Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Cutting lapse- Swollen arm
About This Forum:

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cutting lapse- Swollen arm

Long story short, I had a cutting lapse late Saturday night (two nights ago) and now that area on my arm is puffy. I didn't notice that area was swollen until 6am this morning (however I never got a chance to look at it and clean it before then). From around 8pm last night till around 6am this morning, I was keeping a hair band around that area on my arm because my sweater had a whole in it and I didn't want my cuts to show. It's now 6 hours after I took the hair scrunchy off and noticed my arm was swollen and its still puffy. My arm is only swollen around the cuts and on those sides. It's not hot but a little warm, and it doesn't hurt. I'm seeking out treatment for my eating disorder now, but I want to do it at my own pace. Cutting hasn't been an issue for me in years, but I'm afraid if I got to my schools health center/a doctor they'll push me into a program. I don't know what to do about my arm, nothing like this has ever happened before. Why is my arm swollen? Can I treat it on my own? How long should I wait before I need to see a doctor? I'm 18 and go to school out of state, but if I had a drunk breakdown and had a cutting lapse could they force me to seek help somewhere?
514715_tn?1338269858
Anon02138, I hope you sought medical treatment for your arm, as it could be infected.  I know you are scared about the consequences.  Yet during assessment professionals are understand the trigger, look at the frequency and how you are currently getting support, prior to making a recommendation.  I would never be ashamed of reaching out when you have a need.  It really is okay.  You want to understand and work through what caused your need to cut.  Cutting and eating disorders can go hand in hand. To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website.  Good luck, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
Blank
This Forum's Experts
514715_tn?1338269858
Patricia Pitts, PhDBlank
The Bella Vita - Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity