Dogs Community
Pedialyte for dog with kidney failure?????

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

8045792?1339612346
My 10 year old, Prince was diagnosed with kidney failure in February, the latest in a list of other medical problems. I have found some tips through these forums that have helped keep him stable since and was wondering about Pedialyte. Has anyone gave this to their dog and if so, what was the result?

Prince suffers from Pancreatitis, Cushing's Disease and SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration).
Bump
Hi PrincesMom...
I really know about the Pedialyte.  I know that it is OK to give dogs Pedialyte, but I'm not sure how it affects the kidneys. So, I don't know if it would really be beneficial for the kidneys..?
Is Prince drinking water...?  Distilled water might be best for him...and his kidneys. If he is not drinking anything, then MAYBE pedialyte would be best, as something is better than nothing.

Hopefully other forum members will know more about the Pedialyte and will be able to guide you better.  You could check out the Dog Aware Website...www.Dogaware.come...also, try posting your question in the Ask a Veterinarian section of this forum.  What has your vet suggested..?

Poor little guy...sounds like he has alot of issues. You certainly have your hands full when it comes to managing his diseases.

Stay in touch, and let us know how he is doing...and what you find out about the Pedialyte.
Connie
Thank you, I will post to ask a vet. My vet said to give Prince anything he wants as long as it doesn't hurt him. He will only drink water if I melt a popsicle in it. He is very picky, so I am always looking for suggestions. Thanks again!

Paula
Hi Paula...
If Prince is willing to drink something, try giving him some Distilled water...if he doesn't want to drink it, try adding some Pedialyte to it...it will give the water a little flavor.  Also, you could try freezing a tub (coolwhip) bowl of water and or Pedialyte. Put the big ice cube in a bowl, and he may enjoy licking it, much like a Popsicle.  
Or how about Distilled Water with a Popsicle that was melted in it...?
I know my dogs enjoy chipped ice...they think it is a real treat.

Connie
Wow, you really are doing an amazing job with Prince. So many problems to deal with. He is so lucky to have you sharing his life. I can't add anything more to what Connie has suggested, but maybe others will, so keep coming back to check. That's a fabulous picture of Prince, by the way ... and I'm hoping you can both enjoy some great experiences yet and into the future. My admiration goes to you, you have done and are continuing to do a fantastic job with him. Tony
Connie,
I give Prince ice chips as well, he loves it, so I think I will try freezing the Pedialyte, thanks for the idea! Prince also sees an Internal Medicene Specialist vet, I have emailed him asking his opinion on the Pedialyte versus popsicle water. I will share what he says, for future references. I am so glad I found this forum. I trust my vets, but they don't know everything! It helps getting advice from people who have gone through it!
I got a tip about using the Gerbers Graduate Puffs as dog treats for dogs with kidney and pancreas issues and it blew my vets mind! He always recomended cherrios, but when he looked at the can of puffs, he wrote them down and said he was going to recomend them instead!
Thanks again!
Tony,
Thank you. I know you and everyone in this forum understand the love between a dog and it's owner. He is not just my dog, he is my baby and I have done and would anything for him. He has been sick since I adopted him with one thing after another, and the diagnosis of kidney failure came at the worst possible time. To make a long story short, I moved back home 2 years ago after my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer, and he passed away on January 2nd. Prince was diagnosed with the kidney failure on February 19th. It has really been a hard blow, because I feel focusing on Prince is the reason I have not fell apart from losing my Dad.
But, thank you again for the compliment and it's nice to talk to people who have been through the same things.!

