Dogs Community
over the counter pain meds?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

over the counter pain meds?

I have a 7 year old sheltie. In 2006 he had to have knee surgery for torn ligaments. Now I am noticing that occasionally he has alittle trouble standing up. And when he starts to walk, he limps. At his last checkup in May my Vet told me that it was arthritis in his knees. Is there anything I can give him to help with the pain and stiffness? The Vet offered a perscription, but I would like to try something over the counter first. Can I give him aspirin or would it hurt me? Any advise would be appreciated.
Firstly you could start him on Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement. It really does help. You hear that the dog has to have taken it for a few weeks for there to be any noticeable change, but I have found it can take effect quicker than that.
To give you an idea of dosage, my dog weighs 28lbs and I give her 500mg Glucosamine, and 200mg Chondroitin daily. If his weight is twice hers, or approximately, you can give double that dose.

I'd be wary of giving your dog aspirin, and certainly NEVER Ibuprofen (Advil, or anything like that) If he needs a painkiller, get one prescribed. Later you may be able to get this same drug online at a cheaper price.
Thank you so much for the info. My dog weighs 29lbs. I will start him on the Glucosamine and Chondroitin and hopefully it will help him.Once again, thanks for the info.
Dogs can tolerate aspirin well, but I'd give him the low-dose aspirin or children's aspirin, 82mg vs 325mg of the full-strength.  Also, get aspirin that is enteric coated, this will make it easier on the dog's stomach.  There is a special aspirin called Ascriptin that is coated with Maalox.  I don't know if it comes in the low-dose variety or not, but this would be ideal if it does.  If not, just look for low-dose, enteric coated aspirin.

My dog just went through a spell with a pulled somethingorother in her elbow, and I gave it to her, and it REALLY helped her.  She's a collie, weighing about 50 or 55 pounds, and I gave her one tablet every other day for a week, which came out to 4 tablets total, and it worked wonders for her.

Of course, to be on the safe side, before giving your dog anything, please call your vet and run your plan of action by him or her first and make sure he or she agrees that this would be the correct thing to do for your particular pet.  

Ghilly
Enteric Coated aspirin is NOT good for dogs.  It is not digested and can build up in their system causing toxicity.