Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Question about surgical risks & complications,

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Dear Dr,
I am 37, 5.5 and 217b, I were plan get Lap_band Nov, but i found some new info from some web,they said the new report show surgical risks & complications rate is going up...40%-70%, but i got the book name is " Lap-band for life " write by Dr.Ortiz, he just write down 11.3% complications.
Please tell me the truth !!! Because I am cash pay person, i need do financial plan or cansel this surgery. Thanks !!!

MEI
Unfortunately, most of the studies differ in regard to the per centage because some include minor complications and some major.  You would be safe to bet that it is somewhere between the two figures, and most of the complications are fairly minor, and lapband, in the hands of an expert who does many of these, is the safest of the surgical procedures.  But, if you would conquer your emotional eating habit, you wouldn't need any surgery at all, and that would be the best for you.