Paula
Gerbers Puffs are a great tip...! Thanks for sharing that info....every little bit helps every dog and dog parent that has to go through this.
It is so nice of you to share the info the vet gives you, on the Pedialyte....everyone who reads it, and is in the same situation, will be thankful.
Give Prince a Hug from me...One for you too.
Connie
Oh brother...! I just re-read my original post to you...The first line should have read..."I really don't know much about the Pedialyte"...but, I guess you figured that out, just by reading the post...
Connie
Welcome....Gladly, it looks like our forum"s "Kidney Experts" have already responded.....
Pedialyte makes a popsicle...They're called freezer pops.....I don't think they are in the frozen foods, they come in a box (On the shelf) and you freeze them yourself....However, Pedialyte is full of salt & IMO would end up being harder on the system if given continuously (Especially on the Heart & Kidneys).......This leads to further dehydration that your dog does not need!  On the other hand, your dog likes the popsicle water because it's full of sugar which can lead to all sorts of issues given long term......

What would help the most is to be feeding a whole food, minimally processed, WET diet, with quality protein & not have to worry so much about his water intake from his bowl!    Let us know what your Vet says, I'll be thinking about you both......Karla
Karla,
Thank you for the info about Pedialyte, that in what I have been wondering. I figured the popsicle water with all the sugar is not good, but that is the only way I can get him to drink it. So, I am trying to figure out which will be least harmful.

Thanks!
Paula
Karla is abso,lutely right about wet foods (tinned or preferably natural), as they keep a dog hydrated - especially those that aren't naturally prone to drinking water. My favourite amongst the wet foods are frozen blocks of white fish, chicken and green tripe (green for dogs, white for humans) that you cook (I use the microwave for ease) - mixed with some boiled white rice (not wholegrain as dogs find it hard to digest). I have never met a dog yet that won't eat green tripe, it stinks to high heaven, but they love it and it's full of natural ingredients, minerals and nutrition. You can buy natural meats and white fish for dogs at any good pet store, look in the freezer department or you might have to ask about it.

So sorry to hear about your dad, on top of everything else. You are really going through the mill right now. Words are never enough, but I really hope you are able to take some time out at some stage, just to relax and grieve like I'm sure you need to. Big hugs, Tony
Prince is having a bad week. He is becoming more picky with his food, he has been really gassy and has not been able to rest well. I had him groomed Saturday and he has been off ever since.This has happened before, when he gets upset, his pancreatitis acts up, but it usually subsides after a day or two. I think he is getting worse, even though his blood work came back good 3 weeks ago. I am hoping that he is just out of whack from getting upset over going to the groomers.
My family says I am overreacting since he is not vomiting and holding down the food he does decide to eat, but I think him being so restless means he feels bad, and I don't want him to be miserable.
I knew when my Dad had had enough, he couldn't tell me, but I saw it in his eyes the last day he was conscious. I am hoping I will know when the time is for Prince too. I just hate to see him feel bad.
Any advice from anyone who has went through this would appreciated. Maybe I am overreacting???
Hi Paula...Does your groomer express his anal sacs along with his grooming? If so, then it's pain from having his sacs expressed...It usually takes my sensitive one, anywhere from 3 days to 1 week to get back to normal......That's the first thing I thought of after I read your post.......Keep us updated on him & best wishes...........Karla
Karla,
Yes, they do express the anal sac, thank you for mentioning it! I had forgotten about that. I hope that is all it is. Thank you!! I really appreciate all the help I get from this forum, and will definately keep you posted.

Paula
Hi Paula...
Wow, sounds like Karla certainly may have figured out Prince's discomfort..!
I know if I had anal sacs expressed, I'd probably be a little uncomfortable too..! It certainly sounds like that could be the problem. Good thinking Karla.!

Paula, you never mentioned what stage of kidney failure Prince is in.
Also, is he currently taking any medications for his kidneys...?  I am just wondering, if he is getting pickier at what he is eating, maybe he is starting to feel nauseated. And if he is not drinking, then he would be more dehydrated, and he may be feeling sicker as a result. How often is he suppose to have his bloodwork done...?
Perhaps it is time for some anti nausea medication...?
I have also been wondering what your vet said about the pedialyte.

I hope Prince is feeling better soon, please keep us posted...
Thinking of you both....Connie
Hi Connie,
Neither of his vets mentioned a stage of kidney failure, but here is what his levels were: BUN-71; Creatinine-4.7. This was on Feb. 16th. Now they are: BUN-27; Creatinine-2.2. His phosphorus has increased from 5.8 to 6.6, but I really can't do anything to control this. The diet he needs for his pancreas is high in phosphorus and the binders give him bad diarrhea. The diet that best controlled all of his issues was the baby food & cottage cheese, but he is refusing those now!
The last blood test only showed five things higher than the normal range: Alk. Phos., Creatinine, Phosphorus, Cholesterol and Platelet Count. Both vets said as long as the results were decent, to only do them every 6-8 weeks.
I am going to ask about the anti-nausea meds, they probably would not hurt. I also have an appetite stimulant med that I thought about giving him. ??
Also, his specialists said that I could try him on the Pedialyte, that it would not hurt him. I have not bought it because he has actually started drinking plain old water again on his own the past few days.
He is better today versus the rest of the week, so I hope it was just discomfort from the grooming. Like I said, it usually does upset him, it has just never lasted as long.
Thank you again, for the advice. I really, really appreciate it! I will take any to help my baby!!
Hey Connie,
You asked what meds he is on for his kidneys. He is not on anything specifically for the kidneys. Are there meds that could help?
Paula
BUMP for Connie and Tony to see.......Thanks
Hi Paula..
I just replied to your message...I'm sorry that I wasn't able to answer sooner, but sometimes my job keeps me away from the house for a couple of days.
As far as Meds for kidney disease goes,Dogs with kidney failure will end up getting ulcers, throughout their digestive tract, and because of the ulcers, the vet will prescribe anti ulcer medications, as well as anti nausea meds. Dogs with kidney disease will also experience a rise in their phosphorus levels, so typically a phosphate binder is given. And when the dog is not drinking, and not staying hydrated enough, then it is time to start administering Sub-Q fluids. Many dogs with kidney disease, also have high blood pressure, so often times, an ace inhibitor is prescribed.
There are also several supplements that are available for kidney support.
Have you checked out the Dogaware website yet...?
If not, look into it...at....
www.Dogaware.com
Click on the health section, and you will see a section about kidney disease.  It is very helpful and informative.
Let me know what your think about it...and keep in touch.
I will answer your posts, whenever I can...
Take care...Connie
Hey Connie,
My vet did not want to put him on an anti-nausea since he is not vomiting. He said if he is nauseaous, it is because he is getting more uremic and the only thing that could help is more sub-q fluids. So, I am going to give everyday and see if he improves.

Paul
Hi Paula...
It sounds like you and your vet have a handle on things. Prince has a lot of issues, and you and your vet are a great team. Prince is so blessed to be under such good care.  
I will be hoping and praying that the sub-q fluids will help make Prince more comfortable. Give him a smooch from me....I will be thinking of you both.
Connie
Connie,
Thank you so much, I will give him a big smooch! I bought some watermelon today, cut it up into small pieces and froze it. After eating 10 pcs, he ate some crackers, them more watermelon, then more crackers! All in small doses over 4 hours...but I'm happy he is eating now. Thank you for the help and advice, it means so much to me!
Paula
Hi Paula,
It's wonderful to hear that Prince is eating. He must be feeling pretty good.
The watermelon sounds yummy...I think I better get some for myself..!
Have you tried offering him any sweet potato..?  My dogs love it. I cut it into cubes and steam it, or just bake it in the oven. Sweet potato is low in phosphorus. Also, you can try to find some "Green Tripe" it has to be the green tripe for dogs, do not buy the bleached tripe that is for human consumption. Green Tripe is stinky, but from what I understand, most dogs love it, and its friendly on the kidneys.

Hey, I was thinking about the fact that Prince's phosphorus level is increasing, and you said that the "Binders" give him bad diarrhea. Were the binders that you tried, pharmaceuticals?  If, they were, maybe you could try using crushed eggshell.  It might be gentler on him, but then again, if it causes diarrhea, then he will just become more dehydrated...anyway, it is just a thought that I wanted to run by you.
Maybe You could start out with "Just a sprinkle" on his food..?  

I hope you and Prince have a good day...Take care,
Connie
If you want to try the crushed eggshells, just rinse them clean, let them dry, bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, (till brittle) and then crush or grind them as fine as you can, I used a mortar and pestle.
I have also read, that many people will use Calcitrol to help control their dogs phosphorus levels... just one more thing for you to think about, and talk to your vet about ..( like you don't have enough already, right..? )
Hey Connie,
Yes he ate sweet potato for about six months, but now he refuses it. Tony had recommended the green tripe, but I can't find it anywhere in my area. I am really running out of things to give him. He loves the watermelon, but I don't think it is very filling. I am going to go buy some low sodium turkey breast right now. My vet said at this point, try anything to get him to eat. The binder was a white liquid his vet specialist gave me. I think I will try the eggshells. I can always stop if they hurt him! Thank you for the advice, again!! lol

Paula
Paula.......Can't OTC "Tums" be used for Binders? Anyone know? Connie?

When Tony speaks of Tripe, I believe he means fresh Tripe.....He is not in the states and must have a greater access to it......If you live in any size of a town, you CAN find CANNED green tripe......Petco or Petsmart will sell at least one brand......Any mom & pop Specialty dogfood store will have it......"Green Cow" & "Tripett" are the two most common......Again, they are in a can!  It's probably the most nutritious food (For Dogs) on the planet!  My dogs have eaten it for years......

It will be very RICH right out of the can......I would add some cooked rice w/it..... Hugs to you & Prince.......Karla

P.S. For reheating, DO NOT microwave too long.......It not only destroys the nutrition & Enzymes, but your house will smell like a barn for days!!  :)

Hey Karla,
I have called around to all the pet shops, big and small and none carry it. Most don't even know what it is. I called Prince's internal med. vet and asked if they knew of a place, I am waiting to hear back from them. I was able to get him to eat some hot dog, and some turkey breast. He is also loving frozen peaches as well as the watermelon.

I bought some egg whites and broccoli to try tomorrow. He used to eat broccoli-but I never know from day to day what he will eat now!

I hope my vet knows of where I can buy the green tripe, because I have heard nothing but great things about it.  Thank you for the advice, I will let you know what my says!

Paula
Hi Paula.....More than likely, the people at the stores do not know what your talking about.......The easiest one to find is made by Solid Gold......Solid Gold has a whole line of good foods.....Petco sells the Solid Gold Line.......ALong w/ the other canned foods, there will be "Green Cow".....It's the green Tripe.....

I have seen it at ALL Petcos, big or small........Next would be to order a few online.....Amazon is where I'd go.....Their shipping is quick......Good luck & keep us updated......Karla
Hi Karla,
The nutrionist at Prince's vet specialist called today and said she would not recommend giving him the green tripe because it is higher in fat than he should have for his pancreatitis.

She said to keep giving him what I am; and she will call me Tuesday to go over more ideas.

He is doing much better, so the everyday fluids are working.

Thank you again for all the help!

Paula
Hi Paula

It is true that some ground-up Green Tripe has a high fat content, but the frozen blocks I suggested is actually trimmed of the fat, so isn't usually an issue. But best to go with what the nutritionalist at your vet says on this one. I know it becomes increasingly difficult to get dogs in kidney failure to eat, so there comes a stage when anything that works is worth trying. It's also true that freshly frozen Green Tripe seems to be more available in the UK, which is where I am chatting to you from. Big hugs to you and Prince. It's great to hear things have improved a little. Tony
Hey everyone,
I have a question about seizures. Prince has been doing much better the last few days. Then I went to a movie last night and my Mom said he was very aggitated while I was gone, and he still is today. Then about an hour ago, right after he finished eating he started jumping harder than usual, he started high stepping with his two front paws and going in circles. I picked him up and he just tensed up really bad, holding his front paws up by his face. This lasted for about 2 or 3 minutes. After this stopped he was still shivering, so I took him outside to warn up. He walked around for about a minute, pee'd, then he snapped out of it. He walked back in on his own and drank some water. We having been sitting in my bed for about 40 minutes now and he is real restless, tremors every now and then, and whimpers ocassionally.

Unfortunately, his vet is closed until Monday, so I a helpless till then.

Have your dogs had seizures; if so, does this sound like one? And is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

Paula
It just happened again! This time, while he was eating. Can a dog get themselves so worked up they have a seizure? That seems to be the only common thread between these two attacks. He has been crazy while he ate today, even biting me (not on purpose, I have to hand feed him, since he is blind). ???
Hi Paula,
I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner...I have been at work since 9pm last night, and got home a short while ago. ( I did an overnight shift )
I do know that seizures can be associated with kidney failure, but if I am not mistaken, I also believe that SARDS dogs can also be afflicted with seizures.
What you are describing does sound like Prince is having seizures, if so, the general rule of thumb is...if the dog has 3 or more seizures in a 24 hour period, it is considered an emergency....seek medical attention as soon as possible. I realize it is a weekend, and you said your vet is not available till Monday, but don't they have an after hours number you can call for emergencies...?  
I wish I could help, but I don't know if there is any thing I can suggest.
Talking to your vet would be the Absolute best thing to do.
Paula...I have to go back to work in the morning...so I will be going to sleep soon...it is 9:45 pm now...Hopefully others who are familiar with seizures, will read this post and be able to offer some better advice.
I will be thinking of you, and will check back in with you tomorrow night.
I hope Prince and you will have an uneventful night, and things go well until you can see your Vet.
My thoughts and Prayers will be with you both...
Connie
Ok Paula...heres one more thing...I mentioned in one of my other replies something about high blood pressure...Was Prince ever checked for high blood pressure...?  I know that Kidney disease can be associated with high blood pressure, and so can SARDS. High Blood Pressure can also cause seizures...so talk to your vet about getting Prince's pressure checked.
Take care..Connie
Hi Paula....
Just checking in....I hope all is going well.
Connie
Connie is absolutely right, seizures are not uncommon in dogs with such problems. It is certainly something you need to raise with your vet, even if it is just an emergency telephone call where they can give you some advice. Seizures come in all shapes and sizes, from extreme to miniscule, and each has its own management challenges. It is worth pointing out that dogs can also suffer amnesia immediately following a seizure and may therefore seem disorientated for a while, possibly not recongnising familiar things or people.

I suspect these tremors are also connected with both biological and nuerological systems shutting down or re-assigning themselves, brought on by Prince's physical issues. There may be very little you can do about this, but do consult your vet about it. I really hope he's ok today - do let us know. Tony
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't wrote back, but I have doing finals for a few college classes.

Prince has not had any other episodes aside from those two. He has been on meds for high blood pressure for about 3 years. But with him being off his food for the last week to 10 days, I have not able to get him to take all his meds on a regular basis.

He has been doing good since Sunday, eating and taking all his meds, but my vet is on holiday and won't return till tomorrow. I will definately let ya'll know what he says, after I speak with him.

Thank you so much for all the help and concern. It means a lot!!

Paula
I just wanted to let everyone know Prince took a turn for the worse last night, and I am going to the vet in 2 hours to have him put to sleep.

I want to thank all of you so much for helping me through this and giving me all the advice on how to deal with kidney failure. All of you have said how horrible this disease is, and now I see why.

I am so heartbroken that his warm little body won't be sleeping up against me anymore, that I won't be woken up to him rolling his face all over mine or that I won't get to laugh at all the funny things he does.

But I am comforted my the fact that me Dad is up there waiting for him, and that they will be buddies again, keeping each other company.

Thank you again
Paula
Morning Paula.....My Heart is with you this morning......I pray for peace for you & Your Prince.......Please know that you have done everything right for your guy & he knows it........I wish every dog could have such wonderful owners as you have been......Making this final decision is probably the toughest decision we Pet owners can face......However, it's based on TRUE LOVE that cannot be matched! I will be thinking about you both in the hours & days to come.......Come back and let us know how your doing......I'm glad Prince will be with your father......That makes me smile!

Hugs to you and give Prince a kiss from me.......Sincerely, Karla
My sweet baby boy is gone. He was the sweetest little boy, he loved everyone and everyone loved him. He was sick with one thing or another the entire 8 1/2 years I had him...but not anymore. Now he is in Heaven with my dear Dad, now able to see-now he can run wild and eat anything he wants, without pain and no more sticking a needle in his back everyday, filling him with fluids, just to get his kidneys to work.
I read the other day that a dog is one of three things-a teacher, a healer or a companion. Prince was all three to me. He was also the love of my life. I miss him desperately, I will miss his little soft, warm body pressed up against mine every night and waking up to him rolling his face all over mine. I will miss his little head turning from side to side when I talked to him and I will miss him greeting me after I had been gone...his ears laid back, and his tail wagging so hard, it knocked him off his feet sometime.
But, he went peacefully, in my arms, with me whispering in his ear, "You are Momma's good boy, I love you sooooo much." And I am comforted knowing that he will be able to kick back in that big ol' recliner in the sky, with my Dad again.
I love you Bubba, more than anything. I will miss you forever.
Paula,
It made me so sad to read about Prince. I certainly do understand how very much you are hurting now, and how much you miss him.  Prince was in good hands with you. You did everything you could for him. He was such a lucky dog to spend his life in the company of people who love him so very much.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless Prince's Beautiful Spirit and Soul. He is much loved.
Connie
Karla and Connie,
Thank you so much for the condolences. I am in shock by how much this hurts. It hurts worse than when I lost my Dad. The only relief I get is sleep. Please pray that I have relief soon, because it is unbearable right now.

Paula
My heart aches for and with you Paula.  The loss of our dogs is devastating.
It changes our whole world. I sit here with tears in my eyes, a lump in my throat, and an ache in my heart. I feel your pain, because I have experienced it so many times, most recently with my little TwoBits. She has been gone since September...I still cry all too often, ( like now ) but things have gotten easier for me to accept.
Our live's will never be the same without those we love...we just need to be strong, and know we only did what we did, because we only always wanted what was best for them.
Rest assured, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Connie
Hello Paula. Just like Karla and Connie, your posts brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. This is so very hard. Prince had the most wonderful mum, someone who did all that was possible to give him the best life any dog could have. He was lucky to have you share his experiences, his good and bad days, and everything inbetween. You were so brave to do the right thing when the time came to do it, and I know only too well how tough it must have been to reach that decision and to have done the dreadful deed. It was the right thing to do - at the right time. Not for you, but for Prince. My heart goes out to you. There is no grief so raw and so tough as the grief we have when we lose our best friends. But in time, it does get better, and we can be reassured knowing our loved ones are no longer suffering. Cyberhugs are all I can give you ... Tony x
Thank you Tony, Connie & Karla,
It has been a diffiult week, but has been better the last few days. I picked up his ashes yesterday and for some reason, it brought me comfort.
I do have some regrets, but they are only for me. I know that I did the right thing at the right time for Prince. My vet wrote a note to me, I found it in the bag with Princes ashes, telling me that I did the right thing, and that I always did right by Prince.
I miss him so, and find myself lost, looking for things to do. My whole day revolved around taking care of him. I am also debating how soon to get another baby. Everyone tells me it will help in the healing process, which I do believe. I just don't want to put unfair expectations on a new dog, because Prince was truly the most well behaved dog.

Thank you all for the love and support. It has helped me get through this difficult time.
Hi Paula. Yes, getting ashes sometimes can be cathartic and strangely comforting. It was the same with me with my beautiful lurcher BB. I took a week or so, but ultimately scattered her ashes on the beach near to where we live, as that was her favourite place to go running, which she did often. As for welcoming another best friend into your life ... well, do it when you feel right about it. It will never be Prince, or a replacement for Prince, and the truth is all dogs are so different, each with their own personalities, quirks and emotional make-up. Whenever you decide the time is right, the new dog you get will sure be a lucky boy or girl, because they will have the best life any dog could have.

My BB passed away last November and I am only now feeling the time is right to welcome another rescue into our home - not just for us but for our remaining 7 yr old dog Giro, who misses having another canine to interact with.

I hope as the days become weeks, you start to feel better, and hopefully will be able to smile about Prince's wonderful life without tears coming to your eyes. Grief is different for everyone, but it always takes its own time to work through. Best wishes, Tony
Hi Paula...
It really sounds like you have a wonderful Vet. I don't think there are many Vets out there, who would have taken the time to write you a note. You better hang on to that Vet....!  It sounds like you will be needing him in the very near future... ;-)

I just wanted to touch base with you, and see how you are holding up.
I know how difficult the days can be, when you are missing Prince so very much. If you need to "chat" please don't hesitate to express yourself here, or feel free to message me.  I will reply when I can.

Take Care....
Connie
Hi everyone,
I am doing better. I haven't really cried the past few days, but I am not really thinking about missing him, so that helps. The only time I get really sad is when I go to bed at night. I hate getting in that bed without him.
I had a bunch of collage photos made of him and have set them around the house, and post a new one everyday on facebook. I a finding that it helps to talk about and share my memories of him with others.
I have volunteered at the shelter I got him from, I will go one day next week. I would like to hold off on getting another dog, so I can take a vacation of some kind, but I definately think I will end up adopting sooner rather than later. My Mom is really depressed again, and I think having a dog in the house helped her grieve over losing my Dad.
Just wanted to let you know how I am doing. I very much enjoy sharing with you guys, so I will absolutely stay in touch!

Paula
My dog was diagnosed three years with chronic renal failure.  After starting him on SQ fluids for a couple of weeks, I took him off the subq fluids and began giving him pedialye instead.  I feed it to him with a bottle, to make sure he gets the amount he needs each day.

He has been doing great ever since, with just the pedialyte and no commercial or vet food products.  He runs around, plays, is very active.  
He also gained weight in a healthy way from his good diet.  He is doing great.

To my knowledge and from three years of experience, Pedialyte is absolutely safe for your puppy dog.

My dog was diagnosed with kidney failure as well as regenerative anemia only yesterday. My vet recommended that I give her pedialite; she is drinking water (excessively), but he said that it will help to keep her hydrated longer. I hope that my post isn't coming too late, and that Prince is doing well. Based on what my vet said, pedialite is a good option; and they sell in in various flavors so you can choose whatever Prince likes most :-)

Best,

Meredith
I'm so sorry...I didn't read all of the comments before my last post. I'm so sorry that Prince's time came back in July....my baby girl is 15, and I've had her since she was a puppy. The vet has given me the treatment options, and also talked about the possibility of putting her down. I understand how you feel....my grandfather passed away last year, and I live alone with my girl. She's everything to me. I'm so sorry that this was a decision you had to make, and I don't know how I'll be able to do it if/when the time comes. But I'll tell my Zoe when it is her time to go romp around with Prince so he is not lonely.

Best regards,

Meredith
I never thought I would write on this post . My Sophie was diagnosed last June with renal kidney failure. She acts like her normal self but has lost so much weight. She does shiver from time to time  thought. I have been giving her a herbal medicine called kidney support gold. She is also on meds from the vet. She is 10 and still plays and runs but she is fur with bones only . I know her time is coming when she must leave me but I am having such a difficult time with this knowledge. I wish I knew what her time was but no one will say anything. I read where one dog had 3 years. I pray I will have more time. No one understands the relationship we have. She is my everything. I love her with my whole being. I have had many dogs but Sophie is just every thing !! This pain is so hard to live with and I'm not sure my heart can take her passing! She is my best friend she there for me no matter what. Oh some one please help my heart !!! Thanx for listening to me    
Hello. Most people on this forum understand and wholly appreciate the extraordinary bond that is created between a dog and its owner. In my opinion, there is no better friendship than the one that exists between human and canine. I was very sorry to read your post about Sophie and I empathize with your situation. I am assuming your best friend has had bloods taken and, if so, your vet should be able to give you an indication of how far the kidney disease has gone, for example, he should be able to tell you what percentage of the kidney(s) are still functioning - and this in turn will give an indication of the time Sophie may yet have to enjoy time with you. Everything may seem a bit vague, but that's just the nature of this dreadful disease.

