Dogs Community
removal of groin lymph node

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

removal of groin lymph node

My 6 year old lab mix had two mast cell tumors removed a month ago.  one was on her left hind leg (about the size of a dime) and the other was on her rear only about the size of the top of a pencil.  they came back as stage two cancer cells.  she recovered nicely and is a spitting image of health...or so we thought.  took her in the other day and they found a lump about the size of an egg in her groin lymph node (they think it was the lymph node that drained the tumor on her leg).  she seems completely normal (eating great...running, playing, ect) up to this point.  we do not plan to do chemo, but wondering if it is worth removing the lymph node.  what do you typically see in these cases?  I do not want to put her through a lot of pain and recovery if it's not worth it.  the vet just gave it as an option...but didn't really lean one way or the other??

Jodi
Ah, that's too bad and sorry you are dealing with this. Was it a low or high Grade 2?  Usually radiation or chemo is given with pretty good results.  Did your Vet happen to mention if they got clean margins when they did the surgery? You need to speak to your Vet about this.  Have you checked to see if there are any  other lumps/nodes?  Did you check under the jaw, near the ears, sides of neck, under front legs, in the groin area?  If it were me, and I would definitely discuss this with my Vet, I would probably have it at least checked to see if the cancer has spread.  It *could* be swollen for some other reason then the cancer. It is so hard to give advice on these issues. Some dogs don't do well and we have what I am calling an Energizer Bunny across the street from us. Dog is almost 15 years old, had major cancer surgery on her side then had it appear on a foot, had more surgery and the Vet actually did a skin graft.  That all healed and she was doing pretty darn well then had two ACL's!!!!  Well, without surgery, I'll be darned if she isn't up and walking, slowly, but walking.  Amazing, really.  So, who's to tell????  
I wish you luck but I would have a discussion with my Vet as to your next plan of action and possible prognosis.
Good luck.
I don't suppose it's possible to do a biopsy of that lymph node is it? To check IF any cancer cells are present? If not, it will probably indicate some localized inflammation probably unrelated.
I have also heard that radiotherapy has some good results, and steroids can help with mast cell tumors.
ginger, they should be able to biopsy that lymph node. Yes, steroids can help too.  That's why I was asking if they feel swelling in any other areas.  Hopefully, it's just the one area.