hyoid bone problems
History of my problem: For as long as I can remember, I have had a problem with my hyoid bone popping out and causing excrutiating pain. It is always the same - the right side of my neck. At about the age of 8 I talked to my pediatrician about it and he promptly told me it was not possible. That I was having anything "pop out" in my neck. He contended that there wasn't anything there that could pop out. So I just continued to push it back into place whenever it popped out. Back then, it was very easy to push back and only lasted a few seconds until I got it back. About 3 years ago, I noticed that this was happening more and more frequently (used to be about 2-3 times per year) Now it was happening about every month and was much harder to push back. Sometimes taking 20 or more minutes. During that time, it was extremely painful to swallow or talk. After I would finally get it pushed back into place, the pain would go away, but my whole neck would be sore up to my ear and through my jaw. It felt bruised, but no visible bruising on the outside. Over the next couple of years, this problem continued to get worse, happening weekly with some minor "slippage" on a daily basis.  Throughout my life, I have talked to various family practice doctors about this problem. They all contended that it must just be a "lump in my throad" like when you get emotional. Or maybe it's just excess head conjestion. Or maybe it's just a muscle spasm. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. Whatever the case, no one had ever heard of anything like it and no one ever took me seriously. So, I started researching on my own. I could not find anything that sounded like what I had. I posted questions to "Ask and Expert" all over the web. I did get some respones. all of which started with "wow, that is interesting. Never heard of anything like that before." One physician directed me to find a good ENT. So, I did. He took me seriously. He ran tests - CT scans, swallowing x-rays, blood work, etc. I saw a speech pathologist and everything. The swallowing x-rays showed that my hyoid bone did not more in unison. It appeared that the hyoid, which I'm told forms in the womb from 3 point of origin and then fuses into a solid bone before birth, had never fused into the solid bone at all. The ENT that ran the tests did not feel qualified to handle this case, so he referred me to a colleague who does a lot of throat cancer surgery and work around the hyoid bone. He reviewed the tests and theorized that if we removed the portion of the hyoid that was not firmly attached to the rest of the bone, it should solve the problem. I ran this thought process past the head of Otolaryngology at the Mayo Clinic, who had also never heard of such a problem, and he concurred that this theory did make sense. However, there were no guarantees due to the fact that no one had ever seen or heard of anything like it before. So, I went ahead with the surgery on 10/26/06. It seemed to go well. For 3 months, I had no problems. Then on 1/23/07, it popped again, just like it had always done. I immediately went back to the surgeon who is completely at a loss of what to do. His only recommendation is to do more surgery and remove more of the hyoid bone. However, the more they take out the greater the risk of swallowing issues post-surgery. I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for that again just yet. Since the 1/23 incident, it has happened 3 more times with the last time being only 2 weeks from the previous episode. I'm worried that this is going to continue to get worse again. If it were only going to happen a couple of times a year, I would just deal with it like I have my whole life. But if it gets back to being almost every day, I can't imagine having to continue to deal with that for the rest of my life. As long as the bone is in place, I have no problems. No swallowing problems, no pain, nothing. I just never know when it's going to pop. I do a lot of public speaking and presentations. My greatest fear is that it will happen in front of an audience. The pain is so sudden and intense that I immediatley burst into tears. This is the main reason I have been pursuing this issues to begin with. Any suggestions? I saw in your archives that a person with the nick name of "creyn" described a similar condition back on 11/22/2004 on this web site. Did anyone ever help her? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi shell,

I am having the same problem you have described in your post.  I am scheduled to go and see my ENT on Monday.  I've had mine "go out" on several occasions, always being able to move it back into place, but Monday evening I could not get it back into place, and the pain was unreal, I couldn't swallow, and was having a hard time swallowing.  My husband ran into the bathroom and got a hot wash cloth and placed it on my neck to try and relax the muscles, which seemed to help, but I can still feel that something is not right in there.  When I couldn't get it back in, it seemed to get worse, the more I paniced, and it felt like something was tilting backwards and trying to puncture a hole into my throat.  I haven't been able to get a full yawn since then, some due to it hurting, and some probably due to fear of it getting stuck again.  At one point, I had gone to a doctor for stomach problems, and he told me I had a borderline Peptic Ulcer, and put me on Prilosec, which really worked well, and helped control the acid reflux.  I was doing some research on this Hyoid Bone, and when you have problems with the acid reflux, it can cause a lot of problems in your throat, which I'm sure you are familar with, and the acid reflux can actually cause tumors in the throat, and they can become cancerous.  I try not to take a lot of the information to heart until I get the facts, but I can't help but notice many of the symptoms they list for this cancer and tumors I have or have had.  At one point, I could hardly swallow anything, except liquids, and everyone told me it was basically "in my head", and that nothing was really caught in my throat.  It feels like, right now, there is "something" on the left side of my throat, right around that Hyoid Bone.
I've been noticing over the last 4-6 mos., that the "popping-out" has gotten worse, and wants to pop out even when I swallow.  Honestly, it was kind of good to see your post, not that your are suffering with this because I DO know how painful and scary it can get, but to know that I'm not nuts, and that someone else out there knows what I'm talking about.  I would love to talk with you more about your experience, if you wouldn't mind, and maybe we can keep in touch and lend one another some support because I DO know what we are going through is NOT in our heads because it hurts too much.
My voice is hoarse today, and my throat hurts more today than the last couple of days.  I do notice it does get more aggrivated when I sing or talk a lot, but I can actually "feel" something in there, and it doesn't feel like it's a good thing.
Now, I do realize it could be many things, and I'm really hoping my ENT takes me seriously, and can figure out what's going on because I need to have a couple of really good yawns...lol...know what I mean?  I sympathize with you, and hope we can talk more about what we are going through.  Sorry I couldn't lend any "answers" to what you are experiecing, wish I could, but I do know what you are going through is very real, and very painful, and we just want someone to tell us how to fix it, right?  Have a good evening.
I can't believe I found these posts.  I have been dealing with the same thing for the past 7 months.  It all started when I got a really bad cough in November...and I mean a REALLY BAD cough.  I coughed for 5 weeks (nothing really helped) and I felt like I dislocated something in my throat.  Every single time I turn my head to the left and then turn it back, I have to pop the upper portion of my throat back into place.  It feels like something inside is rubbing agains something and is causing me pain and other weird sensations on the left side of my throat, back of my mouth, and the left side of my tongue.  The only time I get relief from this is when I sleep.  Some days I don't think I can live like this.  I am on my third ENT doctor.  The first one really never followed up on anything and took forever between visits.  The second one said to me "I don't know what it is and I don't have any time to find out."  Do you believe that!!!  Coming from a doctor!!!  Anyway, I just got a new ENT and I hope that he can help.  When you tell them about it, they just look at you like you are making it up, like it is all in your head.  Well, I go back next week, and I am going to make my throat pop right in front of him.  If I get any information that may help, I will post it.  I have a feeling this is an extremely RARE condition, I wish none of us had to deal with this, but I am glad there is a place to post and give each other support and encouragement.
I was so glad to get your response here. The only other person I've ever met that had the same problem is my brother. I've been told recently, that it may be genetic beause all these doctors claim to have never seen or heard of anything like it before, but both of us have had this problem our whole lives. The funny thing was that we each didn't know the other had it until about 5 years ago. My brother is 6 years younger than me and I guess we just never talked about it.

By now, I assume you've seen your ENT. How did that go? I'm very interested to hear what he/she said. I had to laugh when I read your response and even called my husband in to see, when you said your husband ran to the bathroom and got you a hot wash cloth. That was AMAZING because one of the first times that I couldn't get mine to go back, my husband did the very same thing! He has always told me that it was just a muscle spasm, but like you said, you can feel something in there. Mine feels sort of like the end of a chicken leg bone. You know how it's sort of round and hard.

I just can't tell you how excited I am to talk to you. Did you read in my original post that I did have surgery for this problem? The theory was that the hyoid bone never fused together into a solid bone and a cough or sneeze or yawn or laugh or any sudden pressure in my throad caused a part that was not attached to the rest of the bone to "pop" out. My doctor was just amazed at my x-rays showing that my hyoid did not move in unison. In fact, the radiologist that was doing the x-rays started saying, "oh my God!" "I've never seen anything like that before." "That is so strange." Then he came out into the room to talk to me. I gotta tell you, when I heard him start saying that stuff, it sort of scared me. He of course was completely thrilled to see something new and unusual.

I have a friend that works at the may clinic and she ran my symptoms past the head of Otolaryngology there. He had never seen anything like it before either, but thought the theory sounded possible and thought the surgery might just work. I thought it had worked when I didnt' have any symptoms for 3 months, but then it started happening again. It's been 3 weeks now since the last time. Every time I laugh, sneeze, cough or yawn, I do so with caution. I'm sure you completely understand that.

Anyway, please write back and let me know what your ENT said. I can't wait to hear. Take care!

Shell K
I have it to. Im 19 yrs old. Im in so much pain. It happens like twice a year with me to and it happened tonight and it wont go back in its been 3 hours!!!
I'm so sorry to hear that you've started having this problem too. Anyone that has never experienced it can not possibly understand how much it hurts! I've been grateful to have my brother to talk to about it. Just having someone understand helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Shell K
I will definitely keep you posted.  I am going back to my ENT this afternoon.  I will be let you know if I find out anything helpful!
I went to the ENT and I when I turned my head to the left to show him how this bone pops out "EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn my head to the left", he said "do that again, and this time let me put it back in place", so I did and he pushed the bone back in place and then felt around in that area of my neck.  He said that it WAS my hyoid bone.  He hypothesized that I must have injured (hyperextended) the muscles that hold it in place (when I had my 5 week cough last November), like overstretching an elastic, so that now the muscles can't hold it in place anymore.  I asked him what could be done, because my hyoid bone moves CONSTANTLY and causes so much pain in my neck, mouth, and throat due to its rubbing on tendons an nerves in my neck whenever I move or swallow or talk.  Even sleeping is extremely difficult now.  He said that maybe they could suture it in place or something, but he said that it might cause swallowing difficulties.  But he said he wants to send me to Boston to another specialist for further evaluation.  I know that this info may not be too helpful right now, but at least this is the first doctor out of 4 to even BELIEVE me and to follow through with trying to find a way to help.  Keep me posted, I'll keep you posted.
I just arrived here via Google. The back ends of my hyoid and the whole surrounding area, from rock-hard swollen lymph nodes through to the scars where my tonsils were removed at age six, have been sore forever. Not suddenly and dramatically like you describe, just a constant aching that varies as I move my head.

For me there is no "back in place". I can put my hand to my throat and grab my hyoid between thumb and forefinger at any time, and feel both back ends right under the skin. They are just about exactly as wide as the vertebrae behind them, and they seem to bump up and down along the muscles surrounding the spine as I swallow. Without pulling forward, I can twist the hyoid from side to side, causing one end or the other to protrude from the side of my neck far enough to get a fingertip behind the protruding end. Each end itself seems sore, but it doesn't appear to be attached to anything on the spine behind it, or restricted in movement. I can twist either end up or down by over an inch.

You seem to be saying that your hyoids have a specific normal position, and that any other position causes severe pain. I can't find any mention of any structures that would enforce such a position. At

they show the hyoid and all its connections. From each free back end "greater cornu" there are the hyoglossus muscles running up to the sides of the tongue, the constrictor pharyngis medius muscles that wrap around and meet at the back of the throat, and the thyrohyoid ligament running downward to the thyroid cartilage, but nothing that would anchor the cornu or any other part of the throat to a specific location. Most of this is shown in detail at

(The constrictor pharyngis medius has been removed; it would wrap around the right side of what is shown, from the wedge between the stylohyoideus and the great cornu.)

I've never asked anyone else about their hyoid...  Maybe mine is unusually flexible. But it looks to me like the whole throat is just hanging there along the front of the spine, suspended from the jaw and skull. Could you previous posters be unusual in having become accustomed to keeping your hyoid in some particular relationship to some other muscle or structure? What would it be? Can you describe the experience of having your hyoid "out" in more detail?

Loren
Oops...  They stripped out my links to the anatomy illustrations! I don't see any help items about how to include links.

Maybe I can disguise them?

The first one was

education.yahoo.com reference gray subjects subject 45

You can add the http prefix, and the slashes in place of spaces, or Google that phrase and edit the first result to end with "45".

For the second one, Google

FIG. 1019– Extrinsic muscles of the tongue. Left side

and it should be the first hit.

Hope this works,

Loren
Your situation sounds interesting. From all the research I've done and ENTs that I've seen, the hyoid bone is NOT connected to any other bone. It is the only floating bone in the body. The only thing the bone is attached to are the muscles and tendons that you mentined. That is why physicians find it so hard to believe that it "pops" out. Theoretically, there is nothing it can pop out from. I've been told that for a bone to dislocate, it must first be located, meaning attached to another bone.

GGCB's note above is interesting too in the theory of the muscles being stretched. I did have a physician once tell me that the right side of my neck muscles must be weaker than the left and that when the left side was flexed, they actually pushed the hyoid right through the other side. That made sense, but has never been confirmed by an ENT.

My hyoid bone is in fragments, according to some swallowing x-rays. It does not move in unison. The radiologist nor the ENT had ever seen anything like it before. That's why I had surgery to remove the fragment on the right side - to be exact, they removed the right lateral aspect of the bone. It seemed to work for 3 months. But then it all started happening again. Now the question is, now what? That's something no one seems to have the answer to.

It's amazing to me that no doctors have ever seen or heard anything about any of this, but apparently, I'm not really the only person in the world to ever have this problem.
Ouch! I can't imagine having my hyoid in pieces.

My suspicion is that the hyoid is part of a complex feedback system that is involved with one's sense of "personal space", along with the obvious functions of breathing and swallowing. Or at least mine is...  

The pressure of the ends of the "greater cornu" against the muscles of my neck depends on how my head is turned, raised, or lowered. I think my subconscious looks at those sensations to help decide what the visual (and emotional) perspective in my view of the world around me should be.

Of course my jaw can modify those sensations, too, and I often find myself tensing my jaw or holding it in odd positions to adjust how my hyoid feels. Visual stress and tension in my neck muscles also feed into this intersection, and any of them can seemingly be exchanged for any other.

As a child I was subjected to supposedly therapeutic but painful to wear bifocal glasses, dental braces, the tonsillectomy, and parents who were extremely determined that I never appear arrogant. All those tensions focused around the hyoid area, and something had to give. Each new opportunity to modify the sensations, like your surgery, seemed to be a blessed release, but after a couple of months my feedback system adjusted to the change and the tension began building again.

If this all sounds too "new age", that's not because I wouldn't rather be scientific, it's just that I'm only beginning to unwind all the tensions and compensations that got me to my current state. And I'm not finding anyone else talking about the kinds of experiences I'm exploring.

Does any of this make any sense to you?

Loren
Wooow!!! I have exactly the same problem! I have been searching for ages trying to find something to give me answers! The doctors dont believe me and say i have dental problems or acid reflux or its in my head, or its just my glands! But when your driving along, Yawn! And all of a sudden you feel like something is about to explode out of the side of your neck! Its scary! And god it hurts! I have nothing wrong with my thyroid either! When this happens to me...I am in so much pain....it feels like it is constricing over my wind pipe...i cant speak from the pain...i am just frozen!
The one thing i have noticed from reading these blogs are..we all seem to do jobs which use our voices. I am a singer....I work every weekend...fri,sat and sunday nights....
Thet told me i need to have speech therapy that im not using my voice properly....Its all rubbish! So, even in this age there are things the doctors do not know! But how i wish they did! This has only happened to me around 5 times in the last year. But it terrifies me. My doctor almost had me convinced its all in my mind! Now i know thats just what they say when they dont know....
Does anyone have any advice on what to do when this happens? It does seem to happen to me only when my voice or i am very tired.

Regards, Kayley (u.k)
I've done some more exploring of my neck and of the anatomy book, and found an interesting feature. Pulling downward on the back (toward the spine) ends of the hyoid are the omohyoid muscles. They run downward and then behind the sternocleidomastoids (the muscles that contract into action between your skull and your sternum and clavicles when you lean your head backward or take an extremely deep breath).

In the middle of its run each omohyoid becomes a tendon for some variable distance, sheathed in fascia that attaches it to the clavicle and first rib. As it exits this corner and becomes a muscle again, it is running sideways in the triangle between the clavicle and the upper border of the scapula. It normally connects along the top edge of the scapula (shoulder blade), but apparently in some people it connects to the clavicle or other locations in that area.

If I put a finger just inside the acromion (that bone that sticks up on top of my shoulder), and roll it backward and down into the notch between the outer end of my clavicle and the top of my scapula, I can feel the end of the omohyoid. It is extremely sore - on the order of the pain other people are describing here. Of course I have the simple option of not pressing on it...  

Here is the interesting part that may apply to many of us:
(education.yahoo.com reference gray subjects subject 112#20)
-----
The Omohyoidei not only depress the hyoid bone, but carry it backward and to one or the other side. They are concerned especially in prolonged inspiratory efforts; for by rendering the lower part of the cervical fascia tense they lessen the inward suction of the soft parts, which would otherwise compress the great vessels and the apices of the lungs.
-----

When you yawn, or take a really deep breath, the omohyoids work to expand the lower airway, pulling sideways as well as downward against the hyoid. Since the other ends are attached not to some local structure but way out at the ends of your shoulder blades, your posture and arm and shoulder positions can easily lead to uneven tension on the hyoid and a sideways displacement.

I mentioned this thread to a friend who had in the past been a spousal abuse victim, subjected to violent throttling, and she was amazed to discover that there is no "proper" position for the hyoid. She occasionally finds hers displaced sideways, apparently hung up on scar tissue from past trauma, and had acquired the belief that it would be harmful to try to move it back to a more comfortable position. After I explained the anatomy to her, and she confirmed the actions of her own muscles, she was quite relieved to feel free to move her throat around to a comfortable position.

Loren
I have a similar problem.  For about 5 years now, occasionally when I yawn or swallow and have my head turned, my throat gets stuck mid swallow or yawn.  By that I mean, the structure of my neck, just under the skin, literally sticks, and won't return to it's pre-yawn/swallow location.  It has been happening every couple of months.  It usually rights itself in a couple of seconds, but the sensation in the meantime is rather alarming.  I've asked my doctors about it, and they feel my neck, and tell me nothing is wrong.  

Well, this week, it stuck again.  And it didn't go back on it's own.  I had to push it back into place with my fingers.  Then this morning, it did it again.  And it took me nearly ten minutes to get it back into place.  I was trying really hard not to freak out.  After all, I can still breathe, but I just can't swallow.  Finally, I snapped it back into place.  But it frightened me.  So this afternoon I saw my doctor, and I now have a referral to an ENT.  I will call first thing tomorrow for an appointment.  Any suggestions?
Oh my Lord!  Thank you for this message board!!!  I have been seeing an ENT for a few months now for "something lumpish" that is lodged/blocking the right side of my throat somewhere in the middle.  Sometimes when I yawn it feels like a piece of tissue/muscle is getting twisted into a not and gets "stuck" in the middle of the yawn, causing me to gag for a few seconds.  It can be painful but it doesn't last long.  THis started back in March when I get an chest cold/very bad cough for about 5 weeks.  The cough went away but the "deepened voice" and wierd lump feeling have stayed.  The ENT says that it is Acid Reflux and that the Rx I have is helping "heal" the redness in my vocal chords.  Meanwhile, it still feels like my voice is coming up along the right side of my throat, my voice is hoarse, I can no longer sign becuase my voice is breathing and breaks/cracks and then hurts.  I've never been able to feel any type of bone though.  Have any of you experienced this??  
Yes, I experience this constantly.  You can read back up to my other posts, but since I got a bad cough this past November (really bad cough for 4-5 weeks), I can no longer raise my voice, or sing, or laugh, or cry.  ALL of those things cause my voice to crack and then excruciating pain in my larynx area follows and will not get better for a long while, often days!  The rest of the time I have a constant ache, which is probably my hyoid bone (which one of the ENTs told me is "getting caught" on another structure in my neck, because the muscles where overstreched by my 5 weeks of violent coughing) rubbing against nerves/tendons/ligament/muscles and causing this almost constant sore/ache.  I have decided to go to an ENT in Boston now, and I am scheduled to see him on July 27th.  Just a note for everyone.  YES...this is most likely something RARE, but....we all have this medical issue in one form or another...so some doctor out there must have seen this, we just haven't found the doctor yet, but with all of us looking, we WILL find that doctor.  In the meantime, we can support each other, and we can pass on anything that our doctors suggest.  Never give up all!
Do any of you experience flulike symptoms with the pain?  Also, have any of you experienced bleeding of any kind into the thyroid or elsewhere, followed by hormonal problems with the thyroid.  I also use my voice as my means of income.  I am a verbatim court reporter.
I haven't checked back in here in a while and am so surprised to see all of the comments adding up. I was particularly intrigued by Kayley's blog. My whole life doctors told me that what I was describing was not possible. It was all in my head. Then when I was persistent it was too much head conjestion or an emotional "lump" in my throat. Do these guys think we just sit around and make this stuff up? There is no way we could make this up. I saw my family doctor today for just a regular check up and he asked me how my neck was doing. I told him that I had started having the problem again 3 months after the surgery and that I was really down about it. I really thought for a while that I was "fixed." We went over the whole thing again from start to finish. What I experienced, what all the tests showed, what was done by the surgeon and where I am now. He just shook his head and said, "I've been in family practice for 25 years and I worked ER for many years before that and I have never seen anything like it before." It's the same old story. No doctor has ever seen it before and yet there are all of us having this problem and seeing doctors all over the place. I'm wondering what state you all are from? I'm in Indianapolis and none of the doctors around here know anything about it. I've spoken to the head of ENT at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and he's never heard of it. I got an "Ask the Expert" response once from a doctor at a hospital in Cincinnati and he's never heard of it either. I'm just wondering where the heck you have to go to find someone who does know about it? AND WHY can't someone figure it out? They can remove your heart for heaven's sake and replace it with a new one, artificial limbs are placed on people every day, but no one can figure out this tiny little fragile floating bone in our necks? It's crazy! My brother also has this same problem. Has all his life, just like me. That information lead one doctor to tell me it was probably some crazy genetic defect that only he and I had. I guess not! You've all got it or some variation of it anyway. Well, keep me posted on all your progress. Maybe someday one of us will get a real answer and then we can all report that to our individual doctors.  One other note regarding Kayley's blog, I DID go through speech therapy at one point. It didn't do any good. I did all those stupid swallowing exercises three times a day for months, but it just kept happening. The speech pathologist was just grasping at straws for a lack of knowing what else to do. She told me she didn't have any idea if it would help or not, but that it couldn't hurt. Oh well, Have a great evening!
Dear Shell, you asked where people were from...I am from Massachusetts...I am going into Boston tomorrow...where supposedly the "best doctors in the world are".  Well, let's see if anyone there has ever seen what we have before.  Try to have a good one!
Did anybody even read my post?  I have been sick for 3 years and it started with excruciating pain just to  the right side of my hyoid.  The point of pain was very tender and felt like a round hard lump.  I had flulike symptoms for about 1 week prior to the climax of pain.  Since about 2 weeks after that initial flareup I have a clicking in my hyoid when I swallow and the pain has switched to the other side.  I have been seeing an Endocrinologist since that time and am not secure in his diagnosis or his treatment.  I have had 4 neck surgeries:  2 cervical fusions, and 2 cervical foramanotomy's (one on each side).  About 1 month prior to the initial flare up I had started drinking C2 (The first time I've ever had any type of diet drink).  I am a voicewriter by profession, which means I repeat everything I hear into a recording device.  At the time of the initial flareup I was working about 3 days per week.  I now work full time.  
The reason I'm stating these facts is to see if there are any other common threads out there.
I run a fever EVERY DAY.  I'm very tired of feeling sick all the time.  If I'm not on the right forum, at least have the courtesy to say so.
Oh, yeah, I forgot another symptom.  Recurrent nasal polyps, stys on my upper eyelids and bartholin's cyst.  Since this has all come on I've had at least 5 Bartholin's Cysts, and a nasal polyp that took forever to get rid of, and countless stys.
Thanks for any direction you can offer.
Laura
Sorry I didn't answer your question in my last post. I've never had any flu like symptoms or any of the other stuff you mentioned. I've had my problem my whole life. As far as I know it wasn't "caused" by anything. The theory on mine is that the bone never fused into a solid bone before I was born. At least that's what the doctors think. They just don't know what to do about it. It's interesting that so many of us have similar issues, but none are exactly the same. The hyoid is a mysterious little bone. Anyway, sorry I don't have anything to add to what you're going through. My neck surgery was simply to remove a fragmented piece of the hyoid. I don't have anything else wrong with my neck or swallowing or thyroid or any other thing. Just the hyoid popping out of place and causing pain. I hope you're able to find a doctor that can help you. It sounds awful! Good luck. Shell K
Thanks for the info GGCB! I was in Massachusetts last October for the first time. It is a beautiful state. I hope you find one of those miracle doctors in Boston! Let us know how that goes. Every little piece of information could help.
Hello everyone..I'm 32 years old.... and OMG, I cannot believe there is other people out there with this "wierd" problem. I've been have all the same issues and sypmtoms for a few yrs now and its just gotten worse and more frequent to the point were I can't laugh too hard, yawn with out holding my neck in place, or sometime even turn my neck. In matter of fact it happend while I was in the car yesterday and I freaked out because It was stuck for a good 5-6 mins and I couldnt get it "unstuck" , the pain was excrutiating and I could barely speak...then after I got it unstuck by pushing it back into place..my neck was so sore, my throat is STILL sore, and it hurts when I turn my neck...I guess from what happend. It feels like I have a something boney in my throat that gets "twisted" is the best way to explain it, I thought maybe it was my pipe, or a muscle/ligament in my throat that just gets twisted backwards...( I dont know much about my anatomy to know what kinds of muscles ..ect that I have in my neck) I havent seen a docter yet, and i'm pretty much embarressed since I have so many "other" weird health issues like I have a rare heart condition... so this will put the icing on the cake if I have a rare throat condition..LOL! but also I would like to mention...that sometimes now this will sound crazy..but my lips will swell , like if I have collegen...they will get very big and swollen for about 2days..then they will get chap I guess from the swelling and peel...( and I already have full lips, so this is NOT a good thing) but I dont know if THAT is related to the whole throat thing? I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something, but now it happens like 1 a week and I CANNOT figure what is causing my lips to swell..My friends and family ( and husband) thinks its funny but the same time scary that my lips just SWELL for no reason...anyways thought I'd mention that..( by the way I took pics of my lips just in case I need for proof or something..weird I know) Any info would help...and let me know if I have to start looking up swollen lips too! LOL..hopefully not! Maybe there is a connection????  
Sorry I did not responde to your post earlier...My hyoid problem started with a REALLY BAD cough, not with the flu.  No swollen glands.  My pain radiates from the hyoid area and upper throat area and goes into the left side of my mouth, throat, and tongue...no pain radiates to the right side of any of those.  After reading your symptoms it sounds to me like you may have some sort of systemic virus that is affecting many parts of your body in different way, plus you mentioned you feel sick all of the time, I am wondering if you should consult a virologist to see if you have a really stubborn virus, which also may be causing glands in your throat to swell and cause your clicking.  If it turns out that you don't have a virus, then I would seek an ENT doctor for the throat pain and annoying clicking issue.  I wish you well.
I went to my ENT appt. in Boston last Friday.  First I need to say he was a very smart ENT surgeon with a wonderful bedside manner, which is very important to me since I had 3 "winners" before this.  I told him how this started with a cough I had for 5 weeks last November, and he asked me if I went to see my doctor at the time for the cough, I told him "yes, but my doctor said it was a virus and gave me no treatment, and that I went back for a 2nd time when my cough did not improve after 10 days and she still said, "No treatment"", well he told me that my symptoms sounded like "pertussis" (whooping cough), so #1, this injury may have been prevented had I been diagnosed and treated properly in November.  But there is nothing I can do about that now.  (The good news is that you cannot get whooping cough again once you have it.)  He told me that I have a torn ligament from all of the coughing, and because of the torn ligament, my hyoid is not being held in place properly and is getting caught on either a tendon or some cartilage in my neck when I move my head, etc., and is also rubbing on neck structures and maybe nerves which is causing pain to radiate from my neck to my mouth and tongue region.  He went on to explain that injuries like this can take a long time to "scar up" (12-18 months) because the neck really never rests...we are always moving, talking, supporting our heads, etc.  He did not use the term heal, because the injury really isn't "healing" in the sense that it will get better and be the way it was before.  He said the best that I could hope for would be for the tissue to "scar up" so that pain can be reduced.  He also said that my hyoid will most likely always pop out unless I have surgery...which he did not recommend that I do at this time.  He wants me to give it another 6 months or so to continue to "scar up".  He said that when the injury scars up, I may get less and less pain, until it becomes a tolerable level, but my hyoid will most likely always pop out the side unless I have some sort of surgery.  If at the end of the healing process my pain does not improve, then he will talk about surgical options.  He also said that this injury/condition is very rare and that there is no surgical procedure in any of the text books to address this.  Anyway, he told me that he has seen this once before.  Someone from China flew in to see him since nobody in China could help him.  This person did end up needing surgery.  I really liked this ENT doctor/surgeon...especially since he said to me "I will give you any infomation I can give you with your options...but you are in the drivers seat to let me know how you want to handle this."  I asked him if "not fixing the hyoid bone problem would cause any problems in the future for me" and he said no, that I would just have to be able to tolerate any pain that comes from it, and if the pain does not get any better, then he would try to help me with a couple of different surgical options if I so choose to do so, and it was all up to me as to how far I want to do with this (since not fixing the hyoid bone popping out problem will not cause me any futher problems in the future, other than pain).  Each of you might have this problem for different reasons, so you would still need to have it checked out by someone who has seen this before.  I will continue to monitor this forum and keep you all updated on any changes (hopefully improvement).  But for now, I guess I am stuck with trying to find a way to tolerate my daily pain until...hopefully...the injury scars up enough to make it more tolerable.
I just wanted to add one more this...more of a wish than anything...but, wouldn't it be great if all of us having this problem could meet somewhere, and go to one ENT doctor all at the same time?  This way, the doctor could examine all of us one at a time and maybe find the commonalities in our problems.  Maybe then, when they see so many people suffering with this, they will be able to help us AND put some procedures/treatments into place in medical books to help anyone else that may come along in the future with this same problem.  In a perfect world...
This is so fascinating. These posts are giving me hope that I'm not crazy. I have had the same problem you all have described for about 2 years now. After seeing many doctors who had no idea what I could be experiencing, I was sent to a specialist. The second I saw the ENT specialist, I said "There is a click in my throat. There's a lump, like a second adam's apple. I can't swallow or yawn without this click. Sometimes it feels like I am getting strangled". Without any further description, the EMT put his finger right on the lump and told me I had arthritis of the hyoid bone. He gave me some anti-inflamaty drugs. While I was relieved that the EMT recognized my symptoms, I have occasional doubts that something more serious is going on. It really helps me to have you all reporting the same symptoms and concluding its the hyoid bone. I never had any trauma to the neck. My symptoms are episodic, where the lump in my throat gets larger and causes discomfort...and then seems to go away. I have noticed that my symptoms get worst in the heat and humidity of the summer.  It is alarming. The doc told me that there was pretty much nothing I could do other than to take aleve, I have no other course of action. Honestly, I think that I could deal with the discomfort if I were positively, absolutely sure that my diagnosis was correct. I worry that I have been misdiagnosed and that I need treatment. I am thinking of getting a second opinion.  
Wow! You know, that makes great sense. As a kid, I was sick all the time with pneumonia. I had a lot of allergies which caused the pneumonia and coughing is what I did all the time. That could explain why I've had this problem my whole life. Like I said, I first talked to my doctor about it when I was about 8 years old and it had been happening for a long time at that point. If your ENT is correct and once you tear that ligament, you always have that problem, then maybe it really is something we can't do much about. He's also right about the tolerability. Since I've had it my whole life, you just learn to live with it. You learn what not to do, sort of what triggers it. But sometimes, it just pops out for no apparent reason. I DID have surgery, but not on ligaments. I actually had part of the hyoid bone removed. My x-rays showed that my hyoid was in sections. I wonder if during all that coughing as a child, when I tore a ligament did I also break the hyoid bone into pieces? Research shows that about the only way to break a hyoid is through strangulation or hanging, but hey they said the popping out wasing possible either. I wonder if you would share the name of the doctor you saw? I'd like to pass this information along to my ENT, maybe they could compare notes or something. Thanks for much for the news! Take care, Shell K
I went to the ENT Clinic at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.  I really liked Dr. Saxon.  I just wanted to mention, that even though the things he told me make sense, it is always important to keep your ears open for other ideas as to what this can be and how it should be treated, and to always follow up with your doctor if you get new or changing symptoms.  I actually have noticed that even though my pain has decreased a little, my throat has actually gotten a lot worse in the discomfort category in the past 2 weeks.  My hyoid is constantly (not an exageration) sticking out the side of my neck and I feel like it is totally dislocated.  I can move it back in, but as soon as I do that out it comes again, and now it is starting to happen on the other side of my neck.  I don't even want to swallow, or move or speak any more.  I just want to sleep.  That is the only time I have relief from it.  I barely get through the day at work, and forget about having any kind of fun!  I guess I must sound whiney now...sorry.  Some days I just get tired of acting strong.  Half of the time I get myself into the mind set that I can live with this if I have to....as for the other half of the time....well, you know.  I am very interested to hear what happens after the 2 doctors talk, so let me know.  I will also be checking this forum often so that I can keep up with what is happening with everyone.  Talk to you later.  Good luck Shell and all!
I agree with you completely on the changing symptoms. I've had times when things were...different...with my symptons too. I'm going to print this info out and fax it to my doctor. We'll see if he actually contacts Dr.Saxon or not. Thanks again. I really hope you find some relief soon.
Hello, my name is Jen I am a 27 year old identical twin.  My twin and I have had the same type of problem for many years.  My sister says she thinks this first happend to her when she was 12, while eating doritos.  She thought she had a dorito stuck in her throat but soon realized this was not the case.  We have always said that our throat pops out of place when this happens.  We have both noticed that this happens mostly when we are laying down and  we lift our head up and look sideways.  It also happens when standing up while turning our head in a somewhat awkward position.  I don't know if it puts strain on our neck causing the bone to pop out of place.  It feels very uncomfortable when this happens like a chip is caught in your throat.  In order for the bone to go back into place we have to move our throat around until it goes back.  Sometimes it could take a little while before it will pop back into place. We also have never heard of anyone else having this problem besides us.  My sister has told the ENT about what happens and he thought it could be a cartlige in her throat.  Like you have all said I don't think doctors are very knowledgeable about this problem.  I would like to see more research done on the topic because people think you are crazy since they have never heard of this before. Now I know that the problem may be caused by my hyoid bone.  Thanks for the input.
I am 39 years old, I have had this problem for 6 or 7 years.  I have always explained it as  - it feels like my left tonsil has popped out of place.  Would anyone else explain it that way?
Thank you all for this board.  Finally a group of people that have had the same thing happen.  Everyone DOES think I am crazy when it happens.  After years of struggling I found out that this same thing happens to my mother.  I will be back soon to see if anyone has had any luck with Dr.'s
I am 24 years old and have had this problem for a few months now. I had my tonsils out in February (which the ENT said it was one of the worst cases that he's seen in a long time) and my necks pops on the left side when I turn my head to the left. It doesn't dislocate completely but I feel alot of pressure like it might but no pain. My hyoid bone is very lax and makes alot of "grinding" noises even when I turn my head to the right. I am a Physical Therapist and I realize it should move but I've had a couple of my co-workers (P.T. and a Speech Language Path.) take a look and they say it feels abnormal to them. I went back to see my ENT and she told me that I had a severe case of GERD and said that is what may be causing my problem due to swelling and inflammation which my cause the laryngeal cartliges to be rubbing against the back of the hyoid. She gave me script for Prevacid and told me to take that and if it still is happening to come back. I've been taking it for a couple of weeks and it still pops. I truly think they didn't have an answer for me. So I haven't decided if I will go back to just live with it.
I have those same grinding noises in my hyoid area just like you which happens when I turn my head in either direction.  This is just one of my many hyoid symptoms and pains.  My hyoid bone pops out in the left side whenever I turn my head to the left, even slightly, and stays caught on something inside my neck when I turn my head back to the right.  I am in a constant state of discomfort and even pain.  Feels like my hyoid is scratching inside of my throat when I move my head or swallow or talk.  What I would like to ask you is, has the GERD medication helped the grind ing in your throat?  If it has, then I will try that because I do have mild Acid Reflux Disease.  Please post back letting me know if it helped with the grinding at all as I will try it also so that I can at least get rid of one of the many symptoms that causes me discomfort.  I am sorry to see so many people with this hyoid problem. Everyone keep posting and updating their medical status, changing symptoms, things they have tried, and any success in improving any of their symptoms!
I feel that it has helped just a little with the "grinding" feeling, but the popping of the hyoid is still there. It wouldn't hurt to try the medication just to see if it works for you.
Thank you for letting me know!  I think that I will try Zantac for a couple of weeks to see if it can help the grinding I have in my upper throat where the hyoid is.  I will post back and let you know if it helps me!
Just wanted to say thanks for the post it was very informative. I have the same problem, sometimes it happens frequently, other times not at all. I usually experience varying levels of pain when it pops out but I would just simulate a yawn to get it back in. I told my girlfriend about it las night at a party and like most people she thought it was weird. I am sorry to know about the pain you suffer but it's kind of relieving to know they are people who can indentify with my problem. Thanks again for the post.
I just turned 24 in July, for Labor Day Weekend I went to Pasadena for a wedding.  I just noticed this strange sensation in my throat last week.  As I was reading through some the posts what I found in common is that my hyoid bones moves way too easily, or atleast I think so, I feel like there is a pill stuck in the back of my throat constantly, I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux about a year ago while I was working as a missionary.  However I haven't had any big problems with heartburn or acid reflux since coming home almost a year ago.  The only thing that I think may have brought on these symptoms for me is that last week I drove to LA from SLC, the last hour and a half of the trip my friend and I started belting out the soundtrack to Hairspray.  I know it sounds strange, but I can't think of anything else.  It started as a sore throat, I lost my voice two days later and then it felt like I stuck something in my throat.  This may sounds so gross, but I reached down my throat trying to figure out if I had something growing or what, and yes I can feel the bone.  Until a couple minutes ago this has not hurt though, now I can feel kind of a shooting pain down the left side of my neck.  So I didn't read all of the posts because I have ADD and after the first 6 posts I just have the HARDEST time concentrating!  But from what I can see, it seems like seeing a doctor about this will be a waste of time?  If I am wrong please correct me, but I don't have insurance right now, or if it is in effect I don't think it is really that great coverage.  THANK YOU so much for this forum!  As I sit here I am feeling more pain though, which makes me wonder if it really is in my head, or if it is because I moved my hyoid around to see if it did what others complained of.  I'm so sorry to hear that all of you are in such pain!  That makes me sad for you.  I am grateful for the internet though!  WOW!  Thank you goodness for some answers!  
I have been taking the Zantac for about 1 week now and I think I have had a little improvement with the upper throat "grinding" portion of my problem.  I will continue it for another week or two to see if it continues to improve.  I still have the hyoid popping out the left side of my throat still every time I turn my head.  I haven't given up on that though and I plan on seeing another doctor this month and next month.  (I have slowed down on seeing doctors recently because I just broke my foot and am out of work and non-weight-bearing for 6 weeks.  Three weeks left!)  Like I needed another problem to cause pain!  What really aggravates me is that my hyoid problem causes me more pain and discomfort than my broken foot!  How have you been doing?

To: Hotgal1
I think (and I think that everyone else will also agree) that you should still see a doctor at least once about your problem.  You may have a different problem that may be treatable, but you will not know unless you go to the doctor (preferably an ENT).  You may also get lucky and find the doctor that has the answer that you and the rest of us are looking for...good luck and post back!
I have been reading your stories.  I have been having reoccuring Pharyngitis for many years now and the doctors always say there is nothing that will help and I just have wait it out.  I have recently been going to a Chrio as well and yesterday she said my Hyoid bone seem to be out of place and she popped it back in.  I felt good afterwards with swallowing but not even a day later it seems to be the same again - it hurts (but I am not in tears), pain killers are not doing to much either.  At least one a month I feel like my  I have  a sore, raw throat and hard to swallow, voice sounds husky/scratchy. Glands are swollen and tender, sore neck, headache, earache some time as well. My head feels stuffy and heavy. Does this sound like what you go through as well?  I would be interested to know as this has been on going for a few years and it drives me crazy.  I need answers and help!!  It would be great to hear from you all.
well funny thing, a few days after I made that post the bone went back, I guess because I kept moving it just playing with it.  It came out the other day but went back in the same day.  So until I have more problems.. I will just assume it was a one time thing.  thanks for all that information!
After just having an episode a second ago, I typed in "twisting throat tendons" on Google and was directed to this page! I read shell k's entry and was fascinated to read that I have similar symptoms. Mine occurs to the left, center of my throat, just below and to the back of the jawbone. I sing in a choir and sometimes when I am practicing and yawn at the same time - it is like my throat tendons twist. Or if I swallow with my head tilted a certain way it will occur. It will hurt to position my head erect. I have to turn my head to a leftward bow and try to massage it out with my fingertips and move my head gently, and I mean gently because too much movement of the head really hurts, and it can un-twist without trouble but sometimes I have trouble. I never know when it will happen. Then last Wednesday during rehearsal, I had a slight episode and quickly massaged the area before it really cramped. I noticed a crunching feeling in the area. Massaging the area now, I don't. It is very strange and hurts. And after an episode the area feels like a bruise too - sensitive.  I am concerned that it will get worse. I am not a proponent of pills or surgery. I asked a doctor about it many years ago and he told me there is nothing there to cause my throat to get stuck - he said just tendons and had no recommendations.  
What a relief to find this page ~ after two years of suffering random throat spasms.  The pain you all describe is my pain!  It comes on suddenly, brings me to tears, and happens more and more every day.  I'm finally being scheduled for an MRI to be followed up by a visit to a neurologist.  I'll gladly keep you all posted with my progress (or lack thereof!).  By the way, my pain has always felt like it was at the very base of my throat, left side, and I've never had flu symptoms accompany any attacks.  The ENT exam was clear, but my doctor believes my pain is real, and wants to resolve it.
OMG...THANK GOD FOR THIS PAGE...I NOW KNOW I'M NOT NUTS...FOR THE PAST YEAR OR SO...I CAN'T EVEN LIKE TURN MY HEAD AND YAWN OR SWALLOW BECAUSE I GET LIKE THIS CLICK IN MY NECK WHICH LEADS TO THE WORST PAIN EVER....I CAN'T SWALLOW I CAN'T MOVE MY NECK AND I HAVE TO LET IT POP BACK IN BY ITSELF....I EVEN ASKED ONE OF THE RADIOLOGISTS AT MY JOB IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE...UR HYOID BONE POPPING OUT OF PLACE AND HE LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY...I'VE BEEN MEANING TO GET SOFT TISSUE NECK XRAYS BUT WHO KNOWS IF THEY WILL SHOW ANYTHING...SHOULD I GO SEE AN EAR NOSE THROAT DOCTOR? WOULD I BE WASTING MY TIME?
Definitely see an ENT.  It is not a waste of time.  I have seen 5 doctors so far and each time I see one, even though they can't help me so far, I have learned a little more information about hyoids and throats each time.  I am still going to go to another one after the holidays as my problem still hasn't changed.  Good luck and please post back with how you did and any information you think may help the rest of us.
This is the first time I have ever seen this page. I have suffered with the exact same issue since I was young. I have never forced mine back in place due to the incredible pain. I did have a Dr. perform this once though his recommendation was to wait and let it go back on its own rather than force it. I also went to an acupuncturist and that seemed to work best. I would still like to know if there is anything that can be done to prevent this all together. I have had so many Dr.'s say they have no idea what it is or that it's in my head.,, no it's in my throat.
I just did this last night and I am waiting to see if and when it will go back. I have been alternating cold/heat and taking advil to help with the swelling.
thanks for sharing so much over these months.

wouldn't it be great if Dr. Saxon of the ENT Clinic at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston could contribute here?

GGCB, it'd be great if you could ask next time you see 'em

i searched on "hyoid dislocation" and "hyoid fracture" but the discussion on this page has the most examples compared to the literature.
Does anyone know if this Hyoid clicking  can be a result of Anxiety? The tightening of the throat muscles is always a symptom with many Anxiety sufferers and therefore, I just wondered if this 'tightening' would affect the Hyoid bone. I've had my 'clicking' for about 6 weeks now and been to a couple of doctors only to be told there was nothing to worry about. I'ts not painfull just so annoying. I've read that also that Acid Reflux can be a cause, something again which is a symptom of Anxiety.
I haven't been back to this site for a few months now. I'm just amazed at how many of us have the same or at least similar problems. My surgery was over a year ago now and I still have the same problem. I've been keeping a diary of sort of when it happens, what I'm doing, how long it takes for it to go back, etc. It seems to go in spells. It happens several times in a short period of time and then no problems for 2 or 3 months. It's the same as it has always been as far as what I'm doing when it happens. Mostly when I laugh hard, yawn, stretch while turning my head at the same time. But nowadays it also seems to happen for absolutely no reason. I can just be sitting at my desk and I all of a sudden feel an aching pain on the right side of my neck and then "pop" there it goes and the pain is excrutiating. I think I've just given up on any real solutions. Dr. Choi confirmed above that there just isn't any solid documentation available on what causes this or what to do about it. I guess the best to hope for is that if enough of us complain about it to our doctors and make these types of forums, maybe some doctor somewhere will really concentrate on figuring it out. I gotta tell you, it's pretty deflating to just keep being told, "I dont know" "I've never heard of anything like it before." If we as patients can find this many people who share the same symptoms, why can't a doctor find another doctor who has ever dealt with this problem. We've all seen doctors. Some of us have seen LOTS of doctors. My doctor doesn't seem interested in researching it. He doesnt' have the answer, so just move on to something he already knows how to fix. That's what is the most frustrating.
you said you'd see someone after the holidays...  any luck?
In mid october I lifted a heavy suitcase above my head. Within days my hearing felt clogged, and i've barely had relief from it since. I started to have headaches at the base of my head, which I freaked out about and was told was a tension headache, one day I was sitting in my friends car and i had a sore throat ( in the front ) and I felt something pop back into place. Shortly after that I went back to the ER and was treated for muscle spasms of the neck, I told the doctor about something popping back into place in my throat but he never addressed it. Apparently my neck x-ray came up fine. I thought it went away but It's happened three more times since then. The pain isn't unbearable, mild with some swallowing problems. The center of my throat gets sore and sometimes I get short of breath and cough. I did some poking around on the internet and found this little snippet of info:

" HYOID BONE SYNDROME:
Only bone in body that does not articulate with any other bone. cause is trauma.

Symptoms: chronic constant pain in the lateral side of the throat that radiates to the ear, throat, temple, cheek and TMJ. Pain in the lower molar teeth. upper chest pain. Dizziness or fainting when turning the head towards the injured side. Pain when swallowing. Chronic sore throat, difficult or tightens when swallowing Treatment is surgery. "

Also I was wondering if it was possible for it to break off and travel somewhere. Because that would be scary.
doesn't have anything to break off of.

nope.  wouldn't
Hello, I can´t believe I found this page!!! It happens to me too,the last time it happened I eneded  up in the hospital for 6 hours!!and they had no idea of what I had, I said I felt something dislocated but they have never heard of it before...The pain is terrible, i cant swallow.It happens when i turn my neck and talk or swallow. I have spondilitis and Hipermoblity sindrome,does anyone else is hipermobile?? I think that might be causing it, thank youu kisses
Count me in as the latest person to discover this page.   I've had this problem for years with no explanation.    It started whenever I yawned really big, so I learned to not yawn big.   Both my doctor and dentist could not explain this.   Sometimes I find that if I massage my jaw it helps to relax the spasm.  Sometimes I use a hot wash cloth.   I've not found one spot, or bone, that when manipulated relieves the pain but after reading these posts I will try some of the techniques mentioned.   Usually,  if I just stop trying to swallow, and just relax for a few minutes it goes away.   Pretty scary though.    As I get older it seems to be getting worse and happens for no reason at all just lying in bed.  Sure am glad to find some explanations!!   Thank you!
hello everybody. Went to doctors AGAIN last week with reoccuring swollen 'gland' left side of neck, which happens suddenly and brings with it headache, tingles in cheek, ear pain and raised or lower temperature.  In other words i feel generally awful.  Never heard of this bone, until doctor pressed it and said there was tenderness on the hyoid bone.  I feel uncomfortable in back of throat and swallowing can be uncomforable but nothing more and  nothing has ever 'popped out'. I ended up with anti-depressants and time off work due to stress (thought work stresses were preventing me from feeling better).  Any advice would be gratefully received. Oh, and I also have an old neck injury and get relief by 'cracking' my neck.  Do you think that may have caused something?
I am 32 years old and last June ,I think it was I started having a sudden
"stab" like sensation in the left side of my throat.  It felt as though something was pushing in from the outer left into the middle of my throat.  It would really startle me and even cause me to cough.  It lasted only a second and really didn't cause me pain, just a strange sensation-
something that should not be there.  It does seem to be positional I guess--I am a nurse and I interview pt's preop so I do alot of talking at work and looking back and forth from patients to my computer and that is mostly where I notice it.  Also if I smile and speak at the same time it will happen.  I've been to an ENT and he looked in my throat with a camera and saw nothing except probable reflux. On his suggestion I took Prilosec for a while but it kept happening.  I asked to be referred to my gastroenterologist who did an EGD and dilated my esophagus and put me on Nexium.  I kept having the sensation though, did an MRI-I have a bulging cervical disc though this is probably not related.  I have been taking Nexium now since December and I am having this problem way less often.  In the meantime I went to see a
neurologist-because no one could explain the problem.  He actually did
mention the hyoid bone and said the problem was not neurological--what
is really amazing is that he called me this evening at home because he found this site and thought I would be interested.  He was researching also, I guess because this is just so strange and inexplainable. He suggested if this keeps bothering me to go back to the ENT, but for now I feel like the Nexium has helped me and frankly I'm sick of worrying about it and not getting any answers.  I also never really related this, but after reading all the posts I too have had the problem with the left side of my throat/neck getting "stuck" like in mid swallow or yawn and being very painful briefly-almost like a muscle spasm and this I can remember happening to me from way back.  Anyway, it is good to hear that I am not making this up and I am not a hyperchondriac-that I am not the only one with this weird **** happening to me.  Like I said before, for me this seems to be related to GERD and I'm thinking the Nexium has helped. I really appreciate the neurologist calling me at home on a Saturday night to tell me about this site. I hope you all find something that helps you too.
Sorry I haven't posted back in a while.  I was unable to get to another doctor yet as I switched jobs and my new insurance does not start until April 1, but I plan on going back again then.  My situation has not improved at all,  Still whenever I turn my head, even slightly to the left, and then loot straight again, my hyoid bone will stick out of the left side of my neck.  A person cannot live without moving their head...I need to work, I need to drive, etc.  I am now 100% convinced that the reason this is happening is because it is getting caught on something inside my neck (possibley my cervial spine?).  If I do not push it back in (while moving the position of my head in different positions so it will slide more easily back into a good position) then my throat thumps/clicks when I swallow, and it also will cause numbness, tingling, and soreness in different areas of my neck, mouth, lips nose, and face (which is telling me that when the bone is caught to the left, it is irritating nerves (hopefully not damaging them!).  Not to mention the extremely uncomfortable feeling 24/7 that my throat is dislocated.  I am still unable to sleep in any other position except on my back (I have never been a back sleeper and my quality of sleep is almost non-existent) with pillows propped on both sides of my head so my head does not move when I sleep and cause problems for when I wake up in the morning.  I am pretty much at the end of what I can tolerate, I do not enjoy doing anything anymore (since everythings requires me to move my head).  Even sitting and watching TV is something I can tolerate for only short periods of time.  I hate to say this, but if my life is going to be like this, then I don't want to be here anymore.  But I will try a little bit longer to find someone to help me.  I have really yet to find someone who would go any further than looking down my throat.  How about some x-rays with the bone sticking out the side?  So far my doctors want to do a conventional x-ray with your head in perfect position...what will that show???  How about taking an x-ray of my neck after I turned my head so that they will see what position the hyoid is in when it is caught...maybe they will see what it is caught on?  I do want to mention one more thing though,  When I stand, my hyoid becomes a little more comfortable (even though the same symptoms are present).  When I sit down, my hyoid bothers me more (thus I wonder if this problem has some relationship with my cervical spine...hyoid getting caught on a bulging disc?...Is that possible?).  Sorry this post is so long, but it has been a while and I wanted to let everyone know the status.  I truly hope that there is nobody else out there as bad as this (if there is, then I am sorry for you), as this has totally changed my life.  The quality of my life is gone, I can no longer do most of the things I used to do and the little left that I do, I no longer enjoy.  I don't look forward to tomorrow, I dread it.
I have the very similar problems!
I thought I was the only one to suffer from that condition!
But I don't speak english: I'm Italian..

Bye
YES! I AM NOT CRAZY!  LOL But seriously I have had this problem since the 8th grade and I'm now 52 years old.  Alot of you seem to have this problem are public speakers, singers, and others who use their voice alot.  This isn't my case.  I do have alot of back problems, but the only one that was present at the time this problem (I don't know what to call it, cause my doctors sure don't) presented itself was I was born with mild scoliosis.  Sometimes I do hear an audible click, and sometimes just sense it........and then if I swallow...you all know that's a bad idea, it confirms it.  It feels like a knife slicing down the left side of my throat.  GGCB I am truly sorry for your pain and I can only hope doctors begin taking us seriously.  I'm lucky in that I have always gotten it to "pop" back into place.  Somemtimes it can take a while (during which I am trying not to panic).  The only thing that I have found to work for me is to put my head up and down and all the while wiggling my throat with my hand.  It seems that when it pops out (for lack of a better word)  I've looked down and then sideways.  This hapens several times a week and I've just lived with it......doctors just seem to think it's all in my head.  I got the idea of it being a problem with my hyoid bone by watching CSI.  lol  I'm sad, but at least I'm sane to know that there are others out there with this condition.  Thank you for this post.  I'll visit soon.
Not sure if I have a problem with the Hyoid bone, but 4 weeks ago my throat started clicking everytime I swallowed my saliva, I thought it would go away in a day or two, but it never did. I went to my family doctor a couple weeks after, and he reffered me to an ENT to get checked up, I have an appointment on April 24th, hopefully it'll be gone by then.
Anyhow, its still there and is really annoying, something clicks everytime I swallow my saliva and sometime while swallowing food and drinks. If I relax my throat I get this pumping like pain around my adam's apple. I tried some neck exercise, which helped a little.
Another thought, I'm planning to see a chiropractic to have my spinal cord aligned, since I've heard mis-alignment is the root cause of a lot of bone related problems. Anyone ever tried it?
I am sorry to hear that you started having the click when you swallow.  I know how annoying it is also as I have had my click for 16 months now.  I can say that, as for the clicking part of my problem, some days it does not click when I swallow at all, so at least I get a bit of relief from that part of my problem.  Hopefully yours will go away.  Let us know what your ENT says about your throat.  Regarding your comment about a chiropractor, I was thinking about that too,  I sometimes think that the reason I have my problem is partly because something might be misaligned in my neck (cervical spine).  If you get any help from your chiropractor, please post back and let us know that also.  Good luck on the 24th.  Hope to hear from you soon.

I just found this website. I was told I have Hyoid Syndrome and have been to the ENT and family doc several times. I too have described a lot of what everyone has posted on here. I truly thought maybe I had a Thyroid problem but the ENT says no just Hyoid Syndrome. I have had CT's, Ultrasounds, and a scope ran down by nose/throat twice and still hear the same thing. I do go for a steriod/cortizone shot in my neck on Wednesday, I will post the results if helpful. Thanks for all the insight here.
I just wanted to let everyone now that I spoke to someone who encouraged me to try a doctor of osteopathic medicine.  These are medical doctors who take an additional 500 extra hours of study of human anatomy than a regular M.D..  I have been told that these doctors know the body like no other doctor.

From the wikipedia:  "Today, the training of osteopathic physicians is virtually identical to that of M.D. physicians. Osteopathic physicians use all conventional methods of diagnosis and treatment but are trained to place additional emphasis on the achievement of normal body mechanics as central to maintaining good health.  D.O. physicians receive training in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM), a form of manual therapy shown to be of some benefit for patients with certain musculo-skeletal disorders. However, this form of therapy is used by a minority of osteopathic physicians in actual practice."

I made an appointment with one that uses OMM.  You would need to find one that uses OMM in your area too.  I know that surgery is not the answer for me or for any of us.  It can only cause more problems since it is experimental.  My appointment is in May.  If anyone is contemplating having going to another ENT or having surgery, please consider going to a D.O. first to see if they can help you.  I am going to a highly recommended doctor in Maine, about 2 1/2 hours north of here.  Once I have my appointment I will let you all know how it went.  Wish me luck!
http://dysphagia.com/mlist/2002-January/msg00146.html

Article maybe helpful?
Dear all:
       I am a tmj specialist.Neither did I see a patient's presentation as you described in the past 20+ years practice. Although hyoid bone has no articulation with other bone, it has indirect connection to other bones through myofascial tendinous structures. The bones associated with hyoid bone are mandible,temple, sternum, scapula, as well as thyroid cartilage. The function of hyoid is associated with mastication, deglutition, respiration, and phonation. The hyoid bone can not pop out without the forces generated by muscular contraction.There must be " muscle imbalance" involved in the pathogenesis of your hyoid hypermobility.However, the root cause of muscle imbalance of hyoid musculatures would be difficult to identify. Occlusal therapy for temporomandibular disorder generally can relieve the muscle tension of masticatory , cranial, posterior cervical, upper shoulder, as well as sternocleidomastoid muscles.I do'nt know if the therapy is effective for supra and infra hyoid muscles.There is a book titled" myofascial pain and dysfunction,the trigger point manual,volume1.upper half body"in which chapter12/digastric muscle and other anterior neck muscles may be worth your reading.The book was published lippincott,williams& williams.In conclusion, I personally think that soft tissue manipulative therapist, such as D.O. chiropractor, myofascial trigger point therapist, and tmj specialist may provide relief of your problems.
I had my appointment with the ENT on 4/24, and the doctor used a scope to go thru my nose and checkout the throat. Everything looked good, he said that I'm having this problem due to tensed throat muscles. The cartilages in the throat are very close, and I probably had a muscle spasm or something that caused this a couple of months ago. He said he had seen many people with this problem, and that it would go away by itself, no medicines needed. I'm still a little worried though, does anyone know if there are any exercises I can do to relax these muscles, and how long it would take for this to go?
Thank you for your post.  As I stated in my post, I do not think that surgery is the answer for this issue based on the 5 ENT's I have seen.  I am glad that you feel that seeing a D.O. may be helpful.  Myself and many of the people in this forum have such little hope to get this issue fixed, so it is finally good to see another specialist agree that OMM might help.  I am sure that myself and others in this forum will view your recommended reading.
LLO
Hi everyone, I just finished reading all of the posts! I just can't believe so many are suffering this!! I am so sorry for all of you. I just got back from an appointment with an ENT and asked him if he could tell me what this painful hard lump in my neck was. I have been thinking it is a swollen gland,,my regular doctor said no swollen glands. Anyway the ENT started pressing on it  and boy did it hurt!! Then he said it is my Hyoid bone and that it is much larger on the left side than the right--and he told me not to worry about it. So I came home and typed in hyoid bone in google and found all of you!! Unbelievable...he didn't seem concerned at all that it is painful or anything. Well anyway as I was reading all of your posts --I kept on thinking about a chiropractor. I am glad that it was finally suggested . I think everyone here would do well to at least go and see a chiropractor..they can do amazing adjustments and alignments and who knows maybe you will get some relief. It's funny because I was just thinking this morning that I feel like alot of the pain I am having might be coming from the way I have been sleeping with my neck. I have terrible sinus infections and polyps--which I will have surgery on soon,,,but because of them I sleep on like 3 pillows,,,and since then I have had quite alot of back and neck pain and then this hyoid bone thing started..and the pain and weird sensations travel to the back left side of my tongue, into my ear and back of my throat..really strange painful sensations...so after I have the polyps removed and my sinuses cleaned out..if the problem persists I am going to go and see a chiropractor. Well I hope everyone here gets some relief !! I will check back soon to see if anyone has any updates.
Thank you for your input here. I had the surgery because my throat x-rays showed that my hyoid bone was not in one solid piece. What I had done was removal of a piece of the bone that was not attached to the rest of the bone. The theory was that if the moving piece was removed, then it couldn't pop through muscles/tendons or whatever it is that is attached to the hyoid bone. Unfortunately, removing that piece didn't take care of my problem. I have seen a speech pathologist who has prescribed throat and neck exercises, but they haven't helped either. I may look in to seeing the D.O. as suggested by GGCB. Actually, I'm thinking I'll probably just continue to deal with the problem as I have for the past 40+ years. As you noted, you've never seen anything like it, every other doctor I've ever seen, talked to or been associated with in any way has the same problem...they've never seen it either. Some have been excited about it and the possibility of figuring out something that no one has ever seen before, but none have come up with any real solultions. Maybe a D.O. will be the answer, but I'm not getting my hopes up...again.
It appears that poping out of your hypermobile hyoid bone is associated with movements of head turning, tmj, and tongue. I think occlusal therapy for temporomandibular disorder may be worth a try.
My D.O. appointment is next Monday.  I will let you know how it goes.  The doctor that referred me seemed extremely optimistic that this doctor will be able to help me...I, like you, am very guarded as I do not want my hopes to be shattered again, but I also need this last bit of hope as I ran out of doctors in Boston.  I actually contacted Mass Eye and Ear, they are supposed to have one of the best ENT departments in the country, but they ended up not even wanting to see me and instead referred me to Brigham and Women's Hospital, where I already went with no success.  It seems that nobody wants to deal with this and this D.O. I am going to see in Maine (2 1/2 hour drive each way) is pretty much my final hope as far as I am concerned.  I have already decided that, if this doctor is unable to help me, I am going to give up.  Living with this problem, since it has changed my daily quality of life (I have given up doing everything I enjoy...including reading) is really not a good option for me, but it seems that it may be my only option.  I won't however give up quite yet...let's see what happens on Monday.  I hope that he is able to help, if not fix the problem, at least make it better...not just for me, but for you and anyone else with this problem.  Keep an eye out for the results of my visit!
has anyone found out what the name of this disorder is i've have this for the past 6 yrs I'm only 23 it all started when i was eating food in a awkward position (sidewayz on the couch..dont ask) i remember swallowing then excrusiating pain as if my hyoid when down and never came back up i have to wiggle it back in place (it snaps back in) ...first it only happened twice to three times a year then it started being more ofter i find it happends most when i burp/belch with my mouth close with my chin to my chest or yawn to extensively(over stretch)it fells like the hyoid I'm not shure if this is correct or adams apple goes down and wont come back up as if caught on something the only problem is its happing more and more and i feel as though ive grinded down the nitch that it fits in (so to speak)so it takes longer to get back in place its extreamly painful to swallow and brings instant tears to my eyes and i cant speak or move of fear of stretching this muscle now it takes like 10 min to get it back in place and when i tell people they look and me like im crazy it also is only on the left side never the right any ideas
For those who report anxiety issues.

Hello, I do not suffer this hyoid condition but I took note of those who
report anxiety with the condition.

It sounds as if most sufferers have neck tension issues.

I studied something called the Alexander Technique, it is something you
learn with a teacher.

I am not sure I could even begin to offer a good description here but some
of the aspects that
may be of interest are as follows.

The neck is mis-used and overtense in many people.
The way we mis-use or our necks is deeply connected with fear - try google
on "startle reflex" we are often
not in slightest bit aware of how badly we are "using" ourselves, we tense
our necks in just about every activity
we do even though it is not necessary.

The Alexander Technique is about a lot more than neck tension, I cant define
it for you easily I can only pick
certain aspects that I think may interest you. I can tell you that if you
visit a teacher you may feel as I did,
a wonderful oiled, smooth freedom in every joint in your body. If you suffer
fear you may find considerable peace
and calm. Its impossible to make promises, each person experiences something
different and it would be incredibly
irresponsible of me if I made any claims at all.

In general Alexander Teachers do not achieve "cures" for specific problems
nor do the claim to do so. However
they can have a remarkable effect by showing a student quite how much damage
they do to themselves completely
unintentionally by the way they mis-use themselves. If something is
structurally wrong with your hyoid bone
then an Alexander Teacher is unlikely to fix the problem, however they may
have some surprising effect on general
neck tension and anxities.

I would advise anyone who finds this interesting just to do a little
research of their own on the internet.
You could start by searching for "Robert Rickover" and go and visit his
website which is one of the largest
depositories of Alexander Technique related matireal on the web. Please dont
take my word, do your own research
and come to your own conclusions, all I would like to do is suggest a
possibility to you.

I am not an Alexander Teacher myself, the advice is offered without any
vested interest.

Best wishes Jon.
Please Do NOT give up Hope. I am just a graduate student trying to find my way through life and I stumbled upon you folks. After reading about all your struggles and pain, I realize that there is much more to the human body that we just cant quite figure out, no matter how much time we spend studying it. Don't let the body overcome the soul. I'll be praying for a miracle.
I am sorry that you have to deal with this problem too.  I wish that we knew a name for this problem. I know that it really doesn't help with the problem, but just know that you are not alone with it, and you are not crazy...it is a real problem.  I know (as do many of us in this forum) how painful, and frightening it is when the hyoid pops out.  Mine pops out the side every time I turn my head to the left (which equals hundreds of times per day that I have to push it back in).  Please keep checking in at this forum to see if anyone has some advice.  I don't have much faith in ENT's (seen 5), but if you haven't gone to one yet, you should at least go once so you can get a baseline CT Scan, and MRI.  Some people have suggested trying a chiropractor, a speech pathologist, a physical therapist, neck exercises, etc.  I am trying a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy).  If you go to an ENT it may be a good idea to print out these posts to show that others out there have the same thing.  Please post back to let us all know how you are doing and post any time you feel like you need a little emotional support.  
Thank you...at this rate we are going to need a miracle.
There is no telling how long the click will last.  I have had my click for 19 months now, some people's may have gone away, and some people have had it for years, so there is no way to tell.  I hope that yours goes away soon like your doctor says.  Let us know!
I too, have had the exact same problem as you all for the last two years, I am only 21 and decided something needed to be done after having it pop out twice in the past weeks. Just today I visited my local Doctor of Osteopathy here in Bastrop, TX and he did some reseach and found this site and he theororizes it could be a fragmented hyoid aswell. I am very happy he has extensive knowledge and didn't give me the same conclusion of not knowing as you all have experienced. I am going next week to have a CT scan and meet with a ENT to discuss a solution. My D.O. also did warn me that this condition is rare and there is not much knowledge out there about it and to be cautous of doctors suggestions. Similar to what others have suggested he did say it could be related to tension in the neck caused from stress. This makes perfect sense as this has happened mostly under times of serious stress (finals week). Please keep posting as you find more information about the problem as well as any helpful doctors. Shell K and the others: I will keep all of you in my prayers for a soloution to this problem.
Did your D.O. suggest the he/she do some manipulation of the hyoid and muscles attached to the hyoid?  Did your D.O. say that if all your tests were negative for a fracture that he/she would try to help you in that way?  Please let me know more of what your D.O. said, I am very interested since I have just started going to a D.O. also.  Thank you!
Hi. Like others here, I cannot believe so many people have this. For me, it first started as a feeling of a piece of popcorn stuck in my throat. From there it progressed to a lump feeling in my throat. Scared it was a tumor or something, I saw an ENT. Did a barium swallow. Everything good except for my thyroid muscle wasn't working in tandem with everything else while swallowing. I was referred to a gastroenterologist. Why, I don't know. i thought the thyroid was an ENT thing.

Anyway, I have since "graduated" to this clicking thing on my right side. Basically It feels like a cyst or whatever is pressing on the right side of my throat (Right above adams apple, near thyroid), and whenever I swallow I hear this clicking and rubbing. Not to mention that when I swallow solid foods, it hurts because the food rubs against my throat which is getting protruded from the outside from this lump. I can actually feel this click with my fingers on my neck when swallowing. Even worse when I turn my head to the left.

Hey GGCB, how is it going with that new doctor in Maine? Don't fret from your past doctors. It's amazing that how "smart" they are, yet they don't do the most common sense things like take an Xray while it is popped out. Or they'll order 5 tests before doing the test that should have been ordered first. I have time and time again seen this in most doctors. I look at this way. If a patient has the means to pay, and the test can either find something or rule something out, why not try it? it certainly can't hurt right? But No. Doctors are weird like that.

Anyway, GGCB, you're not going nuts. I know the feeling of not wanting to go on with life when you have an ailment, you have the symptoms, but there is no fix for it and you are basically forced to live with it. I have had medical problems in the past like that. Try not to give up.

O yeah, I know this is way out there, but is it possible for a hman being to live without this hyoid bone? If so, maybe just get it removed. I know that sounds crazy but if it is possible, you never know.
The first visit with the D.O. was nice and relaxing.  However, the second visit, they tried to release the hyoid, without telling me ahead of time what they were doing or that it could make the problem worse (I wish they said something, as I would have refused to let them do it)...not a good thing...it brought me all the way back to square one.  As soon as I left the office, I was in pain...just like the pain I just gotten rid of 24 days ago which I had for 18 months and made my quality of life almost non-existent...I called the doctor back and I went back in to see if he could calm it down..it calmed down a little, but my hyoid feels worse than when I first went in for help.  I am very frustrated...I cannot sign up for this again...now my hyoid is literally popping out BOTH sides AND FRONT of my neck constantly.  Extremely uncomfortable to swallow now.. I wish I left well enough alone.  I should have been satisfied to have just gotten rid of the pain in these past few weeks...but no...I had to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling and clicking in my throat too...I am such an idiot!  I guess I was just not thinking that treatment could make it worse...I had such confidence that it would get better.    If I had not gone to the D.O. this week and they had not done the hyoid release treatment (which I was told they hardly every do, after it was already done), then I would not be as in as bad a shape as I am in now.  I was told that everything that they do is gentle, and after that first visit, I trusted them to continue to be gentle, not to hurt me...I don't think it was right to lead me to believe that, and then out of the blue try a manipulation that is so harsh.I am back to going to bed most of the time.  I am making myself this promise though...If this pain ever goes away again (this time it may not) then I am NEVER going to let ANYONE touch my hyoid or neck EVER AGAIN.
Sorry to hear that. I am curious to know how this all started. I know you posted it, BUT what I mean is this. Right now you are in XYZ condition. Did you just wake up one day and this was like this? OR did this pain and problem gradually get worse and worse over the course of weeks, months, etc.? At what point did it really become a bother?

Also, I know this sounds off the wall, but I think if all of us here at this forum posted our habits, our weight, our routines, christ, down to what we do for a living and state we live in. I am sure there has to be a common link amongst all of us. I'll lead the way. Again, I know this is off the all but what is to be lost.

I am in NY. Male. I smoked till 2005, and have been smoke free since.
I am under weight slightly. Love to eat steaks on the BBQ. Love pasta. Kind of have somewhat medium to high stress in my life. Bad eye sight. mid 30's. Balding. High sexual energy. Need to sleep 9 hours to feel good.

I thought maybe that my problem was triggered from trying to lift too much weight while attempting to workout. Think about it, your neck kinda flexes and stresses when trying to lift alot of weight. But who knows. Did you try like advil or aleve to maybe reduce inflammation? I know, it sounds like you are at the end of your rope. Hang in there man.
I got mine from 5-6 weeks of extremely hard coughing, I coughed until I would dry-heave, that is how bad it was...I went to the doctor twice during that time and she did not treat it...so...a doctor's lack of action caused this to happen to me.  During the second week of my coughing is when this happened.  I did not just wake up with it, I got this from trauma from the cough (I was told by another doctor that it was probably misdiagnosed whooping cough).  It was bad right from the beginning, but the pain increased even more over the next 2 months then stayed that way for another 14 months until the end of April just this year when I had 24 days of blessed relief until my visit to the D.O. last week.  This problem has been a bother to the point that my life is nothing like the way it used to be before it.  

Well, here is my info:  I am from MA.  Female.  Never smoked or drank.  125 lbs., 5'5", fit.  I don't eat alot of meat, mostly fruits and vegetables, I eat 6 small meals instead of 3 larger ones.  Low to medium stress (if I didn't have this my stress level would be low).  Medium stress at work.  Bad eyesight.  Mid 40's.  Can't sleep well because of this, but I would do best with 7-8 hours of sleep.  

It is quite possible you did this while lifting weights.  At the beginning I took 2 advil 4 times a day just to take the edge off as it never really did much more than that.  I have had to cut down because I have been on it so long I don't want to hurt my stomach, so now I take 1 advil 1-2 times per day.  

I do have to say that today was not as bad as it has been recently.  I was very grateful to have such a good day today. I only needed 1 advil.  If I get some more days like this, it will lift my spirits and I will be able to hang in there.

When did your problem start?  What are your symptoms?  Have you had any luck with any doctors regarding it?  I wish you luck.
My problem started at the end of April. Started with just a minimal sensation of a piece of food stuck in my throat. From there it has progressed into a "piece of popcorn kernel" stuck in my throat and poking it. And then to a very tender spot on the right side of my throat/neck. But it's not actually on the inside of my throat. It's on the outside. I know this because salt water and other things like orange juice don't bother it.

If I push in the right side of my neck/throat (upper mid point on the right), I can hear and feel like I am clicking or rubbing something like cartilage, and it is tender. Doesn't happen on the left side though. Also, over the past couple days, now the bottom half of my neck has this tender type sensation and my neck feels tight like someone is restricting it.

When I swallow, the right side feels off. Like I can feel the food rub against whatever is pressing up against it on that right side, but the pressing is from the outside, not the inside. I also feel and hear a clicking thing going on on the right side when I swallow. I guess it is the hyoid bone rubbing against the thyroid ligament? But why? and why has it been getting worse especially since I have been taking it easy the past few weeks.

The ENT looked down my throat with the camera and all looked good.  I had a barium swallow and the only thing to come back was that my thryoid had dysmotility. I had a ct scan and am awaiting the results. I have also been referred to a Gastroenterologist. What do they have to do with this though?

I have been living on aleve and trying to get more relaxed. Seems to help a little. I even bought an asthma inhaler just in case for this throat tightening thing.

I guess I don't understand why it has gotten worse if I am making every attempt to take it easy. How can something like hyoid bone clicking and tenderness get worse if I am not provoking it? Can anyone answer this?

O yeah, forgot to mention that my teeth are pretty bad. Lots of fillings (Amalgams and composite). Even have a few implants. Don't know if that adds a piece to the puzzle. Just trying to see if there is something here that all of us have in common. Matter of fact one of my fillings came loose a few months back and now there is this hole in one of my teeth. Who knows.
The amount of pain I have and the severity of the clicking I have does not correlate with anything I am or am not doing.  I can be sitting and doing nothing...not even moving...and the pain gets worse, sometimes I can be working in the yard and the pain and clicking subsides and sometimes it gets worse.  I think the reason for this is that the pain is actually coming from nerves in our throat and neck, not really from the muscles and tissue around the hyoid, so if the hyoid is pressing on nerves, we get pain, and if it does not happen to be pressing on nerves (even if it is sticking out), then we get less or no pain.

Paste the following URL in your browser and read the entire article.  I think it really relates a lot to us:

http://dysphagia.com/maillist/2002-January/msg00146.html

The article also has some insight as to why it may happen...something about how the hyoid and thyroid cartilage and ligaments change shape as we get older in some people, but read it as it is very interesting.

Let me know what you think after you read it...

That link is now working for some reason
oops, meant to say That link is NOT working for some reason
OK, it is working now.
Very interesting. Is anyone else besides us reading this thread anymore? If so, let your presence be known. Maybe we can all find a link to this. Our habits, height, weight, age, etc...

I forgot to also mention that I do suffer from acne. Not really bad, but it's there. Just a another piece. Thanks.
Now, since I went to the D.O. and they did that "hyoid maneuver" my hyoid pinches against nerves and tissues in my throat ALL of the time instead of only once or twice a day...Like I need more pain, numbness, and discomfort to deal with.  I am so much worse since I went there.  I can't live like this...I don't think this is ever going to end...it keeps getting worse since the visit...I even had a few days where I had trouble dry swallowing (which I never had problem with during the entire time I have had this - Nov. 2006)...I wish I could turn back time to before I went, at least I could have lived with the level of discomfort I was having at that time, now, that's what I get for trying to find an answer, that is what I get for trying to improve my condition...punishment!!!  I just don't know what to do now...I can't go to an ENT and I can't go to a D.O.  I wish a doctor who visits this forum would give some suggestions...I can't take this any longer.  I have been at my new job for 5 weeks and was actually starting to be a little happy...now I am having trouble even functioning again.  Why is it that every single time I try to make things better, things only get worse...I am at the end of my rope...added to all of the other things that have happened in my so called "life"...this is the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back".
Occlusal appliance therapy for temporomandibular disorder is highly effective for muscle disorder of  masticatory , neck ,and upper shoulder muscles. The therapy is conservative. If you do not wish to invest for the treatment, you may try a simpler method. Place a cotton roll between your front teeth to disclude the back teeth. When your back teeth are seperated by cotton roll, tmj tends to seat more upward and backward than your teeth clenching position. This joint position is a musculoskeletally stable position, which would promote functional harmony of associated musculature. If this simple maneuver helps, I feel it's worth spending the money for definite occlusal therapy.
I’ve been having a problem very similar to this.  Occasionally, my throat pops out and I loose my voice.  It does so with a very sharp pain.  Then I have to hold my throat in place, with my finger, to talk afterwards.  I can feel two spots on the left side of my throat that are very sore.  One is directly left of my Adam’s Apple the other is up by the back of my jaw bone.

This first started after I had throat and sinus surgery 4 years ago for Sleep Apnea and has been happening about every 3-6 months.  Every time I have seen a Dr. about it, it has gotten better by the time I’ve actually gotten in to see them and of course, like many of you, they wrote it off as my imagination.

Yesterday this happened when I was eating lunch after I had been doing a lot of singing.  I decided to go to Urgent Care to get it checked out.  The Dr. there said he had the same problem.  He figured it was the Thyroid Cartilage popping over my Larynx.  He explained it like when a person throws out their knee and the tendon pops.  Since he was an Emergency Dr., he said there wasn’t anything more he could do and that I should see ENT about it again and to just try and rest my voice.

I’m glad I found this forum.  There is a lot of very good information here.  That is a great article, GGCB.
GGCB, Sorry to read that your having more pain.

I too get that feeling that popcorn and pills and other things that size get stuck back there.

I also have a problem with choking on my saliva ocasionally.  I'll be just sitting there and all of a sudden I'll just start choking and coughing.  Then my throat will close up and I can't breath.  The first time this happened I thought I was gonna die.  I went in for swallow tests, upper GI, and they said everything looks good.  They told me to try and just relax and breath through my nose when it happens.  I didn't think that was very good solution.  But, what can you do.
I am amazed that so many people are having problems with their hyoid too!  I have been having problems with it for at least a couple of years now.  Like Jamie Nelson, I too choke on my salyva, it actually runs on one side of my family.  Definately breathe out of your nose during that and I have recently discovered that if I massage where the collar bones connect right below my throat, for some reason it seems to help stop the coughing associated with it.  I'm 44 and have had problems with tmj.  I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis in Jr highschool and have had problems with my neck and back since highschool. I have been going to chiropractors on and off since then, but am pretty flexable and find that I can usually adjust most of my spine and joint misalignments back into place with stretches.  I tend to stretch out my neck and spine periodically by leaning back in a chair, dropping my head all the way down until my chin touches my chest and then putting my hands on the back of my head and gently rolling it foreward just a little bit more.  For about a couple of years or so now, I have noticed that when I do that particular stretch I get a pain in my throat like something is sticking me in the adams apple from inside.  That was the only symptom I had, so I didn't pay much attention to it.  There are probably lots of people with hyoids slightly misaligned that don't know it.  Over the past two or three weeks I developed a worsening feeling in my throat like there was a pill stuck in it on the right side.  When swallowing food, it seemed to get stuck midway down my throat, and eventually even water didn't seem to be going down well.  This sounds a little crazy but it also seemed that there was an air-bubble stuck behind the adams apple that was blocking the passage of water.  I would burp up air that didn't seem to be coming from my diaphragm every time I drank water.  Does anyone else have this?  I thought I had some kind of a faulty valve in there or a growth or something.  Fortunately, I didn't get the intense pain felt by many of you.

Has anyone tried seeing a good massage therapist (key word there being "good")?   A week ago I was talking to my sister about the throat thing.  She told me about the hyoid bone and how hers has been giving her trouble off and on for ten years now.  Years ago she saw a good massage therapist who fixed it for her and showed her how to adjust it back into place on her own.  My sister instructed me over the phone how to do it.  Originally I was moving the adam's apple back and forth because that's where I felt the lump in my throat, but that didn't work because the hyoid is above that.  

I don't know if this will be of any help to anybody, but this is what I do to fix my hyoid: The throat needs to be relaxed.  What works for me is sitting down, leaning foreward, and hanging my head down.  I spread my thumb and index finger appart and hold my throat (as though I were going to strangle myself) up high under the jaw, then slide my hand foreward about an inch so the thumb and fore- finger are about 3 inches appart.  I start up high and gently feel around until I find something that feels like a rubber ball that's right above the adam's apple.  I can almost get my fingers a little bit around it.  With my thumb on one side of the "ball" and my index finger on the other, I very gently slide the "ball" all the way to the left and then very gently all the way to the right (sort of from the underside of it) and while I'm doing this I can feel it "clicking" back and forth, back and forth.  When it stops clicking, I leave it the heck alone.  The symptoms disappeared until it would shift out of place on it's own again and then I'd have to readjust it again.  It stayed in place a little longer each time I did it and now so far has stayed in place on it's own.  Like I said before, I don't have the extreme pain that many of you do.  I don't know that I would try to adjust it myself if I had that kind of pain... I would be afraid that it was litterally sticking into something in my neck and it could cut something in there if I messed around with it.  Use your best judgement because only you know what you have been living with.  

Well when I do that chin-to-chest stretch, I don't get that stab in my adams apple anymore, but now I am having a kind of what I would call a "tingling burning sensation" that is like what I get when I've been crying a long hard cry or get "choked up".  Does anyone else have anything like that?  It's only on the right side, though, where the pill-in-my-throat feeling was.  It's been on and off now since I readjusted the hyoid bone.  It feels better when I drink ice water or put a cold compress on it.  I am guessing that the throat tissue is probably irritated from all that time that the bone was misaligned.  I am hoping that it will eventually stop.  I still burp up air that doesn't come from my diaphragm every time I drink water.  Hopefully this too will pass.  

Best of luck to all of you.
I just wanted to post an update.  As of today the tingling burning sensation in my throat where the hyoid used to stick in my throat before I adjusted it is gone now.  No sign of it all day long!  I hope for relief for all of you soon.  Best of luck.
I have had a episodic issue that feels similar to what you all describe a few times over the past few years as well!   What happens with me is that the right side of my throat will suddenly feel as if it has "cramped" or something, and has knotted into a ball that protrudes into the inside of my throat.  I have found that my solution is to swallow, which seems to "pop" something back into place, almost as if something (I describe it as my adams apple) had become stuck underneath/behind something else (felt like a muscle or tendon) in my neck, and the swallowing "freed it back up".  The swallowing hurts excrituatingly, and I really do NOT want to do it when it happens, but it does fix the issue and the feeling usually dissipates quickly, if not emotionally. :)

I have described the feeling to many people and no one understands what I am talking about.  It has only happened to me maybe 10 times in the past ten years, but the thing about it is that it is SO VERY frighteneing.  It is unsettling in a manner that I have never experienced with ANYTHING else, even injury.   The pain is fleeting for me (maybe only 3 seconds max for the event, then sore for a while afterward), and while it is very bad in itself, the eposides are just so ODD feeling as to leave me shaking an nauseous, and in TOTAL FEAR of it happening again.      

I have done like many of you have, and have stopped yawning deeply, swallowing with my head tilted/turned, or even streching my neck extensively in attempts at prevention.  I had given up on anyone figuring out what it is, but while it is ridiculously frightening, rare intances are not life-threatening, and I think they can be dealt with, and I had not thought about the issue (conciously - always scared of it unconciously :) for a few years.

I am at this site today because I started doing research again - I woke up this weekend with SEVERE thouch-sensitivity on the LEFT side of my throat, not around my hyoid (from what I can see of anatomical diagrams on the internet) but almost BEHIND where the thyriod cartelige is (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gray1194.png).  I also have tenderness in some muchsles in my neck, extending to my inner left clavicle, my left rear and front jaw, and even my left inner ear.  There are muscles concting the hyoid (and the thyoid cartelidge) to all of these points (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Infrahyoid_muscles.png and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Digastricus.png).  I especially get pain when I turn my head 45 degrees to the left and put my head back - going back and coming back up causes pain in my throat, almost like either the muscles are strained/torn OR that the nuscle movement is causing something in my throat to move/hurt.  At first I thought it was perhaps just an after-effect of the swallowing-thing having taken place during my sleep or something, and that it would wear off, but it has not over the past two days and I am starting to be concerned that I have fractured something.  (I was singing loudly on Friday night, and am thing that perhaps haev been the cause).

Anyway - it is just really good to know that there are other people that experience this odd sensation as well.  I know that some people think you are crazy but it is such a frightening experience that it cannot be anythign but real :)  I hope you all feel well - if my pain/discomfort continues I plan on seeing my doctor, and if I do will let you all know how it goes.

Thank youa ll for being here and best of luck!!
HI , kinda new to this but i have had these issues since a car accideny in 2006. Ear pain ,throat pain and heaches, neck pain all of it....
But i saw a doctor first one in years that didn't bypass nor brush off my symtoms. He is the 1st and only specialistf for this issue with the hyid bone. His name is Ira Klemis in south amboy, nj. Center for headacke,neck and facial pain. My attorney sent me there . I thought one of those docs just for the accident but he actually is worried about relieving pain and takes care of people all over the world . he gurantees relief. He will even pay for it if ur insurance company refuses but u have to complete his treatment. He is almost 2hr from me and i did the consultation but haven't made my treatments as i soon willhave no chose. its becoming hard to eat ,drink and it hurts bad, I am a mother of 3 and work so it seems impossible to take care myself, so i deal with the pain. so make the time , it;ll be worth it! look him up if u want the# me know . Pass on this doctors name ....
I'm sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain for the last two years.  It's good that you found this specialist.  Hopefully he will be a Godsend for you.  Thanks for sharing the info.  Luckily I won't need it because I am having no return of symptoms since I adjusted my own hyoid, but it could help everyone on this posting.  I wish you and everyone else here a complete recovery as well.  
Not sure if this is relevant, but I had the hyoid problem on and off along with light headedness and fatigue. I am going to the chiropractor now and he says my neck is way off. Muscles tight, spasms, discs, etc.. It is possible he said that the tightness and spasms make everything including the hyoid move to one side and poke. He is adjusting me every other day and so far little by little it seems to help. Just a thought.
Sorry but I don't speak english.
I'm taking clonazepam, 0.5mg at night before to sleep and I'm feel better.

Bye
Before I accept my diagnosis of hyoid bone inflamation I am having my esophogus scoped , ENT has said throat looks fine and he can see the hyoid bone pushing against my throat. Intense burning , stinging pain, along sides of throat and my vocal cords hurt and get very tired after talking. My tongue tingles and feels funny along both sides. ENT also says I have EPR and GERD (had GERD for 20 years), had bad bout with H Pylori 10 years ago. Sharp pains between my shoulder blades, also pain and ringing in ears.
I hope my stomach and esophogus are fine but how can you live with these other symptoms and pains- these just started with me in July, although funny feeling when swallowing about 2 years. 55 year old female, not overweight, don't drink or smoke-do have slight posture problem, nothing severe. I no longer drink carbonated drinks and recently have watered down my coffee. Soy milk and yogurt feels great going down but usually gives me burping and indigestion.
I am in shock right now...I have been going through this for a while with my throat "popping out" after swallowing/eating, talking, yawning, etc.  I have gotten to the point where if I roll my neck from the right to the left, it will normally pop back in on its own, but sometimes I have to pop it back in with my hands.

I am so happy to have seen all these posts here and to know I am not alone, although I wouldn't wish the shock of this on anyone!  I have had swollen/infected tonsils for a while now that no doctors seem to want to do anything about, and the throat issues seemed to start shortly after my glands became very swollen from the tonsil infection and I have never been the same since.

At first when it would pop out it would send an overwhelming pain through my entire neck and I would go into complete panic mode, but lately, knock on wood, there has been no pain associated with it, although it is happening every day now.

I hope to see and ENT soon, and will keep everyone posted if I hear anything new and interesting about this.  Good luck to you all!!
I spent two days almost totally quiet and had no symptoms, thought maybe the meds were working. Then next day went into work, talked, watched grandsons, talked, laughed-then the pain started. Terrible raw, stinging pains on vocal cords, tight crushing pains in chest. What is crazy is it feels better while I eat. My hyoid bone feels like something is swollen around it, not as sharp when I feel it. These symptoms are scaring me, no one understands how bad it feels. Does anyone feel ok when they don't talk but once you talk a while everything starts?
oh my gosh... what a relief!  I have had these symptoms all my life... beginning when I was 13.  If I inadvertently twisted my neck suddenly, there was a pop and a feeling as if I was being strangled.  Swallowing was excrutiating.  It only happened about once every year or two, and I learned to "pop" it back, and not to panic.  However, now I am middle aged and it is happening much more frequently, and leaves me with a sore neck and vocal problems.  I am sitting here now with a sore neck and trying to move very slowly.  I do some public speaking and I am  terrified that it will happen in public.  I did not even know there was a hytoid bone!  I am taking this entire discussion to my doctor.  Has anyone had some long term, positive results from treatment?  Thanks for posting.  What a relief!
Hi to all,

For about a 5 months I  have had a clicking sensation in my throat. It all started with alot of sore throats, crypic tonsils, and alot of doctor appointments. Then one dau after seeing all these doctors I was prescribed amoxicillin, penicillin, Z-pac, and clonzapam.

I am now going to a PT for neck massages and exercises on my neck. What i am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and if so wgat did your doctor say about this condition? I am sick of having this feeling in my throat and if anyone can help me out, please come and chat with me.
Thanks everyone!!!
I have been reading some of these comments for the past year or so, off and on.  I have a similar problem where I thought my hyoid bone was dislocating when I would be laying down, turning my neck and or yawning.  I would get a very severe pain in my neck near where the hyoid bone is located.  To get it dislodged I would push on the area with my hand and swallow, this would immediately fix the problem, but I would feel the area was then irritated or swollen, which would then cause the problem to happen more frequently. Eventually things would improve for about a month or two, then the cycle would begin again.  I recently decided it was time to get things checked out.  I am a dental hygienist, none of my docs new anything about this, so I went to my MD, she sent me to an ENT.  He was quite helpful, and was confident in his dx.  He said it was not my hyoid bone that was dislocating, but rather the stylohyoid ligament that was likely catching on my C-Spine.  With my line of work, my neck is in an awkward position a large portion of the day, contributing to my problem.  The Dr. rec'd I change my position when I work, take NSAIDS when the problem flares up to break the cycle, and get some physical therapy.  He said there is a surgical procedure that could help, but he rarely performs it, it involves  breaking the styloid bone, you can look this procedure up online if you Google Eagle's Syndrome.  I'm not sure, but maybe this is what we have, Eagle's Syndrome is when there is calcification of the stylohyoid ligament, which can become symptomatic.  Although I didn't see anyone with this clicking/ getting stuck feeling like we have.  Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's input.  Thank you!  Laura
Well, endoscopy tomorrow morning, checking to see if still have Barrett's Esophogus or complications from that, have GERD, Had H-pylori. I am very nervous and hungry , of course, but just anxious to get it over with. Need to eliminate the fear of cancer and then will proceed with MRI of thryoid and perhaps Eagle's Syndrome, I found that also just searching symptoms. Something is working in unison to cause burning throat (that feels good while eating???) , problems swallowing-like bones rub together-, pain, tenderson and swelling around hyoid bone, shooting pains into ears, tight chest pains after eating meals and terrible pain between shoulder blades. Could this be combo of LPR, GERD and hyoid bone inflamation????????? I am praying all comes out well-thanks
I have had similar symptoms for about 8 months, ever since shortly after I went to the dentists for bridgework.  Additionally, I have soreness on my left jaw area and an area of soreness all along the fibers (not sure if muscle or tendons) from just below my left ear all the way down my neck down to the shoulder bone.   I do have GERD, quite badly, and I have vocal cord nodules.   Also, I have TMJ -  Temporomandibular joint disorder.   Does anyone else have TMJ?  Wondering if there could be a connection.  I have that pressure sensation that someone was talking about, mostly in left jaw area, and pain in jaw area, and when I "pop" my jaw by an exaggerated movement, it makes it feel better, but usually only for a little bit.  These aches are almost a daily occurrence these days, for awhile now.  I have the clicking in the throat and the sore muscle type area in throat at the base of the tongue.   Also, I have that sore "ball" feeling up under the tongue area, too.   I was very glad to find your community and be able to feel not quite so alone with this problem.  I have an appointment with an ENT next week, and I will tell him about this and see what he says.  Thank you!
I also get the tingling burning in my throat, like you try not to cry, but 10 times worse.
Then after I talk awhile my vocal cords get tired and start to really hurt. Doctor says all part of LPR and hyoid being inflamed. endoscopy went well, but I still have Barrett's , but nothing has gotten worse and I am thankful for that. Went today to reg doctor as my chest pains were horrible all weekend. Had an EKG, then basic X-rays, will find out Wednesday how that is. I just have to eliminate big scares so I can deal with this terrible chest, throat and back pain!
Has your progressed to chest pain?
I'm glad to find other people to relate to. I decided to search about this chronic condition after I started my anatomy of the larynx chapter for my graduate program.(speech pathology) I have been living with "something" popping out of place in my throat for as long as I can remember. I'm 27 now. My mother said it happens to her also. I think it may be genetic. It can be fine for months and then it can start chronically happening sometimes daily. The pain of the dislocation and the annoyance of putting it back in place is stressful. It seems ridiculous to me that no doctors would know of the condition or have any answers when this many people suffer from similar symptoms. I noticed most of us have it on the left side more, yawning brings it on as well as moving in odd positions. I just wish there was an answer:(
I developed this terrible problem after a pretty standard whiplash injury while lifting a beam and twisting overhead. Ever since 9 months ago my hyoid bone clicks out of place when I rotate my head to the left and it feels as if something is poking inward on the esophagous, when it gets bad it feels like someone is strangling me and I sleep every night in upright position because the throat pressure is unbearable. I have done extensive research and seen at least 10 doctors for my injury (it is my utmost priority to find a cure and conquer this), an ENT at the University of Southern California finally held a stethoscope up to my throat and listened to the clicking and put his finger over it, he told me it was probably the hyoid bone rubbing against some cartilage. My CAT scan and throat scope was normal.  But I am very confident what causes this problem, because of the way in which it was brought on, very similar to how people here injured themselves coughing I was straining my neck . It is obvious to me that the cartilage or a ligament got stretched and small fibers torn which causes a sort of instability and rubbing in the region. I am fortunate enough to live in Los Angeles, where they have actually sucessfully treated and performed multiple documented medical surgeries at the UCLA medical Center to treat this condition which seems to most frequently be caused by the elongation of the superior cornu (research this article on Pub-Med), or a superior cornu that is slightly displaced. This is most definitely not psychogenic but a real structural problem with the neck that has been documented it is by no means a medical enigma, and if any doctor tells you otherwise go and print up this article (google dysphagia in 25 year old you will come across this wonderful article http://dysphagia.com/mlist/2002-January/msg00146.html) They can go in and shave the offending cartilage and this surgery has been successful so do not lose hope. Every day of my life is a struggle and  because swallowing and breathing got so uncomfortable I was going to the ER so I deeply sympathize and relate to those of you suffering. I am currently getting a swallow test and rehab, and waiting 3 months to decide if I want to go ahead with the surgery. In the meanwhile I would focus on strengthening the anterior neck muscles and supporting muscular structures of the hyoid bone through isometric and resistant training exercises (google isometric neck exercises); this seems to be the only thing that has broughten me relief. The stronger the muscles are the less episodes I have had, and it has helped reduced frequency of popping with head rotation. I have also noticed that when I yawn something feelings like its going to explode and I get tension headaches, obviously there is a whole interconnectivity going on with the jaw, hyoid bone, and neck and this can lead to headaches. My headaches seem to shoot up and radiate from the hyoid bone. Another thing I think everyone should explore is prolotherapy (Lidocaine and Dextrose injections). This procedure has been known to strengthen and thicken ligaments and rebuild cartilage (it is theoretically possible that if the stretched ligament scars up more through prolo the clicking will subside), but I do not know if any doctors perform it on the hyoid region and how safe it is ( I do know they used Lidocaine at UCLA as a preemptive diagnostic before undergoing surgery for this condition) I am currently researching this. If anyone has any questions feel free to email ***@**** I have seen a lot of doctors and can help give more advice or just share experiences. I also would be grateful if anyone can tell me if they have stiffness or trouble turning their neck when they change lanes on the freeway? I wish everyone the best of luck with this terrible ailment.