that me and my husband rescued, sweetest and most playful as ever. BUT..........thje last 4 days hes not eating, he drinks a little water, whines and sleeps all day. PLEASE HELP.........I'M SOO SCARED
Hi. If he hasn't eaten anything for 4 days, that's a very long time without nutrition. You need to get him to a vet tomorrow at the latest. He needs a full blood panel doing (vet takes blood and has it analyzed for things like renal issues, liver problems, etc). Are you aware of anything unusual that he may have eaten, walked through, been in contact with? Have you used any chemicals recently in your home or in the garden? Have you fed him anything out of the norm? Have there been any other symptoms? Have the symptoms remained constant over the last 4 days or have they increased or decreased? Any vomiting? Any diarrhea?

Tony
We adopted a 5 yo weim a few months ago. She has seemed healthy and happy. About a month ago we noticed she did not want to eat...she also had very small stools, if any, and these had Gel like substance on them..she will not drink expect maybe a tablespoon. We boiled off rice water and put a little chicken broth in it...she drinks that but throws up part of it. In the last month she has have very few bowel movements...they looke small and black. My husband thinks she will be o.k. but I think we need to take her to the vet. We have her past vet records and took her when we first adopted her and everything seemed fine.  We have lost 4 weims to cancer, ms and immune disorders...Not sure what to do at this point..
Hi. Yes, you are right, she definitely needs to see a vet - and urgently. It could be an infection of the digestive tract, but the black stools indicate blood, so this needs investigating. Sometimes blood is released from ulcers in the stomach or along the bowel, but obviously it can also be something more sinister.

The fact she has not eaten properly for so long is also of concern. The gel like substance is probably mucous or/and bile, which is released due to infection (could be parasitic in nature).

Your husband is wrong on this occasion. Your dog needs the vet.

Tony
My 5.5 yr old lab started not eating this morning, still nothing this eve?
Hi. Could be just an upset stomach, so don't worry about it today. If he/she refuses food tomorrow, then try a little cooked chicken and boiled white rice ... if he/she is still refusing all food after the second day, see a vet. Make sure he/she has access to plenty of fresh water, because dehydration is much more of a problem.

Tony
I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their stories in this thread and a special thanks to Tony for giving his time and advice.  It really helps with someone like me, who has never dealt with a loss of a pet until today.  I sat here and read through all the similar accounts during my dog's last night, this gave me peace of mind and confirmed my fears of what was happening to my loyal JR/Scottish Terrier companion of almost 16 years, Missy.

This past year she went from having lowered appetite, to lethargic behavior, and this past week, having problems vomiting.  The last 2 days she went into a constant state of nausea and restlessness.  Her eating and drinking had stopped and only had a few sips of water and homemade turkey soup broth.

What sort of made my situation more difficult than it should've been is that I am living in deep poverty and only had a few hundred dollars between me and my mother, whom I live with.  When she could no longer sit up on her own, we got her to an emergency vet and he told us we had to pay around $1k to test and do IV's.  She had a high-grade fever at the time, so all I could do is take her back home and attempt to break it and see if she improved over the night.  We ended up finding a free clinic coupon for a vet inside Petsmart this morning.  They were willing to split the blood work cost if we wanted to test her, but I knew that would be fruitless at this point.

The rough part there is that was not when we said goodbye to our dog, the clinic wanted $177 just to euthanize.  We had no choice but to carry her limp body back out and drive home.  From there, I went searching for a place that could help us put her to rest.  We found the Humane Society, which will not turn anyone away, if you cannot afford the $70 for their service.  I expected a very cold and shabby clinic that processed requests, honestly, but was pleasantly surprised at the empathy and care they provided, from receptionist to the nurse who led us to the dimly-lit and peaceful room.  

I couldn't go through with staying until the last second, but I did say my goodbyes, tears were shed, and I left her with a "Night-night, Missy." as I looked in eyes and exited with a feeling of emptiness.  I take comfort in the fact she went without feeling unbearable pain and that she lived a really long and mostly healthy life.  What ***** is that we have another 12 year old JR that I'm also very close with (I'm a bit of a recluse and I have undoubted spent 90% of my life next to them), it's probably going to be harder when I notice these same symptoms, but at least we'll have even more time to prepare.

Thanks for reading my story.  --James
Hello James. That's a hard story to read - and I share in your tears - but I am also pleased that you have given such useful information about The Humane Society, which others in a similar situation could find truly invaluable. So, despite your loss and undoubted sadness, I would just like to say a huge thank you for taking the time to write it.

Missy is never gone from your life. She has a warm and safe place in your heart - and the memories of her enjoying life will live as long as you. You both shared the experiences of life, love and companionship. I can tell from what you have written that you loved/love Missy so much - and if she could say it, she would say a huge thank you for giving her such a wonderful life.

This is a special time of the year when many of us expect to be sharing happy days with our best friends, which makes the loss of a special companion right now that much harder. You are in my thoughts.

Take good care of yourself.

Tony
Boy, that was hard for me, too!! What a valuable message this is, though......Thank you for doing everything you could for your Missy.....

I've always been offended at the price for euthanasia......There needs to be changes on this one medical procedure....

I'm touched by the support you received at The Humane Society.....Kudo's to them......

I'm so sorry for your loss....Thank you for taking such great care of your girl! I for one, appreciate it immensely....Blessings to you & your mom......Karla
Thanks a lot guys, I really do hope my tip about The Humane Society is able to help someone in the future.  That gives a little bit of peace of mind for me.  One thing that has entered my head, which I'm sure is common, is the fact that I didn't stay with her until her last breath...

I have a history of over-thinking everything, so that is to be expected.  I just had to remind myself that she was in such a deep haze, that I'm sure her reaction to the hairclipper or needle poke was probably not enough for her to even lift her head.  I know those little things can eat you up, so I just had to vent that.  

The holidays are definitely harsh, I'm grateful to have a strong supporting family and that I found this place when I needed it most.
Hi again James. Yes, we all go through the guilt-trip, second-guessing everything we did and trying to analyse the what-ifs ... but what you did was help her out of her suffering. Full stop. And you went the extra mile to achieve it out of love, kindness and compassion.

I'm pleased you have a supportive family around you - many are not so fortunate under similar circumstances. I lost my best friend 3 years ago, which was the first time I came here to MedHelp ... and I've been here ever since. It's my way of repaying her (she was called BB) for the years of devotion she gave me. A kind of legacy, I guess.

This forum is a great place to be when you are feeling down, guilty or isolated after losing a pet. There are so many wonderful people here. And all understand the angst involved.

I hope as each day passes, things get a little easier.

Tony
I have a 5-6 year old yorkie who is staying in bed all the time. He won't eat or drink unless you give it to him by hand. He also hasn't been exercising now that its winter and hasn't been doing his business. My family thinks he needs attention but something more is wrong. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know...
Hi. I agree, there is something happening to your best friend. I would strongly advise going to the vet and having bloods taken for a panel test. This could be several things, but if it has been persistent over several days or weeks, it is likely to be something more serious.

Questions: Have you noticed any bad odour coming from his mouth? Is he drinking more water than usual?

Tony
Viewing 201-204 comments: