Dogs Community
Where Do You Get Info on Behaviors for mixed breed dogs?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

6982517?1307916732
You see, I have a 'Chiweenie" or Chihuahua and dachshund.  I haven't had a dog since I was an adult.  When I got a cat as a grown up I books to learn how to properly take care of our cat.  I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right books for my dog RikiTiki because he a mix.  And he does bear the features of both.  He is VERY hyper yet doesn't bark much.  I just want to do right by him.  He is being VERY hard to house break and he is a year old but I blame that on the people we got him from (the didn't know how to handle any kid of dog let along a very a clingy love bug like my RikiTiki).  

I just want to understand how he thinks and how I can speak to him on his level the way I learned with my cat.  But as of yet I've not found any general books.  They are all split into breeds.  He definitely looks more like Chihuahua but his back is a bit longer than the average Chihuahua and his feet are all weenie dog.    So some suggestions would be really cool =)

I'd be over the moon if someone could point me in the right direction =)
go on the net and search hybrid dog mixes and it will come up
Sounds like you have you hands full. LOL!!!  Well, you can go to the AKC site (akc.org) and look up each breed and find a lot of information there that may apply to this little mix.  You can also visit the Nat'l parent clubs for each breed. Do a google search for Nat'l Chihuahua club, Nat'l Dachshund Club).  
Aside from that, The training for most dogs, no matter the breed, is basically going to be the same.  Structure, Schedules, Consistency, Patience!  Also, you can look up (or bet a book on) NILF (nothing in life is free) for training tips.  
You don't want to give him run of the house.  Crate train, if possible.  Take him out *often* to the area you want him to do his business in and praise him when he does. Often, people with little dogs have a habit of picking the dog up and carrying it to the are they want the dog to use. Don't do this.  If possible, put the dog on a leash and *lead* him to the area you want him to use.  If he has an accident in the house, too late to correct.  If you see him going, give him a firm *NO!!* and lead him out to his area (whether he has already gone or not).  
Good time to start some basic obedience training with rewards.  Start with *Sit* and reward.  Then try *Down* and reward.  Only train one command at a time.  You can find some books on Basic Dog Obedience or look on the Internet. Keep training sessions short a few times a day so he doesn't get bored.  
You have to be patient and consistent. Do not move on to a new command until he has mastered the one you are working on.  When training, use something small for treats or even pieces of carrot, etc, if he will eat them so he doesn't put on weight.
Little dogs can be very hard to house train sometimes and some of those boys just love to *mark* everywhere.  Is he neutered, I hope?  
If he is hyper, try to put aside a couple of times a day to play with him with toys or a ball, etc.  Take him for a couple of good walks a day, if you can.
You don't want to speak to  him on *his* level.  You need to be the pack leader and he needs to learn your rules.  :-)  
Hope this helps some.
Patience and *consistency* and try to follow daily schedules and routines.