I am also assuming Sophie is still eating and drinking okay. It may be useful to put her on some nourishing kidney-disease specific foods. Ask your vet for his/her advice, but also look through the forum as there's lots of info about kidney disease on here - though some of it is quite harrowing to read, it is worth it for the knowledge and tips you will find.

Once a dog is in Stage 4, it is usually too late to do very much, other than assist with anti-nausea meds and IV fluids to help your dog stay hydrated and able to eat. Sadly, as you probably know, there is (currently) no cure for kidney disease ... but we can help our best friends become more comfortable in their last months, weeks and days.

Try not to think about losing her just now, just enjoy each day as it comes. There is always heartache when we lose a dog from our lives, and sometimes the grieving is harder and more difficult than when we lose a human from our lives. This is not hard for me to understand, since a dog often shares it's entire life with us - and in turn, we share more of our life with them, going walks, cuddling up and being together every day. Dogs are truly our greatest and most loyal companions, we love them with all our hearts, but sadly, none live as long as we would like.

Sophie has been one lucky dog to have shared the last decade with you - and of course, you are lucky to have had such a wonderful dog in your life too. You are both in my thoughts. Tony x
My Shih-Tzu had a urinary tract infection for which she was put on an antibiotic.  Her urine contained blood and her vet diagnosed her with bladder stones and suggested surgery after she completed her course of antibiotics.  On a day when my vet was closed (Sunday) my dog had difficulty urinating and was passing just a little blood tinged urine.  Not only did she refuse to eat but she would not even walk when I took her outside. I went out and bought Pedialyte and administered it to her using a pet feeding syringe.  Within a few hours my dog passed about three quarts of urine on her poop pad and lo and behold she also passed two bladder stones.  Now she I passing urine (without blood) normally and is eating and is her usual cheerful self.  I will be taking her to the vet within a few days and in the meantime I am watching her urine very carefully to see if she passes any more stones.  I had never heard of using Pedialyte in dogs until I went to the Internet but now I will always keep it on hand.
My husband & I just found out our 18 month old German Shepherd, Max was diagnosed with having kidney failure and we are in shock and so very upset.  The blood work came back showing that the kidneys aren't able to filter the protein.  We have an appointment with a specialist on Tuesday for an ultra sound of his kidney and see where we go from there!  I love reading this forum, it is not only very informative, but everyone is genuinely loving and supportive and that is just wonderful!  Let you know how Max makes out on Tuesday.
Hi. Max is very young to be suffering from this dreadful disease. I'm hoping there is some good news today from your vet. If this has been caught early, there's every chance something can be done so he can enjoy a few years yet. The management of kidney failure can be quite intensive early on, but maintenance involves administering the right foods and treats and keeping a close eye on his blood levels. There's so much information on here about managing kidney failure, I won't repeat it, but just search and scan - or ask questions and I or others will certainly attempt to answer them for you. As Max is so young. I am wondering if this is a genetic or anatomical problem, but no doubt your vet will be able to advise you better about this - and how best to proceed. They should also be able to tell you how far the disease has progressed and the best medications and foods to use. Tony x
Hello Tony,
We just got the results and they are not good.  Both of Max's kidney's are in failure.  The ultrasound shows that his kidneys are to small for his size and this is due to a genetic factor.  We are so upset that our baby is so sick and his time is limited.  We will start him on the special diet of Royal Canin Renal LP, continue to search the web for more info and make him as comfortable as we can.  We thank God for the time we will have with him and cherish every moment.  I will keep you updated either way.
Mel