Dogs Community
please save my beagle!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

please save my beagle!

I have a 3 year old female beagle. She went hunting about 4 weeks ago, and has not been the same since. She lost weight very rapidly and has not been eating. When I do get food in her system, she just pukes it up. I recently took her to the vet to get blood work and x- rays done; however, they both showed no signs of abnormality.

Now she just lays in bed with no energy to play. Everything else has been normal. If anyone has any idea of what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I would suggest that if bloods and x-rays are normal, then she has probably eaten something toxic or something that is causing a blockage in her guts. Not all such blockages will show up on an x-ray. You need your vet to continue exploring the alternative possibilities. Not eating for a day or two is fine and may actually help clear the stomach of anything that is causing nausia, but beyond that, you need to make sure she eats something nutritional like chicken or green tripe and white rice. Changing her usual food for the above may encourage her to start eating again. Dogs quickly associate regular foods with feeling nausious and may stop eating it in fear of getting ill again. Tony
Hello & welcome....What were the x-rays taken of? Did they look for blockage at that time? Do you have a copy of the blood work? Are you sure everything was normal?

Does she vomit every time she eats? What are you trying to feed her?

My first thought is she has something lodged in her teeth or throat from the hunting adventure....And can't eat! Has that been ruled out?

I agree with Tony.....Try cooking up something SOFT like Chicken & rice and see if she will eat that & keep it down......

Let us know.......Karla

P.S. Is your Vet not willing to continue the pursuit of getting to the bottom of this? If so, you need a Second opinion.....  

When you said she went hunting, where did she go, and what did she hunt? Also what was she fed, if anything while she was out on the hunt?
the vet had suggested that it could be her kidneys that aren't functioning well. And that if it isn't than there isn't much to do. We've been to two different vets and they both said the same thing.  We've tried feeding her exactly what your suggesting but she cant keep anything in. She drinks normally, poops normally, her gums are nice and red.
She went rabbit hunting and it was really cold out that day when she came home she just stayed in bed all day and thats when everything started. although, a couple of weeks before hunting she did puke several times after drinking really fast.
Wait a minute.....The Vet said that it COULD be her Kidneys, but stated that her blood work was normal? That doesn't make sense! Her Kidney malfunction would have showed up on the blood test!

What were the x rays taken of? What part of her body? Maybe others will come by to give some suggestions......You need a third opinion....Of course, there IS something they can do; I don't see that either of these Vets have any interest in figuring out what's wrong with your dog.........Somethings not right here!  Please, let us know what happens......Karla

Again, have they checked her throat or intestines for blockage?
It definitely sounds to me like there is a blockage here somewhere, or perhaps even an intussusception.  Neither of these vets sounds like they're worth the powder it would take to blow them to H-e-doublehockeysticks so I would be looking for another vet who was willing to at least TRY to help my dog.

I COMPLETELY agree with Karla!  Both vets say it's her kidneys but her bloodwork came back FINE?????  That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!  If her kidneys were so bad that she was losing weight this quickly and couldn't keep food down then her bloodwork would be messed up beyond words!  Something is DEFINITELY not right here!

Ghilly
Take her to a completely different vet. It does make no sense, what this vet has told you.
While it is a relief that nothing bad is showing up in her bloodwork.... I wouldn't take that on face value either. If the vet can suggest kidney failure when there is nothing in the bloodwork to make him suspect that -then he could even get the bloodwork wrong!

If bloodwork was normal then there's nothing of concern with the kidneys, so you should ask the vets (both of them) why they suggested it could be the kidneys. Like Ghilly, Karla and Ginger, I agree the response you have received so far doesn't make any sense at all. In addition, 3 years old is very young to have kidney trouble (it does happen, but quite uncommon). This definitely needs further investigating. Tony
If it is your dogs kidneys that are not working properly, it would have shown increases in your dogs lab work. Even in early stages of kidney disease, the lab work would have shown some slight increases. If neither of these vets, can give you a definite diagnosis of your dog, then you need to see another vet.
Contact both vets, ask them if they did a kidney panel on your dog when they did the bloodwork.  It is possible that they only did a blood count to rule out infections. If your vets only did a blood count, and did not do a kidney and liver panel, then you will need to get that bloodwork done as soon as possible.  Also, tell them you are going to need copies of all the lab work , and x-rays that have been done on your dog thus far. You will want these, in case you need to see another vet.
I hope you find the problem soon.
Let us know how things go....
Connie
thank you so much for your help. Bella died last night at 2 am in her sleep :( I really appreciate everything you guys suggested. thanks again <3  
Rest In Peace "Bella"......I'm so sorry for your loss........Karla
I am so sorry to hear about Bella.
You did the best you could for her.
She was a lucky dog to live her life in the company of people who love her.
God Bless Bella's Beautiful Spirit and Soul....she is much loved.
Please Accept my heartfelt sympathy.
Connie
I am so very sorry to hear about Bella. She may have passed all too young, but clearly she was loved and was lucky to have you in her life. My sympathies to you and your family. Tony
O...M...G... I am SO very sorry to hear this!!!  

Rest in Peace little Bella.   May all of your memories of her be sweet.

Ghilly
I am just reading this thread. So sorry about your dog.
Hugs
Thank you so much everyone <3