Dogs Community
need help & ideas to cope

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

need help & ideas to cope

My 10 year old golden mix was diagnosed with cushings a few months ago.  She has been on trilostane - started at 30mg, then 60 and now 90 (for the last 2 weeks).  Her stim results have gone from 32 to 20something to 11.  Unfortunately, for her symptoms, we seem to take one step forward and 2 back.  She is no longer having horrible diarrhea from the increased water consumption but she is still drinking as much or more than she was to start - and peeing even more...I'm up most nights 2 or three times walking her.  I get up in the morning to clean up the floods (have gone through more newspaper, puppy pads, towels and bags than I can even imagine) I come home in the afternoon to clean up more floods.  At first she was doing really good about going (mostly) on the papers but now she seems to be losing control/motivation.  A couple of times she has either fallen in or rolled in her pee.  The last day or so, I've noticed her start licking her puddles. I've also noticed that she does not want to eat her normal kibble but will eat it if it's watered down and soggy.  She needs to stop and rest several times  when we go for walks (not long walks - just around the block).  Her stomach seems extended but I'm not sure.

BTW - my dog is extremely vet - phobic.  I do have a wonderful vet who is patient and loving with her but it is very hard to get a really good physical exam.

Help - a couple of times, I have even caught myself thinking of "putting her down" which is SO NOT in my normal way of thinking. I need help in coping myself and ways to give her a more normal life.

Thanks for any help!!

teri
I know how you feel, but unfortunately don't have any good advice.  We went through it two years ago, and its very stressful.  I would recommend trying not to let your dog see you upset, it only makes them more so.  I'm surprised she hasn't slowed down  on the peeing, that was one thing good our dog did, but, she stopped eating altogether, which was worse.  I don't think shes rolling in her pee, shes probably peeing in her sleep.  Its sad because ours was so perfectly housebroken, and you know they would never pee on the floor if they had a choice.  Does she sleep all day, or is she still alert and interested in things?  The fact that she still can take walks and wants to eat is a good thing, ours couldn't and wouldn't.  I wish you luck, hopefully someone on this site will give you some good advice.
Hi Teri. I wish I had some good advice for you, but I have no experience of Cushings other than through what others have said on the forum. I read your opening message and almost burst into tears. I feel so sad for you and your 10yr old best friend. It must be extraordinarily stressful and heartbreaking. I hope someone can offer some tips so you can work through this a little easier and/or a little better for your dog. My heart and admiration goes out to you for coping so far. Tony
I'm unfortunately not familiar with living with a Cushing's dog, but I know how hard a thing like this is.
My girl went through a bad patch from September through to late November. She started drinking LOTS more than usual. The vet found she had early stage kidney failure. Of course, her kidneys were actually producing more urine, and so that in turn made her thirsty. So I do totally know what it's like....wet sheet in the morning...doggy diapers that won't hold a flood....sanitary towels inside the diapers that couldn't cope with it either....setting the alarm twice in the night to go walking in the dark, in the rain, in the cold wind......full laundry most mornings!
I invested in two incontinence sheets. Wow! what a difference! I put a blue tarpaulin on the floor. So much easier. So all I'd have to wash in the morning would be her sheet, then just wipe the incontinence sheet over, and wipe up any puddles on the tarpaulin. (weird, but it actally looked quite good on my floor! LOL! and saved me a lot of vacuuming!)

Mine is much better now. Her kidney values have come down to normal. No more "accidents" (fingers crossed for the future)
But believe me I do understand how hard this is.
Thanks for all the good thoughts...
update:  after posting this morning, I ended up taking Riley back to the vet.  Turns out that she has both cushings and diabetes.  Started her on insulin twice a day...
Really having Lots of questions and doubts now.  What kind of quality of life is she going to have? I'm stressing out so much over the financial aspect as well as coping with the lack of sleep and constant cleaning, etc, can I really give her all the care she needs? Could I even live with myself if I took the "easy way out"??  Would it be better for her? Can't believe I'm even thinking along those lines :(
The only additional thing I can say is to just take it day by day with your dog, and enjoy the  time left.  .  Take her for rides, if possible,  and give her lots of love, and if and when you do have to make a decision, you will know you've done everything you could.
Hi Teri. I know exactly how agonising these thoughts are. I have been through it several times with several dogs over many years. I think Lindapalm is absolutely right, take it day by day and try not to add even more stress to what must be a very difficult situation. And while as owners we may dilliberate and anguish over making the ultimate decision, our dogs have their own way of telling us when the time is right - which means in many ways, the decision is taken out of our hands as we are urged to do what is right at the right time. I have always found that my dogs have told me by a certain look - a stare that says, I've had enough. So, for now, just keep doing what you are doing and try to get others to help when you can, even if its only to doggy sit for a few hours, so you get a well deserved break. While your dog is reasonably happy and contented and painfree, you should try to put any big decisions out of your mind and just enjoy this time together. Tony
I am sorry to hear about your dog.
You are doing the best you can for her, and I understand how difficult it must be for you. Taking care of these conditions in your dog, will require a lot of effort. You are not alone though...
There are support groups on the internet that are strictly comprised of people who have dogs with this condition.
I would suggest that you do a search for these groups...
I have one here, that can get you started.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCushings-AutoimmuneCare/

I wish I could be of more help, I am sorry I don't have much first hand knowledge about this disease, but I can and will offer you my moral support.
Connie